Disappointing First Time on Celebrity

cynicalscotsman

Having cruised with Royal Caribbean on multiple occasions we thought the time was right to try 'modern luxury' so booked an 8 night Fjord cruise on Eclipse.

We have just returned and here are my initial impressions of Celebrity:

The positives...

- The Eclipse herself is a stunning & modern ship.

- The food in the MDR was excellent.

- The stateroom attendant and waitstaff were great.

- The itinerary was fantastic and the ports of call were very beautiful.

The negatives...

- The bar service time was awful (sometimes up to 20 minutes in the sky lounge)

- The bar staff were uninterested, did not engage and were less than attentive.

- The oceanview at lunch was a nightmare - there are not enough seats and it seems a lot of guests seem to stay there for hours on end watching people struggle to find somewhere to eat.

- The oceanview tables were rarely cleared.

- The entertainment although good was not brilliant.

The biggest problem was the drinks package! It seemed celebrity would do anything to make people upgrade! They avoided putting pricelists out, when they did put them out they listed only premium drinks and not classic drinks! They changed prices on a daily basis to limit the amount available on the classic package... Bacardi, Stoli, Smirnoff Ice & Bailieys were available to start and one by one they were not as the cruise progressed!

We did upgrade as planned 1/2 way through although we felt that there unsubtle 'up-selling' technique was completely underhand.

I was expecting a premium cruise - perhaps I was expecting too much but to be honest I have consistently received better service on Royal Caribbean and will probably not sail with Celebrity again owing to the poor service on Eclipse.

Edited by cynicalscotsman

Having done the fjords on the Eclipse last year, I have to agree that the seating in the buffet is a problem for this itinerary. I put it down to the combination of the cold often rainy weather that tends to keep passengers confined indoors as well as the fact that there seemed to be a lot of socializing going on for extended periods. Passengers didn't seem to want to break things up, because really, where else are large groups able to sit and talk? The Aqua Spa Cafe tables were also kept full with groups just sitting and talking despite the table cards that encouraged moving along to make room for diners.

The bar pricing would have driven me nuts if I had been using the Classic pkg. I tend to get comfortable with a few drinks that I know to be included and it would have confused the heck out of me to be denied today what I had just ordered yesterday. I may have embarrassed myself by insisting that the bartender was mistaken. I can imagine that they would have been extremely agitated at having to repeatedly point out that the prices had inflated overnight. I do feel badly for the situation that Celebrity put them in.

On the plus side, since the classic package choices keep shrinking, they should soon be able to list all of the Classic Beverage pkg drinks on a single table card so people can clearly see their choices.

Edited by thebutlerdidit

I am sorry your first cruise with Celebrity was disappointing for you

I was on this cruise and can sympathise with you regarding the drinks problem and sometimes the bar service, even though I felt they probably did their best

We were lucky and didn't notice the problems you mention about the buffet, but I only have P and O to compare it with and Celebrity Is far better

I am glad you liked the fjords, wasn't it stunning, and I agree that Eclipse is a lovely ship

We only saw 2 shows as we had late seating dinner, did you see the face changing man?

Hopefully you won't be put off Celebrity and may try another cruise

I guess the upside to your "disappointment" is that your next cruise can only be better? :rolleyes:

While some of your issues may have been specific to this ship and crew, I don't think you would find that to be the case across the board... at least not in my number of sailings on Celebrity.

Sorry to hear that you didn't love your trip. We're looking into the beverage and beverage package issue, as well as the buffet issues. Thank you for sharing your feedback, and if you choose to sail with us again, these issues should be properly addressed.

Yours is just one of multiple similar complaints all over this board about Celebrity the last couple of weeks. :eek:

I'm hoping someone at corporate takes notice and makes some changes quickly.

All in all, the positives way out weigh the negatives.

What are you going to do??? Remember it's the buffet and with the campers pretty much anything goes ....... I've even seen them playing cards. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yours is just one of multiple similar complaints all over this board about Celebrity the last couple of weeks. :eek:

I'm hoping someone at corporate takes notice and makes some changes quickly.

Sorry to hear that you didn't love your trip. We're looking into the beverage and beverage package issue, as well as the buffet issues. Thank you for sharing your feedback, and if you choose to sail with us again, these issues should be properly addressed.

Wow. That's quick customer service!

Glad to hear someone finally noticed! :)

All in all, the positives way out weigh the negatives.

What are you going to do??? Remember it's the buffet and with the campers pretty much anything goes ....... I've even seen them playing cards. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We have seen the same thing on multiple ships and lines. RCI often does announcements on embarkation day asking guests to relinquish their seats so others can eat. We have seen people playing cards and simply ignore it, (yes the staterooms were open). Saw staff officer approach the table and kindly ask them to move on. They huffed and they puffed and made a huge scene about it. Acted like they were royalty or something.

Funny , we sailed RC once and said never again after waiting 20 to 30 mins. a few times lined up outside the buffet and then when there was no waiting we were TOLD where to sit/.. . We love Celebrity buffet!

We are not interested in the drink package so we can't comment on this.

- The oceanview at lunch was a nightmare - there are not enough seats and it seems a lot of guests seem to stay there for hours on end watching people struggle to find somewhere to eat.

This was probably my biggest complaint about Solstice. There just wasn't enough seating in the Oceanview. That, and how close together the tables were in the MDR. I really got the impression the open dining was not their focus.

:D its in the genes!

