A DIY day in St. Ptersberg without Visa

Was taking this day as unexpectedly presented opportunity to do sampling overview of this beautiful city

Roundtrip Transport from Helsinki including 2 night accommodation and transfer to Issac square = Euro 110

Boat Trip (English Audioguide) + Subway Ride about 600-700 Roubles (14 or 15 Euro)

Total walking = between 3 to 4 miles

From getting ready to disembark to Issac square through immigration etc = 1.5 hours

From Issac square to Hermitage and then pick up Rick Steve's walk except to stop at 26 Moyka to do boat tour (ALERT: one recommended by Rick in his book is not operational this season). Take subway to see Peter/Paul.

Nice walk to Sokos Palace Bridge and bus back to ship.

Nice weather, great city and not bad for 125 Euro total (including transportation and 2 nite accommodation)

Certainly worth visiting again for proper in-depth visit

(US credit cards worked - pick-pocketing is as bad as Barcelona)

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get thru Russian immigration without a visa?

Cheers

Len

This type of visa-free trip from Helsinki has been mentioned in several threads on this board in the last few years. Easy enough to find information on them via google, such as this one:

http://www.russiantours.fi/cruises

As well, there are a number of discussions & trip reports on Tripadvisor if one is interested.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get thru Russian immigration without a visa?

In accordance to the legislation of Russian Federation (RF Government Resolution №397), foreign tourists travelling on ferries or cruise lines without visa may arrive to the Russian Federation without Russian visa for the period of 72 hours being part of organised excursion group.

All passengers travelling visa free have to reserve sightseeing program in St. Petersburg in advance.

Different options are offered for DIY - ST PETER LINE does offer a bus shuttle service at a ticket’s price of EUR 25€ (example in this thread).

As an other example: Royal Caribbean does offer 'Walk Along Nevsky Prospect with Shopping' for USD 39.

Both examples are still considered ' sightseeing program'

Yes, this thread demonstrates that the level of independence achievable on a visa-free "tour" does seem to vary.

I don't know whether the ferry companies are subject to different regulations, or they are subject to the same regulations but allowed greater flexibility, or cruise ships & independent tour operators take the opportunity to maximise the scale and cost of tours - but cruise visitors won't get the same leeway as ferry passengers. Even with the RCI shopping tour, timescale & transport put constraints on independence.

And the level of independence for cruise passengers on local operators' private & shared tours does seem to vary depending on the operator, the time-scale, the circumstances, the logistics and whether an evening is included. Possibly even on the guide's assessment of the individual passenger's ability & attitude.

Should we ever return on another cruise we'll check just how far we can push those limitations on independence with different local operators.

But for a first visit to St Pete's I would strongly recommend a local operator's standard tour or perhaps, if group numbers or depth of pocket permit, customisation of those tours to suit individual circumstances - specific interests, kids, walking difficulties, etc.

For those who've never been to Russia, exploring St Pete's independently in one or two shore days would be frustrating, and the logistics such as transport, and standing in line watching tour groups arrive & breeze past you, would be time-consuming even if it could be done without a visa.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

Different options are offered for DIY - ST PETER LINE does offer a bus shuttle service at a ticket’s price of EUR 25€ (example in this thread).

As an other example: Royal Caribbean does offer 'Walk Along Nevsky Prospect with Shopping' for USD 39.

I do not really see the difference between the ST PETER LINE "bus shuttle service" and RCCL 'Walk Along Nevsky Prospect with Shopping'.

Both tours are considered 'organized tour' and both will give you some time on your own.

I do not really see the difference between the ST PETER LINE "bus shuttle service" and RCCL 'Walk Along Nevsky Prospect with Shopping'.

Both tours are considered 'organized tour' and both will give you some time on your own.

My reading of Hal's post is that their ferry "bus shuttle service" allowed them up to 72 hours in SPB, all visa-free :)

I think RCI's "walk along Nevsky Prospekt with shopping" is just a half-day, and I've seen complaints on the web like "Beware the shopping opportunity in the tour description as it usually translates into one third to one half of the tour looking at tee shirts".

But it's not possible to access RCI's excursions unless already booked on a cruise (what a ridiculous arrangement :() so I can't be sure.

Perhaps someone who's done that RCI excursion can comment, but I think for the independently-minded it's chalk & cheese.compared to the ferry's offering.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

My reading of Hal's post is that their ferry "bus shuttle service" allowed them up to 72 hours in SPB, all visa-free :)

No - this is not 72 hours in St. Petersburg- might well be at bit more than the RCCl tour. This is an overnight ferry from Helsinki to St Petersburg - shuttle to Issac square and back, and then overnight ferry back to Helsinki. So total of two nights.

Clarification:

Since ship arrives from Hel in morning and leaves in the evening, you have choice of staying in SPB for 10 hours (return by same ship, you keep your cabin), 34 hours or 58 hours (in last two cases, St Peter line arranges hotel for you at additional cost)

110 Euro cost included one Breakfast buffet which was not worth the money but saves precious time as one can do it before disembarkation.

Edited by hal2008

Clarification:

Since ship arrives from Hel in morning and leaves in the evening, you have choice of staying in SPB for 10 hours (return by same ship, you keep your cabin), 34 hours or 58 hours (in last two cases, St Peter line arranges hotel for you at additional cost)

110 Euro cost included one Breakfast buffet which was not worth the money but saves precious time as one can do it before disembarkation.

Still without visa?

Clarification:

Thanks for all this invaluable info. I just visited SPB by cruise ship and was disappointed for various reasons. We also missed Helsinki but as Helsinki is easily reachable by ferry from here (NE Germany) I plan to visit next year and your info has decided me to try including a DIY day in SPB too.

BTW I hold an EU passport, is this any help?

Thanks again.

Anni

Clarification:

Thanks for all this invaluable info. I just visited SPB by cruise ship and was disappointed for various reasons. We also missed Helsinki due to high winds in SPB but as Helsinki is easily reachable by ferry from here (NE Germany) I plan to visit next year and your info has decided me to try including a DIY day in SPB too.

BTW I hold an EU passport, is this any help?

Thanks again.

Anni