US Legal Permanent Resident

NGUYENLM

Hi all!

I was planning on surprising my husband on a trip to the Bahamas, on the Norwegian in January 2015. He is a US Legal Permanent Resident without a home-country passport. (His mom apparently doesn't keep any of his documents) I've did extensive research, and so far -- everyone did say that since it's closed-loop (beginning and ending in the US) that a green card and photo ID is sufficient. But others also says that he needs a passport from his home-country (which he does not have.) Any past cruisers know whether it'll be okay to travel to Bahamas without a passport and just a green card plus photo ID?

I called Norwegian, they had no idea. Told me to look on www.getyouhome.gov, but the things that I was reading seem like latin to me, so I was hoping someone can relay the message in English terms ;)

Thank you in advance!

He will need this "green card" and his passport from his country of origin.

From the Counsel General, Bahamas, website:

If I am a permanent resident of the United States do I still require a visa to enter The Bahamas?

Green card holders do not require visas to visit The Bahamas. They should have both a valid green card and national passport that is valid for six months from the date of departure from The Bahamas.

For the closed-loop cruise, the green card and ID should be sufficient to re-enter the US, but he is travelling to another country, the Bahamas, and that is their requirement. Also note for certain countries a visa for the Bahamas will be required regardless green card or no. Best to check with Embassy or Counsel General of the Bahamas directly.

Edited by Philob

Hi Philob,

That's where it gets confusing for me! The website I went on (http://www.bahamas.com/entry-requirements) says the following:

US Permanent Residents (Non-citizens)

***To enter The Bahamas, US residents who are not citizens need the following documentation:

Alien Registration Card (Green Card)

(Does not apply to us) For visits NOT exceeding 30 days:

An original Alien Registration Card is required, along with a national passport (passport from country of birth).

(Does not apply to us)For visits exceeding 30 days:

A valid national passport and a Bahamas visa are required for US resident non-citizens wishing to stay longer than 30 days.

Hi Philob,

That's where it gets confusing for me! The website I went on (http://www.bahamas.com/entry-requirements) says the following:

US Permanent Residents (Non-citizens)

***To enter The Bahamas, US residents who are not citizens need the following documentation:

Alien Registration Card (Green Card)

An original Alien Registration Card is required, along with a national passport (passport from country of birth).

(Does not apply to us)For visits exceeding 30 days:

A valid national passport and a Bahamas visa are required for US resident non-citizens wishing to stay longer than 30 days.

You need the original green card and passport, tourist visa is not required.

Try this:

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/visawaiver.html

Still not sure, check with the embassy.

Why did you say that clause does not apply in your case? You will be visiting the Bahamas for less than 30 days...

That being said, here's the link to the Official Bahamian Immigration web site:

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/portal/public/Landing/Entry%20and%20Departure/!ut/p/b1/vZHJbqNAGISfZR7AodnhiMEsZjW7uViAB8TSGJudpx-cGWmkSEnmMEn3qaWq_v6qH4mQEImaeCzyuC9uTVw_3xF1wSVTP_EEozMUwQIFdQ1FOFi45OKb4LwJwDuHA7_9QNI57tV_fPpVU9VYFZdQAgmQUE5Xg--U6cC5ub-r6pnkav_Y_Zzjm-J0l95ONFIHKq54yb5fM2BY-qxLStBRkrPUhi6YdLkLxfTu5ndB0gxXpbBzMi2DumYLDJKkbbtWF3KbDy_w3sL00DRMB808LjLndG1wt5Mw6BRiZMhYlqpXdBFslohthXDYbZrqiI-dFfQi0VNyRo92kVJ_cn8Q7J96e89PkZ_5AyT6sNrnD6-Cj1bz2XIM-QZ_IudNRr8nky0ScZEQEBenXFplrVa7BLOmP1TQH_IF9QBwDqNjeLXp9EdDL5UJ0L6ir9zirtsmq2p1rpZ19W1vz3Hx7SENb4Em5j6BPEqpHgmcE_HVwDcJyW8Hol9eqYrhG1DDNYPhUYBj3w38_wmPSFQk8GVK4Qt4oVgWpwC5cVgKMCiG-KVH0cLtyB2syYcFWvf0eb110eGEjw7kDHM42zQp5sRO7q1ecybYNteV00W8bOE4eXxRynAoI5KY1lMi32jOavLgvg-6wRVVSpACPw46_3Fc-YJ7DOE8jpc0D13-LPqFHVaS-ahaJzF3Wq9iWEnthTYRqiLwxfShTZKhLFmZ1Wp5n8LsTmfc0JmTWzbBCOdTtZ55v2bnvpcBIRosLwqM2kXMMMxXHtctgLTQG1WNsuUJZf7e6ccvG8syMg!!/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Note that it says ALL persons entering by sea (or air) require a passport. Now we all know that US citizens on a closed loop cruise can get by with only a birth cert. and driver's license. Because the USA will allow your husband to cruise and return into the US with only his "green card", maybe the Bahamas will as well.

