Should the ship help?

Yes, I would assume that too. I always wonder why people need to carry their phones in their hand. Maybe someone can tell me why. Mine is rarely on and half the time I have to look for it. I just don't understand the fascination with a cell phone.

Have to agree with you. My phone makes and receives calls. It does not text - by choice. We just got off a ship yesterday and it amazed me how many people we saw just sitting and staring at their phones. I love technology as much as the next girl but refuse to be a slave to it. People don't talk face to face anymore - they stare at their phones and text!

I do have it in my pocket though. I would lose it too if I carried it around in my hand.

It sort of depends where ones pocket(s) are and how deep they are as to whether one needs to take a phone/ipod/device out to use facilities: deep shirt pocket- probably okay to stay there; shallow pants pocket- wouldn't want it to fall in and drown. (Guess I'll stop there).

Add to camera, music, watch: timer, audio recorder ((get good "ship sounds" (horn, yumyum chimes) for ring tones) or Captains updates to add to videos in post production), read menu if print too small), read a book, ships art tour..... all without cell or data cnx.

In all fairness to the OP, it could be that she was using her phone as her camera for the cruise. I know a number of people who no longer bring their cameras, they just use their phone instead.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Have to agree with you. My phone makes and receives calls. It does not text - by choice. We just got off a ship yesterday and it amazed me how many people we saw just sitting and staring at their phones. I love technology as much as the next girl but refuse to be a slave to it. People don't talk face to face anymore - they stare at their phones and text!

I find that Amazing! We were in a nice restaurant with two other couples last evening, & a very attractive young couple came in & sat at a table across the aisle from us.. The Gentleman (:rolleyes:) sat down with his cell phone in his hand & texted on it while talking to his tablemate until their dinner was delivered, which probably was at least 20 minutes..

If I was his companion, I probably would have left the restaurant..:D

Edited by serendipity1499

I find that Amazing! We were in a nice restaurant with two other couples last evening, & a very attractive young couple came in & sat at a table across the aisle from us.. The Gentleman (:rolleyes:) sat down with his cell phone in his hand & texted on it while talking to his tablemate until their dinner was delivered, which probably was at least 20 minutes..

If I was his companion, I probably would have left the restaurant..:D

That kind of date and communication may work for them. ;)

People are different. Just like some posting here prefer dumb phones and others prefer smart phones.

C'est la vie.

I find it hilarious,people explaining what the captain is responsible for.

I thought he was supposed to call bingo numbers and audition dancers on the ship

Only in his spare time. :D

I find it hilarious,people explaining what the captain is responsible for.

I thought he was supposed to call bingo numbers and audition dancers on the ship

Well, he does seem to have the time, apart from his duties to keep the ship and passengers safe and all that, to schmooze with suite passengers and hand out medals at the Mariners' brunch, so maybe he'd have 5 minutes to speak with a distraught passenger.

I am not saying he needed to speak to the OP, but the captain isn't spending each minute on the bridge with a sextant making sure the ship doesn't run into anything. He's got time to talk to someone should the need arise.

Edited by hrhdhd

I'm still trying to grasp the acute infection part. Maybe without the phone they couldn't self diagnose and help themselves when they got a cut or stomach ache? :p

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think she's implying that it was due to all the stress of not being able to be in constant contact with her daughter who was apparently sent abroad completely unprepared for being abroad alone or otherwise. Because she got so stressed out, she made herself sick.

Well, he does seem to have the time, apart from his duties to keep the ship and passengers safe and all that, to schmooze with suite passengers and hand out medals at the Mariners' brunch, so maybe he'd have 5 minutes to speak with a distraught passenger.

Now multiply that by 30 passengers (some of them will not let him go at 5 minutes) because you've set a standard that he'll come running. That's an extra 2 1/2 hours minimum plus the downtime caused by him having to put aside what he was working on walk down and then get focused again after he's done taking to them. I'm pretty certain he isn't sitting around just twiddling his thumbs all day, he has a staff to manage and other duties.

LOL!!!! OP is funny!!1 Let's recap:

1) OP loses i phone due to own negligence.

2) OP freaks out and expects Captain to send out search party

and turn ship upside down.

3) When OP's requests are refused.....HAL staff is "rude and

uncooperative."

4) This catastrophe causes OP to develop acute infection. Lawyers

contacted. LAwsuit against HAL pending.

5) OP posts on cruise critic. Bad bad bad HAL!

Yup. That about sums it up! OP if your i phone was stolen, hopefully it was crew member who can sell it for a few shekels. Think of it as an extra gratuity!!

First World Proble:p:p:pms!!!!!

I don't know whether OP's post is a prank or real, but if it is the latter, let me summarize as well. It appears from the responses from most posters that the answer to OP's question, "Should the ship help"?, is: NO! because OP is careless, stupid, rude, overbearing and shouldn't bring a cell phone into a restroom to begin with.

Edited by doublebzz

I don't know whether OP's post is a prank or real, but if it is the latter, let me summarize as well. It appears from the responses from most posters that the answer to OP's question, "Should the ship help"?, is: NO! because OP is careless, stupid, rude, overbearing and shouldn't bring a cell phone into a restroom to begin with.

