Creative tipping ideas

sweetp09

Not logical since it seems I am the only person on this thread who takes gifts for the crew. Also, if they ask for something and I bring it for them, I seriously doubt if it would be a problem for them.

Some of the crew members I know buy things for their families and ship them home. I would assume they could also ship gifts home if they want to do that.

In order to understand why I do this, you would need to get to know the people involved instead of making blanket assumptions.

I didn't point the finger at anyone in particular or did I make any blanket assumptions, just voiced my opinion as to the potential problems that crew members have when they are gifted with t-shirts, hats, etc.

Not true, over the years I have heard many passengers say that they give t-shirts or hats from their home state, athletic teams, schools, etc., so I believe it is more than you that does this.

Yes, they could ship it home, but how much do you think it would cost to ship 80 t-shirts/hats home.

It is one's personal decision as to if they give items or cash and I'm not saying either is the correct way or the wrong way, just voicing my opinion on the subject and how gifts can impact the crew.

Edited by NLH Arizona

In the end each person does what THEY fell is appropriate. Cash is indeed kings and gifts are not a substitute.However, some staff are prohibited by company policy from accepting cash gifts. I have given gifts to two Captains. Both Captains have been very kind to my DW and I for many years. Both Captains have taken us to private dinners. They often sit with us in a lounge. In one case I found a small ( about an inch tall) Greek figure. I thought that this gift was appropriate. In the other case, mentioned in an earlier post, I had known the Captain long before he was Captain. He was very excited about his impending parenthood. The small son of the Chief Engineer was onboard and one evening the Captain, who bought some gifts for the child, stopped to chat with us and introduced the child as his "future son in law". We purchased a little something for his soon to be baby daughter. Just one more example: I discovered that a Concierge, who is just wonderful, donates a portion of their pay to MS and thought it appropriate to make a donation in her name.

Not every situation is identical. Not every person has the same relationships. Some people do become friends with some of the crew, some don't. We all have different experiences and filters.

Edited by Orator

We've always brought good wrapped chocolates & bring them to the Elite cocktail hour about midway through the cruise. The folks working on the ships don't have access to candy unless they buy it. We went into the Elite lounge first night this year (same ship as before) & four servers & 2 bartenders came up to our seats & called me the candy lady --a new server asked one what they meant & she said you'll see. Smiles all around. We also tip cash at the Elite cocktail hour (& many other places--it's not just candy). I have also given gifts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since I live in Florida and we have such great, fresh citrus here, I always bring a bag of oranges. Each day that I receive exceptional service, I leave an orange. My steward really loved them because each day I left one in the morning and each day I left one in the evening. He took them all!

Ditto with the bartenders. When I left an orange on the bar, it would always be taken very quickly.

MONEY!!! In your real world job, what would you prefer for your holiday bonus - a turkey, a gift card to Walmart, a phone card, or $200.

Why treat the cruise people any different?

Just realize that they are not your friends and will never be your friends. When you leave the ship, they have to deal with another couple that they will interact with for a week or so.

Treat them with respect. Don't make their jobs too hard by leaving your cabin messy. Give them a good write up (if warranted) when you leave, and give them money.

DON

Very well said! These threads pop up every few weeks like a bad cold. Crew members do not want bric-a-brac and other trinkets. They want and appreciate pictures of dead presidents!

Since I live in Florida and we have such great, fresh citrus here, I always bring a bag of oranges. Each day that I receive exceptional service, I leave an orange. My steward really loved them because each day I left one in the morning and each day I left one in the evening. He took them all!

Ditto with the bartenders. When I left an orange on the bar, it would always be taken very quickly.

Personally, I would never accept any food items from a stranger unless I ordered it from a menu. Who knows what is inside? Needles? Spoiled ingredients? Poison? Something I am allergic too? How do I know you didn't have Noro when you prepared or handled the item you are handing out and the virus has now contaminated the item? Just like I don't eat raw vegetables or drink the local water when in certain countries, I am just as cautious with food items offered by complete strangers. Simply not worth the risk. And it is relatively easy to tamper with an item even though it is wrapped, with no discernible sign that it has been tampered with.

Edited by fortinweb

Very well said! These threads pop up every few weeks like a bad cold. Crew members do not want bric-a-brac and other trinkets. They want and appreciate pictures of dead presidents!

Gifts to crews members is not a bad idea but CASH to them is more important.I do hope they also appreciate their services by offering cash.They left their families behind for months and come work 7 days a week is a very hard work.

Just gift with no cash to show your appreciation is not enough.

Its just my 2 CENTS.

Your comments are far from reality. These people are NOT strangers !! I have known some of them for many years,

You don't know me nor do you know the people I consider friends. You don't know their likes or dislikes.

Keep your personal comments to yourself.

The fact that I have been doing something that my friends like shouldn't bother you so much.

Friends? Talk about living in the land of denial. Deep down where the sun don't shine do you really think these people are your friends? Do you cruise 30 or 40 times a year following your "friends" schedule regardless of where on the planet their assigned vessel goes? Have you been invited to their house in a remote island in Indonesia when they are in between contracts? How many times have you had these "friends" over to your house for a BBQ?