*I* would need to get official confirmation from Bahamanian Immigration Service before I attempt it.

Where is the nearest consulate for your husband's home country? Have you looked into gretting a replacement passport?

Aloha,

John

I'm afraid there is no way you can surprise your husband with a cruise because he will need a passport from his country of citizenship.

You are doing the right thing by checking the Bahamas entry requirements BEFORE you book. Without proper documentation to enter the Bahamas he will be denied boarding. You would lose 100% of your fare because proper travel documentation is solely the passenger's responsibility. It makes no difference whether you plan to go ashore or not. You are "in" the Bahamas the moment the ship enters their territorial waters.

According to what you have already found from the Bahamas immigration site he will need both his "green card" and passport. Without both you will have a very bad surprise at check in.

I am a resident "Alien" and carry a "Green" card. I also need my valid Canadian passport with me at all times when re.entering the USA.

Even on closed loop trips, all foreign passport holders are required to meet with immigration officers before the ship can clear. I am required to have both pieces of officialdom with me. No exceptions.

You need the original green card and passport, tourist visa is not required.

Try this:

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/visawaiver.html

Still not sure, check with the embassy.

These are websites of commercial enterprises. The information they provide is in no way official and shouldn't be assumed to be accurate.

Why did you say that clause does not apply in your case? You will be visiting the Bahamas for less than 30 days...

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/portal/public/Landing/Entry%20and%20Departure/!ut/p/b1/vZHJbqNAGISfZR7AodnhiMEsZjW7uViAB8TSGJudpx-cGWmkSEnmMEn3qaWq_v6qH4mQEImaeCzyuC9uTVw_3xF1wSVTP_EEozMUwQIFdQ1FOFi45OKb4LwJwDuHA7_9QNI57tV_fPpVU9VYFZdQAgmQUE5Xg--U6cC5ub-r6pnkav_Y_Zzjm-J0l95ONFIHKq54yb5fM2BY-qxLStBRkrPUhi6YdLkLxfTu5ndB0gxXpbBzMi2DumYLDJKkbbtWF3KbDy_w3sL00DRMB808LjLndG1wt5Mw6BRiZMhYlqpXdBFslohthXDYbZrqiI-dFfQi0VNyRo92kVJ_cn8Q7J96e89PkZ_5AyT6sNrnD6-Cj1bz2XIM-QZ_IudNRr8nky0ScZEQEBenXFplrVa7BLOmP1TQH_IF9QBwDqNjeLXp9EdDL5UJ0L6ir9zirtsmq2p1rpZ19W1vz3Hx7SENb4Em5j6BPEqpHgmcE_HVwDcJyW8Hol9eqYrhG1DDNYPhUYBj3w38_wmPSFQk8GVK4Qt4oVgWpwC5cVgKMCiG-KVH0cLtyB2syYcFWvf0eb110eGEjw7kDHM42zQp5sRO7q1ecybYNteV00W8bOE4eXxRynAoI5KY1lMi32jOavLgvg-6wRVVSpACPw46_3Fc-YJ7DOE8jpc0D13-LPqFHVaS-ahaJzF3Wq9iWEnthTYRqiLwxfShTZKhLFmZ1Wp5n8LsTmfc0JmTWzbBCOdTtZ55v2bnvpcBIRosLwqM2kXMMMxXHtctgLTQG1WNsuUJZf7e6ccvG8syMg!!/dl4/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Note that it says ALL persons entering by sea (or air) require a passport. Now we all know that US citizens on a closed loop cruise can get by with only a birth cert. and driver's license. Because the USA will allow your husband to cruise and return into the US with only his "green card", maybe the Bahamas will as well.

