Why Regent?

As exercise junkies, we absolutely love the fact that the Navigator has such a wonderful gym, at the expense of a forward observation lounge. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, but for us, the gym on the Navigator is the best we've seen on any ship, and we gladly sacrifice the forward observation lounge for that amenity. It is simply up to each traveler to decide what is most important to him or her.

And jhp, I hope to see you on a Regent cruise again in the not too distant future!!!

No doubt it, TahoeTraveler, Navigator's gym is best on the seas when one considers the ship is small and the gym so large and nicely equipped. Nice having a treadmill with a view of the ocean. Easy to forget the pounding steps when you put your mind somewhere far ahead. Nice to know that handsome forward gym makes possible the yellow bekini when by the pool. Jack

No doubt it, TahoeTraveler, Navigator's gym is best on the seas when one considers the ship is small and the gym so large and nicely equipped. Nice having a treadmill with a view of the ocean. Easy to forget the pounding steps when you put your mind somewhere far ahead. Nice to know that handsome forward gym makes possible the yellow bekini when by the pool. Jack

I actually have to laugh a bit....who would go on a European cruise because of the gym. Isn't it about the ports and the itineraries? If you're doing a port intensive cruise, why worry about a gym? That's something you can do at home. I'm only chiming in because this was also posted on another cruise forum.

I actually have to laugh a bit....who would go on a European cruise because of the gym. Isn't it about the ports and the itineraries? If you're doing a port intensive cruise, why worry about a gym? That's something you can do at home. I'm only chiming in because this was also posted on another cruise forum.

You posted what I was thinking:D

You posted what I was thinking:D

Thank you ;)....and I don't have to worry about my "Porsche"....I don't have one...LOL

I don't think this is a cruise line I'll be looking at...exactly the same reason I wouldn't think of looking at an obnoxious, party cruise line. :rolleyes:

Oh wait..I'm from the Midwest...might show up in my John Deere tractor sporting my t-shirt that says..."got a John Deere for my husband...best trade I've ever made. Hmmmmm...wonder how that shirt would work for dinner. :p :D

Edited by midwestchick

I doubt that anyone goes on a Europeasn cruise because of a gym, good as the gym might be. But an exercise site is important for some people no matter where they are. Exercising on a devoted schedule is, for them, an important health part of life. When a gym is available on a long cruise, they include it in with their port visits, dining, and ship entertainments. Obviously, an excursion that has one climbing steep hills and doing long swims and snorkeling, negates the need for the gym on that day. Exercise for people like TahoeTraveler may be similar to maintaining sugar control for me, a diabetic, despite the grand dinners and desserts. These are things one does whether on a cruise or not. Jack

I also agree that exercise is important. When I think about the Navigator, I suppose the area where the gym is may be the best part of the ship. It is just a shame that only people fit enough to work out can take advantage of the view while passengers who are elderly and/or disabled cannot.

From what I understand, the space is too small to be an Observation Lounge (have not been to the gym on the Navigator -- only on the other ships so I cannot verify that). Still, a library or small Coffee Connection would be nice.

I totally agree that the use of "the best part of the ship" given over to gym space is too bad. I had not realized the loss of this space really until this topic arose here and feel sorry this is so. We enjoy the Observation Lounge the most and spend a lot of time there during the day and evening while on board.

If there is no forward observation area on the Navigator, where does one go to watch the entering, exiting and view of the seas and ports?

I totally agree that the use of "the best part of the ship" given over to gym space is too bad. I had not realized the loss of this space really until this topic arose here and feel sorry this is so. We enjoy the Observation Lounge the most and spend a lot of time there during the day and evening while on board.

If there is no forward observation area on the Navigator, where does one go to watch the entering, exiting and view of the seas and ports?

There is an aft lounge that is similar to the Observation Lounge in size. So, instead of seeing where you are going...... on the Navigator you see where you have been:o People that have not been on the other ships probably do not miss it. The one time we were on the Navigator in Alaska, we had an upsell to a Master Suite which is right in the front of the ship. So, we had a wonderful forward view and shared it with a few people that we knew onboard. That was our last Navigator cruise (3 or 4 years ago). I do think that the Navigator is a very good introduction to Regent. It seems that there are more "newbies" on the Navigator in the Caribbean and Alaska than any other place. She is a beautiful little ship -- just not our cup of tea anymore.

Edited by Travelcat2

I exercise every single day, whether at home or on a cruise. Obviously, if my excursion involved a lot of physical activity, I don't have to do as much formal exercise that day, but most days I will be either in the gym or walking/running on the track. My husband goes to the gym every day too, even on port intensive cruises.

BTW, Navigator has not been to Europe in a VERY long time.

Thanks for that, TC. I guess we can hope for an upsale!

We've been cruising on Regent for a decade and have kind of avoided the Navigator for other reasons. But that's the only ship with the New England/Canada itinerary so what can you do. We'll enjoy the cruise regardless!

