Suite Questions

EvelynAlexa

I am an avid Celebrity cruiser but this is my first time in a Suite. we have booked the Royal Suite on the Summit and I Have been reading many posts about cocktail parties (with sandwiches/canapes), snacks, shrimp cocktail, etc. in the cabin. Are these FREE items or is there a charge? Also, is the hot tub a real hot tub or just a glorified bathtub with jets? In other words, does it have to be filled every time you want to use it or does the water stay hot? Thanks.

You do have to fill the "hot tub" every time you use it. We enjoyed it just the same. :)

I am an avid Celebrity cruiser but this is my first time in a Suite. we have booked the Royal Suite on the Summit and I Have been reading many posts about cocktail parties (with sandwiches/canapés), snacks, shrimp cocktail, etc. in the cabin. Are these FREE items or is there a charge? Also, is the hot tub a real hot tub or just a glorified bathtub with jets? In other words, does it have to be filled every time you want to use it or does the water stay hot? Thanks.

We've had a number of parties in our suites, some just inviting friends we met onboard, others for cabin crawls, and some just for us :D We've arranged everything from cookies, to shrimp cocktail.

The most elaborate was asking our butler for shrimp cocktail and cheese and crackers, and some Pellegrino but getting SOOO much more. He brought sushi, wine (no charge, he just thought we could use more), amazing dips and so much else I can barely remember. He brought in non alcoholic beverages at no charge too. We had no idea if we would see a bill or not, and were happy to pay for the beverages, but never got one. We had more than 20 people for the last party on Connie in a CS.

14407814753_67c73a3113_o.jpg

I think it would depend on a number of factors, such as the level of suite, the butler and how long you're on board. They really try and accommodate.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Are you sure about your statement? I know it is open all day, but does it always include free cocktails for High End Suites and Zenith? I thought I read that the free cocktails were only during a 2/3 hour period.

I've gotten alcoholic drinks from the Michael's Lounge as late as 11:30pm. Once on the Equinox during the TA in April this year. Then once again on the Summit last month. I usually don't patronize the Michael's Lounge past 10pm, though. Drinks, chocoholic or otherwise, are always complimentary there, doesn't matter if it's 8am in the morning or midnight.

Also, is the hot tub a real hot tub or just a glorified bathtub with jets? In other words, does it have to be filled every time you want to use it or does the water stay hot? Thanks.

The "hot tub" really isn't all that large - a little tight for 2 people. But 2 weeks ago, I used it every night for a week, and it was as fun as it was comfortable.

14201798047_0773cb6e59_b.jpg

Edited by Kinofdc

I am an avid Celebrity cruiser but this is my first time in a Suite. we have booked the Royal Suite on the Summit and I Have been reading many posts about cocktail parties (with sandwiches/canapes), snacks, shrimp cocktail, etc. in the cabin. Are these FREE items or is there a charge? Also, is the hot tub a real hot tub or just a glorified bathtub with jets? In other words, does it have to be filled every time you want to use it or does the water stay hot? Thanks.

As far as holding parties in your suite the "rules" [as explained by the events office on Infinity and confirmed since by various butlers] are that cold snacks/canapies/etc are free but hot/warm items should be paid for. Drinks such as fruit juice are free but alcohol/soda/etc should be paid for. This is what has always been the case for us but others have reported having to pay for the items that should be paid for. As far as can see, most of these reports of receiving the paid for items free have been more rather than less recently. If you do not wish to pay for items, only order those that are free.

Edited by Project_gal

We were on the Solstice last week to Alaska in a Royal suite. ... Edited to add: Beverages are available at other times of the day as well, not only when food is being served. There is no additional charge for any beverages, alcoholic or otherwise, nor is there any additional charge for any food consumed.

Many thanks for the detailed description.

We are in a CS on Infinity in July and I will definitely report back. Apart from breakfast I am interested on whether it is worth having a drinks package given the range of complimentary drinks in Michaels.

I am in the same boat as you on that matter. Usually, I obtain a drinks package for myself in the past, but I cannot always book a suite... and the cost upgrade to book a RS would be prohibitively expensive to justify getting the included drinks package. I am in a CS in 2016 for my New Zealand/Australia cruise. Between Michael's Club and lots of OBC$$$, I most likely won't get a package. I am looking forward to hearing your (and others) cruise experiences when using the suite amenities and services provided in Michael's Club.

I am in the same boat as you on that matter. Usually, I obtain a drinks package for myself in the past, but I cannot always book a suite... and the cost upgrade to book a RS would be prohibitively expensive to justify getting the included drinks package. I am in a CS in 2016 for my New Zealand/Australia cruise. Between Michael's Club and lots of OBC$$$, I most likely won't get a package. I am looking forward to hearing your (and others) cruise experiences when using the suite amenities and services provided in Michael's Club.