*I* would need to get official confirmation from Bahamanian Immigration Service before I attempt it.

Where is the nearest consulate for your husband's home country? Have you looked into gretting a replacement passport?

Aloha,

John

I've definitely looked into obtaining him a passport at the local consulate. But because his irresponsible mother, he has absolutely no documents showing that he was born in Vietnam or is a Vietnamese citizen. To be honest, I'm surprised he even got a social security card and a Green card because he doesn't have any documentation other than that. Which is why getting a passport isn't possible. Guess a cruise will be out of the question.

thank you everyone for your helpful response!!

Aloha,

John

Unfortunately even official government websites generally do not cover exceptions to the normal entry requirements, such as those often granted to cruise passengers that may waive passport requirements.

I've definitely looked into obtaining him a passport at the local consulate. But because his irresponsible mother, he has absolutely no documents showing that he was born in Vietnam or is a Vietnamese citizen. To be honest, I'm surprised he even got a social security card and a Green card because he doesn't have any documentation other than that. Which is why getting a passport isn't possible. Guess a cruise will be out of the question.

thank you everyone for your helpful response!!

Isn't there any record of what was used to document him in order to obtain his green card? I'd be very nervous about having absolutely no documentation allowing him to be here, if he were my husband. You may have to engage the services of an immigration lawyer to help you sort this out.

Isn't there any record of what was used to document him in order to obtain his green card? I'd be very nervous about having absolutely no documentation allowing him to be here, if he were my husband. You may have to engage the services of an immigration lawyer to help you sort this out.

That's what I asked his mom! She just says she simply lost it. She has 3 kids, doesn't know any of their date of births, what year they were born or anything. They came to America, will all the same birthdays (12/31/xxxx) with different years. She must've had some sort of documentation, but lost it. I renewed his green card last year, and all they asked was his ID, social security and his former green card. :/

There is no need to keep consulting the US or Bahamian Government websites.

All cruise lines will enforce the same rules.

The ONLY persons not required to show a passport are native-born US citizens with a government-issued birth certificate when sailing a closed-loop cruise from the US. Green card holders who do not have their passport from their country of citizenship will be denied boarding.

ETA: Here is the applicable statute from http://www.getyouhome.gov The closed-loop cruise exception is for US citizens only, not permanent residents:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization).
Edited by fishywood

That's what I asked his mom! She just says she simply lost it. She has 3 kids, doesn't know any of their date of births, what year they were born or anything. They came to America, will all the same birthdays (12/31/xxxx) with different years. She must've had some sort of documentation, but lost it. I renewed his green card last year, and all they asked was his ID, social security and his former green card. :/

But doesn't the government have some sort of file with documentation for the green card approval in the first place? While the copies won't really work for anything, it might give you a starting place to get a "real" passport issued. Or Social Security? I know when I was dealing with Social Security when I retired, they needed all sort of documentation as to who I was.

There is no need to keep consulting the US or Bahamian Government websites.

All cruise lines will enforce the same rules.

The ONLY persons not required to show a passport are native-born US citizens with a government-issued birth certificate when sailing a closed-loop cruise from the US. Green card holders who do not have their passport from their country of citizenship will be denied boarding.

ETA: Here is the applicable statute from http://www.getyouhome.gov The closed-loop cruise exception is for US citizens only, not permanent residents:

No...your information is wrong and the page you cite doesn't say what you claim it does.

