Doyle's Restaurant at OPT to close.

We prefer the Oyster Bar on the other side of Circular Quay. Much better views, really good food but not cheap. But then neither was Doyles.

I highly recommend it next time you're in Sydney.

BTW what's the best place for seafood and views in Auckland these days?

Have to agree. Just love the Sydney Oyster Bar. I always make sure I go there for a meal when in Sydney. The food is just great!

Chez

Yes I remember going to Watson Bay Pub in the late 60's. 20 cents a schooner then.

Ah Ha Les ...sure that must have been where I've come across you old chap.

I was one of the lunatics jumping off the Gap with ropes...pretending it was fun...then retiring to the pub for some refreshments

cheers

Have to agree. Just love the Sydney Oyster Bar. I always make sure I go there for a meal when in Sydney. The food is just great!

Chez

I'll throw in my suggestion - I like the seafood from Kirribilli Seafoods in Fitzroy Street. It's easy enough to walk across the bridge to Kirribilli, pick up the take away and then stroll down the hill to picnic under the bridge with a superb view then catch the ferry back across the water rather than walk back up the hill. Of course if you want to work off the battered fish it's a perfect opportunity :D

Lived in Sydney a number of years ago and Doyles was raved about then and I was underwhelmed especially at the service and price at Watson's Bay. Most recently stopped by Kirribilli last December and it was still fresh, tasty and good value.

I was one of the lunatics jumping off the Gap with ropes...pretending it was fun...then retiring to the pub for some refreshments

cheers

Nowadays, they don't do it with ropes and they don't do it for fun either.:eek:

cheers

I might have rescued you in 1969 from ye olde ' Gap' then Flipper, I did that kind of stuff back then. LOL. Yes, back to the Watto for a KB.

Edited by NSWP

I'll throw in my suggestion - I like the seafood from Kirribilli Seafoods in Fitzroy Street. It's easy enough to walk across the bridge to Kirribilli, pick up the take away and then stroll down the hill to picnic under the bridge with a superb view then catch the ferry back across the water rather than walk back up the hill. Of course if you want to work off the battered fish it's a perfect opportunity :D

Lived in Sydney a number of years ago and Doyles was raved about then and I was underwhelmed especially at the service and price at Watson's Bay. Most recently stopped by Kirribilli last December and it was still fresh, tasty and good value.

Thanks for the recommendation re Kirribilli Seafoods, which I will try on my next visit to Sydney.

BTW I have a fish, chips and salad meal at Doyle's Cafe on the wharf, several times a year, and haven't been disappointed yet. I always choose the chalk special, as I figure that is the fresh fish of the day from the markets. You can't beat the view!

I might have rescued you in 1969 from ye olde ' Gap' then Flipper, I did that kind of stuff back then. LOL. Yes, back to the Watto for a KB.

We were a bunch of ex scouts that formed the first Bush Rescue squad in NSW. We did some of our training at the Gap (and Jacobs Ladder) under the unofficial tutelage of Ray Tyson and the Police Rescue Squad.

Loved to just wait around whilst a crowd gathered, then we just let go and abseiled over the edge. The Gap is not exactly an exciting "jump" as it is an overhang... Jacobs Ladder (just up the way) is much better.

Cant do it now:eek:

cheers

• 1 month later...
Only just found this out and what a bummer was planning on having dinner there in Dec before cruise.

Might have to be Maccas ;)

Just down George street frim the OPT is a pub called Phillips Foote has a great atmosphere and beer garden...worth a visit,

Sue

Just down George street frim the OPT is a pub called Phillips Foote has a great atmosphere and beer garden...worth a visit,

Sue

G'day Sue

Philip's Foot is great maybe I should just skip dinner since I'll probably eat far to much on the cruise anyway.

Only just found this out and what a bummer was planning on having dinner there in Dec before cruise.

Might have to be Maccas ;)

If you were happy paying Doyles prices for a meal, then take a walk around the other side of Circular Quay to the Sydney Cove Oyster Bar and have your fish and chips there. Similar prices but better food, better service, and great food.