Non-USA persons "inspection" before San Diego Disembarkation?

jarand

A few days ago, the Amsterdam arrived in San Diego after a Panama Canal cruise. Some passengers disembarked here, but the majority continued on to Vancouver.

A few days before we arrived in San Diego, we were notified of a change in the disembarkation procedure. All persons who did not hold a USA passport had to be "inspected" before ANYONE would be allowed off the ship. My understanding is that the non-USA passport holders simply had to go to the dining room and produce their passports or other documentation. This took about 3 hours, which of course caused a lot of concern for people with planes or tours to catch. We never were given an explanation.

Any ideas?

A few days ago, the Amsterdam arrived in San Diego after a Panama Canal cruise. Some passengers disembarked here, but the majority continued on to Vancouver.

A few days before we arrived in San Diego, we were notified of a change in the disembarkation procedure. All persons who did not hold a USA passport had to be "inspected" before ANYONE would be allowed off the ship. My understanding is that the non-USA passport holders simply had to go to the dining room and produce their passports or other documentation. This took about 3 hours, which of course caused a lot of concern for people with planes or tours to catch. We never were given an explanation.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what the question is here?

On the 2 Panama Canal cruises we've been on, anyone holding non-US passports had to be cleared first. Before everyone else. I think that's how it always done.

On our last cruise, there were several non-US people who didn't show up in a timely manner, causing late disembarkation for some of the US people and missed flights/connections.

I just came back from a Panama cruise and I'm Canadian. It's VERY painful for us in San Diego and it can take hours. It's been this way as long as I can remember. That said, I managed to get thru pretty quick this time. If people book flights too early they only have themselves to blame. I stayed overnight in San Diego because of this issue. I'm still in the workforce so it cost me an extra vacation day. Just waiting for "someone" to post that it's probably my attitude since that seems to be the cause of all and any problems on a ship.

We have done several cruises from the US. We are from Bermuda and have UK passports. Every cruise has had all non US passport holders to go to normally the show room to be pre-cleared before disembarkation can start. Also we have to normally wait whilst the immigration officers have their breakfast.

Well as Canadian, we had to do this after our New Year's cruise on the Ryndam, a similar sized ship to the Amsterdam. We were told ahead of time that all non-US citizens would have to go to the theatre when their number was called. This started very early, by 6 AM I think. The ship was still moving and we had to ensure we had our breakfast before this procedure started. It was a "hurry up and wait" scenario instead of enjoying our last hour on board.

Our number was called before 7 and we were over half way through the numbers. We queued up in the theatre and waited our turn. I have no idea of the purpose as when we got off the ship and collected our luggage we STILL had to line up with all the US passenders to go through immigration AGAIN.

So we had to do it twice and it didn't take 3 hours. My understanding is it happens on every cruise. But I don't remember having to do it on our 2011 Volendam Alaskan cruise, but perhaps it was because that cruise ended in Canada or it was 2011 and before this procedure was put in place.

Edited by 1of4

I just came back from a Panama cruise and I'm Canadian. It's VERY painful for us in San Diego and it can take hours. It's been this way as long as I can remember. That said, I managed to get thru pretty quick this time. If people book flights too early they only have themselves to blame. I stayed overnight in San Diego because of this issue. I'm still in the workforce so it cost me an extra vacation day. Just waiting for "someone" to post that it's probably my attitude since that seems to be the cause of all and any problems on a ship.

No, it's your beautiful smiley face.....:D

Any ideas?

This is normal procedure for non-US citizens. Just think of the every 3 month crew immigration procedure. I've heard that CBP in San Diego tended towards the slow side in the past. Did the cruise call in Belize? Recently, CBP has tightened up on their policy of not allowing the accelerated clearance of passengers who have called at Caribbean ports, but Belize is a "non-cooperating" country, so they will take extra time in clearing everyone.

The ships have no control over CBP and Immigration checks. The officials direct when, where and how the inspection will be conducted and the cruise lines obey the orders they are given. Any complaints should not be directed to the ship.

