Princess Regal v RCCL Oasis v Celebrity Silhouette 2015

nhsails

Honest opinions please. After a 7 year break--- DH would like to do a cruise for our 25th anniversary next year. Not novices, over 30 cruises and have sailed each of these lines. Looking at mini for Princess, D1-Mini for Oasis and Spa/spa suite for Celebrity. East/West not issue since we've done both many times. Pricing is in ballpark for each. Here's the problem, feeling totally lost.....started reading boards and reviews the past few months after years away from here and sounds like cruising has taken a big hit in customer service, food, and those little Something-somethings that we always loved. Was why we walked away years ago. We love cruising, all the options of what and where to eat, just that time to reconnect, meet great people....did I mention just watching the waves? So my question is simple: which would YOU choose? Really would appreciate your answers everyone.

Debbi

Have not been on Princess for a while but we were on Oasis earlier this year and have been on Silly 2x with a t/a in Nov. Oasis has to be seen at least once. It is amazing! But for my money, Silly is the favorite. Here are my reasons. The ship is refined and beautiful. We love the Sunset bar aft with great views while Oasis has 2 flow riders and a underused bar with pool loungers. Pool- Sillouette has very comfortable loungers that are not tied together and on top of each other. Pool service is excellant. Oasis has far more pool space but space can be tight. After 15 or so cruises I can say that both ships have very good mdr's. Compared to Oasis, Sillouette gets a slight nod for specialty restaurants. The specialty coffee on Sillouette is very, very good. If you like entertainment, nothing can compare to Oasis. Overall, I thought that Oasis has way more underused and wasted space. Both ships are very good and everyone has different things they look for on a cruise. If you are looking for a classic big ship refined experience, choose Celebrity

Been on all three within the past two years. IMHO there is really not much difference as cruising has changed over the years. Food is very subjective and now more like banquet type unless you go to the Specialty Restaurants. Princess has the cheapest while Celebrity has the most expensive SRs. If you want more activities go Oasis. If you want a more of a quiet crowd, go Celebrity. We cruise all three regularly and in fact going on all three cruise lines within the next 5 months. We go for ports and consider cost more than cruise line now since we are Elite on Princess and Celebrity and Diamond on RCI.

Oasis is really something if you have not been on it. Very organized and so much to do and see on the ship. Never felt crowded.

Silly very beautiful ship regardless of the bad reviews by some. We are going on it in a couple of months again.

Regal is a nice ship, too.

Read each review and use your own judgment. Don't expect the King and Queen treatment, as it is not there. Don't expect the best food and service as it is now not the same as 5 years ago. Go with an open mind and just think of it as your vacation and enjoy!!!

Only you can decide, it is your time, money and enjoy. Happy 25th anniversary, you will enjoy either one since you will be together on your special day.

Thank you.. OXO I remember you. Loved reading your posts. We've done 4 land based Caribbeans and 5 Europe in past few years. But I really have missed cruising. Taken me Yeats to talk DH back! Leaning Silhouette..... Will keep you posted.

I haven't been on Regal yet but prefer Celebrity to Princess. I was going to try the new Princess ships, but it appears that they have built a railing around the pool deck with tables and chairs inside so all the deck lounge chairs have sun exposure; we prefer lounging in the shade around the pool. We went on Oasis class (Allure); it was ok, but you need to do a lot of planning for show reservations and dining reservations in order to see everything. We also found a lot of the lounges/bars to be dead after dinner. So of these 3 choices we prefer S class Celebrity. It has just the right amount of everything for us.:)

Thank you Sharon, Silhouette it shall be. Believe I just needed some trusted "old friends" to back me up on what my heart was telling me.

Good choice :) I'm a big Princess fan but would not sail on Regal because of the small balconies.

Not a smoker (anymore) but thank you .

Now do I book today --$150 OBC, or wait and see how 123shakes out?

I am so rusty at this:D

The prices today have $150 pp discount and a $300 OBC.. for our sailing.

Tomorrow I believe the price will be $150 pp more but if you want the beverage package the wait might be worth it.

Good choice :) I'm a big Princess fan but would not sail on Regal because of the small balconies.

