Reflection vs Equinox / Mykonos vs Venice

charlie52

Help, going crazy trying to decide between two different itineraries. What if I never get to return...

We are booked on the Refection eastern Med 8/21/15 out of Rome. We have been to Rome but none of the other ports. I have just found another eastern Med on the the Equinox that is out of Barcelona on 8/26/15 if we take it we gain Venice Nice Amalfi coast an Florence but lose Mykonos, Sicily and Naples. My brain HURTS from flip flopping back and forth...

Mykonos has always been top on my list but then so has Venice :eek:

Any advice would be sooo helpful!!!

Karen

A comparison between Mykonos and Venice is like comparing a mercedes to a toyota. I've been to both many times. Mykonos is a nice, now touristy, pretty small village that you walk through. Its charming, you can walk up to the windmills, walk along the water and shop. Venice and Florence are beautiful cities with incredible historic sites, museums where you can spend days if not weeks. Venice and Florence would be near the top of my list of 10 European cities you must visit. Mykonos would make it on to the second page as nice places to visit for no more than a day, probably above santorini. Sicily is pretty, Naples would give you a chance to visit Pompeii, but that would be down on my list of stops to visit for a day...it's an interesting stop, but for ruins, Ephesus would be far, far higher on my list.

Others of course will disagree...

Hi Karen, You might want to check the dates as I think the Equinox is visiting Venice in August 2014. I am interested in the 2015 Europe cruises as well, so that is why I picked up on it. I don't think any of the bigger ships are visiting Venice in 2015. The Constellation is the only one that I have seen that will be going there then and it is a smaller ship than the Reflection and Equinox. I would love to visit Venice and Santorini, so I have a big decision also. Good luck, I hope you have a great trip. :)

That is correct, I have been looking for Eclipse or Equinox to Venice next year And nothing doing, constellation is going there though

For what it is worth I would not miss Venice, Florence is lovely but the with Naples you get the beauty of the Almalfi and the history if you wish to visit pompei or Herculaneum

Sailing in an out of Venice is one of the most magical experiences I have ever had. We are doing the Constellation in 2015 and it does include Mykonos and Venice. Having just gotten off Solstice- I much prefer the Millennium Class ships anyway. Do Constellation roundtrip Venice. It's easier to do than Rome anyway.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Mykonos has always been top on my list but then so has Venice

No question in my mind. Venice 1000% yes and stay 2-4 days prior. Venice is fascinating but you are the mouse, Venice is the maze and anywhere you want to go in Venice is the cheese. It's not that bad but it's so much more enjoyable to explore Venice by going "thataway" at a leisurely pace instead of the mad dash of daytripping.

Santorini, specifically Oia, is a spectacular place and it too trumps Mykonos IMO.

Naples is Pompeii and Sorrento. Been. Worth the visit but I wouldn't go just because but would be pleased if they were part of the itinerary.

Santorini was the one place where I had the most sumptuous lunch with an outstanding view at a surprisingly good price while Mykonos was burnt tourist food at a high price. In Mykonos in little Venice (yes it is called that) it can get shockingly expensive. 15€ for a fruit smoothee and cappuccino and the view. It was fun listening to other people around us crying out in surprise at their bills.

Anyway...the answer is Venice. We spent 5 days there before our cruise. Never ran out if things to do and explore. Was not the $$$$$ place to eat everyone panics about. Sure if you want to sit in St. Marks square and have a cup of coffee you are asking to mortgage lunch. 4 or 5 streets away and off the tourist crawl by half a street you can get a couple of nice panini sandwiches and a couple of bottles of water for 10-14€

I would go tomorrow if I could.

Edited by TheMediaman

Venice is a better port than Mykonos in my opinion, and if you gain the Amalfi coast and Florence that is fabulous.

In my opinion the biggest loss is Sicily and Taormina.

Odds are so good you can return and pick up the rest at another time. Do not despair!