When did I ever say anything about a European cruise? Especially since I was talking about the Navigator's gym, and she doesn't go to Europe. I am glad, however, that I was able to give you a good laugh. They say that laughter really is good for you. It reduces stress, gives you an overall sense of well being, and is good for the heart. Funny enough, exercise does exactly the same thing. Which is precisely why it is so important to me. And I don't change my routine just because I'm on vacation. In fact, if amything, I exercise more, simply because I'm eating and drinking more. But the beauty of cruising is that you can choose to spend your time however you want...even if people are laughing at you while you're doing it.

Thanks for that, TC. I guess we can hope for an upsale!

We've been cruising on Regent for a decade and have kind of avoided the Navigator for other reasons. But that's the only ship with the New England/Canada itinerary so what can you do. We'll enjoy the cruise regardless!

You could do what we do when the Navigator is the only choice...... sail on Oceania. Here is a link to their New England/Canada itineraries. http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/default.aspx#aSearchResults

While I am not familiar with the two smaller ships (meaning the size of the Voyager), I can say that the large ship, the Marina is beautiful. It's worth a look. You do have to pay for an alcohol and internet package but we were able to find a cruise (Caribbean) in a super large suite for less than Regent. They sometimes run specials that include internet and tips.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you ;)....and I don't have to worry about my "Porsche"....I don't have one...LOL

I don't think this is a cruise line I'll be looking at...exactly the same reason I wouldn't think of looking at an obnoxious, party cruise line. :rolleyes:

Oh wait..I'm from the Midwest...might show up in my John Deere tractor sporting my t-shirt that says..."got a John Deere for my husband...best trade I've ever made. Hmmmmm...wonder how that shirt would work for dinner. :p :D

I married a girl from Kansas. Very midWest in everyway. She didn't have a Porsche either, Midwestchick, but serious exercising was already part of her daily regimen. Her exercising on a daily basis and from an early age helped give us long lives onboard many cruise lines - everyone of them had a gym. Jack

There is an aft lounge that is similar to the Observation Lounge in size. So, instead of seeing where you are going...... on the Navigator you see where you have been:o People that have not been on the other ships probably do not miss it. The one time we were on the Navigator in Alaska, we had an upsell to a Master Suite which is right in the front of the ship. So, we had a wonderful forward view and shared it with a few people that we knew onboard. That was our last Navigator cruise (3 or 4 years ago). I do think that the Navigator is a very good introduction to Regent. It seems that there are more "newbies" on the Navigator in the Caribbean and Alaska than any other place. She is a beautiful little ship -- just not our cup of tea anymore.

I once peeked inside Navigator's Master Suite at the invitation of its occupants. I thought it was a piece of Heaven at the time. My cabin was nearby and I was using the hallway for my daily walks. I would think one cruise inside that gem of a suite would have brought you back several times Travelcat2. I was even spoiled with those few seconds I had inside the doorway. It was during that cruise that I learned to appreciate Navigator's great gym with a view. My suggestions to anyone looking for a lounge is to hop on a stationary bike and move the legs up and down. The body and heart will thank you while the eyes savor views of your destination. Jack

I once peeked inside Navigator's Master Suite at the invitation of its occupants. I thought it was a piece of Heaven at the time. My cabin was nearby and I was using the hallway for my daily walks. I would think one cruise inside that gem of a suite would have brought you back several times Travelcat2. I was even spoiled with those few seconds I had inside the doorway. It was during that cruise that I learned to appreciate Navigator's great gym with a view. My suggestions to anyone looking for a lounge is to hop on a stationary bike and move the legs up and down. The body and heart will thank you while the eyes savor views of your destination. Jack

Actually, the Master Suite on the Navigator pales in comparison to the Master Suite on the Voyager (another upsell). It has 2 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms. A real overkill but lovely. I learned that the suites with a forward balcony are extremely windy. They have to tie down the furniture:-) You're right about being spoiled but we realize that this was a once in a lifetime experience (or, in this case ..... twice in a lifetime). We did not want to leave the suite and invited people in for a cocktail party. The Master Suite we had on the Navigator was under the "Bridge". We wondered why people were walking back forth on our heads all night..... finally figured it out.

In terms of the gym and exercise. My DH and I go to the gym at home and have for years. However, although I work out, my knee will need to be replaced in the next couple of years (unfortunately, this is pretty typical for baby boomers). So, treadmills and bicycles are pretty much out of the question for me. Now, if I could only lift weights for 2+ hours and watch the view......... on the other hand, don't think that will ever happen;)

I also agree that exercise is important. When I think about the Navigator, I suppose the area where the gym is may be the best part of the ship. It is just a shame that only people fit enough to work out can take advantage of the view while passengers who are elderly and/or disabled cannot.

From what I understand, the space is too small to be an Observation Lounge (have not been to the gym on the Navigator -- only on the other ships so I cannot verify that). Still, a library or small Coffee Connection would be nice.