Looks like we might be with you. Have started a roll call but so far no interest.

We were on the Solstice last week to Alaska in a Royal suite. A continental breakfast was offered in the mornings (hours fluctuated somewhat depending on port arrival and departure schedules, but breakfast was available for several hours each morning.) There was an assortment of breads and pastries, fresh fruit, meats, and cheeses. Choice of beverages included fresh juices, coffee, fancy coffee beverages such as lattes, teas, alcoholic drinks such as mimosas and Bloody Mary's, etc etc.

In the late afternoon/evening hors d'oeuvres were offered from roughly 5-8pm, again dependent on that particular day's schedule, as well as cocktails, wine, beer and so forth. They did try to offer a variety of different food selections each day.

One afternoon there was a fancy tea service complete with small, elegant sandwiches and scones.

On three separate occasions there was live music offered in the lounge. One evening also we had the opportunity to meet the Captain and some of the navigational officers.

I have read frequently that people pass by Michael's Lounge and say they find it deserted. On the Solstice at least, the lounge forms a kind of backwards "L" shape, with the bar and food area not viewable from the front doors. The bar/food section is where most of the action was taking place.:)

There is also a dedicated suite excursion concierge to offer a variety of unique and private excursions, not necessarily expensive, but reasonably priced for cruise ship shore excursions.

The dedicated Michael's Lounge concierge had official office hours listed both in the morning, and the late afternoon/evening, but she was there frequently at other times as well. The concept of Michael's Club lounge is a work in progress, but it is a delightful amenity to offer suite and Zenith guests, and we enjoyed it immensely.

Edited to add: Beverages are available at other times of the day as well, not only when food is being served. There is no additional charge for any beverages, alcoholic or otherwise, nor is there any additional charge for any food consumed.

Many thanks for the detailed description.

You're welcome, Project Gal; however I do want to clarify that I was reporting exclusively about Michael's Club lounge and our experience there. In re-reading my post I feel that I wasn't specific enough on that point.

You're welcome, Project Gal; however I do want to clarify that I was reporting exclusively about Michael's Club lounge and our experience there. In re-reading my post I feel that I wasn't specific enough on that point.

I am sure that we all understood the purpose of your post - at least I did! My thanks stands!!!

We're making that correction now. Thank you!

As of today (6/14/14), this flyer:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Lists effective date for Summit Suite Class Effective date as 4/4/14. We will be in a RS on 10/5/14 cruise. Are you saying this is *still* a typo, or are you doing an early roll-out on Summit? If it's a typo, it should be quickly corrected.

I'd love to see a flyer specifying exactly what we should expect in RS on Summit this October.

Not trying to be a pain, but we actually had to produce our "suite enhancements" email to prove to the butler that RS on Silhouette in 2012 was supposed to include 2 bottles. He grudgingly ended up bringing them after a couple of days, with 3 cans of soda.

Thanks for your help!

As of today (6/14/14), this flyer:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Lists effective date for Summit Suite Class Effective date as 4/4/14. We will be in a RS on 10/5/14 cruise. Are you saying this is *still* a typo, or are you doing an early roll-out on Summit? If it's a typo, it should be quickly corrected.

I'd love to see a flyer specifying exactly what we should expect in RS on Summit this October.

Not trying to be a pain, but we actually had to produce our "suite enhancements" email to prove to the butler that RS on Silhouette in 2012 was supposed to include 2 bottles. He grudgingly ended up bringing them after a couple of days, with 3 cans of soda.

Thanks for your help!

To ensure you are not misled, and arrive to not to be dissappointed, YES that is s typographical error, at one point they had corrected it, but it's gone back again it seems as they changed/added language to the document. Odd, as I downloaded the PDF just a week ago, and the download I have still says 4-15 for Summit (I just reopened my download to be sure). Typo's happen... and seem to re-happen LOL.

I sailed on Summit end of May and can confirm, they HAVE NOT rolled to the suite dining room or any other suite perks, just the Private Michael's lounge.

For suite benefits that apply to your sailing in a Royal Suite, you should refer here ONLY, as the flyer stipulating exactly what you will get in your Royal Suite.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships/celebrity-summit#Staterooms/ships/celebrity-summit/staterooms/stateroom-subtype-sm-rs

To ensure you are not misled, and arrive to not to be dissappointed, YES that is s typographical error, at one point they had corrected it, but it's gone back again it seems as they changed/added language to the document. Odd, as I downloaded the PDF just a week ago, and the download I have still says 4-15 for Summit (I just reopened my download to be sure). Typo's happen... and seem to re-happen LOL.

