Rumor Alert : Oceania Newbuild Order Coming Soon ?

Andy

Hi Everyone,

According to Cruise Industry news, rumors are around, that Oceania *may* soon be ordering 2 Newbuilds, as Sister ships to Marina & Riviera.

Please keep in mind, this is unconfirmed, but I thought this would be of interest to Oceania fans. Here's a link to the brief story : http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11121-oceania-newbuild-rumors-gain-momentum.html

Where we had dinner with the GM, Dominique Nicolle...THE most personable man EVER!

He DID say O would build one more O class ship, and that they would BUY an R class ship if one came on the market,but would not have one built.

Will be interesting to learn which way they are going....

He also said that O would never go bigger than O class....they know their market very well!

Well, if the information garnered in Post 2 from tropicalkerry2002 is accurate, it looks like the R ships are safe, with the possibility of expanding if another should come available.

Edited by TKS

Does anyone think that adding two "O" class ships in 4 years means that "O" might retire/sell their "R" class ships.

I don't think that they would have done a $50 million refurb if they were thinking of selling them.

I guess they think in a few years they will be able to fill the ships

So many new ships out there hope there are people to afford the cruises ;)

Maybe it will be bigger discounts for O passengers :D

I don't think that they would have done a $50 million refurb if they were thinking of selling them.

I agree Mike.

I agree Mike.

This is one area where conventional wisdom will lead you astray guys, I can send you links to literally dozens of ships which were renovated directly before a sale -or worse- a trip to the scrap yard :eek:

I'm not saying that anything like that is going to happen to Oceania's R ships, but I do worry about O taking on one of their less lucky sisters which have not necessarily been kept up with the same due diligence as "our lucky three".

Oceana-Cruises-PC03.jpg

As with the Ladies, maintenance is everything in cruise ships, once you reach that certain age...

This is one area where conventional wisdom will lead you astray guys, I can send you links to literally dozens of ships which were renovated directly before a sale -or worse- a trip to the scrap yard :eek:

I'm not saying that anything like that is going to happen to Oceania's R ships, but I do worry about O taking on one of their less lucky sisters which have not necessarily been kept up with the same due diligence as "our lucky three".

As with the Ladies, maintenance is everything in cruise ships, once you reach that certain age...

I think a lot would depend on how many years till the delivery of the two new O's. If we are looking at 3-4 years, then they could certainly put an R out to pasture at that time.

I suggest Oceania Oceania, with the ship name Oceania pronounced differently from the cruise line, Oceania, similar to tomato-tomahto. ;) :) :D

I believe that that ship has (literally) sailed....

Oceana_cruise_ship_photos.jpg

In order to avoid potential conflicts with this circa 2002 P&O cruise ship, OCEANIA added the "I" to their moniker, I can't see them skirting so closely again.

I guess you didn't get the joke? :rolleyes:

Maybe I needed to add one more smiley? Three wasn't enough?

I spelled the line and the ship the same, i.e. Oceania Oceania (both with "I"s) ...since there has been quite a lot of discussion about how to correctly pronounce "Oceania" and so many still have differing opinions about it, as evidenced in some threads in this forum.

As background, here's one thread on the subject: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1493257

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

Not ending in an "A" but how about

Admiral

Commodore

Ensign

Wave

What other Nautical names can we think of :)

Plus all the current ships have 7 letters. If you look up 7 letter words ending in "a", there aren't many good ones. I like "Impressa" and "Regalia" (to close to "Regatta". But "Lasagna" and "Barista" would be more appropriate. :D