Creative tipping ideas

sweetp09

A prepaid telephone card is usually appreciated. One a recent cruise I learned that the Captain's wife was expecting a girl and that one of the bar servers was soon to be a new father of a boy. We got baby gifts for both. A simple "Thank You" note is always proper and appreciated.

I agree that a personal thank you note and cash is what is most appropriate however, like you, we had an assistant waiter who was about to fly home in time for his wife to give birth to their first child. He was really touched with the [small, lightweight] baby gift we gave him along with the usual cash additional tip.

Edited by Project_gal

On a B2B we had our 2 bottles of welcome bubbly and a fridge full of soft drinks that we didnt drink so gave them to our steward - he and his assistant had a big smile on their faces as they were allowed to accept and keep them.

I had not thought about it as an additional gratuity but, yes, our butler was really pleased with the surplus alcohol we gave him at the end of our latest cruise. Until then, we had always assumed that crew would not be allowed to accept beverages.

Letters to the company at: contactmichael@celebrity.com are even more highly prized and have resulted in a number of promotions for outstanding staff. A representative from the Miami Office once told me in a follow up call to one of my emails that very few positive emails and letters are received and are very helpful. The subject of my comments is now a Michael's Club Concierge and is fantastic!

We do not cruise nearly so often as you but I can confirm that any positive feedback sent to Celebrity once you have returned home is always appreciated and acknowledged. It has always been explained to us how our feedback has been actioned so that we know that the individuals we have mentioned know how much we appreciated their service.

No need to go to the trouble of getting creative when all they really want is CASH! :D

LuLu

^^^possibly the best post of the day!

Your crew members:

• live in TINY cabins and don't have room for trinkets, no matter how useful you may find the particular item, nor do they need extra stuff to lug home at the end of their contract. Even when you know someone well it's tough to find just the right gift, never mind someone you've only known casually for a week!
  • probably all use cell phones/skype/etc. so don't need phone cards
  • may have many dietary restrictions and preferences, so may very well not want that box of candy, homemade bon bons, novelty food item from your home state etc.
  • almost certainly don't share your passion for your home city/sports team/alma mater and thus don't want a t-shirts or ball caps from same
  • will almost certainly gush over anything you give them whether actually like it or not, because they are being polite and don't want to risk getting a lesser cash tip or bad write up.

As someone else said, how would YOU prefer to receive a bonus from your boss? Cash, and perhaps a written note of commendation for your personnel file? Or a box of pecan clusters and a t-shirt from Podunk City, USA 'cause that's where your boss grew up? :D

^^^possibly the best post of the day!

Your crew members:

• live in TINY cabins and don't have room for trinkets, no matter how useful you may find the particular item, nor do they need extra stuff to lug home at the end of their contract. Even when you know someone well it's tough to find just the right gift, never mind someone you've only known casually for a week!
  • probably all use cell phones/skype/etc. so don't need phone cards
  • may have many dietary restrictions and preferences, so may very well not want that box of candy, homemade bon bons, novelty food item from your home state etc.
  • almost certainly don't share your passion for your home city/sports team/alma mater and thus don't want a t-shirts or ball caps from same
  • will almost certainly gush over anything you give them whether actually like it or not, because they are being polite and don't want to risk getting a lesser cash tip or bad write up.

As someone else said, how would YOU prefer to receive a bonus from your boss? Cash, and perhaps a written note of commendation for your personnel file? Or a box of pecan clusters and a t-shirt from Podunk City, USA 'cause that's where your boss grew up? :D

Love your post. Just about sums up my opinion of these useless gifts, which are given not for the benefit of the recipient, but for the "What a truly wonderful person I am" feeling the giver needs to feel good about themselves.

Cash is golden. Most of the ships employees send a good portion of their money home to support the family. I would guess a prepaid phone card would be appreciated so they could call home. Just my thoughts, I personally stick to 100% cash.

Agree. Only we get hung up in being "cute". Cash is king and any other "cute" things are worthless. We have no clue what each individual's want are.

Edited by blindrid

One of my friends used to work on a cruise ship and she has told stories about what she received from guests who thought they were doing something special for her. So many people would bring her homemade cookies or candy, or even wrapped up from the stores. She would always act like it was the highlight of the day receiving this, but as soon as the guests left the ship, she would dump it. Like she says, she had no idea of how long ago this was made and how it was made. Beside being a cruise member, it's difficult to eat healthy, so no way she would eat chocolate from the guests.

The same with home made gifts, she had no room for it and really didn't care about it... Out it went!

She also had people stalking her on facebook, wanted to be friends with her because they felt like they got to know her on the cruise. Most of the time she didn't even remember them. You might think that you become friends with the staff but you don't.

My friend is not a bad person, she loved the job and she loved making sure the guests felt special. But what people forget is that this was her job.

The guests that she remembers are the ones that gave her a huge cash tip :-D

Why not do both? Then, there is no argument. ;)

Aren't you the diplomat. Thinking of running for Congress? However, you might be disqualified since you listen to all sides and try to compromise.

