Is Brilliance geared to senior citizens?

We have this cruise booked for April with my daughter, husband & family...We are in our 50's my daughter 30's. We have sailed 3 x on Liberty loved it very much but this year we opted Brilliance for cost & time frame. We have been reading reviews from many sites and noticed guest making comments about many walkers & wheel chairs being present. This post is no way being disrespectful to the elderly. I just want my kids to have an awesome cruise! If this is not a good match for our ages now is the time to switch. Please share your thoughts if you have sailed this ship in April.

We have this cruise booked for April with my daughter, husband & family...We are in our 50's my daughter 30's. We have sailed 3 x on Liberty loved it very much but this year we opted Brilliance for cost & time frame. We have been reading reviews from many sites and noticed guest making comments about many walkers & wheel chairs being present. This post is no way being disrespectful to the elderly. I just want my kids to have an awesome cruise! If this is not a good match for our ages now is the time to switch. Please share your thoughts if you have sailed this ship in April.

No more or less than any other ship in the fleet. We just got off a the TA on the Brilliance from Tampa to Harwich and there were plenty of walkers , wheelchairs scooters etc. I think this type of cruise attracts an older clientele, we also did a Canada-New England cruise on this ship in October 2012 , similar clientele. We have done shorter Caribbean cruises on the Brilliance where the clientele was much younger, therefore a bit more mobile than on the longer cruises. We have noticed that the longer cooler weather cruises attract an older cruiser. There were tons of seniors on the TA and the Canada cruise but most of them do not have mobility issues and some of them are even hard to keep up with.

Perhaps depends what you are looking for. The Brilliance is a beautiful ship, but it is smaller than the Liberty. It does not have the main promenade, ice rink, H2O zone for kids, etc.

Go to the RC website and read the description for each ship and amenities availlable - that may help you decide if it is a good "fit" for what you are planning.

Agree with previous posters that longer cruises usually have an older clientele; however, RC is still very family oriented towards all age groups.

Agree with the 2 previous posters in that it's not the ship so much as it's the itinerary. Certain cruises draw an older crowd. That said, I also believe that the larger the ship, the more accommodating they are to walkers, scooters, etc. I've not been on Brilliance but I have been on 2 of her sister ships including a cruise to Alaska which has a reputation of drawing an older crowd but I don't remember seeing many scooters, walkers or other mobile assistance devices. Contrast that to the Oasis I just got off a week ago. I remember saying to my wife one day on the promenade that I'd never seen so many scooters, walkers and strollers on a ship before.

Also the time of year... it looks like you've booked the Brilliance for April 2015... and that is the shoulder of spring break. I know personally (I sail with my mom in her 80s with a walker and I'm in my late 50s) we do not sail until after Easter, not because of the younger cruisers spring breaker brings... but because of price. I think you've have picked an excellent cruise for your family. 5 night cruise will offer a good mix. The Brilliance is a beautiful ship. Although it doesn't have the main promenade, ice rink, H2O zone for kids, etc. it does offer a great cruise experience. You will find yourself gazing out of her beautiful wall of windows more often... and the lounges and gathering areas are comfortable. Oh... and if you enjoy a good game of billiards... this is a fun way to kill a few hours.

I hope you stay with the Brilliance -- I think you'll be very happy with your choice... and I hope you have a great cruise with your family!! What a joy and blessing to sail with family.

Loved the Brilliance did an 11 night Panama on her in 2006

I was 34 then, wife 32 and daughter 4

I never worry about the numbers of any age groups on a ship, as you make

A cruise your vacation

We all enjoyed the ship, and the Itinerary..

Sticks in my mind as I remember sitting on my balcony with a full English breakfast plenty of coffee as we slowly sailed through the canal:)

No more or less than any other ship in the fleet. We just got off a the TA on the Brilliance from Tampa to Harwich and there were plenty of walkers , wheelchairs scooters etc. I think this type of cruise attracts an older clientele, we also did a Canada-New England cruise on this ship in October 2012 , similar clientele. We have done shorter Caribbean cruises on the Brilliance where the clientele was much younger, therefore a bit more mobile than on the longer cruises. We have noticed that the longer cooler weather cruises attract an older cruiser. There were tons of seniors on the TA and the Canada cruise but most of them do not have mobility issues and some of them are even hard to keep up with.

