will upgrade fairy stop by if we pick our cabin?

dickinson

Just booked a short 4 day cruise for next year (California Coastal) before our Hawaii cruise. Just did an inside guarantee. TA said we had a better chance of being upgraded this way than if we picked a cabin. i hadn't heard that before. Is this true? I thought if you didn't mark it "no upgrade" then they could upgrade you if they so desired.

Just booked a short 4 day cruise for next year (California Coastal) before our Hawaii cruise. Just did an inside guarantee. TA said we had a better chance of being upgraded this way than if we picked a cabin. i hadn't heard that before. Is this true? I thought if you didn't mark it "no upgrade" then they could upgrade you if they so desired.

There is no way of knowing, a gty could be an instant upgrade or the cat you gty'd in. Regardless you could still be upgraded either way. Its a long way away so anything could happen. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We booked a standard (cheapest) balcony with a cabin number chosen on our Star Princess cruise to Hawaii and had the Princess rep (we booked directly with Princess as we had always done so in the past) mark us as "meta" upgrade only. We had never received any real upgrade by booking as a guarantee only on all previous Princess cruises. This time, and with a cabin choice made, we ended up five days from the cruise date getting an upgrade from our cheapest balcony to a mini-suite! No matter what the TA says I believe that there is no rhyme or reason for the upgrades that people get. Good luck with your upgrade hopes! :cool:

Edited by ar1950

We had picked our obstructed view cabins on Emerald deck and marked "no upgrade" so we would be near our DD's cabin. At the pier, we had be upgraded to Plaza deck, unobstructed view cabin. Being on different decks ended up a non-issue and we enjoyed the location of our cabin. So you just do not know.

Booked gty 3 months out, got an upgrade to highest category booked. Many first time cruises got incredible upgrades, lowest inside to top balcony cat , minis and suites. Other than first timers and fewest cruises no one else getting upgraded to better cat. Agree, only Princess knows. Seadeck2

We have selected specific cabins and then were given upgrades. So it can happen for both GTY bookings and for selected cabin bookings.

Only the one with the wand knows which has the better chance.

1585601918_upgradefairy.jpg.415c7e7d6f0778652ec4a7ee5b5430e9.jpg

If you are not a fanatic about the cabin you must have, then a guarantee can work well. Just pick the lowest category you will accept and hope for an upgrade. it could be to a "better" location or to a higher category.

We sometimes do this for Caribbean hops and have had several upgrades into higher categories.

Thanks all!

We have cruised Princess 2x and both times in Window Suites. Before that when we cruised Carnival it was years ago and were on ships that had lots of outside cabins so we were in those. Princess cabins are small (so I hear as Window Suites are not!) and probably future cruises will not be in Window Suites so we figured a short cruise would give us a chance to sample a different category type. We didn't just pick a balcony because this is not a cruise we would have picked because we wanted to go on a cruise. We mostly wanted to get to Platinum before the Hawaii cruise, sample another cabin type without too much time invested being in it and going to San Diego for the day. We will be in CA for the Hawaii cruise so we are just going a little earlier for this one.

Every cruise that we booked a category "Guarantee" , on all cruise lines that we have cruised , we never received a cabin in the category that we booked .

Upgraded on every one.

Sometimes only 1 category , several times many categories.

Upgrades are usually done by computer based on demand and availability. You are more likely to be upgraded if you book the lowest category than the highest, and, I think, the space management software is programmed to upgrade GTYs more than assigned cabins. Doesn't mean you can't or won't be upgraded if you select a cabin.

We always book a specific cabin and usually we get no upgrades as we have done B2Bs. However, one cruise we had booked an inside on Plaza deck and got an upgrade to an inside on Baja. It was a move up for an IC to an IB and we liked the cabin.

So you can be upgraded from a regularly booked room as well.

We've sailed 3 times with Princess.

1. Booked a balcony guarantee, BF, got a BA cabin assignment on Caribe deck.

2. Booked a selected cabin for B2B minisuite, was upgraded to a Vista Suite for both legs.

3. Late min-suite guarantee booking, since there were no mini-suites available for the holiday sailing, and we were assigned a MA mini on Dolphin deck.

So, if you count #1 and 3 as upgrades, we've had fantastic luck. I'm not sure a BA assignment when booking a balcony guarantee is really an upgrade - or just a cabin assignment.. Either way, doesn't bother me, as long as I have a cabin.

"will upgrade fairy stop by if we pick our cabin?"

We always pick our cabin and she stopped by once only to drink most of my Bombay Sapphire and then left without saying a word.:rolleyes:

Mike:)

caribill your upgrade fairy looks much nicer than I imagine mine to look. mine is MIA more often than not, she doesn't give you a cabin for months and then gives you the lowly cabin you booked and she also upgrades everyone on the roll call but you. I am trading mine in for the lovely fairy in your photo who I'm sure would sprinkle her magic upgrade dust on all us cc'ers.

We always pick our cabin and she stopped by once only to drink most of my Bombay Sapphire and then left without saying a word.:rolleyes:

Awww a wise guy eh? Nuk nuk nuk.

:D:D

We'll be ok even if we get a bad cabin. It is only 4 days so how bad could it be? :eek::eek: It is sort of an adventure. After that cruise we will be in a Window Suite going to Hawaii. Ahhhhhhh.

:D:D

We'll be ok even if we get a bad cabin. It is only 4 days so how bad could it be? :eek::eek: It is sort of an adventure. After that cruise we will be in a Window Suite going to Hawaii. Ahhhhhhh.

Great attitude!;)