Might need to do Princess for next cruise

Just looking at prices for 11/30 out of Texas Princess has mini-suite for 1079 out of Houstom and RCCL is looking for 2167 for junior suite for same week out of Gavelston??? We do have 3 RCCL for 2015/16 at decent prices 2 of them in GS and much cheaper .

Just looking at prices for 11/30 out of Texas Princess has mini-suite for 1079 out of Houstom and RCCL is looking for 2167 for junior suite for same week out of Gavelston??? We do have 3 RCCL for 2015/16 at decent prices 2 of them in GS and much cheaper .

Just so you know, a mini suite on Princess is like a D1 on RCI. Standard balconies on Princess don't have a couch so to get that bigger room with a couch, they call it a mini suite. And with the way they set up their rooms with the closet, the living area is small, so don't get fooled by square footage. A JS on RCI is much larger.

Trust me. The mini-suite on Princess is NOTHING like the Jr. Suite on RCI. RCI JS is much bigger and has a walk=in closet.

I prefer RCCL but disagree with this statement, true on the walk in closet, but it may at most be 50 sq ft bigger. I cannot see spending double the cost, since ships I think are about equal, I am sailing in a GS for about 600 less in April than what RCCL wants to charge me in the week after Thanksgiving. I will book Sandals or Princess and get the all you can drink and both will be much cheaper than RCCL at least for that week.

Hello -

While you may not get a lot of support on this RC forum, I greatly appreciate the information you and others are providing here. Whenever I find a great deal on Carnival I jump on it. I'm a strong believer in testing the market. I've never regretted any cruise. I see no reason to not pick the Princess Cruise at half the price. This is not a debate over the slight room differences

We have had a mini-suite on Princess, and it is a nice room. To me, it's roughly equivalent to a junior suite. Overall, I would recommend RCI if you're looking for more activities and a younger crowd. Princess definitely skews older.

(All of that being said, I LOVE the self-serve laundry rooms on Princess!)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Assuming the itineraries are comparable, I'd take the Princess minisuite, too. Yes, the JS is a nicer cabin, but the mini has plenty of room for 2 people, and the two lines are more alike than different, IMO.

If you do sail on Princess and every were in the military, there will be OBC for you too.

14 days or longer $250 per qualified passenger

7 - 13 days $100 per qualified passenger

6 days or less $50 per qualified passenger

Edited by geocruiser

I still don't agree that a Princess mini-suite is equivilent to a RCI JS, but I do agree Princess is a very similar cruise line to RCI. In fact, I think they're the 2 most similar lines I been on. When it comes to apples to apples pricing, a mini-suite should be compared to a D1 and if the mini-suite is still less expensive, then by all means try Princess. You'll probably enjoy it. I certainly did.

Assuming the itineraries are comparable, I'd take the Princess minisuite, too. Yes, the JS is a nicer cabin, but the mini has plenty of room for 2 people, and the two lines are more alike than different, IMO.

The difference in price would make Princess my choice. Jr Suites are a bit nicer but not worth that much difference in price.

If you do sail on Princess and every were in the military, there will be OBC for you too.

14 days or longer $250 per qualified passenger

7 - 13 days $100 per qualified passenger

6 days or less $50 per qualified passenger

thanks for info, I did serve even if it wasn't my idea ( was drafted in 1969) we are fimilar with Princess mini-suites and always liked them on Grand/Caribbean and Crown , ship in Houston in Emerald which is a sister ship

thanks for info, I did serve even if it wasn't my idea ( was drafted in 1969) we are fimilar with Princess mini-suites and always liked them on Grand/Caribbean and Crown , ship in Houston in Emerald which is a sister ship
If you hold CCL stock you also can get OBC as it combinable with all offers.

i have cruised on the Ruby Princess in a mini-suite.. we loved it & we were a group of 3 in the room, plenty of space.. we have had junior suites on Royal and have found it comparable, the same goes for carnival... We cruise with whomever we can get the best deal.. being a teacher I am limited as to when I can go, & those times are higher priced, so if I can get a great deal on a room, I will go for it, even if it is not my preferred cruise line.:D

Being you served, you can get the OBC. On their web site it tells you what form you will need. My DH gets it every time we sail.

I love Emerald Princess. Have been on her a couple of time. Love their food.

http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/#.U43nrZUU-po

Edited by geocruiser

Being you served, you can get the OBC. On their web site it tells you what form you will need. My DH gets it every time we sail.

I love Emerald Princess. Have been on her a couple of time. Love their food.

http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/#.U43nrZUU-po

THe military OBC is wonderful! We just found out about it about 3 weeks prior to sailing on Princess last summer. Fax the form and DD214 and they will apply the OBC. Also, if a shareholder of 100 shares of carnival same OBC and can receive both. Even if 2 in a cabin are military, can get double OBC, but not for shareholder - only one for that. I have cruised both lines, more the same than different and I would go with all the savings with Princess. plus the OBC. Can't beat that.

i have heard the food is better as well as more refined customer base.

You heard incorrectly, IME. The customer base is a little older, but I wouldn't say it's any more refined.:p And food is so subjective that it's hard to compare. I find that the food in Princess' MDR is a little better most of the time, but that could be in part because I'm sick to death of RCI's menus (it's a good problem to have). I find that the food in RCI's Windjammer is a good bit better almost all of the time. As for specialty restaurants, I prefer RCI's - I love Izumi and Giovanni's Table (although I also adore Sabatini's, so for me it's a tie in the Italian department). I'm not much of a steakhouse fan any more, but would pick Chops over Crown Grill.

And, although the JS is larger than the minsuite, I find the minisuite to be more comfortable than a D-1. I like having my sofa by the sliding door (some RCI D's do, but on Voyager/Freedom class I think the bed is by the sliding door), and the bathroom in the minisuite has a tub/shower combo instead of a stall (not a big deal for me, but it is for some). I also find that the closets on Princess are better for us to navigate around each other - although the JS walk-in is great, we can still only do one at a time in there. With the open closet in either a balcony or mini on Princess, it's easier for us to navigate around each other. All little things, but they add up eventually.:)

All I can say is a person can "nit pick" all they want about different ship lines and their prices. We just try to get a good price for what were getting and where we're going. I have cruised Carnival, Princess, RCCL, NCL and Holland, and in all of them, except NCL, I have something special about their ships. As for NCL (it may be different now) when we cruised, there was very little on the ship to do, or choose from, and this we did not like. If we want to do something, OK, if not, OK.