LIVE from Regal's Inaugaral Cruise

Av8tor

Hopefully there will be a "mutiny" on the Regal Princess about those extra fees so it's not expanded to other ships. ;)

The last time I sailed on RCCL they had a room service delivery charge however that was only for deliveries made in the middle the night which to me is understandable. Obviously they're trying to make Alfredo's like Vines were they require purchasing a drink to get food.

Hopefully these are "experiments" on the Regal and that they will fail miserably. To add a wonderful complementary dining venue like Alfredo's and then to charge for it because it's popular is wrong to me. :mad:

I'm all for a mutiny! If they get away with charging for Alfredo's will they then start charging for the IC?:(

The only way to get an official response from Princess to determine if the there has been an official policy change on Alfredo's cover charge and room service charges is by email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com (or by snail mail to the same address at Princess HQ)

The telephone call center personnel are not in the appropriate level to respond officially.

I'm all for a mutiny! If they get away with charging for Alfredo's will they then start charging for the IC?:(

The only way to get an official response from Princess to determine if the there has been an official policy change on Alfredo's cover charge and room service charges is by email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com (or by snail mail to the same address at Princess HQ)

The telephone call center personnel are not in the appropriate level to respond officially.

Works for me!! I think the email or formal letter is the better way to go and you will automatically have a record of your transaction. I was planning to eat at Alfredo's a LOT during my b2b in November, but now I'll have to think that over again!! Sounds like "bait and switch" to me!!:mad:

I am curious to hear about these extra charges and would be disappointed if they are true and going fleet wide. I don't want it on any ship.

I like the idea of an email msg to state your concerns about these extra fees. Really changing for mix with my drink!

Room service fee!

I don't want to be nickled and dimed on board... raise the cost of the cruise if you have to but don't do this.

Thanks for posting the live thread and let us know what else is different.

Vickie

Day 3 - Corfu

Just explored Corfu town and the old fort and found a nice small restaurant for lunch. Dining room wait staff getting better and more comfortable working together as a team.

Day 4 - At Sea

Slept in late today to catch up on lost sleep and prepare for the many busy port days coming up. Listened to one of the Carnival Corp’s ship design and construction gurus talk about those processes and what can go wrong. Then joined in the special “Super Tuscan” special wine tasting and hit the last half of afternoon trivia. Captain’s Circle club reception is in an hour, then dinner, so the following observations might be short and abrupt, sorry:

First off, I need to make a correction; the $3 delivery charge for room service is noted in small print at the bottom of the fruit order card and it is also noted in small print on the room service breakfast order form and it is also noted in the Regal Princess Directory book in each cabin,. But the web site does still list room service as “complimentary.”

I miss the fitness center being up front. Not that the new position in the stern is bad, just that I liked it towards the bow for a better view while working out.

Self-service laundry rooms (at least the one I stuck my head in on Dolphin deck) had four sets of token operated washers and dryers plus three ironing boards and irons. There’s also a token dispenser and soap vender. Wash and dry cost $2 each and the soap is $1.25. I THINK you can use you cruise card to get the tokens but I didn’t look that closely.

The Carnival Corp ship construction guru wouldn’t say that the aft balcony soot problem had been solved, but he did knock on wood when he said he hoped the changes they made would do the trick. BTW, those changes included exhaust stack extensions, new fuel pumps and injector changes. I talked to a cabin steward working the aft cabins and he said he hasn’t noticed the problem like it was on Royal. He was happy to show that the carpets were clean back there with no sooty shoe prints or tracks. I guess only time will tell if it’s really been fixed. We didn’t book an aft balcony do that potential problem so hopefully someone who actually has had one of those cabins will report back.

In our deluxe balcony cabin, there are two US standard electrical outlets at the desk along with a European twin pin 220/240V outlet. There’s one combo 120/230V oulett in the bathroom with a razor symbol, but I’d imagine it could also be used for low draw items like phone & camera chargers. There are also two 220V outlets on the wall at the head of the bed(s) down low close to the floor. A bed lamp is plugged into one and the other is “available,” however, when I tried to plug something into mine, I got no power. Not sure about other cabins. The other bed lamp must be powered from a box or outlet behind the non-movable nightstand next to the loveseat.

You do have to put your cruise card into a slot by the cabin door to keep the lights on in your cabin. I brought an old hotel key-card from a previous trip and use that instead of my cruise card. I taped the substitute card to the wall near the slot so it’s always available to insert as soon as we walk through the door. That way, I’ll never (hopefully) walk out of the cabin without the cruise card in my pocket…

The shower gel and shampoo/conditioner are in dispenser bottles mounted to the shower wall. I think I like that better than the small bars of soap and fiberboard eucalyptus containers I remember from previous cruises. I didn’t care for the eucalyptus scent and this method frees up the recessed cubby on the front shower wall for other storage uses such as my DW’s own shampoo & conditioner. There is a small problem of the dispenser nozzles being a bit to short to easily pump the product out into your hand. The round bars of soap are still provided for the sink area as is a soap dish..

