15% gratuity on all drinks !

Ewoodspark

It's smart. Not only will it force folks like yourself not to cheap out and not tip, but it creates a bigger revenue from folks like me, who are so used to tipping for bar service, that I still tip $1 per drink anyway. Regardless where it's sailing, it's an American ship.

The drinks on the ship are cheaper than any local bar in my town, and MUCH cheaper than drinks in major US cities.

I believe the 15% is mandatory. It's also added to the UBP.

Technical point - NCL maybe incorporated as a US (American Steamship Line)

but the ship itself is of either Panamanian or Bahamaian registry and by custom

things on board do not go according to the 'American Plan' - tipping maybe an

exception.

My wishful hope is that the cruise lines some day could do like some resorts do

"ALL INCLUSIVE" - establish one size fits all with no hidden fees; port charges;

gratuities; shipping & handling; taxes and not even a mention of exchanging

beads like Club Med (dated info) !

Of course doing business this way would cut out a whole bunch of folks and

they would have to learn to exist on unfluctuating wages pure and simple !

But the essence of tipping goes back years - bribery and extra compensation

be it on or below the table for services specified or other is so entrenched in

our American culture that it results in forum discussions just like this.

Good healthy forum discussions tend to keep the exceptional crew personnel

compensated and the those that need improvement in service - well do a better

job and the tips may improve.

Leaving no tip or a pennyante one is not going to educate the service person

to do a better job.

Discussion with the service persons manager or supervisor may result in a better

attitude resulting in a monetary increase in gratuities.

I just would like to mention a few things:

1. The bar staff on NCL (and on most cruise lines as far as I know), are NOT included in the Daily Service Charge. Their base salary from the cruise line is veeeeery low, and the 15% auto-gratuity is an important part of their salary. If they sell much they earn much, if they sell little they earn little - so in a way you could see it as if they are working on commission...

2. If you get a bar waiter that you don't "like" - then just purchase the next drink from somebody else. And if you find a bar waiter that you really like, then make sure to purchase the majority of your drinks from that person "only" - they will be very grateful.....

3. I just count the gratuity in as part of the drink-price - the same way I count the DSC as part of the cruise price.

4. I read very often here on CC that it is not normal to tip in Europe - well, I am European and I ALWAYS tip. Unless the service have been really bad. It is not mandatory to tip at an European restaurant or bar like it kind of is in the US, but it is still expected that if you receive great service you tip also in Europe - especially at restaurants (10-15%).

Edited by TrumpyNor

I am from south America and for us, tipping is a reward for good service. So the idea of it being mandatory is very surreal for us as well. But yeah, it is mandatory in cruises and as long as this is informed before you book and not a sudden surprise, then I am fine with it.

I am curious as to what happens to the UBP service charge? Does that mean that all bar staff are getting an equal split of that pot for all pax on the cruise who have bought a UBP? I would have thought this extra (relatively regular) pay would be most welcome to the bar staff - yet, when I had the UBP on the BA last year, the staff were almost irritated when I produced my stickered room card. It felt to me like they are only interested in those customers who were going to tip extra on top of the 15% of each drink. If I give extra cash each time I get a drink, I am tipping twice! I bet there are those out there that do this and then visit their favourite bar staff at the end of the cruise to show their appreciation again! How long will it be before triple-tipping becomes the norm?

Don't get me wrong - I am very much in favour of tipping (much to the disgust of one of my friends when I insisted on leaving a tip when we dropped in to a coffee shop), it just makes me uncomfortable that I am 'marked' by some bar staff based on my monetary show of wealth. When you tip someone in England, they are usually surprised or delighted by this gesture. On cruise ships I feel that the recipients of my double-tipping attempts have a sense of entitlement that makes me feel I am held to ransom on every round of drinks.

Please don't beat me down for this opinion. It is just an attempt to get us all to understand each other better, by giving a small insight into the neuroses of a particular nation!

Edited by Madmaz

$5.75 for a rum and coke and $5.25/5.50 for a beer is not what I consider to be a high price to begin with. A rum and coke with gratuity is $6.61 which equals 3.94 pounds. At The Dispensary in London classic cocktails cost 6.50 pounds (not sure if the Dispensary is average or not but they came up first in google). The beer onboard is a little more than what is charged at the Dispensary but it doesn't appear to be astronomically higher. In any event when I travel I personally expect things to cost more than at home.