I am elderly (86 in November when I go aboard Navigator next) and I have my accompanying problems that seem to be a necessary part of the 'Golden Years'. It is the gym that keeps me, to some degree, able to navigate about on my own and to continue my world-wide travels. My wife has been an avid gym follower throughout our 60+ years together and she does a few sit-ups, leg lifts, bicycle, and treadmill on every cruise, most everyday. I respectively disagree with you, Travelcat2, that only the fit can take advantage of Navigator's precious gym. I'm a long way from being 'fit' by cruise passenger standards - maybe fit for a man 86, however - and people like me, and you, and the invalids, too, ought to visit the gym and figure out what it is that can be easily done with the health tools Regent has made available. Don't settle for the leather lounge chairs along the windows or the bar stools in the bars when you could have an hour or so pondering the glorious views while toying with the life-improving machines and weights. Jack

Again, I agree with you about going to the gym and keeping fit. We will have to agree to disagree about the necessity of having the gym on the Navigator in the one public space that gives a view of the front of the ship.

I am elderly (86 in November when I go aboard Navigator next) and I have my accompanying problems that seem to be a necessary part of the 'Golden Years'. It is the gym that keeps me, to some degree, able to navigate about on my own and to continue my world-wide travels. My wife has been an avid gym follower throughout our 60+ years together and she does a few sit-ups, leg lifts, bicycle, and treadmill on every cruise, most everyday. I respectively disagree with you, Travelcat2, that only the fit can take advantage of Navigator's precious gym. I'm a long way from being 'fit' by cruise passenger standards - maybe fit for a man 86, however - and people like me, and you, and the invalids, too, ought to visit the gym and figure out what it is that can be easily done with the health tools Regent has made available. Don't settle for the leather lounge chairs along the windows or the bar stools in the bars when you could have an hour or so pondering the glorious views while toying with the life-improving machines and weights. Jack

What a brilliant and astute comment! What a pleasure to read!

Don't settle for the leather lounge chairs along the windows or the bar stools in the bars when you could have an hour or so pondering the glorious views while toying with the life-improving machines and weights. Jack

We've did slightly over 6 weeks on the Navigator, on two separate cruises. Used that gym every sea day and many of the shore days when we didn't have to get off the ship early. Excellent facility.

Great view too. I note that HAL, on their Statendam and Rotterdam class ships do the same, matter of fact last time we were on Princess, the Star Princess, that gym was also up high with great views. Used to be that the booze joints got all the best locales (not that I'm against lounges where I can enjoy my cabernet and look out over the sea horizon). But, I hate it when they put the gym down in the bowels of the vessel with the bilge water seeping in. We were on the old Regal Princess one time, for a month, the gym was down so low that in the old days you could have exercised with the "black gang" and helped shovel coal instead of using the treadmill or eliptical.

Is "Michelangelo's David" or whatever the sculpture is supposed to represent on the Navigator, still at the entrance to greet us?

message to TC2: my dw 6 weeks ago had her knee replaced. She couldn't take the pain and restrictions anymore. She is doing fine in rehab and looks forward to many trips already booked, including the Capetown to Capetown cruise in Nov,. 2015. Perhaps she can give you a few pointers of her experience on the cruise if you're interested.

message to TC2: my dw 6 weeks ago had her knee replaced. She couldn't take the pain and restrictions anymore. She is doing fine in rehab and looks forward to many trips already booked, including the Capetown to Capetown cruise in Nov,. 2015. Perhaps she can give you a few pointers of her experience on the cruise if you're interested.

Thank you so much for that post. Just had a cortisone shot so I'm ready for our trip later this month. Whether I have the surgery before or after the cruise we are on together next year, we'd love to speak with the two of you. I do wonder what baby boomers have done to have so many of us need knee replacement.

Hope that I am as fit as 2oldforthis when I get to that age. In the meantime I'll have to settle for upper body workouts (not on the Navigator but on the Mariner and Voyager).:)

TC2: cortisone and fluid from the beak of a rooster (forgot name ) work for a while. It's when all else fails that surgery is an option. Hopefully you'll be lucky and never need it. I'm in my late 60s but years of basketball, racketball and running has caused me to have both knees scoped. On the other hand, dw didn't work out but needed the knee surgery. Agree, hope we're as fit as 2oldforthis at his age. "simply marvelous!"

Edited by dabear

My mother in law worked as a nurse at the VA for many many years - and has feet and knee issues - she had her knee replaced a few years ago.

My 87 yo grandfather worked on his feet all day til he retired and had his knee replaced too.

both overweight, and low exercise. carrying around too much excess weight will def ruin the knees.

EXERCISE IN YOUR OLD AGE. VERY IMPORTANT. even just walking around the block.

My mom is 58 and my dad is 65 - my dad had 2 hip replacements (approxi a year or so apart) but that was due to genetics - dysplasia of hip and his job on his feet (police officer) in an old building - Reports are the best shoes! He was also a fantastic patient and was walking around the neighborhood in his walker about 3 weeks (first one) and 2 weeks (second one) post surgery.

my mom works out more than I do (she's retired) and my dad also hits the gym. they both go on walks in neighborhood and do "senior" hikes with a group.

Thank you so much for that post. Just had a cortisone shot so I'm ready for our trip later this month. Whether I have the surgery before or after the cruise we are on together next year, we'd love to speak with the two of you. I do wonder what baby boomers have done to have so many of us need knee replacement.

Hope that I am as fit as 2oldforthis when I get to that age. In the meantime I'll have to settle for upper body workouts (not on the Navigator but on the Mariner and Voyager).:)