I miss the QM2...

bobg529

It's been a little more than a week since I disembarked. I miss that ship. I miss the knock on my cabin door in the morning with my breakfast. I miss my walks around the deck. I miss the library. I miss Aggie in the Golden Lion greeting me by name and asking me if I'd like my Gin and Tonic. I miss my table in the Britannia Club dining room. I miss the wait staff. I miss my therapist at the Canyon Ranch Spa. I miss afternoon tea in the Queens Room. I miss coming back to my stateroom after a long day and finding that my stewardess Vikktoria ad turned down my covers, and left me my chocolates and put fresh ice in my bucket so I could have a nightcap and even had folded my pajamas and left them peeking out from under the blanket. It's been a whole week. I miss that ship...:(

I agree, Bob… The only remedy for missing the QM2 is to book another voyage…

We don't have one planned (yet) either. DH and I need to buckle down and page through the brochure and get something in the works…

The May 9th Alumni seems a particularly satisfied bunch. Lots of posting about our experiences. (I thought most roll calls ended with the voyage--we seem the exception)…

Wanted to ask. Did everyone on the May 9th sailing get a complimentary 10th Anniversary book? I haven't seen anyone mention this---I was really pleased and appreciative of this gift.

We don't have one planned (yet) either. DH and I need to buckle down and page through the brochure and get something in the works…

The May 9th Alumni seems a particularly satisfied bunch. Lots of posting about our experiences. (I thought most roll calls ended with the voyage--we seem the exception)…

Wanted to ask. Did everyone on the May 9th sailing get a complimentary 10th Anniversary book? I haven't seen anyone mention this---I was really pleased and appreciative of this gift.

Yes Jimmy I got my book and my complimentary copy of the menu as well as the copy of the menu for tea, and all my dailies and even my chocolate wrappers. (They still smell like that orangey chocolate. I know some of our more sophisticated travelers scoffed at the skinny little discs but I am a major fan :D

Oh! I forgot to ask for menus, but probably just as well… I already have a pretty complete collection from past voyages with Cunard (overflowing in my travel-memory box).

I've NEVER scoffed at chocolate : )

Your enthusiasm is contagious, Bob.

Yes Jimmy I got my book and my complimentary copy of the menu as well as the copy of the menu for tea, and all my dailies and even my chocolate wrappers. (They still smell like that orangey chocolate. I know some of our more sophisticated travelers scoffed at the skinny little discs but I am a major fan :D

bobg, you saved your chocolate wrappers? I think that's a first, or maybe not:eek:

It's been a little more than a week since I disembarked. I miss that ship. I miss the knock on my cabin door in the morning with my breakfast. I miss my walks around the deck. I miss the library. I miss Aggie in the Golden Lion greeting me by name and asking me if I'd like my Gin and Tonic. I miss my table in the Britannia Club dining room. I miss the wait staff. I miss my therapist at the Canyon Ranch Spa. I miss afternoon tea in the Queens Room. I miss coming back to my stateroom after a long day and finding that my stewardess Vikktoria ad turned down my covers, and left me my chocolates and put fresh ice in my bucket so I could have a nightcap and even had folded my pajamas and left them peeking out from under the blanket. It's been a whole week. I miss that ship...:(
Hi bobg529,

As others have said, you'll have to book again... It is all that I find helps me; I keep feeding my addiction :D .

With sincere best wishes,

Hi bobg529,

As others have said, you'll have to book again... It is all that I find helps me; I keep feeding my addiction :D .

With sincere best wishes,

Agreed. An addiction to cruising can be so strong that the only known cure is lack of time and money. :p

Wish I hadn't read this post; I have to wait until December before I get my 'fix'.

QM2 is addictive. So much so I squeezed in 2 nights on her in just under a month! Hoping to book a TA for June next year.

I miss the cordiality and smile of my stateroom steward every day, I miss the pre dinner drinks and post entertainment drinks in the Commodore Club, I miss the delectable pub lunches in the Golden Lion, and I miss the emotional jolt as the ship's horn blasts and she moves away from the pier with all on board.

Post Cunard Depression (PCD) is quite serious. As stated above, the only remedy is to book another voyage :)

QM2 is addictive. So much so I squeezed in 2 nights on her in just under a month! Hoping to book a TA for June next year.

I miss the cordiality and smile of my stateroom steward every day, I miss the pre dinner drinks and post entertainment drinks in the Commodore Club, I miss the delectable pub lunches in the Golden Lion, and I miss the emotional jolt as the ship's horn blasts and she moves away from the pier with all on board.

Post Cunard Depression (PCD) is quite serious. As stated above, the only remedy is to book another voyage :)

I suffer from ACDC (Any Cruiseline Deficit Condition).:p

Was the book just for that particular sailing, or is it for the anniversary year?
It was given away (one to a cabin I believe) on both May 9th and May 16th Crossings. It was also for sale in the Library at a little less than $40. It is a very slightly different version of the Stephen Payne written Haynes "Owners Workshop Manual" published recently. To be given it for free was a great gesture by Cunard, as was the presentation menu given to every passenger one evening (on both crossings) in the Britannia Restaurant (I presume the same happened in the Grill Restaurants as well). Both were just two examples of how special the two crossings were made for those on board.