We are big Princess fans but will not be sailing on Royal or Regal.

Emerald, Ruby, and Coral are more relaxing with long promenades and loungers on top decks.

Alex

Edited by EvelynAlexa

You are right about the cruise experience changing- meaning they get people onboard with introductory prices and then charge you for better food. I abandoned the MDR in 2009 on Celebrity. It was cramped, food was just ok and service was bad. It doesn't mean you can't have a great time for less money. On my last cruise 8-day my onboard expenses were $260. That included a trip to Bistro on Five and the Tuscan Grille. If you think you will enjoy the food at Blu- then you won't even have to eat at any of the pay venues (check out the sample menu). Other than that, drink prices have always been high on Celebrity. I only had one or two glasses of wine the entire trip so not an issue for me.

I don't think I would enjoy the Oassis of the Seas. I really am not a RC fan and have tried five different ships. They just aren't my style. I especially dislike the pools.

I like Princess as much as Celebrity- so I would choose from either of them and have a good time.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Honest opinions please. After a 7 year break--- DH would like to do a cruise for our 25th anniversary next year. Not novices, over 30 cruises and have sailed each of these lines. Looking at mini for Princess, D1-Mini for Oasis and Spa/spa suite for Celebrity. East/West not issue since we've done both many times. Pricing is in ballpark for each. Here's the problem, feeling totally lost.....started reading boards and reviews the past few months after years away from here and sounds like cruising has taken a big hit in customer service, food, and those little Something-somethings that we always loved. Was why we walked away years ago. We love cruising, all the options of what and where to eat, just that time to reconnect, meet great people....did I mention just watching the waves? So my question is simple: which would YOU choose? Really would appreciate your answers everyone.

Debbi

For a ship loaded with activities I would choose RC, For good food and service I would choose Celebrity. I did not like the Royal so would not choose princess. Both RC and Celebrity do a better job on large ships.

We have been on all 3 lines many times. We find RCCL to be more fun with great entertainment, dancing, promenade, etc. We were on Allure and it is an experience but just too big. Unless you have an exterior balcony you just don't realize you are on a ship. We loved all of the bars/clubs and went to a different one every night. The food in the MDR isn't good anymore so you really do need to eat in the specialty rests every night. Not true on X or Princess. I have heard that X is putting a younger vibe in the Caribbean with a DJ and south beach style club so the silhouette would be my choice. We are in our early 50s. Princess is just too old of a crowd for us these days. Have fun!

Thank you Sharon, Silhouette it shall be. Believe I just needed some trusted "old friends" to back me up on what my heart was telling me.

Glad you made this choice...have been on Silhouette twice and Oasis this past Sept...could not wait to get off that ship...it was really a big floating shopping mall and food court at sea...none if the modern luxury of X even with cuts on X....they did have a nice aft solarium and a few nice places for dining but more geared to families with kids or those into ziplinig, flow riding...music was slghtly better than X but not by much...all events req. Pre booking

just felt big, and impersonal and crowded ..glad we tried it , but Silho was so much better...have not been on princess so no opinion on that

I've cruised all 3 lines and would easily book any of them again. But for the sake of comparison, I think RCI and Celebrity are light years ahead of Princess. Princess seems to be stuck in the 80s with stateroom decor and size and with their entertainment.

Between Oasis and Silly, I'd call it a wash because in my opinion, but are at the top of their game. If you want a beautiful ship on which to relax and unwind, I recommend Silly. But if you want top notch entertainment and tons of activities, Oasis really can't be beat.

Edit...sorry, I see you chose Silly. Good choice!

Edited by Aquahound

Thank you all so much. Truly appreciate all the great advice. Yup, Silly it is, Aqua 1601 on the hump......Going to be a great 25th anniversary. Promise to keep you all posted and send pictures.

D

Thank you all so much. Truly appreciate all the great advice. Yup, Silly it is, Aqua 1601 on the hump......Going to be a great 25th anniversary. Promise to keep you all posted and send pictures.

D

Hi Debbi

Are you getting the 123 beverage package? It is on now.

Edited by Lilac