Dont get me wrong it did not spoil the cruise but the experience will make me think twice about using celebrity again!

The Fjords were fantastic! The weather was reasonable for Norway at this time of year which was a bonus!

I'm an X newbie and just got back from the Solstice. We are about 90% satisfied. DW and I might have 2 esspresso drinks each per day, a glass of wine or two for dinner and maybe a beer or fancy cocktail before dinner most days. I kept close tabs on our expenses through out the cruise. On average we spent about $64.00 per day for both of us. (Less gratuities). If we bought the premium drink package for the two of us it would be nearly double the cost of our beverage consumption. Being a bit of a Scot myself, I'd feel compelled to drink more to get my monies worth. I'd be shipfaced drunk and/or hungover too much to enjoy the cruise. For us pay as you go is cheaper. If we want a fancy drink from the martini or molecular bar, we will have one without worrying about our package covering the cost.

There is so much to love about X. I am sorry you suffered some bait and switch tactics. After finally getting to cruise with Celebrity, we felt they met or exceeded our expectations most of the time, but when "Modern Luxury" meets lets be cheap and give the pax the cheapest coffee we can serve them or lets buy the cheapest TP to save money and lets see if we can get them to fork over $118 dollars for two on a premium drink package that they will not get full advantage of it tarnishes the brand.

Edited by jgreenwo17

Most of us who have cruised before recognize the need for change and for Celebrity to have a profit for their company and shareholders. However, the new "rules" for beverage packages for example should affect only new bookings. For those of us who booked and were lured in by the (now) deceptive 123GO package, the change in the program looks exactly like Bait and Switch................lure them in with one offer and then change it after they are booked. Such a tactic is illegal in the US and in many countries so I wonder how you can justify this procedure.....other than just by saying so.

Celebrity is irritating a lot of their loyal and repeat customers I think.

If the new prices and inclusions/exclusions were understood before and during booking I would have no grievance. But to make these changes for booked passengers and for passengers DURING a cruise is unforgiveable.

Couldn't you have eaten in the MDR for lunch instead of the buffet?

Likely an anomaly, but the absolute worst lunch I have ever had on a cruise was on the Solstice a few days ago. Since it was an Hawaiin itinerary they offered mahi mahi for their fish selection. Freezer burned and way overcooked. This was done on a mass scale. Thank God for Blu for breakfast and for lunch, the buffet was pretty good.

We have seen the same thing on multiple ships and lines. RCI often does announcements on embarkation day asking guests to relinquish their seats so others can eat. We have seen people playing cards and simply ignore it, (yes the staterooms were open). Saw staff officer approach the table and kindly ask them to move on. They huffed and they puffed and made a huge scene about it. Acted like they were royalty or something.

In addition to the muster drill, I think pax need to see a video on cruise courtesy. Kudos to the staff that get people to share with others.

I'm sorry you encountered these problems in the buffet............we're just off the same cruise and can honestly say that the tables were never cleared so fast............ we were a party of 4 and never waited for a table........and they were cleared so fast in our area......it was brilliant..........

Last year on the Summit, tables weren't cleared and we found ourselves sitting at dirty tables....................it didn't happen this year..........tables were cleared promptly.....

We had a great cruise. In fact we booked another cruise for next year.

Thank you! The folks that hog tables in eating venues is not unique to Celebrity within RCCL. We last notices it at the Park Cafe on RCL's Brilliance of the Seas. Perhaps this is something that the new Corporate COO can take on Corporate wide ;)

Congrats to Adam on his new position and Good Luck!!!

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

I think changes & cutbacks are happening on many lines. Just off a Royal ship last week. Slow to non-existent bar service in theatre, ice show and pool. Had the thinnest slice of prime rib I have ever seen in the dining room. Cabin stewards didn't have assistants- a few less cabins to take care of but clearly understaffed.

On the plus side - the Diamond club is great with wonderful service. Undated to the Navigator are very nice.

We were on the TransAtlantic before your cruise...

-Noticed no problems with the buffet as regards table clearing or people lurking.The weather was good most of the time however (except the last few days as we got into the English Channel)

-Sky Lounge was busy in the early evenings, but otherwise seemed fine.

-Bar service was generally quick, friendly and generous. One or two exceptions naturally, but nothing terrible.

- we had a premium alcohol package. No problems. Lots to drink - in many venues.

I do think the positives of your post outweigh the negatives...but I am a glass half-full person, so there is that.

I'm an X newbie and just got back from the Solstice. We are about 90% satisfied.

There is so much to love about X. After finally getting to cruise with Celebrity, we felt they met or exceeded our expectations most of the time, but when "Modern Luxury" meets lets be cheap and give the pax the cheapest coffee we can serve them or lets buy the cheapest TP to save money and lets see if we can get them to fork over $118 dollars for two on a premium drink package that they will not get full advantage of it tarnishes the brand.

In light of the various negatives of Celebrity you mention, would you mind elaborating on the 90% that satisfied you? Our first cruise and only Celebrity cruise was in 2006 -- that is a long time ago, and we have often thought of sailing with Celebrity again, but we can only get a feel for what the line is like now from those of you who have sailed more recently.

Thanks in advance for what you may bring to the table (no pun intended...)

..... We're looking into the beverage and beverage package issue.....

Thank you Celebrity. Hopefully you will compensate those of us who booked back when the original Classic beverage menus were in effect. A very simple gesture would be to offer an OBC to offset the cost of the upgrade to Premium.