Day in Corfu Review

SeaCBear

Hello everyone - my husband and I just returned from the 7-day Inaugural voyage of the brand new Regal Princess. I've been posting reviews of our cruise on the Princess forum, but I am posting the Greece (and soon Mykonos) reviews here too.

You can view all of my Corfu and Mykonos photos on Flickr.

If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to help!

Day 3 – Corfu

I was excited to wake up to yet another glorious sunrise, and to be arriving for our very first visit to a Greek Island. I’ve always wanted to visit the islands, and had assumed they would all look, and be, very similar. I found out on this cruise that I was very wrong.

14303752612_bcaae0380e_z.jpg[/url]

Once again we headed up to the Horizon Terrace, and picked up our breakfast from the buffet. The views, as always, were beautiful.

We had rented a car with Royal Car Rentals, reserving a small manual transmission car for 40 Euros, including tax and insurance. We were off the ship by 8:30, and easily found the rental car agency in the port building. They greeted us by name (I guess no one else on our ship had reserved a car), and the paperwork was quickly completed. They did ask, very politely, if we would mind paying cash as the rental was only for one day. We had expected this as I had read that in Greece credit cards are not always welcome. We did pay with cash. The young woman then showed us, on a map, a suggested tour for the day including the sights to see and in which order. We followed her advice and it worked out perfectly. Then she took us to our car which was small, quite new and very clean. She, and all the staff at Royal were so friendly and helpful and I highly recommend them to anyone interested in booking a car on Corfu.

Following her directions, we set out for Paleokastritsa Beach, an easy 20-30 minute drive. The roads were good, and not busy. Driving in Corfu was very easy, unless you have a problem with VERY twisty roads (I got a bit car sick at one point).

Paleokastritsa Beach was quiet and beautiful. We parked in a parking lot and took a few photos, then got back in the car and headed up the hill to the monastery. Many were walking, but it is a very steep walk (and it was already feeling quite warm). A German woman at the bottom of the hill stuck out her thumb as we approached, and we stopped to let her in and give her a ride to the top. She was very appreciative and we made a little conversation on the way up.

The views from the monastery were great, and the monastery was worth a brief visit. We are serious animal lovers, so we liked seeing the many cats and one dog hanging around the monastery, but it was also a bit sad as they were all in very rough shape with open sores and wounds, and filthy. The dog’s fur was all matted. None of the animals seemed bothered about the hordes of people there, but they were also not at all interested in any affection or attention. There were even a few tiny kittens. After a quick tour around the grounds and a peek into the building, we walked back to the car to continue our tour.

14305074804_ef2a12a168_z.jpg

14119105367_57546c175c_z.jpg

I had planned that we would stop at La Grotta for a coffee or cold drink. We found it without too much trouble and parked. There were many steps of varying sizes on the way down, and when we finally reached La Grotta, it was closed :-( We could have swam or stayed there, but it was definitely not open. They are apparently usually open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and beyond, but it just looked like they hadn’t yet opened for the season. I was disappointed, because the view really was beautiful. So we hiked back up (whew!) and got back in the car.

Our next suggested stop was another monastery. We didn’t actually find it, but we enjoyed the drive and did end up at a beautiful, almost deserted beach. We took a little walk, then got back in the car to drive up the very steep road we had just driven down. We continued on Achillion Palace. The palace and grounds looked lovely, but there were already many cars and tour buses, and we didn’t really feel we had time to do the palace justice, so we kept driving. We decided to head back to the town of Corfu to find lunch.

On the way to Corfu we stopped at one point so I could take a photo of Mouse Island. While doing that I spotted a bar/restaurant that looked like it had a spectacular view. So, we parked and walked in. It was almost empty, and we sat facing out to the island. It was an absolutely incredible view. The staff were friendly, the bathrooms very clean, the white wine and beer cold and dirt cheap – I loved this place! So if you’re heading to Corfu and have a car, stop by the Pontikonisi Café overlooking Mouse Island!

14302279371_b665fae633_z.jpg

I could have stayed all afternoon at the Pontikonisi Café, but it was time to move on. The drive into the town of Corfu was quick and interesting. You can’t drive into the centre of the town, but there is a large parking lot on the water. We were lucky enough to find a spot in the shade, and then we just started to walk the narrow, charming streets. Eventually we stopped at a “the oldest Greek restaurant in Corfu”, Aegli, for lunch. Our waiter was very charming and prompt. We sat outside and enjoyed delicious Greek food and some rose wine. All very good and very inexpensive.

14325798673_0f8522edba_z.jpg

After lunch we just walked around the very picturesque streets, and I took a lot of photos. Corfu didn’t look like what I had expected, instead for some reason it reminded me quite a lot of Havana, Cuba which I loved when we visited four years ago.

