Creative tipping ideas

sweetp09

I'm not trying to start any fights, but I have read that some people give little things along with their cash tip for different things. One idea I think I remember is little chocolates. Any others that have been appreciated? How/when do you give them?

I'm not trying to start any fights, but I have read that some people give little things along with their cash tip for different things. One idea I think I remember is little chocolates. Any others that have been appreciated? How/when do you give them?

Cash is golden. Most of the ships employees send a good portion of their money home to support the family. I would guess a prepaid phone card would be appreciated so they could call home. Just my thoughts, I personally stick to 100% cash.

A prepaid telephone card is usually appreciated. One a recent cruise I learned that the Captain's wife was expecting a girl and that one of the bar servers was soon to be a new father of a boy. We got baby gifts for both. A simple "Thank You" note is always proper and appreciated.

On a B2B we had our 2 bottles of welcome bubbly and a fridge full of soft drinks that we didnt drink so gave them to our steward - he and his assistant had a big smile on their faces as they were allowed to accept and keep them.

I put my end of cuise "extra" tips in thank you note cards that I bring with me. On the last full day, DH and I spend a few minutes letting each of those receiving an envelope know how they enhanced our trip. I hope that when they read it, they appreciate the sentiment an not just the cash :rolleyes:.

Note: Those who receive extra are alos mentioned by name in our comment card. I understand that this can mean a lot to the staff as well.

Ok tipping is a personal thing. And it’s WONDERFUL to hear when someone wants to tip these crew people who work so hard (vs hearing about people who resent tipping) so please don’t’ take this as critique. Different strokes different folks.

BUT I asked a Butler who I became chummy with a few cruises ago. Asked about the phone cards, etc and he told me this “At your job, would you rather get paid in phone cards, or cash?”

So for me, cash is it along with a handwritten note if applicable.

In these days of skyping, email and cell phones, who even uses phone cards anymore.

I don't work for trinkets or candy....why would anyone think such things would be appreciated. In a service industry where you rely on positive feedback from the passengers, of course you're act like that box of chocolate or your leftover wine is the greatest thing ever.

Extra cash and a positive mention on the comment cards is the way to go.

Baby gifts, really? :confused: Give them something they have to ship or lug halfway around the world.

I agree Cash is king. We also enclose it in a personal thank you card. What else is VERY importatnt to the staff is to mention them BY NAME on the comment card. THat is how they get promotions and raises.

On your next Celebrity cruise ask staff if they would prefer extra cash or a very strong ATD card. You might be surprised by the answer. I know that a number of posters on Cruise Critic have heard me ask that question and they were surprised at the response.

Letters to the company at: contactmichael@celebrity.com are even more highly prized and have resulted in a number of promotions for outstanding staff. A representative from the Miami Office once told me in a follow up call to one of my emails that very few positive emails and letters are received and are very helpful. The subject of my comments is now a Michael's Club Concierge and is fantastic!

Baby gifts, really? :confused: Give them something they have to ship or lug halfway around the world.

With all respect: You don't know the people involved. You don't know the relationships my DW and I have with these people and their families. You don't know the nature of the conversations we had. You don't know the types of gifts. You don't know their reactions to our gesture. In short, in this particular case ( and I limit my comment to this particular case only) you don't know what you're talking about.

One thing that does make sense however, is when you give a gift do make certain that it is small and light. Or, offer to mail it to their desired address.

Edited by Orator

I prefer to gifts to my family and loved ones...I don't get friendly with the staff although I am friendly to them...I tip them via auto tip and occasionally tip something extra for above and beyond service I.e. Butler slinger a special request...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

MONEY!!! In your real world job, what would you prefer for your holiday bonus - a turkey, a gift card to Walmart, a phone card, or $200.

Why treat the cruise people any different?

Just realize that they are not your friends and will never be your friends. When you leave the ship, they have to deal with another couple that they will interact with for a week or so.

Treat them with respect. Don't make their jobs too hard by leaving your cabin messy. Give them a good write up (if warranted) when you leave, and give them money.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

On your next Celebrity cruise ask staff if they would prefer extra cash or a very strong ATD card. You might be surprised by the answer. I know that a number of posters on Cruise Critic have heard me ask that question and they were surprised at the response.

Letters to the company at: contactmichael@celebrity.com are even more highly prized and have resulted in a number of promotions for outstanding staff. A representative from the Miami Office once told me in a follow up call to one of my emails that very few positive emails and letters are received and are very helpful. The subject of my comments is now a Michael's Club Concierge and is fantastic!

With all due respect, we have been on man ycruises and know a lot of the staff very well. They have always told us they prefer cash. With it they can purchase whatever they would like.

With all due respect, we have been on man ycruises and know a lot of the staff very well. They have always told us they prefer cash. With it they can purchase whatever they would like.

Experiences do indeed differ. It would be interesting if a number of people asked and reported the results.

With all due respect, we have been on man ycruises and know a lot of the staff very well. They have always told us they prefer cash.

On your next Celebrity cruise ask staff if they would prefer extra cash or a very strong ATD card. You might be surprised by the answer. !

Why not do both? Then, there is no argument. ;)

Edited by Texed

This subject comes up periodically. We always tip well by auto tip and extra cash. My DH is European background, worked as a Matre'd in Europe in Southern France himself ... loves to get to know the staff we come in contact with and he always travels with small gifts. Sometimes he gifts someone something in a very sponatenous way based on a conversations. Making contact with folks in a genuine way is a talent. My DH has the talent, I don't. Folks always remember him.

Why not do both? Then, there is no argument. ;)

Aren't you the diplomat. Thinking of running for Congress? However, you might be disqualified since you listen to all sides and try to compromise.

Edited by Orator

Cash is king (as others have said)!!!!! We give our room attendant and his/her assistant $20 at the beginning for special requests. We also do PrePaid Gratuities. We tip generously in the Elite Lounge and anywhere we go. I know that I will get mucho flack because people feel they should not tip (other than pre-paid) because it should be expected as part of their cruise payments. I respect their opinions. We are Elite Plus and again, Cash Is King!

BUT I asked a Butler who I became chummy with a few cruises ago. Asked about the phone cards, etc and he told me this “At your job, would you rather get paid in phone cards, or cash?”

So for me, cash is it along with a handwritten note if applicable.

Thank you for the reply. I hadn't thought of it like that before, not sure why, just didn't. I figured cash was best but was curious. Thanks so much!

Sweetp09, just remember that for food, you don't know their personal tastes, allergies or religious beliefs. Many workers on board are Muslim and must abide by halal, or Hindu, and will abide by their dietary restrictions, so any food item isn't a good idea.

Sweetp09, just remember that for food, you don't know their personal tastes, allergies or religious beliefs. Many workers on board are Muslim and must abide by halal, or Hindu, and will abide by their dietary restrictions, so any food item isn't a good idea.

Whoa! Good point! Another point I didn't think about. This further reinforces sticking to cash for me. Thank you!:D