I'm not really complaining, and certainly not "blaming" anyone! It's surprising to me that this is standard since we were first told we had a more traditional disembarkation, docking at 8:00 and then going off by the usual disembarkation groups (the last of which would be off by 9:30). Then a few days before San Diego, we received notice that we would dock an hour earlier, this "inspection" would take place before anyone got off, and the disembarkation groups would be an hour or more later than planned. Sounds like the Amsterdam crew didn't know it was coming (which they may not have since Panama Canal hasn't been their route for a while). Thanks for the explanation.

I'm not really complaining, and certainly not "blaming" anyone! It's surprising to me that this is standard since we were first told we had a more traditional disembarkation, docking at 8:00 and then going off by the usual disembarkation groups (the last of which would be off by 9:30). Then a few days before San Diego, we received notice that we would dock an hour earlier, this "inspection" would take place before anyone got off, and the disembarkation groups would be an hour or more later than planned. Sounds like the Amsterdam crew didn't know it was coming (which they may not have since Panama Canal hasn't been their route for a while). Thanks for the explanation.

If you think it seemed Amsterdam's crew didn't know what was coming it is entirely possible Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Patrol, notified them how, when and where the Inspection would take place. It is not rare for there to have been prior practice of doing it one way and for reasons unknown to most of us, CBP changes the plan.

If CBP changes the arrangements, the cruise line accomodates whatever (feasible) requests/instructions they issue. The cruise line does not have a 'vote'.

You never know what CBP is going to do - and they've been known to change their plans at the last minute. One cruise the ship had told us to expect a looooong, slooooow clearance procedure. This was because the ship was returning to the US after not calling at a US port for a good number of months and a decent number of the crew were new to the ship since then. The ship had been told by CBP that they were going to perform a very detailed inspection of the ship, crew, and passengers. That morning CBP decided they would wait until after the dry dock (in the Bahamas where the ship was heading after we disembarked) was completed. We breezed through CBP.

I know a number of people like to book morning flights from San Diego and FLL, where the airports are so close to the piers, but we're not willing to take that risk.

It has happened to us a few times...but not lately in FLL. We do not travel on US passports.

I have no issue with it. They way I look at it is that I am a guest in the country. Part of the deal is going through the formalities. These people are simply doing their jobs as directed.

I may not like it, but I don't like the airport security line ups either. Sometimes it works in our favour. Last time we came through London Gatwick there was a huge line at EU passports, and I think GB passports. The "other countries" line was empty.....we sailed through in five minutes flat.

Edited by iancal

Yes - US immigration is not funny all the time..... and - depending on how many "Non-US-Guests" are onboard it takes hours....

We had the procedure in San Diego - it was OK because very few foreign guests were onboard and HAL-Staff did their best to make it as comfortable as possible for us.

We had the US immigration onboard at St. Thomas last year - and that was really no fun - NCL Epic and nearly half of the guests NON-US.

They decided to have two immigration points - one for US citizens at the theatre and one for NON US citizens at the opposite end of the ship. Guests were given time slots (full hour for each deck). We came at the first minute of our slot - it looks like a Disney-queue and took more than a hour to get the passports stamped. Just 3 immigration officers (6 in total - 3 for non US and 3 for US) for nearly 4000 guests and 1500 staff (each crewmember has to "immigrate" too - it was a TA and their first entry of the season).

I have heard that it was later than noon until the last guest was ready.

But guests were allowed to leave the ship after their passport was cleared.

Wendy

It has happened to us a few times...but not lately in FLL. We do not travel on US passports.

I have no issue with it. They way I look at it is that I am a guest in the country. Part of the deal is going through the formalities. These people are simply doing their jobs as directed.

I may not like it, but I don't like the airport security line ups either. Sometimes it works in our favour. Last time we came through London Gatwick there was a huge line at EU passports, and I think GB passports. The "other countries" line was empty.....we sailed through in five minutes flat.

Good attitude.

We should all try to remember that these Inspections are being conducted to permit us to be guests in a country other than our own or for us to return safely to our homes.