So far, we’ve seen three shows and a comedian/ventriloquist. 1st night was the Unexpected Boys, a group of four guys performing a Four Seasons tribute. 2nd night was a soprano soloist (I passed on her). Tonight was “Divas 3,” a tribute to, yup, you guessed it, top female singers. Tomorrow night they’re presenting local Turkish performers, but we’ll be missing that one. I was indifferent to the three shows so far and my DW thought they were all OK, but nothing really noteworthy. We both really enjoyed the comedian/ventriloquist. I’m wondering when and if we’ll get to see a full production show…

I will continue after our 30 hours in Istanbul… Iyi aksamlar

You're right, of course, so I called, I wrote, I put it on Princess' facebook page, I posted it on our roll call here on CC, I encouraged everyone else to do the same. I think this is the wrong direction for Princess to head, but I think the lack of communication about it (if it is true) is really bad form, for those on board, for those booked, and for those considering the true cost of a cruise in the future, when the website and all documents on my booked cruise information still says 'complementary' for both. It may seem like a small thing but it will make me rethink Princess as my cruise line of choice.

We usually tip for room service, so the 3.00 charge will be the tip.

If the 10.00 surcharge in Alfredos comes with a glass of wine, it won't bother me too much. If it is charged without wine, then that is problematic. Will they start charging for pizza on Lido?

If the soot problem is corrected on Regal, then they can do it on Royal. Hopefully what they did will work.:)

We usually tip for room service, so the 3.00 charge will be the tip.

If the 10.00 surcharge in Alfredos comes with a glass of wine, it won't bother me too much. If it is charged without wine, then that is problematic. Will they start charging for pizza on Lido?

If the soot problem is corrected on Regal, then they can do it on Royal. Hopefully what they did will work.:)

On that's nice, punish the staff :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the comments that the $10 Alfredo charge is included in the drink package, can I assume the drink package is available on the Regal? The web site still says the drink package is not available on the Regal.

If the $3 charge for room service goes to the staff as a tip I have no issue with it. If the $3 goes to corp and we are still expected to tip, I probably won't order much room service.

I understand that a corporation's goal is to make money but I am disappointed that Princess is going to a next level with charges. I really like Alfredo's and room service so this new set of charges puts a negative light on Princess.

Based on the comments that the $10 Alfredo charge is included in the drink package, can I assume the drink package is available on the Regal? The web site still says the drink package is not available on the Regal.

If the $3 charge for room service goes to the staff as a tip I have no issue with it. If the $3 goes to corp and we are still expected to tip, I probably won't order much room service.

This is from my page on Princess so presume package available on Regal.

All Inclusive Beverage Package†

You can now relax and enjoy the convenience of an all inclusive beverage package featuring any drink up to $10 including cocktails, wine, beer, sodas, lattes, cappuccinos, bottled water & more. All for just $49 per person per day!

†15% gratuity will be included in addition to the price. Not available on Golden, Sun, Dawn, Sea or Ocean Princess.

Not happy to pay $10 cover charge for Pizzas when our 15 year olds who will have already paid for a soda package.

On that's nice, punish the staff :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How am I punishing the staff? The 3.00 charge insures a tip for the delivery of room service.It all goes to the pool just like the charges per day for tips.

I'll wager that a lot of people don't tip the room service delivery personnel at all. We do.

OP. Thank you for your thread and all the information you are posting. I'm looking forward to reading about your time in Istanbul.

I sure hope Princess never charges for the IC.:D:D Bad enough if they are charging for Alfredo's.:eek:

This is from my page on Princess so presume package available on Regal.

All Inclusive Beverage Package†

You can now relax and enjoy the convenience of an all inclusive beverage package featuring any drink up to $10 including cocktails, wine, beer, sodas, lattes, cappuccinos, bottled water & more. All for just $49 per person per day!

†15% gratuity will be included in addition to the price. Not available on Golden, Sun, Dawn, Sea or Ocean Princess.

Not happy to pay $10 cover charge for Pizzas when our 15 year olds who will have already paid for a soda package.

Thanks, the order info I found still lists Not available on Regal. I hoping to buy the package when on the Regal in October 2015.:)

You know what "assume" means! I would not assume ANYTHING with Princess' pricing policies at this time. They seem as stable as .... well, let's not go there!

I agree with your assessment/evaluation of the room service charge. If it goes to the room service STAFF, OK with me!

Let's keep up the good fight!

I understand that a corporation's goal is to make money but I am disappointed that Princess is going to a next level with charges. I really like Alfredo's and room service so this new set of charges puts a negative light on Princess.

If this is a goal for Princess to make money, it may backfire on them..... for us, we can easily cruise with no longer ordering room service or going to Alfredo's;)

These "changes" are really cheap and nickel/dime. I like the pool pizza better anyway, but really $3 to get a complimentary room service coffee in the AM?

I love Princess and will let customer service service know how I feel.

I have never experienced these changes, but I'll be on the Regal in October, so I shall see for myself.

If Alfredo's gave

me a glass of vino for the $10, no problem. What if you don't drink? Still like the pizza upstairs with pepperoni better.

Keep us posted. Alice