Expensive Lesson Learned

KEG21552

As I am sitting here recovering from knee surgery, I decided to share my "lightbulb" moment. We were recently on the Equinox and had a great time. We purchased trip insurance which covered everything from cancellation to evacuation.

On the first night, I took a nasty fall and landed on my knee. Falling is not out of the realm of possibilities for me, but this time I landed on my knee and the pain was so severe I thought I may have broken my kneecap. (By the way, has anyone else tripped over the elevation in the hallway headed back to the aft cabins? I tripped over that stupid ramp almost every day, even when I knew it was there!)

Hobbled back to cabin to nurse my wounds. Next morning, surprisingly, no pain! Could walk, do stairs, pivot, whatever, no pain. A little bruising on the back, but just figured I had dodged a bullet and went about my business.

Fast forward to the week after we got home and visit to Dr to have fluid drained from extremely swollen knee. It was less than successful and 2 weeks later, surgery to remove fluid, scar tissue and whatever else needed to be removed.

As I was paying for the co-pay, it occurred to me than if I had the sense to go to the infirmary, I would have proof that injury happened on cruise and the insurance probably would have paid for anything my primary insurance doesn't cover.

Lesson learned, just have any injury checked out.

I am certainly not blaming anyone or anything for my idiot mistake, I am only sharing so maybe someone else can avoid making it.

Now on to rehabbing and looking forward to our next Celebrity cruise in March.

Happy Sails

Karen

Edited by KEG21552
Correction

As I am sitting here recovering from knee surgery, I decided to share my "lightbulb" moment. We were recently on the Equinox and had a great time. We purchased trip insurance which covered everything from cancellation to evacuation.

On the first night, I took a nasty fall and landed on my knee. Falling is not out of the realm of possibilities for me, but this time I landed on my knee and the pain was so severe I thought I may have broken my kneecap. (By the way, has anyone else tripped over the elevation in the hallway headed back to the aft cabins? I tripped over that stupid ramp almost every day, even when I knew it was there!)

Hobbled back to cabin to nurse my wounds. Next morning, surprisingly, no pain! Could walk, do stairs, pivot, whatever, no pain. A little bruising on the back, but just figured I had dodged a bullet and went about my business.

Fast forward to the week after we got home and visit to Dr to have fluid drained from extremely swollen knee. It was less than successful and 2 weeks later, surgery to remove fluid, scar tissue and whatever else needed to be removed.

As I was paying for the co-pay, it occurred to me than if I had the sense to go to the infirmary, I would have proof that injury happened on cruise and the insurance probably would have paid for anything my primary insurance doesn't cover.

I am certainly not blaming anyone or anything for my idiot mistake, I am only sharing so maybe someone else can avoid making it.

Happy Sails

Karen

Good advice and I hope you enjoy your next accident free cruise.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! I, too, experienced a knee injury on a ship's shore excursion. I had to go to the infirmary. Because the injury took place on a ship-sponsored tour, all of my onboard medical expenses were not charged to me. (I did have to sign a waiver.) I needed surgery upon returning home. Even with what I thought was good travel insurance, it would not pay for anything once I was home, even though the injury took place during my time of coverage.

I, too, would suggest that you try to file a claim with your travel insurance company. But, don't get your expectations raised to high.

Sorry about your fall! I hope you feel better soon.

Can you just contact the insurance company and explain what happened? They may not even need ship documentation so it doesn't hurt to find out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy Sails

Karen

First day on board HAL's 14 TA, I saw a woman take a bad fall down the stairs while wearing platiform type shoes. She seemed fine afterwards, I hope so. One day and 1/2 day later why passing Bermuda, a lady was evacuated by an emergency pilot boat, don't know if it was the same lady... felt sorry this cruise ended so early. Falls do happen.

So sorry that you had to have surgery. I was stepped on several years ago on a cruise. It was sore, bruised & a bit swollen. I chose to ignore it--heck, I'm on vacation. Six weeks later I finally got it looked at (cause I couldn't get a shoe on). I had numerous broken bones across the top of my foot & several broken toes that were now healing incorrectly. I just had surgery #12; it's a good thing you went right in. Hope you heal well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums