Copenhagen - Train Question

I just started toying with the idea of staying in Copenhagen for our pre-cruise T/A next year on the CB. At the conclusion of our pre-stay, I was thinking of taking a train to Southampton via London. The thing that kinda scares me is I have no experience with train travel in Europe. I have several questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1. How long would the journey take? I'm assuming that I would have to change trains somewhere to the Euro Star to go through the chunnel.

2. Would I have to get off in London proper and then get a ground shuttle to Southampton or can I get closer to Southampton?

3. I'm a little concerned about luggage. If I do have to change trains, will the luggage be checked to it's final destination or will I have to check it again when I board the Euro Star?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

I use a site http://www.bahn.de to check on rail journies.use the English versioni from the popup at the right top, put in the date you want to travel and estimated departure it will list various options, I put in a pseudo date it gave me travel times of roughly 26hrs, with 4 changes.some its the same stn in other cities such as London you have to change stations .In Europe generally your luggage is not checked in you just take it into the carriage with you.

Edited by threetowner14
spelling

Is there some particular reason that you want to go on a train? I don't think people in the UK would choose the train to go to Denmark. Yes, you would certainly have to change trains to go under the tunnel, in fact depending on train routes from Copenhagen you might have to change trains more than once. And your luggage would not be ticketed through. It's not like an airline. Luggage is not checked in, it is entirely your own responsibilty to get it from one train to another. And then when you arrived in central London you would still need to take a train or coach to Southampton. Far quicker and simpler (and probably cheaper) to fly from Copenhagen to London Heathrow airport and take a National Express coach from there to Southampton.

Thanks all for the replies. As I stated in my post, I had no experience with train travel in Europe. I knew that flying was most likely much easier (maybe cheaper), I was just thinking of something a little different and the last time I was on a train was in 1985. I'm thinking I might look at Paris as an alternative city. DW has always wanted to take the train that goes under the English Channel.

Thanks Again.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

the easiest route is from London to Bruxelles on the eurostar.

Then from Bruxelles to Köln (Cologne) with Thalys or ICE.

From Köln you can either take a ICE train to Hamburg and then a EC or ICE from Hamburg to Copenhagen (the train boards the ferry between Germany and Denmark)

Or else from Köln you can take a night train directly to Copenhagen.

I'm thinking I might look at Paris as an alternative city.
If you pick Paris or Brussels, then your original plan makes quite a lot of sense - although there may still be a cheaper and faster option in flying directly from Paris to Southampton.

This site is indispensable for anyone researching train travel: http://www.seat61.com.