When in Rome do as the Romans. If it is customery then do it. I research where I am going and do what is customery

To put it bluntly if you are going to bitch about the policies don't cruise with them, find someone else. If you are going to be an as...le and go remove the DSC like one who posts all the time about it or try and opt out on paying less then a dollar on each drink for a tip don't book a trip on a line that does this. It is as simple of that. Mm

Its my understanding that even in England its usual to buy a round now and then and include the bar staff. The Bar staff can if they wish tell you that you will pay for it and they will drink it later(or pocket the money)...this is in fact a tip and cost more than the 15% that they add which is how they bar keep gets paid as others have said .

I have to say that it is years since I saw anyone on England buy the bar staff a drink.

We've had a minimum wage in the UK for many years now, which really does remove the need for tipping. I continued for quite a while after most other people stopped tipping, but to be honest, it's very difficult to leave a tip now unless you just leave cash.

The till system at our local restaurant has an option off leaving a tip, and the staff decline it for you before handing the terminal to you. Once they forgot to do so, and were very apologetic about it, as they grabbed it back from me.

Having said all that, when in Rome, so what we do at home is irrelevant when we're not at home.

Edited by KeithJenner

"A proper minimum wage" does not mean the wage comes out of the air. The owner of the establishment does not take the "proper minimum wage" out of their pocket. The "proper minimum wage" comes from the customer.

So if it is a "proper minimum wage": or a tip WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

Enough of this "proper minimum wage" already.:)

Edited by goose30

"A proper minimum wage" does not mean the wage comes out of the air. The owner of the establishment does not take the "proper minimum wage" out of their pocket. The "proper minimum wage" comes from the customer.

So if it is a "proper minimum wage": or a tip WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

Enough of this "proper minimum wage" already.:)

I've only seen one person mention "proper minimum wage". The references to the minimum wage have almost all been as a way of explaining why there is the tipping culture between the US and the UK.

I'm pretty sure that most people talking about it understand that prices go up if you pay staff more.

I am curious as to what happens to the UBP service charge? Does that mean that all bar staff are getting an equal split of that pot for all pax on the cruise who have bought a UBP? I would have thought this extra (relatively regular) pay would be most welcome to the bar staff - yet, when I had the UBP on the BA last year, the staff were almost irritated when I produced my stickered room card. It felt to me like they are only interested in those customers who were going to tip extra on top of the 15% of each drink. If I give extra cash each time I get a drink, I am tipping twice! I bet there are those out there that do this and then visit their favourite bar staff at the end of the cruise to show their appreciation again! How long will it be before triple-tipping becomes the norm?

Don't get me wrong - I am very much in favour of tipping (much to the disgust of one of my friends when I insisted on leaving a tip when we dropped in to a coffee shop), it just makes me uncomfortable that I am 'marked' by some bar staff based on my monetary show of wealth. When you tip someone in England, they are usually surprised or delighted by this gesture. On cruise ships I feel that the recipients of my double-tipping attempts have a sense of entitlement that makes me feel I am held to ransom on every round of drinks.

Please don't beat me down for this opinion. It is just an attempt to get us all to understand each other better, by giving a small insight into the neuroses of a particular nation!

The staff at the bars recieves the 15% paid on the drink they pour(serve etc)in an acct in their names. Its not shared. They all receive a minimum drawer and its gets credited that way. additional tips are added directly to the minimum drawer. cash tips they can pocket.

and btw

buying a round in bars in the UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_of_drinks

but I agree its not when someone is drinking by themselves..although I have been known to buy one for the bar keep after 4-5 for me...

Edited by smeyer418

I guess I should chime in.

I hate the idea of forced gratuity. Yet, I am perfectly content with giving tips when service is good. I remember I wanted to have a beer with my meal on one of past cruises. Server that was going around came up to me, I ordered, she continued to go around asking people what they want. Um... how about you go get my drink first? Anyway, 10 minutes later, she finally shows up, when I am finishing up my meal. And there's 15% added for "exceptional service". Yeah, I paid it, only because I did not want to make a fuss out of it.

Knowing 100% that you will get a tip no matter what, removes the need to perform better. You can do bare minimum, and still get tipped like hardest working person on the ship. So what's the point of overworking yourself?

Also, kind of reminds me of this rooftop bar I went to in NYC. I asked for long island ice tea. Bartender takes his time to chat with some hot girl, then finally gets around to making me a drink. It comes in a flimsy plastic cup and he's telling me that it will be $18. I give him $20. He gives me dirty look, and says "Sir, the $18 does not include tip" expecting more. If you want more, maybe you should put some effort into serving your customer, instead of chatting up some girl at the bar.

Going back to cruise tipping, I think common "Tip for great service" should be there, with a tip guide printed on receipt; instead of forced gratuity. It will encourage staff to work better, and be properly rewarded for their work. And it will give people an option to tip more, if service was outstanding.

and btw

but I agree its not when someone is drinking by themselves..although I have been known to buy one for the bar keep after 4-5 for me...