I'm sure both book and menu(s) will appear on ebay before too long...

Edited by pepperrn

It was given away (one to a cabin I believe) on both the May 9th and May 16th Crossings. It was also for sale in the Library at a little less than $40. It is a very slightly different version of the Stephen Payne written Haynes "Owners Workshop Manual" published recently. To be given it for free was a great gesture by Cunard, as was the presentation menu given to every passenger one evening (on both crossings) in the Britannia Restaurant (I presume the same happened in the Grill Restaurants as well). Both were just two examples of how special the two crossings were made for those on board.

I'm sure both book and menu will appear on ebay before too long...

Pepper, without wishing to expose you to any undue cynicism, do you not think that perhaps the book wasn't such a roaring success. Not wishing to diminish the Cunard' gesture. :) :eek::confused:

Now that you describe it, Pepper, I did get the presentation menu, which I brought home.

…When Bob said "menu" what came to mind was the pile of "every menu" which I have received on past voyages (and really don't need). The presentation menu was special!

But, the book really touched my heart and definitely exceeded my expectations. It is lovely!

I am too happy with memories of the May 9th voyage to have PCD and I'm kind of Cunard inclined (not satisfied by "any" cruise line), so I can't have ACDC.

Maybe, I have Future (Cunard) Booking Deficit Disorder? FBDD?

Pepper, without wishing to expose you to any undue cynicism, do you not think that perhaps the book wasn't such a roaring success. Not wishing to diminish the Cunard' gesture. :) :eek::confused:

Maybe so, Capnpugwash, but it didn't FEEL that way when we returned to our cabin and found it --with the chocolates--on our bed.

So, if a clever marketing ploy coupled with the need to dispose of 5,200 books, it worked on me and more power to Cunard. I loved getting the book!

Was the book just for that particular sailing, or is it for the anniversary year?

It is really for the Anniversary year and is about the first 10 years of the Queen Mary 2. It includes a photo of QM2's 10th Anniversary from January 14, 2014.

I don't think it will be given out on all sailings and suspect it was given out for just the voyage we were on.

It was written by Stephen Payne who was the Architect of the QM2 and lectured on our voyage.

Keith

I agree, Bob…

I'm sure we can keep the discussion going for months! Just started working on my video!

"Alumni" is a good word. Means we need a reunion at some point!

Rob

I'm sure we can keep the discussion going for months! Just started working on my video!

"Alumni" is a good word. Means we need a reunion at some point!

Rob

Let's see…. where could we hold such a reunion ; ) ???

Hi cap'n,

You could well be right of course, I certainly don't know how well the Haynes book sold to the general public... against Haynes expectations of sales.

The "Cunard Queen Mary 2 The First Ten Years" version has several new pages in it with additional "10th Anniversary" information, facts and figures. It includes new double page photographs inside the front and back cover, and a different cover front and back. Inside it mentions the Haynes version. I am the proud owner of both versions (both signed by Dr. Stephen Payne).

As I said, I've no idea how well the Haynes version sold when published, but it was still an unexpected thing for Cunard to do, mid-voyage :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Do I take it there were some giveaway books on the 10th Anniversary Crossing? If so I wonder what they were. We were on the EB on 16th May in Princess Grill and we did not receive anything. We are also Diamond, but perhaps that wouldn't have helped. Also, have they stopped giving out menus because we didn't get all those at the end of the voyage either, but I wasn't too unhappy about that?

Do I take it there were some giveaway books on the 10th Anniversary Crossing? If so I wonder what they were. We were on the EB on 16th May in Princess Grill and we did not receive anything. We are also Diamond, but perhaps that wouldn't have helped. Also, have they stopped giving out menus because we didn't get all those at the end of the voyage either, but I wasn't too unhappy about that?
I wasn't on the 16th May EB crossing (sadly I returned to the UK by air :eek: after the 9th May WB crossing) but friends of mine were on board for the B2B 9th May WB, and 16th May EB.

They have told me (I asked) that copies of the 10th Anniversary book were left in their (Britannia grade) cabins both WB and EB (they changed cabins in New York). Both of them were also presented with the special printed menu (for the 10th Anniversary dinner) in both directions.

As for the general menus (as opposed to the special "10th Anniversary" menu we were all given in the Britannia Restaurant as a memento), my understanding is that you have to ask for them to be kept for you on the first night. I was told some time ago that when they were routinely given to passengers, most ended up in the waste bins in cabins on the last night as passengers didn't want the additional weight to carry home.

Hope this helps.

Edited by pepperrn

I have no idea how well it has sold but I was pleasantly surprised to find a copy in our (rather small) local library !

Yes, we got the book. It's almost too nice to read. :D