I sailed on Summit end of May and can confirm, they HAVE NOT rolled to the suite dining room or any other suite perks, just the Private Michael's lounge.

For suite benefits that apply to your sailing in a Royal Suite, you should refer here ONLY, as the flyer stipulating exactly what you will get in your Royal Suite.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships/celebrity-summit#Staterooms/ships/celebrity-summit/staterooms/stateroom-subtype-sm-rs

Thanks for taking the time to inform me, Curt!

I'm VERY overwhelmed with happy life events right now, but a suite finally opened up for our sailing yesterday morning. Had no choice but to research now.

[We have a daughter getting married in 7 days and another expecting our first grandchild 3 days latter.]

Got all excited about the Perks with (expensive) upgrade from AQ to RS, but now I'm a bit disappointed. The NE/Canada sailings are typically very expensive (due to supply/demand), so the added perks would've softened the blow. I still have about a month before final payment to possibly downgrade to smaller suite, if one becomes available.

Just hoping we have a helpful butler, like Peter from when we were in an aft SS on the Equinox's 2009 maiden transatlantic crossing, rather than our RS Silhouette butler from 6/12/12.

Our Silhouette butler must've just been having a very bad cruise, because we really only asked for what was supposed to come with the suite (2 bottles w/ mixers, morning cappuccino), one pre-arranged evening of in-suite dining for 4 people plus a sail-away gathering (pre-arranged for a non-busy, mid-cruise day).

Got the cappuccinos, had help with sail-away "party" from exceptionally nice ship's concierge,, Jon (sp?), but anything else was a problem.

In-suite dining was with my cruise agent/friend, and she was mortified when all the covered courses were just dumped on the table/sideboard at once -- including ice cream. We were really shocked at the time, and didn't speak up. But she did report it later. (We had even specifically asked, early in the cruise, which of several evenings would be easiest for him to serve dinner, and were told it wasn't a problem. Told him that morning the approx time the 4 of us wanted to eat; he said to just call then.)

Oh, I did ask for one other thing when we first met: a hair appt for 1st formal night. Right before our late seating that night, he asked if I wanted to call and make the "massage" appointment myself. Very odd! Of course the hair people were all booked up by then. No big deal; I skpped splurging on hair. it's just annoying because I would've easily booked it myself upon arrival, if the service had not been offered.

They shouldn't advertise butler's help for anything that they can't or won't consistently provide.

We had a GREAT cruise with friends, so this certainly didn't "ruin" our trip.

It just makes me reconsider including "value" of butler in the cost of suite.

Jane

Got all excited about the Perks with (expensive) upgrade from AQ to RS, but now I'm a bit disappointed. The NE/Canada sailings are typically very expensive (due to supply/demand), so the added perks would've softened the blow. I still have about a month before final payment to possibly downgrade to smaller suite, if one becomes available.

For the money, I'd pick a Celebrity suite over a royal on the Summit. Basically same cabin, just without the separate shower in bathroom, and no whirlpool on deck, and all the other perks apply, except the 2 bottles of booze.

On S class, take the royal, but since they added verandas to M class, the cabins are quite similar, in fact I feel the Celebrity suite feels more open in the living area, and I like the pitch black bedroom for sleeping, and think the closet is more easily used.

Once suite perks kick in, many are reporting a 30% increase in the fares of RS versus the celebrity suites, so the perks do come at a cost!

Who was the butter on your 2012 sailing?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That would be my question too.

Thanks for taking the time to inform me, Curt!

I'm VERY overwhelmed with happy life events right now, but a suite finally opened up for our sailing yesterday morning. Had no choice but to research now.

[We have a daughter getting married in 7 days and another expecting our first grandchild 3 days latter.]

Just hoping we have a helpful butler, like Peter from when we were in an aft SS on the Equinox's 2009 maiden transatlantic crossing, rather than our RS Silhouette butler from 6/12/12.

Our Silhouette butler must've just been having a very bad cruise, because we really only asked for what was supposed to come with the suite (2 bottles w/ mixers, morning cappuccino), one pre-arranged evening of in-suite dining for 4 people plus a sail-away gathering (pre-arranged for a non-busy, mid-cruise day).

Got the cappuccinos, had help with sail-away "party" from exceptionally nice ship's concierge,, Jon (sp?), but anything else was a problem.