Keep things in prospective. These people are employees of a company that hired them to provide a service to you, someone who paid for that service.

As is the case in most parts of the world and most certainly in the US, it is customary to render a cash tip to service employees. That doesn't mean: tee shirts, chocolates, oranges, magnets, cookies, or whatever else people think your "friends" will like. All these things do is assuage whatever class guilt you seem to carry and piss off the "friend"

Do your self a favor: leave the daily gratuity charge intact and if it makes you feel better leave a twenty in your cabin on your way out the last day and give them a glowing review on the survey.

Did I really read somewhere here that some disturbed person gives bartenders an orange for a tip?

Edited by Redman1947

I also gifted the Maitre d in the steakhouse a steak of the month certificate from Omaha Steaks. He was very grateful.

I'm certain that he would have appreciate it . From what I've experienced and others have reported the quality of the ribeye in Tuscan has gone way down. Understand that they changed suppliers. The Omaha Premium stakes are wonderful. Expensive, but wonderful. Hopefully they include the filet wrapped in twenties as a monthly selection.

Friends? Talk about living in the land of denial. Deep down where the sun don't shine do you really think these people are your friends? Do you cruise 30 or 40 times a head following your "friends" schedule regardless of where on the planet their assigned vessel goes? Have you been invited to their house when they are in between contracts? How many times have you had these "friends" over to your house for a BBQ?

Did I really read somewhere here that some disturbed person gives bartenders an orange for a tip?

Limes would have been appreciated last Winter.

Limes would have been appreciated last Winter.

LOL!!!

A bartender last cruise said that he was building a house back home. Maybe a bag of cement or a few bricks would make a nice tip add-on. :p:p

He could just mail it home airmail along with the caps and baby clothes.

Dragon_flying.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

I can't believe what I'm reading....Oranges and Steaks as gifts? This reminds me of when I was kid on Christmas and my Aunt gave me pajamas. I would have been happier with $5 in a card and she could have left out the card.

I can't believe what I'm reading....Oranges and Steaks as gifts? This reminds me of when I was kid on Christmas and my Aunt gave me pajamas. I would have been happier with $5 in a card and she could have left out the card.

Same with people that would give oranges, apple and those home made treats that they thought were so wonderful for Halloween. You know where all of that ended up.

Out family doesn't give cards for birthdays or etc anymore. Decided it was not only a waste of money but the time involved to buy it. As we all agreed, give me the extra cash that the card cost. 💰

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I agree Cash is king. We also enclose it in a personal thank you card. What else is VERY importatnt to the staff is to mention them BY NAME on the comment card. THat is how they get promotions and raises.

On our recent Summit cruise, we got no comment card in our email. checked spam and all that.

Our nanny was in a Concierge Class room and her email got no comment card either.

In the past it was a pleasure to write their names down.

I collect all the home made gifts that were given as extra good-feel tips from crew (Yes I tip them well for the privilege) and hand them out at Halloween to kids. :eek:

(If that wouldn't creep you out then seek $ 2.00 bill as a first step. ) :p

*LOL* Thank you for a good laugh this afternoon. :)

I appreciate this post so much I would like to send you a hand knitted tea cozy that my grandmother makes. They are very well known and highly treasured in our neck of the woods. She has sent them to world leaders and celebrities for years . And I would love for you to have one for the trouble you went to to make me laugh. Of course stapled to the cozy will be a crisp 2 dollar bill :)

Edited by babyher

LOL!!!

A bartender last cruise said that he was building a house back home. Maybe a bag of cement or a few bricks would make a nice tip add-on. :p:p

He could just mail it home airmail along with the caps and baby clothes.

Dragon_flying.jpg

*LMAO*

Ok for this last post , I am throwing in the tea pot and a box of tea :)

Looks like a certain "friend of the crew" is pouting and has decided to gather up his toys and stomp out of the sand box. I guess he no longer wants to play with the older kids. :D

Don't worry , I am sure the toys and the sand box will end up as a "token of appreciation " for some lucky crew member. :)

Maybe this might help dissuade all those gift givers and enable the rest of us to move on to more important topics like is it ok to wear a hat in the MDR?

Most cabin stewards work on six month contracts. Assume they work on a seven day cruise vessel and also assume they are responsible for ten cabins.

Comes to 240:

T-shirts

Oranges

Magnets @ 8oz equals what 120 pounds of magnets?

240 pounds of Cookies

240 pounds of Chocolates

Baby hats

240 Bricks@ 2 pounds each equals 480 pounds of bricks. Okay maybe nobody really gives bricks but someone does give oranges.

Tea bags

Baby, that's a lotta oranges

Edited by Redman1947

Most cabin stewards work on six month contracts. Assume they work on a seven day cruise vessel and also assume they are responsible for ten cabins.

I may stand corrected but I believe it's more like 15 cabins. :eek:

Yes I would imagine a $2 bill would be a hit. It's double the value of the $1 tips they are accustomed to getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet a 5 or a 10 or a 20 would be a much bigger hit.