The ships have no control over CBP and Immigration checks. The officials direct when, where and how the inspection will be conducted and the cruise lines obey the orders they are given. Any complaints should not be directed to the ship.

Yes, but they do have control over how people are called down. There have been a couple of cases where I have sat in the theater for around 2 hours waiting to be seen and then they did not do it in the order people came in. The last few times it seems that HAL finally "gets it". The wait is not nearly as long.

I'm always surprised when US residents know so much about how things go when it comes to non US. I'll be the first to admit I don't have a clue what the US pax do.

Yes, but they do have control over how people are called down. There have been a couple of cases where I have sat in the theater for around 2 hours waiting to be seen and then they did not do it in the order people came in. The last few times it seems that HAL finally "gets it". The wait is not nearly as long.

I'm always surprised when US residents know so much about how things go when it comes to non US. I'll be the first to admit I don't have a clue what the US pax do.

I'm not so sure the ship has any control over when or how guests are called down. Are you sure CBP does not direct how that will be done? HAL 'gets it' that Immigration can be a difficult procedure for their guests, their crew and the company. They also 'get it' that if they wish to sail into ports (be it U.S., EU, Canada or anywhere else worldwide) they do it under the direction of the local authorities.

I would like to see some evidence that HAL controls any part of the procedure in U.S. ports.

I'm not so sure the ship has any control over when or how guests are called down. Are you sure CBP does not direct how that will be done? HAL 'gets it' that Immigration can be a difficult procedure for their guests, their crew and the company. They also 'get it' that if they wish to sail into ports (be it U.S., EU, Canada or anywhere else worldwide) they do it under the direction of the local authorities.

I would like to see some evidence that HAL controls any part of the procedure in U.S. ports.

I would also like to see some evidence that it doesn't. I don't believe for one second that they tell them ok, send down deck 5. Or send send down deck 2. Since you have many friends on board maybe one of them could provide info that they have no say in it. I find it hard to believe they want to have 500 people standing in line at once.

Each time we have done a repositioning cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle, immigration for the non-USA citizens has been a mess. And we have done this cruise several times.

ALL non-USA citizens must clear immigration before anyone can get off the ship in San Diego -- HAL has nothing to with the rules there.

One time the ship wasn't cleared until 10:40. They kept calling and calling several people's names. Many people missed their flights.

Each time we have done a repositioning cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle, immigration for the non-USA citizens has been a mess. And we have done this cruise several times.

ALL non-USA citizens must clear immigration before anyone can get off the ship in San Diego -- HAL has nothing to with the rules there.

One time the ship wasn't cleared until 10:40. They kept calling and calling several people's names. Many people missed their flights.

I believe Sapper reported that people were leaving the ship in San Diego before all non US were cleared. I don't understand how that could happen. It has been a hot mess many, many times. This is why people should not book early flights. Coming into San Diego I came very close to missing a 2PM flight. Yes, 2 PM, this is not a typo. This was a few years ago.

>SNIP<

I know -- our last cruise our MDR tablemates were US citizens, and they spent one entire night telling me that what I knew was going to happen was wrong, because it had never happened to them :rolleyes:

As for HAL's involvement, I think there would be staff who would have a very good idea of the pax who either do not understand English well enough to follow directions, or who believe they are so entitled that they don't need to report.

There should be special arrangements made for the passengers who fit those categories. I get totally fed up waiting and waiting and waiting, while listening to "Would the passengers from Cabin blah blah blah please report to (wherever) to clear US Immigration". We waited two hours or so for five people to report. I think HAL has some responsibility in that. I think they could proactively deal with it in advance.

I would also like to see some evidence that it doesn't. I don't believe for one second that they tell them ok, send down deck 5. Or send send down deck 2. Since you have many friends on board maybe one of them could provide info that they have no say in it. I find it hard to believe they want to have 500 people standing in line at once.

Really? :D

Perhaps one of your friends wouldn't mind providing you information, having their name attached to it and your posting it on a public message board? Nah, probably not.