Please don't assume that people using walkers, wheelchairs, etc. and anyone that has mobility issues are all seniors. Having MS I now use various motilities aids and I'm not a senior !

To OP: Been on the Brilliance several times and have found it to be just as varied in passengers as any other RCCL ship. It's a beautiful ship and think you' enjoy it !

Edited by xxoocruiser

No rci ship is age specific. That being said, there can be more younger people on at spring break or the summer. Other than that the average age could be 60 up or more. Older people have more time and money to cruise

I was on Brilliance late April! There was a wide range of ages. Not to many young kids because it was not vacation. There was a pretty big College group, and there was plenty 30 thru 50+. There was a decent group of 65+. Brilliance has a nice kid area I was over there swimming; hoping I would be by myself since it was 6pm+. It seemed like they had plenty of stuff to do. The mini golf looked cool and the rock wall was not in use at the time. It wwas really windy at the time.

The 1 thing that you might find an issue. I ran into a lady at 3pm+ looking for ice cream and WJ was closed so she was out of luck. I didn't really walk the shops on Brilliance, but as far as I know there was nothing. Where on Liberty I believe they have B&J.

I wouldn't too concerned since it sounds like you are traveling during a school break which brings on swarms of kids. Which I am really scared cause my two trips fall squarely on school time. Yikes!

This is a 5 night Cozumel & Grand Cayman fully understand the longer cruises drawing a older crowd. Thank you

Looks like you chose a short cruise during Spring Break season.

Not really an itinerary , time of year that will attract many seniors .

Spring break/Easter break can vary anywhere between March and April. Depends on the schools, different areas of the country, etc. Easter Sunday is April 5, 2015.

Have sailed frequently in March and never had any problems, but this was on 7-day cruises; not sure about shorter cruises.

Thank you LindaO for your reply we are sailing April 6th would this be considered spring break? I know it changes each year but from what I have been told all of March is considered spring break.

Spring break runs anywhere from March 1 through Easter (and sometimes the week after Easter). In the old days it was always the week before Easter... but now it is varied from state to state and even county to county. BUT I do think you will get a good mix of ages on the Brilliance. Also, I do not think you'll get the big College spring break crowd, as (I believe and I could be wrong) they tend to book the larger ships or out of Port Canaveral... Tampa isn't widely known... but I think an excellent port. If you come in to Tampa a day early make sure you check out the Florida Aquarium (which is right next to where the ship docks) and eat at the Columbia (downtown) Hint: Make Reservations -- not a fancy dress place, go casual, but the food is good and it is a well like restaurant, check out their web site.

I do think you will fall in love with the Brilliance! And your family will be enchanted as well. I think the mus-conception that that there are more wheel chairs etc on this ship is that it is a smaller ship and no main "mall" type area. So it is not uncommon to see people out in the public areas. I do like the fact that the Brilliance seems to have more elevators. Also, since it isn't 10 flights of steps... people that are able take the steps up or down a flight or two.

Thank you LindaO for your reply we are sailing April 6th would this be considered spring break? I know it changes each year but from what I have been told all of March is considered spring break.

Spring break where we are in TX is March.

Looking at your upcoming cruises I would say your independence is more likely to fall during spring break.

We do a lot of spring break / thanksgiving cruises to DD. Even when we are not with her we rarely feel over run by kids. Only time we really see kids is when Adventure Ocean is closed:rolleyes:

Usually the only place that gets really crowded is the denture cleaning station outside the Windjammer.

As many others have said, its the length of cruise, time of year, etc. not the ship.

Good to remember, however, that when the number of kids onboard is down, then the activities kids look for, like the rock wall, are more accessible.

Looking at possibly doing Brilliance next spring for the TA. The last 2 years we have done Celebrity but they keep messing with benefits, dining options. Wondering if RC has speakers, extra activities on board for the longer cruises. We are 2 couple from Orlando 65 but very active. Is there anything like what X would call "Persian Gardens" which has steam rooms, heated beds, etc?

Sue

OP....the larger ships have more bells and whistles...ie. H2O zone, Promenade, Flow Rider if that is what your kids are looking for. The Brilliance is a lovely ship and I don't think people of any age will detract from your kids having an awesome cruise. Your cruise is what you make it!!!!! Enjoy!:)

Ok after reading the thread I have to ask- what age qualifies as a senior citizen? Just curious:rolleyes::confused: