Bringing back sand???

Lutèce

Hi there.

I have a little jar of volcanic rock from Pompeii, and a little jar of sand from the Giza plateau by the great pyramids.

IMO, much better than a cheap souvenir made in China.

Pretty sure you would end up in a world of pain bringing sand or similar back into Australia

The US also has limitations on items like sand, pebbles, etc. (even dirt on the soles of your shoes if you happened to have strolled through a muddy field on some quaint little farm in a foreign country.) On entry, you must declare them to Customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Browsing on CC I came across a thread about how to bring back sand. I'm genuinely curious - why would you want to bring back sand from your travels???

At least, for those who do it, they know it's the genuine thing. Not like those plastic souvenir key chains you see that have ????? Beach printed on them, with a bit of sand, but you know the key chains are made in China.

Please: just keep your personally harvested anything natural from entering the State of California (or Hawaii). With apologies to the bandido in Treasure of the Sierra Madre: "We don't need no stinkin' ...." (bugs instead of badges).

The OP is in France so I don't think the California/US/Australia info applies. :rolleyes:

To the OP- I would use doubled zip locking plastic bags in small size and pack it in yet another bag in your checked luggage. I wouldn't put it in carry on if you are flying.

Sand is amazing in white, pink, black and all kinds of colors. Enjoy. :)

The OP is in France so I don't think the California/US/Australia info applies. :rolleyes:

To the OP- I would use doubled zip locking plastic bags in small size and pack it in yet another bag in your checked luggage. I wouldn't put it in carry on if you are flying.

i have absolutely no intention of bringing back sand, I was just extremely curious as to WHY anyone would bring sand home!:D

Given that France is a heavily agricultural country, I'd bet that they have the same limitations.

If the sand people lined up their collection and were asked to identify the source of each sand w/o labels, could they tell the difference. To me, makes as much sense as bringing back a small rock from every place they visit. However, each to his / her own.

DON

If the sand people lined up their collection and were asked to identify the source of each sand w/o labels, could they tell the difference. To me, makes as much sense as bringing back a small rock from every place they visit. However, each to his / her own.

DON

There are people who can do just that. Sand can be pretty cool stuff, especially under a microscope, and there really are sand collectors... I'm not one, but I *do* have a small rock from every trip I have taken in the last 25 or so years. And yes, I can recall where each one is from :D

Jim

Browsing on CC I came across a thread about how to bring back sand. I'm genuinely curious - why would you want to bring back sand from your travels???

I think for some people it has sentimental value e.g. touching the soil from a country that they came from (and sometimes can't return to so they have someone else bring them some), or it brings back memories of a place that they visited. There could be a lot of reasons.

Hi there.

I have a little jar of volcanic rock from Pompeii, and a little jar of sand from the Giza plateau by the great pyramids.

IMO, much better than a cheap souvenir made in China.

I think this is pretty cool. I have never even thought doing this myself, new ideas for my Baltic cruise next year, a little Russian dirt would be neat. :D

Another good option would be using some of those little plastic film roll containers, for those who prefer film to digital. I'm pretty sure you can buy containers that size at a depanneur, too.

Had an uncle who brought sand back from Omaha Beach when he visited. The first time he was on that beach he was a little busy (second wave).

It took years for his wife to get him to go to France...when they got back he did admit the second visit was a much better experience.

I remember years ago in the Caribbean on many of the beaches being told to please bang the sand out of our shoes and shakes out our towels. They wanted us to leave the sand on their beach.

I remember a tourist planet in Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy that was so concerned about erosion, visitors had to get a receipt after visiting the toilet, or they may loose a limb trying to leave for home.

I was visiting a boyfriend in Washington State right after Mt. St. Helens erupted (about a week and a half later as my original flight got cancelled due to the danger to the engine). I asked if I can take some of the ash that had gathered on the eave outside one of his apartment windows and he said, please feel free, take all you want.:D He even got a jar for me to use.

Years later, my daughter has a volcano project to do for science and she selects Mt. St. Helens. I suggested that she "interview" my old bf via email (he was a photography for a TV station in Spokane at that of the eruption and footage he took that day was used on network news...it helped him get a job at a Seattle station) and he was happy to answer her questions. I got her a tiny tube that I had put some of the ash in, and she attached to the poster she made. She got a A!

I made an ornament for our Christmas tree that had sand from the very first beach that my sons and I have ever been to. It is a cheap souvenir that we can't wait to put on our tree every year.