Not quite right there.

Assuming the OP was genuine, it's apparent from the responders posts that the answer is "Yes, and the ship did help in what would be considered a reasonable fashion. Anything more is unreasonable on the OP's part."

There's a meme going around of a bunch of people together all staring at the phones...."THIS is the zombie apocalypse!" yep

Now multiply that by 30 passengers (some of them will not let him go at 5 minutes) because you've set a standard that he'll come running. That's an extra 2 1/2 hours minimum plus the downtime caused by him having to put aside what he was working on walk down and then get focused again after he's done taking to them. I'm pretty certain he isn't sitting around just twiddling his thumbs all day, he has a staff to manage and other duties.

I wasn't setting any standard or saying that he should "come running," just noting that the captain has time in his day to talk with passengers about serious issues if needed.

Is this particular issue serious enough to rise to that level? Probably not. Could other issues rise to that level? Yes.

Edited by hrhdhd

I'm still trying to grasp the acute infection part. Maybe without the phone they couldn't self diagnose and help themselves when they got a cut or stomach ache? :p

that was pretty much when I disregarded. But maybe English isn't the first language and the OP really meant they had an anxiety attack accompanying symptoms

my first thought was - oy we're setting up for a lawsuit for extreme distress and failure to enjoy the cruise with subsequent severe, longlasting illness, likely resulting in PTSD and not otherwise specified psychological distress.

I would add - don't forget to put in there that as a result, have extreme weight gain related to the PTSD and therefore a need to have cosmetic surgery in order to return to prior level of functioning.

I wasn't setting any standard or saying that he should "come running," just noting that the captain has time in his day to talk with passengers about serious issues if needed.

But you are setting a standard if you make an exception. All the other passengers are going to ask for the same treatment. You can't just randomly break the system for minor issues like this. Even if he had the time at that moment you have to say no because of the consequences. That's just how things work in the customer service world.

A new standard on HAL ships?

Every half hour or so an announcement about someone's lost camera or sunglasses, or important book.

Every morning, sheets of paper notices imploring people to return those items along with an explanation of why it is so important.

Sitting by the front desk in order to catch a glimpse of the Captain coming down every hour or so to meet some cruiser who has lost an item.

Ambulances at the dock waiting for the ship to arrive so that some of those whose lost items have not been returned can be taken for medical observation.

Is this particular issue serious enough to rise to that level? Probably not. Could other issues rise to that level? Yes.

I'm sure Steve Jobs had time in his day to listen to a few that couldn't get their I-phone to work. I get the sneaking suspicion he didn't

I also have to wonder, if the daughter who is apparently cluelessly visiting China had had a LEGITIMATE emergency what mom was going to do while on the ship. Would she have demanded a helicopter lift her off the ship and fly her to China?

Perhaps taking a cruise while the child was being sent abroad with apparently little knowledge of where she was going (begs the question...if mom speaks Chinese why she didn't teach her child before said child went over - or at least get her Rosetta Stone or something so she has a clue of how to ask for the basics) wasn't the best or most well-thought-out idea ever.

If the daughter also has a smart phone, there are translate apps that do a decent job. No need to call mommy/daddy to translate. Of course that would only work if the daughter doesn't leave her phone in a restroom.

OP, the ship did help. Expecting anything more is unreasonable.

It is always frustrating to lose a phone. It would be extra worrisome if you where concerned about your daughter. It is easy to think that the cruise line is there to help you with your problems while you are away from home but, really, only in a very limited way. The same applies to your health and safety, I know from experience if you are disembarked for health reasons you are on your own.

It is sad that some insensitive person stole the OP's phone. I was on a cruise where someone actually stole a disabled persons custom shoes!!

As a side note, I often carry my phone to take photos even while in airplane mode. It doesn't seem odd to me that someone would have it in a lavatory with them.

I wonder when the OP said her daughter was 'traveling alone' if she meant actually alone by herself or could she possibly have been going with a guided tour group but no family or friends with her? The girl is a first year college student she said- 18-19 years old? I can't imagine sending a teenager off to China totally by herself. An Iphone was her only companion??? Lots of good that would do in an emergency.

But you are setting a standard if you make an exception. All the other passengers are going to ask for the same treatment. You can't just randomly break the system for minor issues like this. Even if he had the time at that moment you have to say no because of the consequences. That's just how things work in the customer service world.

Okay, one last time: I'm not saying the system should be randomly broken. I'm saying the system should account for that scenario that would mean the captain would talk to a passenger if the situation warranted. In the meantime, his minions can run interference and make sure he's not troubled with nonsense.

But to imply the captain is some sort of god who can't be bothered with ANY issue, ever, no ifs, ands or buts, is to not have a grasp on reality. He's a man. A busy one, sure, but let's say on day 3 of a 7 day cruise the captain has a heart attack and dies. Will the ship sink? Of course not. ;)

Getting the Captain involved? It's the equivalent of calling in the SWAT team because your neighbors dog went on your lawn.

If the phone was of such great importance I would have had a back up plan. At the minimum my contacts backed up. Possibly a second phone.