14325801193_80c784c63e_z.jpg

Finally we headed back to the car, back to Royal Rental Car (who greeted us like long lost family) and back to the ship.

Thanks for taking the time to share. Your review, which I enjoyed and appreciated, is very important for me, as we also have rented a car from Royal, for a DIY Corfu, and was wondering 1) if they gave any recommended itineraries, and 2) if you can find parking at Corfu town or shall we first return the car and THEN go see the city...

2 questions, pls:

1) Can we go up and see the view without actually visiting the Paleokastritsa monastery [and more sadly, the poor animals] ?

2) I'd very much like to stop at Pontikonisi Café overlooking Mouse Island that u recommended. Any more "hints" to find it ?:)

Many many thanks, Dani[ela]

Hello dani negreanu - I don't think you'll be dissapointed with Royal. We've rented cars all over the world and this was our most positive experience yet! The map with directions she gave us, and the tips on what to see and when, was so helpful.

You can certainly enjoy the monastery area without actually going IN to the monastery. In fact, we didn't go in. I put my head in the door, but it was quite busy and I was worried I might not be appropriately dressed in a dress above the knees and bare arms (although I saw others going in in similar outfits).

Sadly, it's really possible to avoid the cats (we only saw one dog). They're everywhere, and while scruffy and battle-worn, they didn't really look like they were unhappy or suffering. I think they are fed and water is provided for them.

If you follow the directions to Mouse Island (using the map provided by Royal), you shouldn't have any trouble finding Pontikonisi Café. It's on the main road that runs along the water, and there are a few other restaurants/hotels in a little cluster. Look for this sign in their parking lot.

14303715382_c3bbf24db8_z.jpg[/url]

They also have food there, but we wanted to eat in the town of Corfu. But I can't recommend the spot highly enough for a drink. The view is simply outstanding (and the colour of the water) and the cafe itself is all open air, but shaded, and very nice.

14119006540_342d93ce87_z.jpg

14305621675_beecaf8a41_z.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to share. Your review, which I enjoyed and appreciated, is very important for me, as we also have rented a car from Royal, for a DIY Corfu, and was wondering 1) if they gave any recommended itineraries, and 2) if you can find parking at Corfu town or shall we first return the car and THEN go see the city...

2 questions, pls:

1) Can we go up and see the view without actually visiting the Paleokastritsa monastery [and more sadly, the poor animals] ?

2) I'd very much like to stop at Pontikonisi Café overlooking Mouse Island that u recommended. Any more "hints" to find it ?:)

Many many thanks, Dani[ela]

Thank you for posting your day in Corfu! We are planning a DIY day with a rental car in September and were trying to decide between Royal and Sunrise. We will book Royal based upon your review. Thank you!!

Kathy:D

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone - my husband and I just returned from the 7-day Inaugural voyage of the brand new Regal Princess. I've been posting reviews of our cruise on the Princess forum, but I am posting the Greece (and soon Mykonos) reviews here too.

You can view all of my Corfu and Mykonos photos on Flickr.

If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to help!

Day 3 – Corfu

I was excited to wake up to yet another glorious sunrise, and to be arriving for our very first visit to a Greek Island. I’ve always wanted to visit the islands, and had assumed they would all look, and be, very similar. I found out on this cruise that I was very wrong.

14303752612_bcaae0380e_z.jpg[/url]

Once again we headed up to the Horizon Terrace, and picked up our breakfast from the buffet. The views, as always, were beautiful.

We had rented a car with Royal Car Rentals, reserving a small manual transmission car for 40 Euros, including tax and insurance. We were off the ship by 8:30, and easily found the rental car agency in the port building. They greeted us by name (I guess no one else on our ship had reserved a car), and the paperwork was quickly completed. They did ask, very politely, if we would mind paying cash as the rental was only for one day. We had expected this as I had read that in Greece credit cards are not always welcome. We did pay with cash. The young woman then showed us, on a map, a suggested tour for the day including the sights to see and in which order. We followed her advice and it worked out perfectly. Then she took us to our car which was small, quite new and very clean. She, and all the staff at Royal were so friendly and helpful and I highly recommend them to anyone interested in booking a car on Corfu.

Following her directions, we set out for Paleokastritsa Beach, an easy 20-30 minute drive. The roads were good, and not busy. Driving in Corfu was very easy, unless you have a problem with VERY twisty roads (I got a bit car sick at one point).

Paleokastritsa Beach was quiet and beautiful. We parked in a parking lot and took a few photos, then got back in the car and headed up the hill to the monastery. Many were walking, but it is a very steep walk (and it was already feeling quite warm). A German woman at the bottom of the hill stuck out her thumb as we approached, and we stopped to let her in and give her a ride to the top. She was very appreciative and we made a little conversation on the way up.

