I miss the QM2...

bobg529

It's been a little more than a week since I disembarked. I miss that ship. I miss the knock on my cabin door in the morning with my breakfast. I miss my walks around the deck. I miss the library. I miss Aggie in the Golden Lion greeting me by name and asking me if I'd like my Gin and Tonic. I miss my table in the Britannia Club dining room. I miss the wait staff. I miss my therapist at the Canyon Ranch Spa. I miss afternoon tea in the Queens Room. I miss coming back to my stateroom after a long day and finding that my stewardess Vikktoria ad turned down my covers, and left me my chocolates and put fresh ice in my bucket so I could have a nightcap and even had folded my pajamas and left them peeking out from under the blanket. It's been a whole week. I miss that ship...:(

We go on the Queen Mary 2 for the 13th time next week on a round transatlantic, never once have we tried breakfast in the room, does not appeal in the slightest.

We go on the Queen Mary 2 for the 13th time next week on a round transatlantic, never once have we tried breakfast in the room, does not appeal in the slightest.
I've never had breakfast in my cabin either, but we are all different.

I heard of one lady passenger who was shocked to discover there were two eight o'clocks in a day. She NEVER left her cabin until mid-morning (at the earliest). Every morning breakfast was taken to her cabin.

Meanwhile, a few others (like me) are up before six, walking the quiet promenade and enjoying the best time of day at sea. Maybe a coffee, an orange juice, a few slices of melon, in the Kings Court (before it becomes a zoo). Then back to the cabin to shower before breakfast in the Restaurant at eight.

It would be terrible if we all wanted the same thing...

Edited by pepperrn

I wasn't on the 16th May EB crossing (sadly I returned to the UK by air :eek: after the 9th May WB crossing) but friends of mine were on board for the B2B 9th May WB, and 16th May EB.

They have told me (I asked) that copies of the 10th Anniversary book were left in their (Britannia grade) cabins both WB and EB (they changed cabins in New York). Both of them were also presented with the special printed menu (for the 10th Anniversary dinner) in both directions.

As for the general menus (as opposed to the special "10th Anniversary" menu we were all given in the Britannia Restaurant as a memento), my understanding is that you have to ask for them to be kept for you on the first night. I was told some time ago that when they were routinely given to passengers, most ended up in the waste bins in cabins on the last night as passengers didn't want the additional weight to carry home.

Hope this helps.

That's interesting, thanks. About two days out from New York I was looking at the world map and the other books on the bookshelf and saw this 10th Anniversary book. It looked interesting and I wondered whether they would give us one as a souvenir. They didn't. I looked at the price and thought I can't take it as it would be like stealing towels etc.

Were your friends presented with one as a gift souvenir?

As for all menus I don't want them but I didn't know you had to put in an advance request for them. I didn't see that in the Daily Programme.

As for 10th Anniversary dinner menu we did get one but didn't eat the main course off it. The evening before I ordered with the Maitre d' a curry off the PG menu. You had to give 24 hours' notice. He didn't mention anything about a special 10th Anniv dinner. If he had I wouldn't have ordered the curry. C'est le vie!

I, too, greatly miss the QM2 and had the most wonderful time on the May 9th sailing. So today, I booked two more crossings! Family and friends think I am slightly nuts: "You can't be doing the same thing again?" - so it comforts me to read this forum and know that I am not alone!!!!!!!!!..............I went up to the bookstore to buy Stephen Payne's book to find none available but was informed we would find it in our cabin that night. It was a wonderful gift and wonderful gesture on Cunard's part - I was then able to buy the best book I have ever found on the original Queen Mary which Mr. Payne signed for me to include the phrase: "Happy Sailings."

Well each to his own. :) I tended to be up late most nights and preferred to sleep in and have breakfast delivered. Then I would get a massage or take a few laps around the deck before lunch. I did make it to the dining room for breakfast twice, including our last day, :(, and the meal WAS delicious! I generally just had toast and jam, cereal and coffee in my room, though I tried the whole works once. I was very happy and very full, lol. :D

I, too, greatly miss the QM2 and had the most wonderful time on the May 9th sailing. So today, I booked two more crossings! Family and friends think I am slightly nuts: "You can't be doing the same thing again?" - so it comforts me to read this forum and know that I am not alone!!!!!!!!!..............I went up to the bookstore to buy Stephen Payne's book to find none available but was informed we would find it in our cabin that night. It was a wonderful gift and wonderful gesture on Cunard's part - I was then able to buy the best book I have ever found on the original Queen Mary which Mr. Payne signed for me to include the phrase: "Happy Sailings."

No you are certainly not alone. Sadly I don't think I can mange it in 2015, as I already have cruises booked to Alaska and the Panama Canal, but I am trying to figure out how to get back on board her in 2016. I see by the schedule for next year that there is a 14 day New England and Canada sailing round trip out of NY that includes 3 days in Quebec. I'm thinking that sounds rather nice. Do they offer that itinerary every year? Has anyone taken it? :confused:

I wasn't on the 16th May EB crossing (sadly I returned to the UK by air :eek: after the 9th May WB crossing) but friends of mine were on board for the B2B 9th May WB, and 16th May EB.

They have told me (I asked) that copies of the 10th Anniversary book were left in their (Britannia grade) cabins both WB and EB (they changed cabins in New York). Both of them were also presented with the special printed menu (for the 10th Anniversary dinner) in both directions.

As for the general menus (as opposed to the special "10th Anniversary" menu we were all given in the Britannia Restaurant as a memento), my understanding is that you have to ask for them to be kept for you on the first night. I was told some time ago that when they were routinely given to passengers, most ended up in the waste bins in cabins on the last night as passengers didn't want the additional weight to carry home.