Yes, I'm fully aware of the concept of buying a round of drinks, and not from Wikipedia, having been drinking in Pubs for about 30 years now.

Up until about 10 years ago, it was pretty well accepted to offer "one for yourself", but I honestly can't remember the last time I saw someone do so. It's certainly been years. It would never even occur to me to do so now.

The staff at the bars recieves the 15% paid on the drink they pour(serve etc)in an acct in their names. Its not shared. They all receive a minimum drawer and its gets credited that way. additional tips are added directly to the minimum drawer. cash tips they can pocket.

and btw

So if a server gets 15% for bringing me a drink the bartender that made the drink gets nothing? I'm thinking there has to be some splitting or pooling going on somewhere.

On top of the 15% gratuity, I always give the server -- either bartender or bar server (if I am at a table) an additional $1 - $2 cash, sometimes more if I have had a couple of drinks and am running a tab. I know how hard this crew works and I am happy to do it and not think twice about it!

Tracy

I really don't have a beef with the system, and always just leave it as-is, though I think it's a little unfair.

Wait... not the tipping part.

The idea that the tipping is percentage based means that somebody consuming a 'well' drink pays less of the bar staff's compensation than somebody who orders a premium pour.

Yet, the bar-staff's work effort is identical in both situations. I don't begrudge the crew their income...I also recognize how hard they work (and I've hauled cases of beer up from storage in my life too....there's more to bartending than just popping the top.

It should be a flat-rate add-on, in my opinion. I'd be fine with $0.50 - $1.00 per drink.

I have never heard of anyone removing the gratutity on a bar bill, but since it's a European cruise, maybe it's different. I didn't think that gratuity was optional though.

I know on Carnival it is adjustable/removeable.......but why??? Oh yes, I forgot who it was that you quoted. Completely makes sense now. Maybe it's me, but someone that cheap shouldn't be cruising in my opinion unless it's on the River Thames so he can have everything the way it is in jolly ole England. :rolleyes:

Edited by Out to sea!

Threads like this one just reenforce my joy of having stopped drinking. So if NCL raised the prices of all drinks 15% and dropped the 15% mandatory gratuity this would make some people happy to pay the exact same amount but characterize it differently?

Threads like this one just reenforce my joy of having stopped drinking. So if NCL raised the prices of all drinks 15% and dropped the 15% mandatory gratuity this would make some people happy to pay the exact same amount but characterize it differently?

I believe RCCL do this for sailings out of UK.

I know on Carnival it is adjustable/removeable.......but why??? Oh yes, I forgot who it was that you quoted. Completely makes sense now. Maybe it's me, but someone that cheap shouldn't be cruising in my opinion unless it's on the River Thames so he can have everything the way it is in jolly ole England. :rolleyes:

OP periodically starts stirring posts about tips. If OP came to London for a river cruise they would NOT be happy with booze prices compared to Blackburn.:eek:

I believe RCCL do this for sailings out of UK.

Yep.

As others have said. It's a culture thing. American's grow up with the fact staff in this area of employment are very low paid and taxed on expected tips. Similarly American culture demands more service, if something is slightly not right with a drink mix they complain, UK just accept it and drink up.

Prices are more expensive when coverted. A small bottle of bass (about half a pint) on Indy this week was about $7 so about £4.50. A half pint even in Lobdon wouldn't be more than £3

If you go on American cruise lines you take the hit, if not stick to P&O etc which are cheaper drink , no auto tip but tend to be slightly higher cruise price.

Yep.

As others have said. It's a culture thing. American's grow up with the fact staff in this area of employment are very low paid and taxed on expected tips. Similarly American culture demands more service, if something is slightly not right with a drink mix they complain, UK just accept it and drink up.

Prices are more expensive when coverted. A small bottle of bass (about half a pint) on Indy this week was about $7 so about £4.50. A half pint even in Lobdon wouldn't be more than £3

If you go on American cruise lines you take the hit, if not stick to P&O etc which are cheaper drink , no auto tip but tend to be slightly higher cruise price.

P&O - full of whinging, stiffing Brits eating crap food - no thanks!:rolleyes:

Yep.

I agree with you there. You can "hear" it in some of the "entitlement" threads on this board. It's .... embarassing. :o

P&O - full of whinging, stiffing Brits eating crap food - no thanks!:rolleyes:

I wish there was a like button.

Having spent 7 years listening to a colleague banging on about her cruises on P & O I vowed never to set foot on a cruise ship. When I was looking to cruise Alaska I found NCL. Not at all what I thought cruising would be like.