In-suite dining was with my cruise agent/friend, and she was mortified when all the covered courses were just dumped on the table/sideboard at once -- including ice cream. We were really shocked at the time, and didn't speak up. But she did report it later. (We had even specifically asked, early in the cruise, which of several evenings would be easiest for him to serve dinner, and were told it wasn't a problem. Told him that morning the approx time the 4 of us wanted to eat; he said to just call then.)

Oh, I did ask for one other thing when we first met: a hair appt for 1st formal night. Right before our late seating that night, he asked if I wanted to call and make the "massage" appointment myself. Very odd! Of course the hair people were all booked up by then. No big deal; I skpped splurging on hair. it's just annoying because I would've easily booked it myself upon arrival, if the service had not been offered.

They shouldn't advertise butler's help for anything that they can't or won't consistently provide.

We had a GREAT cruise with friends, so this certainly didn't "ruin" our trip.

Jane

I remember that cruise on Equinox, it was fantastic! Sorry to hear you had so many problems with your Butler, Jane. We were in a RS in December, 2012 and our Butler, though not the best we ever had, was very good. We had dinner in the suite one evening with friends and the meal was served course by course. It's very disappointing when one has expectations of a certain level of service, and they just don't deliver. And now with prices of the higher suites rising along with the new perks, one would hope that ALL Butlers will provide the ultimate in service to their guests.

For the money, I'd pick a Celebrity suite over a royal on the Summit. Basically same cabin, just without the separate shower in bathroom, and no whirlpool on deck, and all the other perks apply, except the 2 bottles of booze.

On S class, take the royal, but since they added verandas to M class, the cabins are quite similar, in fact I feel the Celebrity suite feels more open in the living area, and I like the pitch black bedroom for sleeping, and think the closet is more easily used.

Once suite perks kick in, many are reporting a 30% increase in the fares of RS versus the celebrity suites, so the perks do come at a cost!

Agree with your analysis, but there have been no suites available (except for one RS) on this sailing for a long time.

That would be my question too.

I remember that cruise on Equinox, it was fantastic! Sorry to hear you had so many problems with your Butler, Jane. We were in a RS in December, 2012 and our Butler, though not the best we ever had, was very good. We had dinner in the suite one evening with friends and the meal was served course by course. It's very disappointing when one has expectations of a certain level of service, and they just don't deliver. And now with prices of the higher suites rising along with the new perks, one would hope that ALL Butlers will provide the ultimate in service to their guests.

Hi, Sherry!

We really did have an awesome time on that Equinox crossing! Maybe it set my expectations higher than Celebrity can consistently deliver...

I hesitate to mention the Silhouette butler's name, because we did deal with the issues privately after our cruise.

Since you know me and know that we were not 'high maintenance'/entitled guests, I will share that the butler's first name was Paulo (Paul).

I know that others have mentioned him in a favorable light, so maybe there was just something seriously wrong during that cruise. I believe he's even a Head Butler (whatever they call the position) who is brought aboard newly launched ships.

I know it wasn't us having unreasonable expectations, because my cruise agent/friend was particularly disappointed by the service we received. We were really just traveling as friends with our husbands and some other "friend"couples, so I wouldn't let her waste too much energy during our vacations. She had other, actual clients, onboard who needed her help with issues (like airline lost luggage for one who flew in "day of" and scheduled a ridiculously tight connection).

Sad thing is that I planned to encourage her other clients to book suites by highlighting the butler service. That's why I offered to co-host a sail-away party in our RS. (She's a VERY good friend!)

It was actually the ship's concierge, Jon Pilling, who insisted on arranging the sail-away cocktail party in our Suite. He sent up wine, champagne and the food that our butler said we couldn't get w/o billing us. Jon even put in an appearance and brought the an officer with him. He insisted we invite all 20 of friend's clients.

Back to wedding planning now...younger DD getting married in VT in exactly 1 week -- destination wedding weekend! Oldest DD is in NJ, so won't be able to be at wedding with our 1st grandchild due 6/24.

Hope we all get to cruise together again someday soon!

It was actually the ship's concierge, Jon Pilling, who insisted on arranging the sail-away cocktail party in our Suite. He sent up wine, champagne and the food that our butler said we couldn't get w/o billing us. Jon even put in an appearance and brought the an officer with him. He insisted we invite all 20 of friend's clients.

Not trying to excuse anyone but the concierge organising the sail-away cocktail party may explain your butler's less than professional attitude. We have found that, when others step in to organise something in your suite, your butler can be affronted. It has happened to us but we picked up the signs and managed to deal with it.

I can understand that, as your friend was a travel professional, the ship wanted to put on a good show. The fact that they also overrode the rules about payment for beverages was understandable but probably made matters worse if your butler was not permitted to do that himself. If, perhaps, your butler was coming up for contract renewal, he may have been extra sensitive about what happened.

