Tables for two

moonhunter

My husband has hearing problems as well as memory problems. We like to go to dinner late (7:45ish). But it is much more comfortable for us to have a table for two. Sometimes the wait staff seems a bit judgmental about our request for a table for two. Fortunately, on our last two cruises - Coral and Sapphire - we have had very understanding head waiters.

It's just easier for them if you agree to share. Tables for two are more popular and much harder to come by, especially if you don't want what I call the "false" tables for two where you are in a row and your neighbors act like they wanted a table for 4-8.

I really wish they would acquiesce to popular opinion and just put some real tables for two in. But right now it's a problem and that's probably why you sensed attitude...it's more likely frustration.

We usually ask for a table for two and have had no difficulty in obtaining one.

However , many of the tables for two available on Princess ships are very close to the other tables.

Instead of the MDRs, we sometimes opt for the Crown Grill or the buffet.

We have a friend with a hearing problem. When he and his wife cruise, they always request a table for two.

Your request is not unreasonable. Do not hesitate to ask for what will make you feel comfortable.

Sometimes the wait staff seems a bit judgmental about our request for a table for two.

Those doing the seating may try to convince you to sit at a table with others, but this is because of the limited number of tables for two that are available.

If you find any of this staff being judgmental about your request, I would report it to management on the ship. Just being told that you desire a table for two is all they need to hear and your request should be honored.

We completely understand. You shouldn't even have to justify a reason to want a table for 2; it should be normal just like it is on land. My hubby started to feel awkward every time walking up to request a table for 2 because of how they make you feel. Thankfully on one cruise, we found a head waiter who was wonderful and aimed to please us. I'm hopeful that on our upcoming Regal cruise, we will have a great experience getting tables for 2.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We gave up a long time ago on trying to get a table for two. Too much of a hassle. We now go the specialty restaurants of the Horizon Court. Candidly, we enjoy the service and the meal selection in the Horizon Court more so than the dining rooms.

My husband has hearing problems as well as memory problems. We like to go to dinner late (7:45ish). But it is much more comfortable for us to have a table for two. Sometimes the wait staff seems a bit judgmental about our request for a table for two. Fortunately, on our last two cruises - Coral and Sapphire - we have had very understanding head waiters.

My parents do the same because of my Dad's hearing impairment, he feels lost at large tables because his hearing aide doesn't pick up the conversations and my Mom ends up repeating everything. They've gotten well known enough that the headwaiters know them in advance and set up a quiet table for them from the onset. They choose any time dinning over traditional, always.

This was the main reason we only ate in the MDR 2x on our Ruby cruise. The first time we requested a table for 2, the hostess asked if we would prefer to sit with a group. We said no. She rolled her eyes at us and had them sit us as a long bench with about 8 tables for 2 less than a foot apart. We were very uncomfortable and did not enjoy our dinner at all. The second time we again requested a table for 2. The hostess followed the same spiel including the rolling of the eyes before having them lead us off to the same table. DH saw where they were taking us and asked if we could have one of the many "empty" tables for 2 that were scattered around the room not in a tight row. They acted like we were asking for the moon before they finally "found" one available for us. Again this was anytime dining, right after the MDR opened with multiple empty seperate tables around the room. We didn't bother to go back after that. Some people have said we should have addressed her attitude with the Maitre'd right then....but he was standing right there both times she did it and clearly saw, heard, and accepted every thing she did as all right. I've had a couple posters say they had the same thing happen to them on Ruby so it must be an acceptable attitude to them. This was our 12th cruise, 1st on Princess...and the 1st time we were ever made to feel that we didn't want to come back to the MDR.

Edited by Warm Breezes

We gave up a long time ago on trying to get a table for two. Too much of a hassle. We now go the specialty restaurants of the Horizon Court. Candidly, we enjoy the service and the meal selection in the Horizon Court more so than the dining rooms.

Our feelings are the same as yours. Having mobility issues it is very difficult to walk so husband asks for a table for 2 close explaining why. Hostess nodded her head...never looking at us (if she had she would of seen the cane!).... and had us follow her to the back of the dining room...far away:mad:. As we passed many empty tables for 2, we questioned her and she just smiled and said follow her:mad::mad:. Spoke to the Matre'd but he sided with the hostess. Much easier and enjoyable going to the Horizon Court or Crown Grill:)

Edited by Happy2cruise

If you find any of this staff being judgmental about your request, I would report it to management on the ship. Just being told that you desire a table for two is all they need to hear and your request should be honored.

Absolutely! Fortunately I've never had a problem with the staff when I've requested a table for two.

Edited by Treven

A suggestion is to go to the Maitre d' on embarkation day and explain your request for a table for two. Perhaps he can set you up with a table you're comfortable with for the whole cruise.

This may or may not be applicable but years ago, we traveled with a friend who unfortunately had Alzheimer. At the time, she was in her late 40's. The waitstaff were great and very accommodating. As the years went by and we cruised together, she unfortunately got worse but we still sat at large tables and the waitstaff were always understanding as were our tablemates. No one was judgmental.

We like a table for two, esp. if we have plans and need to get out of DR more quickly. We have had a few people working there try to talk us into a larger table by telling us there was no wait if we shared but we stuck to our plan and the wait was under 5 mins. for a two-top! So that's not a legitimate argument from them. We are always polite but firm and get what we want!

We just got off the Golden Princess.. We ask for a table for two one evening at approx. 5:30 pm anytime dining... The wait person took us on a tour of the dining room before seating us.. The Head Waiter saw this and came over, but instead of apologize, he just said, he hope we enjoyed our little tour of the dining room.. I was NOT amused but said nothing..

AT other evenings, we usually sat with a table of 6..

I went on this cruise with Princess because wife wanted to try another cruise line, but wasn't sure of the two formal nights either as I do not like formal nights but understand others that do..

With others that must not like dressing up for evening meals, I don't see why one of the three main dining rooms could not accommodate at least one MDR

for smart casual.. Bye the way, the Horizon court loses some of the seating because of the crab shack going on during formal nights too..

The Golden Princes is a nice ship, but just feel that NCL freestyle cruising fits our vacation plans better, for us...

We had a problem leaving Ketchikan on time, and hit a little rough weather, causing us missing Victoria Port time, but I do not blame Princess for that..

That can happen on any cruise ship..

I hope this isn't too much of a hijack. But I booked our upcoming September cruise a few months ago and have confirmed 6:00PM traditional dining, I requested a table for 2 when I made the booking. Does this mean a table for 2 is confirmed or is 6:00PM the only thing that's "confirmed"?

It's just easier for them if you agree to share. Tables for two are more popular and much harder to come by, especially if you don't want what I call the "false" tables for two where you are in a row and your neighbors act like they wanted a table for 4-8.

I really wish they would acquiesce to popular opinion and just put some real tables for two in. But right now it's a problem and that's probably why you sensed attitude...it's more likely frustration.

I totally agree with you!!!

I hope this isn't too much of a hijack. But I booked our upcoming September cruise a few months ago and have confirmed 6:00PM traditional dining, I requested a table for 2 when I made the booking. Does this mean a table for 2 is confirmed or is 6:00PM the only thing that's "confirmed"?

I was going to ask a similar question. We have an upcoming cruise on Princess with Traditional Dining Late Seating(new for us, usually Any Time). We requested a table for two. Will we have problems with this request?

Pat

It's nice to hear that other people have the same issues. Disability comes in many non apparent forms, and probably next cruise I just need to explain this to our head waiter or give Princess a call in advance. Since we eat late and there are lots of empty tables, I don't think we are inconviencing anyone else.