Oriana - Any 'secrets' to share?

babs135

We've just booked our first P&O cruise on the Oriana at the end of June. Are there any secrets to share, eg. best place for reading, watching the sea, any doors to open? You get the drift.

Thanks in advance.

We Love Oriana.

Ocean Grill is nice, well worth a visit for a meal.

The Crows nest is generally quiet and a great place to read. As is the Thakary room, but it is a bit Twee. Tiffaneys is nice as well.

The Buffet area is fairly small and does get busy at peak times. Have your buns ready !

We loved the Lords Tavern as a place for a drink before dinner. It has a real Pub atmosphere.

Andersons is nice - if you like that type of bar.

Oriana has the best Cinema of all the P&O Fleet.

I'm interested in this too as I will be on Oriana for the first time in November.

Is the Ocean grill a select restaurant?

Yes the grill is a select restaurant. On the Northern Lights cruise the Grill was used as an overflow from Tiffanys during the day which was great.

Generally speaking the Oriana is a great ship and has the fleet record for speed of 27.8 knots

So many great places on Oriana but on a fine day none better than looking over the stern from one of the higher decks. If the on board band is good then Harlequins for an after dinner nightcap is great.

We were fans of Anderson's on the times we've been on board Oriana. Especially the bit 'round the corner' - if you look at a deck plan you'll see what I mean: the entrance to Anderson's is on the port side, then if you turn half-right you'll find there's a section of it up against the starboard bulkhead. I found that an excellent spot for a quiet pre-bedtime drink - a measure of single malt, for example.

We recently did Northern Lights cruise and even though the cruise experience was fantastic thought the ship looked very tatty and tired in places and we had serious cabin problems which caused problems throughout the cruise i.e. toilet never flushed properly, black bits in tap water for the whole cruise so worried about even cleaning our teeth and never drank the water and then for the last few days of cruise water turned a mucky yellow. There was various leaks throughout the ship serious one on B deck and one in Tiffanys and by photographers gallery and know somebody who has been on since and they had cabins flooded. We will not cruise again on Oriana and think she will be very soon sold or as rumour has it sent to P&O Australia. Think P&O are struggling to sell cruises on Oriana that is why there is so many cheap cruises throughout the summer e.g £649 for 14 nts.

Edited by majortom10

We recently did Northern Lights cruise and even though the cruise experience was fantastic thought the ship looked very tatty and tired in places and we had serious cabin problems which caused problems throughout the cruise i.e. toilet never flushed properly, black bits in tap water for the whole cruise so worried about even cleaning our teeth and never drank the water and then for the last few days of cruise water turned a mucky yellow. There was various leaks throughout the ship serious one on B deck and one in Tiffanys and by photographers gallery and know somebody who has been on since and they had cabins flooded. We will not cruise again on Oriana and think she will be very soon sold or as rumour has it sent to P&O Australia. Think P&O are struggling to sell cruises on Oriana that is why there is so many cheap cruises throughout the summer e.g £649 for 14 nts.

We were on the 24 day Caribbean cruise at the end of March. We were on a suite in B deck outside our suite one day there was a flood. It smelt very funny too. Our toilet didn't flush properly either. We met a couple who were on deck 11 and their cabin was flooded, apparently there were 12 cabins flooded on our cruise. The ship was as you say tired and shabby. I'm afraid I wouldn't book a cruise on that ship again.

Just back from a cruise on the Oriana after having sailed previously on the Azura and Ventura. I thought she was a lovely ship and I especially liked the promenade deck with the steamer chairs. The Terrace pool area at the aft was my favourite for soaking up the sun.

The Crows Nest was quiet both during the day and the evening. I also liked Andersons bar, in particular the wing back chairs, although even on a sunny day, not much light seemed to penetrate.

There were problems with the plumbing. We had very hot water flushing the toilet on occasion and a burst pipe in the cabin next door resulted in a phone call from reception very early one morning asking if we would permit entry to check we had no problems. Luckily we just had a slightly damp carpet and de-humidifiers were brought in during the day to solve the problem along with complimentary slippers and a bottle of wine.

I would be quite happy to cruise on her again.

Having never sailed on Oriana but I have seen her in Southampton

You must remember that she is 19 years old...