Just throw in some waffles on top of all that, an everyone will be happy! :p

I am sure many would appreciate and use a IPad, lap top, or the lastest generation of a smart phone.

Other than that I am sure anything is appreciated but how useful would it be other than the initial thought and would soon end up being like yesterday's news, in the trash.

💰CASH plus a note of thanks.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Always cash for me.

Reminds of some posts from many years ago where someone was going to leave the blender she had brought onboard as a "gift" to her steward in lieu of a gratuity. :rolleyes:

Forget about the practicality of that lovely present. You have to remember that the crew has such small cabin space. I am not aware that they have a storage locker onboard for all the trinkets they amass from guests. :eek:

You have to remember that the crew has such small cabin space. I am not aware that they have a storage locker onboard for all the trinkets they amass from guests. :eek:

If anyone is STILL thinking "but it's just a ball cap (or any other small thingy etc. so it will barely take up any room"), consider this:

Suppose just ONE person per cruise thinks the same way. The average contract is something like 8 months. That's 32 week-long cruises, which means 32 little trinkets that "will barely take up any room." Except that they WILL take up a LOT of room because now there are 32 of them. ;)

.... I am sure anything is appreciated but how useful would it be other than the initial thought and would soon end up being like yesterday's news, in the trash.

I rather doubt that "anything" would be appreciated. Certainly, they will ACT as if they are pleased. They are trained to provide service with a smile, and turning down or looking at your "gift" with disdain would not be in their better interests. It is foolish to believe that whatever is given will be appreciated. Would you appreciate a t-shirt promoting your boss' favorite vacation spot in lieu of your annual bonus, or would you prefer cash? Or how about a box of two week old cookies instead? Or leftover, unwanted items from his vacation? Or makeup, as one woman on another thread gives?

"Anything" would certainly not be appreciated! :eek:

Edited by boogs

I rather doubt that "anything" would be appreciated. Certainly, they will ACT as if they are pleased. They are trained to provide service with a smile, and turning down or looking at your "gift" with disdain would not be in their better interests. It is foolish to believe that whatever is given will be appreciated. Would you appreciate a t-shirt promoting your boss' favorite vacation spot in lieu of your annual bonus, or would you prefer cash? Or how about a box of two week old cookies instead? Or leftover, unwanted items from his vacation? Or makeup, as one woman on another thread gives?

"Anything" would certainly not be appreciated! :eek:

Great post. I've had some tell me the "cute" crap gets thrown out (Bipon, you out there?). I find it hard to believe that a typical "American" has any clue what a typical employee wants. Only the naive would think otherwise. When we take a cruise, we are not friends but guests. Give the universal gift of love, CASH.

I read this tip on this forum a few years ago : use $2.00 bills for tipping. It seems to be very well received, often the receiver's face really lights up and says $2.00 bills 'are lucky'. It somehow seems like they're getting a tip and a gift. We now use $2 bills for all tipping opportunities cruising or not.

I have read on the Princess board where passengers have given chocolates. I find this redundant given the fact that the room steward places chocolate on the pillow at turn down. Maybe these generous people collect the chocolate all week and regift it back.

If you must be creative here is my suggestion

9enypeha.jpg

evu6anas.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read this tip on this forum a few years ago : use $2.00 bills for tipping. It seems to be very well received, often the receiver's face really lights up and says $2.00 bills 'are lucky'. It somehow seems like they're getting a tip and a gift. We now use $2 bills for all tipping opportunities cruising or not.

$2.00 bills are fine for tipping in the United States, but be aware that many foreign countries won't accept them as currency, same with torn or worn bills, because they don't think it is real or are out dated.

I'm not trying to start any fights, but I have read that some people give little things along with their cash tip for different things. One idea I think I remember is little chocolates. Any others that have been appreciated? How/when do you give them?

You did your best. ;)

$2.00 bills are fine for tipping in the United States, but be aware that many foreign countries won't accept them as currency, same with torn or worn bills, because they don't think it is real or are out dated.

They aren't even fine in the US! Cash registers have no compartments for them. Clerks often aren't sure what to do with them. They are a novelty, and should be treated as such. I would never consider giving a $2 bill as a tip to anyone. It will require more effort to exchange them for local currency.

It may be "fun" for you, but it won't be for them. And of course they will be "well received". The crew is trained to smile whenever in contact with passengers. It is in their better interests to act as if they are pleased. Otherwise, a complaint may be made about them, or a shunned passenger will not be as generous with their tips.

Don't be cutsie with your tips. Give them common bills in good shape. Nothing else. Giving novelty items as tips may be great fun for you, but giving a tip as a reward should not be for your benefit, but for the benefit of the person it is being given to. Keep it simple!

Edited by boogs

Giving the crew $2 bills is about as useful to them as giving them green pieces of paper and about as useful. I can't figure out why people devote so much effort to figuring out ways to do "cute" tipping. What is wrong with cute cash?

DON