First, it is not only "native-born" US citizens with a government-issued birth certificate that are not required to show a passport for a closed loop cruise. Naturalized citizens can present their certificate of naturalization, and those US citizens who were born abroad can present a consular report of birth abroad instead of a birth certificate.

Second, this regulation never changed the US requirements for lawful permanent residents. Lawful permanent residents are not required by the US to carry anything more than their "green card"...it is the government of the country you're traveling to that determines whether a passport is required for entry to their country.

And by the way, some cruise lines enforce requirements that are more stringent than those required by US law or regulation. For example several cruise lines require everyone to have a valid passport, even US citizens on closed loop itineraries who by law could cruise with a birth certificate and photo ID....so even your statement that all cruise lines will enforce the same rules is incorrect.

No...your information is wrong and the page you cite doesn't say what you claim it does.

First, it is not only "native-born" US citizens with a government-issued birth certificate that are not required to show a passport for a closed loop cruise. Naturalized citizens can present their certificate of naturalization, and those US citizens who were born abroad can present a consular report of birth abroad instead of a birth certificate.

Second, this regulation never changed the US requirements for lawful permanent residents. Lawful permanent residents are not required by the US to carry anything more than their "green card"...it is the government of the country you're traveling to that determines whether a passport is required for entry to their country.

And by the way, some cruise lines enforce requirements that are more stringent than those required by US law or regulation. For example several cruise lines require everyone to have a valid passport, even US citizens on closed loop itineraries who by law could cruise with a birth certificate and photo ID....so even your statement that all cruise lines will enforce the same rules is incorrect.

Thanks to njhorseman for reminding folks that some cruise lines require that ALL passengers need a passport on ALL itineraries.

I continue to be amazed at how much misinformation there is on CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did they not come in with refugee status way back when (1970s or 1980s)? I could understand how limited documentation might have been ok at that point because maybe that is all that the immigration officials requirements were to process them as arrivals at that point in time.

You say you renewed your husband's green card last year, so that probably means he has been in the US for more than 10 years. Could you not start the process of applying for his naturalization (citizenship)? They must have steps for finalizing naturalization for refugees (if that is the situation he finds himself in). I agree with the others that you are probably needing the help of an immigration attorney. Good luck, hope that you can resolve this.

But doesn't the government have some sort of file with documentation for the green card approval in the first place? While the copies won't really work for anything, it might give you a starting place to get a "real" passport issued. Or Social Security? I know when I was dealing with Social Security when I retired, they needed all sort of documentation as to who I was.

He needs to get a passport from Viet Nam, so even if the US government has a file, and even if they would give him whatever is in it, that's not necessarily helpful. He needs whatever docs the Vietnamese government requires for it to issue a passport, and it sounds like there's no way to obtain those from his original place of birth.

If he wants to travel extensively outside the US, then obtaining citizenship and a US passport is probably the best way to go.

(For future SS claims, a green card and drivers license both having the same name as the one tied to the SS# should be sufficient.)

These are websites of commercial enterprises. The information they provide is in no way official and shouldn't be assumed to be accurate.

Better than from a bunch of anonymous people on the internet :cool:

If your husband plans to stay in the US, he is probably best off starting the citizenship process so that he can get a US passport. If he does not have the usual documentation required to send it, there is alternate acceptable documentation that can be used. Hopefully your husband attended school in the US, since they will have a lot of what he needs.

Google "path to US citizenship" to read what is required. You do not need a lawyer to see what is required.

Better than from a bunch of anonymous people on the internet :cool:

Maybe, maybe not. Sites like those are in the business of selling you largely unnecessary passport and visa services and are hardly unbiased sources of information.

This is excatly right. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread, as there usually is on Passport related threads. CBP does not require LPRs to carry passports on closed loop cruises. Anyone can read their site and see this for themselves. The rules to actually carry them are set by the countries visited or by the individual cruise lines.

OP, this is probably the last thing you want to hear, but your husband may need to enlist the services of a good immigration attorney. As you can see, there is a lot of conflicting and inaccurate information out there.