Hope this helps.

The menu I was referring to was the special one. I didn't even know you could request copies of the daily menu to keep and I don't believe I would have requested them if I had. I too thought that the book was a wonderful touch by Cunard and it was much appreciated!

I see by the schedule for next year that there is a 14 day New England and Canada sailing round trip out of NY that includes 3 days in Quebec. I'm thinking that sounds rather nice. Do they offer that itinerary every year? Has anyone taken it? :confused:
I have never taken the trip before, but my wife Pam and I are booked on the first seven day part of this trip (disembark in Quebec). We are planning on spending some additional time in Quebec, and then ride the train to Montreal, and possibly on to Niagara Falls. It would be the first real trip to Canada for us.

I have never taken the trip before, but my wife Pam and I are booked on the first seven day part of this trip (disembark in Quebec). We are planning on spending some additional time in Quebec, and then ride the train to Montreal, and possibly on to Niagara Falls. It would be the first real trip to Canada for us.

Well that's a possibility too, then a couple more days in Montreal, and then catch the Amtrak Adirondack that runs from Montreal to NYC. Still, 14 days on the QM2 is enticing. :rolleyes: Heck, the 2016 schedule isn't even out yet! :mad:

No you are certainly not alone. Sadly I don't think I can mange it in 2015, as I already have cruises booked to Alaska and the Panama Canal, but I am trying to figure out how to get back on board her in 2016. I see by the schedule for next year that there is a 14 day New England and Canada sailing round trip out of NY that includes 3 days in Quebec. I'm thinking that sounds rather nice. Do they offer that itinerary every year? Has anyone taken it? :confused:

No, I don't think anyone has taken that particular cruise because it hasn't been offered previously. I do know that in 2013 and 2014, the cruise is/was 12 nights, round trip NY. No doubt there were similar cruises in prior years, but I didn't really pay attention to those cruises because I was enjoying QM2 cruises to the Caribbean :-)

Edited by Salacia

Several years ago we went on a 14 day QM2 round trip to New England and Canada in October and loved it. In many of the ports we didn't need any shore excursions as we were docked so close to the heart of the towns - - Quebec, Halifax, Newport and Bar Harbor. We didn't see any fall colors but had wonderful weather. Highly recommended.

Several years ago we went on a 14 day QM2 round trip to New England and Canada in October and loved it. In many of the ports we didn't need any shore excursions as we were docked so close to the heart of the towns - - Quebec, Halifax, Newport and Bar Harbor. We didn't see any fall colors but had wonderful weather. Highly recommended.

QM2 docked in Newport and Bar Harbor...that must have been really something to see! Last September, it was a major task just getting tenders to dock in Bar Harbor :eek:

QM2 docked in Newport and Bar Harbor...that must have been really something to see! Last September, it was a major task just getting tenders to dock in Bar Harbor :eek:

I have been corrected. We did tender in to Newport and Bar Harbor but the dock was still near the center of town.

I'm thinking that sounds rather nice. Do they offer that itinerary every year? Has anyone taken it? :confused:

We sailed on the twelve day...two days in Quebec......last year. Absolutely loved it. I definitely want to do it again and 14 days sounds even better. :)

... I see by the schedule for next year that there is a 14 day New England and Canada sailing round trip out of NY that includes 3 days in Quebec. I'm thinking that sounds rather nice. Do they offer that itinerary every year? Has anyone taken it? :confused:
We have been to Quebec twice on QM2 and loved both visits, iffy weather notwithstanding. The September 27-October 7, 2011, cruise was overnight in Quebec; the September 3-12, 2010, cruise was just a day there. Our blogs, photos, mementos, etc. are online here and there. Go! You will have a great time.

We sailed on the twelve day...two days in Quebec......last year. Absolutely loved it. I definitely want to do it again and 14 days sounds even better. :)

We have been to Quebec twice on QM2 and loved both visits, iffy weather notwithstanding. The September 27-October 7, 2011, cruise was overnight in Quebec; the September 3-12, 2010, cruise was just a day there. Our blogs, photos, mementos, etc. are online here and there. Go! You will have a great time.

If you guys are trying to talk me into it, you are doing a great job!:D

Well that's a possibility too, then a couple more days in Montreal, and then catch the Amtrak Adirondack that runs from Montreal to NYC. Still, 14 days on the QM2 is enticing. :rolleyes: Heck, the 2016 schedule isn't even out yet! :mad:

BE QUIET, I haven't had this year's holiday without you lot putting ideas in my head :D Seriously salivating over such a schedule :o

Quebec is lovely! What a great itinerary!

We once took a HAL ship from Boston that was small enough to sail to Montreal. Nice cruise.

But we won't do this QM2 itinerary because we can drive to most of the ports in a day or less (Boston is about two hours away, depending on traffic). But if you're not close by it's a good way to see New England and Atlantic Canada.

Perhaps we'll have to book another crossing in a couple of years. :D

For me, sailing along to all these wonderful ports in one trip would be a lot more fun than driving to each port as a separate trip......but then, I would choose the QM2 over most anyway of travel. :)

But, but, you miss the thrill of driving in Boston. :D

But, but, you miss the thrill of driving in Boston. :D
Driving in Boston is a thrill all right: the only place I've ever seen anyone drive in reverse the wrong way on a one-way street to grab a parking place.

Driving in Boston is a thrill all right: the only place I've ever seen anyone drive in reverse the wrong way on a one-way street to grab a parking place.

Maybe they were trying to convince everyone that they were leaving instead of coming.:D