Solarium on RCL ships - question

Just a question about the Solariums on RCL Ships. I know its Adults Only area.

is it just a simply area for adult only, like a bar? or is there more of Adult things that happen?

feedback please

No adult things going on...just a covered pool area ....also during cooler weather like Alaska sailings they have certain hours for families.

It is just a refuge for some who do not want to be bothered by children running and screaming like they do around the main pools. I will say there are times when that is why we go there - and nothing personal, but it is a welcome solitude;)

For me, it's just a different environment, as opposed to a place to escape from children. The pool area in the solarium is where I go if I want to read or embroider. I find it's rare that you end up striking up conversations with other passengers, since most people seem to go there for "alone" time.

If I want to soak up the party atmosphere, chat with people, and do some people watching, the main pool deck is the place to be. On any given day I may do a bit of both.

I've never seen them stage events in the Solarium the way they do on the main pool deck.

Solarium is a very nice quiet adults only pool area. Some of the chairs and loungers have more padding than the regular pool loungers.

There is a small bar, but waiter service is available so you don't have to get up to go for a drink - waiters roam the area. It is very relaxing.

On the Oasis/Allure there is a restaurant enclosed inside the solarium (have seen children in there, but not many). The breakfast and lunch is more of a "healthy alternative" choice restaurant (no charge). On an evening it changes to a for-a-fee restaurant.

What do you mean with "no children"? If I go there to read with my 2 teenage girls (who will also be reading) will they be considered to be child and ask to leave? They are 13 and 16 yo....

What do you mean with "no children"? If I go there to read with my 2 teenage girls (who will also be reading) will they be considered to be child and ask to leave? They are 13 and 16 yo....

Minimum age in the solarium is 16 years old. It is usually enforced.

I doubt it. But at the same time, it is indeed an "adult" only pool area. While your girls will be reading and very well behaved, they also may prefer the main pool(s) as opposed to sitting around with strictly adults.

Yes, I've seen it twice on two different ships. There is a sign at the doors to the Solarium stating children under 16 not allowed. One lady had a mega tantrum but finally left. Then she tried to come back a few hours later with the kids and got sent away again.

Age restrictions are not put in place just to provide a more quiet type of atmosphere. Seating in the solarium can be very hard to come by. The age limit does help to provide more chairs for adults. I understand that may not seem right to you and that you would like to have your quiet, well behaved, 13 yr old with you in there but it is limited to 16 and older.

The only time I have seen children allowed in the Solarium is to get something to eat at the cafe, or on one occasion on a winter cruise on a Vision class ship, they allowed children in for a couple of hours as the weather was so bad. The timing of that was strictly enforced.

Your 13 year old child will not be allowed to join you there as it is adults only. There are plenty of other places where the family can be together though.

Just a question about the Solariums on RCL Ships. I know its Adults Only area.

is it just a simply area for adult only, like a bar? or is there more of Adult things that happen?

feedback please

There's no sort of "adult" activity in that sense - or if there is, I've missed it! :D

Personally, I have never seen it enforced. Two different scenarios I've witnessed myself: 1. Two pre-teen girls laying on loungers next to each other having a "kick fight", were not asked to leave. 2. A teen girl reading quietly on a lounger beside her mother/grandmother. She was not asked to leave either.

IMHO, I think it's just another case of RCI not being consistent with their rules/suggestions (much like the suggested attire in the dining room that is not generally enforced..but that's a WHOLE different thread....lol!)

Personally, I have never seen it enforced. Two different scenarios I've witnessed myself: 1. Two pre-teen girls laying on loungers next to each other having a "kick fight", were not asked to leave. 2. A teen girl reading quietly on a lounger beside her mother/grandmother. She was not asked to leave either.

IMHO, I think it's just another case of RCI not being consistent with their rules/suggestions (much like the suggested attire in the dining room that is not generally enforced..but that's a WHOLE different thread....lol!)

With the addition of Park Cafe to the Solarium of many ships, it's now common (and allowed) for children to be sitting in the Solarium and eating. On Enchantment, the only time I saw the age limit enforced was when children got into the hot tub or pool.

There are many lovely places on every ship to quietly read on deck other than the solarium. I'm sure you will be able to find somewhere for the three of you to read and relax.

Radiance class ships currently have the only Solariums with retractable roofs. On other classes the Solariums are only partially covered. RCI's website will tell you it's an adults only area; maybe. If the weather is bad, everyone may sit in the solarium. If there is food in the Solarium children may use the tables. Except for Oasis class, children will be walking through the area all day.

If you actually see a sign that says adults only, it's RARE. I have only seen children asked to leave the pool and the hot tubs, but rarely the Solarium. Until last year all the Solariums had signs stating the pools are for 16 and older. They have begun replacing these signs and have eliminated the 16 year old requirement.

The Solarium is a great place, despite a few glitches.

Radiance class ships currently have the only Solariums with retractable roofs. On other classes the Solariums are only partially covered. RCI's website will tell you it's an adults only area; maybe. If the weather is bad, everyone may sit in the solarium. If there is food in the Solarium children may use the tables. Except for Oasis class, children will be walking through the area all day.

If you actually see a sign that says adults only, it's RARE. I have only seen children asked to leave the pool and the hot tubs, but rarely the Solarium. Until last year all the Solariums had signs stating the pools are for 16 and older. They have begun replacing these signs and have eliminated the 16 year old requirement.

The Solarium is a great place, despite a few glitches.

I thought the Vision class ships had retractable roofs also.

Totally forgot, it's been so long since I've been on Vision class. You are absolutely correct!

Have sailed many times on Radiance and Vision class and have never seen the roof retracted...but many times I wish they had as it can be very humid feeling on occasion...who actually makes this decision ?

totally covered on some, partially on others

Is the Solarium layout on the Voyager and Freedom classes considered partially-covered? It seems pretty wide open to me. Oasis class is partially-covered (and too hot!)

Have sailed many times on Radiance and Vision class and have never seen the roof retracted...but many times I wish they had as it can be very humid feeling on occasion...who actually makes this decision ?

I think Oasis and Allure are the worst for being humid in the solarium. At least on the Radiance class ships it is air conditioned in there. With the structure on the Oasis ships air conditioning is not possible and the partial covering seems to decrease air circulation and just traps the heat and humidity.