The Lady of the seas :)

Being 19yrs old is a silly statement to make and is not an excuse for not having working sanitation and clean drinkable water in your cabin which is a basic right and necessity especially as the cruise prior had been riddled with noro virus. I am sure if you had been on the cruise with a stinking bathroom because of non flushing toilet and water you worried about cleaning your teeth because of illness throughout the whole cruise you would have been very happy and siad well she is 19yrs old I wont complain to reception- I dont think so. Oriana has become the "new" Canberra and some people will either put up with inferior product or will "stick up" for her whatever the problem.

Edited by majortom10

Yes she does have a few problems now and then. And I am sure if you are affected by them then it will be a downer on your trip. But if all goes well, as it did with us, then Oriana is a lovely ship. Getting on a bit and looking a tad 'shabby chic' in places. But I suspect that is what a lot of the P&O regulars love about her.

The promenade deck is a delight and unbelievable to think there isn't one on Britannia. Money talks I guess and it is scrapped to make way for more cabins. Andersons is a bit like 'God's Waiting Room' but is still a good place for a pre dinner cocktail.

We would definitely go back on her.

On 29th January we left on a 17 night cruise on Oriana.

The ship was very clean and in no way ''tatty''

We had a lovely outside cabin on A deck and no plumbing problems.

The food in the MDR was excellent.We didn't like the buffet so used the MDR for all lunches and dinners.

On sea days the Oriental restaurant was used as a lunch time carvery and salad bar.

If you like Italian food then try Sorrentos-well worth the £5 supplement.

In all Oriana ia a beautiful ship with fantastic aft decks.

On 29th January we left on a 17 night cruise on Oriana.

The ship was very clean and in no way ''tatty''

We had a lovely outside cabin on A deck and no plumbing problems.

The food in the MDR was excellent.We didn't like the buffet so used the MDR for all lunches and dinners.

On sea days the Oriental restaurant was used as a lunch time carvery and salad bar.

If you like Italian food then try Sorrentos-well worth the £5 supplement.

In all Oriana ia a beautiful ship with fantastic aft decks.

Although we sailed on a different date and it was our first time cruise, I must be easily pleased. We had none of the problems stated i.e. plumbing, drinking water and so on, we found the ship elegant, charming and eminently enjoyable.

There were propeller shaft problems that curtailed the cruise, but that didn't stop our fast addiction to cruising and we promptly booked another 14 nighter on the same ship.

Plumbing

Lets put the whole thing in perspective.

We have had plumbing problems on Artemis, Adonia and Arcadia they are not exclusive to the Oriana.

In fact when we were on the Adonia water poured through the ceiling in the cinema one day and another pax had a flood in their cabin, whilst we had flushing problems.

Its just part of life and so long as you are pleasant with the staff they try to resolve the problems as quickly as possible

Edited by silver surfer 2010

Plumbing

Lets put the whole thing in perspective.

We have had plumbing problems on Artemis, Adonia and Arcadia they are not exclusive to the Oriana.

In fact when we were on the Adonia water poured through the ceiling in the cinema one day and another pax had a flood in their cabin, whilst we had flushing problems.

Its just part of life and so long as you are pleasant with the staff they try to resolve the problems as quickly as possible

They didnt on Oriana in March we had black bits in our tap water, which also occasionally was always hot no cold water, and our toilet wasnt flushing properly for the whole of the cruise and P&O did nothing and never came to cabin until 3 days before we got off and only then because it suddenly turned mucky yellow/brown colour which meant we couldnt wash/shower or clean teeth.

Edited by majortom10

Andersons is a bit like 'God's Waiting Room' but is still a good place for a pre dinner cocktail.

Ha ha. I was wondering how to describe Andersons without insulting people here. Your description is exactly how I would have described it but was held back through not wishing to upset people.

Brilliant, I'm surprised you haven't had the old-timers on your back!

We had a great cruise on Oriana last September. Didn't suffer any of those problems. And I don't think they are getting rid of her. We are already booked for September 2015!

We did the northern lights cruise in march this year and had a fantastic time. We had no problems whatsoever. I think she is probably the best ship in the fleet and we are booked on her for next april to the states and caribbean

:)

Definitely feeling more positive now. Thanks for the positive vibes :D