Whatever the background, it should have been handled better by everyone on board. Your cruise experience should not have been affected in the way that it was. I am glad that you did not let it ruin your experience.

Not trying to excuse anyone but the concierge organising the sail-away cocktail party may explain your butler's less than professional attitude. We have found that, when others step in to organise something in your suite, your butler can be affronted. It has happened to us but we picked up the signs and managed to deal with it.

I can understand that, as your friend was a travel professional, the ship wanted to put on a good show. The fact that they also overrode the rules about payment for beverages was understandable but probably made matters worse if your butler was not permitted to do that himself. If, perhaps, your butler was coming up for contract renewal, he may have been extra sensitive about what happened.

Whatever the background, it should have been handled better by everyone on board. Your cruise experience should not have been affected in the way that it was. I am glad that you did not let it ruin your experience.

Sue,

I really appreciate your input, and I'm certain something unknown to us must've been going on behind the scenes.

Unfortunately,your very logical explanation doesn't fit our situation. My agent friend, Sue,really was not looking to the ship to pull any strings. She just had a small group on board, because this was her vacation with friends. Sue didn't even meet and involve Jon until ~ 1 week into the cruise, after I'd been unable to gain any traction. We tried to work through the butler w/o involving anybody else. I'm a big believer in trying to work through issues with an employee first, rather than calling in higher ups.

As far as alcohol, we never asked the butler to provide wine or champagne.It seemed to be a service recovery gesture on Jon's part.

[We had the 2 bottles that (finally) came with the room, and we had purchased plenty of wine. Our guests also brought us wine.]

Our butler just wouldn't or couldn't provide basic snacks, like those available in single servings through room service (EG: Crudite, cheese & crackers, etc). We were told we'd either: have to pay, just go up to the buffet to grab our own, or order a bunch of single servings from room service.Totally unacceptable to me.

This differed greatly from our prior suite experiences (even in a "lowly" Sky Suite), where they were happy to make the food appear and even surprised us with shrimp cocktail.

Even if there were "behind the scenes" reasons for the diminished service, we "guests" should not have been caught up in this.

I do give kudos to Jon for going above and beyond to make up for what he seemed to agree was unacceptable service.

Anyway, does anybody know who the butler(s) is/are on Summit on Deck 6 this coming October?

• 2 weeks later...

We experienced a similar situation when on RCI and staying in the Royal Suite. But with us, it was the concierge who was not forthcoming. A discussion with the Cutomer Service Manager corrected all of it. We paid for some appetizers that were specially prepared for us by the kitchen and the champagne, but other items that were on the room service menu were at no cost. Actually turned into quite the evening with the Hotel Director and his assistant attending as well. Turned out to be one of our best parties on board!!

There is always a way to work it out, but I understand, you shouldn't have to go through all the hassles when you are staying in the most expensive suites on board.

tnt

Jane

Sorry about the experience with the mediocre butler, but I thank you for sharing the account because, I too, had a mediocre butler for a week on the Summit a few weeks ago. He went out of his way to try to convince me that since I was traveling solo in an RS, the 2 bottles of liquor perk didn't apply. There were other things too.

Perhaps he assumed that since I was traveling alone, he probably wouldn't receive gratuities for the missing 2nd person. Guess I had no way of telling him in advance that I always add gratuities as though there were 2 in my party, plus quite a bit extra for fine service.

Fortunately, Michael's Club concierge Cesar and his assistants were extraordinarily helpful, though, making up for the shortcoming of the butler.

Anyway, after reading your account, I know I wasn't alone in experiencing mediocre help from the butler. Thanks.

Sorry about the experience with the mediocre butler, but I thank you for sharing the account because, I too, had a mediocre butler for a week on the Summit a few weeks ago. He went out of his way to try to convince me that since I was traveling solo in an RS, the 2 bottles of liquor perk didn't apply. There were other things too.

Perhaps he assumed that since I was traveling alone, he probably wouldn't receive gratuities for the missing 2nd person. Guess I had no way of telling him in advance that I always add gratuities as though there were 2 in my party, plus quite a bit extra for fine service.

Fortunately, Michael's Club concierge Cesar and his assistants were extraordinarily helpful, though, making up for the shortcoming of the butler.

Anyway, after reading your account, I know I wasn't alone in experiencing mediocre help from the butler. Thanks.

I'm sorry about your less than stellar butler. We've only had one Butler who we didn't think was great, but they definitely vary some. We've had two very memorable Butlers on X.

Any chance you'd like to name said Butler? We're on Summit in a couple of months and just curious.

Happy Sailing,

Jenna