IMO, Venice is a place that you need to see at least once. Some people are just wild about it and others feel once is enough due to some many other places to visit. Mykonos is very pretty and touristy and definitely has high prices. It was a nice port, but I thoroughly enjoyed Croatia, along with Montenegro. Loved the sail in there. Santorini is gorgeous in a few places, but I've toured the entire island and it was very disappointing. Cement frames of homes that were never built and very dry areas. Seeing the Amalfi Coast and visiting Positano and Capri is not to be missed. Furthermore, I love Rome! There is so much to do and see. There you go...make your choice and let all of us know what you decide! Either way, you will have a fabulous time! Don't forget to plan some time on the beginning and/or end of your trip.

Venice - yay!

Edited by Lastdance

Venice is fascinating but you are the mouse, Venice is the maze and anywhere you want to go in Venice is the cheese.

I felt like a rat in a maze, a rat who wanted to crawl vertically to get away from the hordes. That was in late October - I can't image anything more hellish than Venice in summer! (Well, OP wanted to know.)

It all depends on your interests. I would return to Mykonos in a heartbeat, to spend more time on Delos. It's the center of the Cyclades, birthplace of Apollo, an ancient site where many cultures built temples.

That being said, I wouldn't know that Venice didn't thrill me if I'd never visited.

That is correct, I have been looking for Eclipse or Equinox to Venice next year And nothing doing, constellation is going there though

For what it is worth I would not miss Venice, Florence is lovely but the with Naples you get the beauty of the Almalfi and the history if you wish to visit pompei or Herculaneum

Well now I am really upset!!! The Equinox itinerary DOESN'T go to Venice now. I swear when I looked a few weeks ago it did...I KNOW IT DID!!!

we did the equinox barcelona one last year and doing the reflection this year Starting off at Barcelona was superb especially if you can have a day or two before the cruise Villefranche nice quaint place and easy to get to Nice by train Florence nice place some museums are worth a visit Rome we just stayed at the port and went for a walk been to Rome many times Naples stayed on ship been before but if it was my first time I would get a ferry across to Ischia what I remember Kotor was nice but nothing special although a nice sail in Dubrovnic walled city and once again nice but nothing special Venice is the highlight as the sail in and out was spectacular. Enjoyed the square and museums alleys with lots of little shops however I would say take Venice out the equation and you have a cruise which is good not brilliant thats why I am expecting the Reflection cruise to be more of a stand out with Istanbul, Mykonos, Santorini and Kusadasi the highlights. Starting in Rome well what can you say about that spectacular city.....

Does one go to Istanbul?

I occasionally suffer from wondering if I made the best choice, there are so many darn choices. The ports built up in my head often are less than expected and the ones I barely plan can often be charming.

My first visit to Venice was on the 1000 anniversary of the republic. For some reason the entire country was in St Marks square and I could barely see a thing. Weather, Sundays, strikes, almost anything can put an unexpected spin on the day. Just go and have fun and enjoy what you find.

Venice is one of my favorite places on Earth and while Mykonos is beautiful, Venice is extraordinary. I vote for Venice.

Shall we hear a triple AMEN!!! Venice is not to be missed!!! You actually need multiple days to do it justice. Mykonos is Ho Hum...Been there, done it twice.

If you leave on Equinox on Sept. 7, 2014, it leaves out of Venice and even spends an overnight there, plus you get Mykonos too. Its a 13 night Med cruise, and also gives you 2 days in Istanbul. Has a great itinerary that sounds like what you might be interested in, so check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

we gain Venice Nice Amalfi coast and Florence but lose Mykonos, Sicily and Naples

For me, the Equinox itinerary wins hands down -

Venice - is a must. Was there 4 times + Burano+Murano. Going on 55th.

Amalfi coast - Sorento, Positano, Amalfi - amazing, go to Ravelo too. Capri... Was there, didn't even bother with Naples....

Florence - breathtaking !!!

Well now I am really upset!!! The Equinox itinerary DOESN'T go to Venice now. I swear when I looked a few weeks ago it did...I KNOW IT DID!!!

As from 1st January 2015 only ships under 96.000 tons will be allowed to sail out of Venice.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/giant-cruise-ships-that-block-the-venice-views-and-threaten-foundations-are-to-be-banned-from-passing-through-citys-heart-9270109.html

I think most lines are adjusting/changing their deployments for 2015 to allow for this. I know Princess has removed all of their larger ships (only the Island Princess is scheduled), and Celebrity is probably removing all of the S-class ships.