The views from the monastery were great, and the monastery was worth a brief visit. We are serious animal lovers, so we liked seeing the many cats and one dog hanging around the monastery, but it was also a bit sad as they were all in very rough shape with open sores and wounds, and filthy. The dog’s fur was all matted. None of the animals seemed bothered about the hordes of people there, but they were also not at all interested in any affection or attention. There were even a few tiny kittens. After a quick tour around the grounds and a peek into the building, we walked back to the car to continue our tour.

14305074804_ef2a12a168_z.jpg

14119105367_57546c175c_z.jpg

I had planned that we would stop at La Grotta for a coffee or cold drink. We found it without too much trouble and parked. There were many steps of varying sizes on the way down, and when we finally reached La Grotta, it was closed :-( We could have swam or stayed there, but it was definitely not open. They are apparently usually open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and beyond, but it just looked like they hadn’t yet opened for the season. I was disappointed, because the view really was beautiful. So we hiked back up (whew!) and got back in the car.

Our next suggested stop was another monastery. We didn’t actually find it, but we enjoyed the drive and did end up at a beautiful, almost deserted beach. We took a little walk, then got back in the car to drive up the very steep road we had just driven down. We continued on Achillion Palace. The palace and grounds looked lovely, but there were already many cars and tour buses, and we didn’t really feel we had time to do the palace justice, so we kept driving. We decided to head back to the town of Corfu to find lunch.

On the way to Corfu we stopped at one point so I could take a photo of Mouse Island. While doing that I spotted a bar/restaurant that looked like it had a spectacular view. So, we parked and walked in. It was almost empty, and we sat facing out to the island. It was an absolutely incredible view. The staff were friendly, the bathrooms very clean, the white wine and beer cold and dirt cheap – I loved this place! So if you’re heading to Corfu and have a car, stop by the Pontikonisi Café overlooking Mouse Island!

14302279371_b665fae633_z.jpg

I could have stayed all afternoon at the Pontikonisi Café, but it was time to move on. The drive into the town of Corfu was quick and interesting. You can’t drive into the centre of the town, but there is a large parking lot on the water. We were lucky enough to find a spot in the shade, and then we just started to walk the narrow, charming streets. Eventually we stopped at a “the oldest Greek restaurant in Corfu”, Aegli, for lunch. Our waiter was very charming and prompt. We sat outside and enjoyed delicious Greek food and some rose wine. All very good and very inexpensive.

14325798673_0f8522edba_z.jpg

After lunch we just walked around the very picturesque streets, and I took a lot of photos. Corfu didn’t look like what I had expected, instead for some reason it reminded me quite a lot of Havana, Cuba which I loved when we visited four years ago.

14325801193_80c784c63e_z.jpg

Finally we headed back to the car, back to Royal Rental Car (who greeted us like long lost family) and back to the ship.

Thanks for your great review. We have been to Corfu a few times before, but this will be our first by cruise ship. Can I ask does the ship dock in Corfu town, and is the town walkable from the pier?

Ships dock at the new marina. you could walk but it is a ways - just follow the water front clockwise. Our ship (Oceania Nautica) had a shuttle from the ship to the port entrance and then a shuttle bus to OldTown / Esplanade area. We strolled through Old Town - very crowded and hot.

Ships dock at the new marina. you could walk but it is a ways - just follow the water front clockwise. Our ship (Oceania Nautica) had a shuttle from the ship to the port entrance and then a shuttle bus to OldTown / Esplanade area. We strolled through Old Town - very crowded and hot.

Thank for the heads-up.

Thanks so much for the review--great info. We will be stopping in Corfu in September. Last time we were there, we wandered around the town and went up to the "new" fortress. We've heard the island is beautiful so were thinking of renting a car and taking a drive around the island.

I had a few questions--how are the roads and traffic? Are the most of the roads paved, or rocky/bumpy? How are the drivers and how is the traffic? Any idea if the rental agency will have automatic transmission cars? And did you need an int'l drivers license or was your drivers license ok?

Thanks so much for any insight!

Thanks so much for the review--great info. We will be stopping in Corfu in September. We've heard the island is beautiful so were thinking of renting a car and taking a drive around the island.

I had a few questions--how are the roads and traffic? Are the most of the roads paved, or rocky/bumpy? How are the drivers and how is the traffic? Any idea if the rental agency will have automatic transmission cars? And did you need an int'l drivers license or was your drivers license ok?

Hi Herman,

We've rented a (manual) car from Royal and will be there in 2 weeks time. We intend to drive around, because, as you've said, the island is supposed to be beautiful. I'll post a review when I'll be back (BTW, during the Passover we rented a car in Crete and all was required from DH was his Israeli driver license.)