Lobster on your balcony?

b_cruise

has any one or am I allowed to order room service lobster formal night? I would like to have a nice dinner on balcony. Will room service bring lobster or can I go up to the dining room and order a couple plates to go?

has any one or am I allowed to order room service lobster formal night? I would like to have a nice dinner on balcony. Will room service bring lobster or can I go up to the dining room and order a couple plates to go?

As far as I know, you can only get room service menu items delivered, not the dining room menu items. I'm not sure how you would go about getting your meals and taking it back. I considered trying to on my last cruise, but didn't do it as my regular balcony (midship- on the Freedom) was too small- as was the table- to have dinner on anyway. We ended up ordering breakfast from room service and enjoyed eating on the balcony at sunrise.

I took a plate to go in the MDR once. My mom wasn't feeling well and ate in the room. It was on formal night, but she doesn't eat lobster. I don't remember what I ordered for her, but probably a pasta dish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Depends on the Maître 'D whether or not you'll be able to take food out of the MDR.

I've only asked for the cheese plate to go. Same ship, two weeks apart, different Maître 'D, different answer.

Wrong cruise line. :(

While other cruise lines do allow you to order several dinner entrees from an expanded room service menu, and some allow you to order from the full MDR menu, Carnival sticks to a fixed, more limited and budget minded, list of items.

As someone mentioned above, Princess offers the Ultimate Balcony Dining experience, oferring a full, course by course dinner on your specially set up dining table on your balcony, with your very own waiter. I've watched videos on YouTube and it looks awesome.

We also took advantage of the expanded room service menu on Holland America last year. They are one of the cruise lines that allow you to order from the MDR menu. While not a full, in-cabin dining experience like on Princess, we enjoyed dinner in our own stateroom as we watched the amazing Alaska scenery go by :).

Edited by Tapi

This has been discussed several times in the last few years. Basically the answer to your questions if NO. Sometimes the MDR will allow you to take a plate to someone that leaves the meal early or if your usual companion isn't in attendance. Not often. Same with desserts. Sometimes. This likely has to do with the lack of refrigeration and / or the ability to reheat food in stateroom. This opens Carnival up to accusations of food poisoning. Not to mention the additional clean up from a full course meal as opposed to room service snacks.

As part of room service? No. As far as picking it up from the DR? See the MD. He might accommodate.

And not that they serve lobster in the Lido restaurant, but you can always make your own plate and bring it back to your room. We do this for breakfast every morning.

This has been discussed several times in the last few years. Basically the answer to your questions if NO. Sometimes the MDR will allow you to take a plate to someone that leaves the meal early or if your usual companion isn't in attendance. Not often. Same with desserts. Sometimes. This likely has to do with the lack of refrigeration and / or the ability to reheat food in stateroom. This opens Carnival up to accusations of food poisoning. Not to mention the additional clean up from a full course meal as opposed to room service snacks.

This is what I was told on the Liberty 2 years ago when DD ordered dinner but it took too long and she had to run to Camp Carnival. We stayed to finish our meal but when DD's meal was delivered i asked if we could take it with us and she could eat it later and they said, NO - and it was obvious it was because of possible food poisoning.

Which is strange, you can go to the buffet and load up on the same food and bring it back to your room (and balcony) but you can't do it with the MDR food.

That was something my kids enjoyed about Regent.

All menu items could be sent to the rooms and the rooms had the space to eat a meal.

This weeks cruise on CCL is Not going to be that way. :rolleyes:

it is interesting that this seems to be different on each ship. We got food to go from our Your Time Dining wait staff on the Miracle last year. It was not elegant night but they didn't ask the MD. The head waiter of our group just told the guys to bring the food in to go plates and they did.

Even if the MDR would allow you to get a plate to go, it seems like it would be WAY MORE hassle than what its worth! Just have a lobster in the MDR, and eat another meal on your balcony.

Even if the MDR would allow you to get a plate to go, it seems like it would be WAY MORE hassle than what its worth! Just have a lobster in the MDR, and eat another meal on your balcony.

I agree, sounds like a lot of trouble.

it is interesting that this seems to be different on each ship. We got food to go from our Your Time Dining wait staff on the Miracle last year. It was not elegant night but they didn't ask the MD. The head waiter of our group just told the guys to bring the food in to go plates and they did.

Went on a cruise with our kids a few years ago and our son had to much to drink in Cozumel and stayed in cabin for dinner. Wanted to bring him a plate and they insisted it be done via room service even though it would wake him up for sleep. They insisted and once of us had to go back to the cabin after it was picked up by room service and wait there.

Last year on the Glory wife had a migraine and didnt come to dinner and they gave me a plate with cover.

Beats me why they would do this as we have taken all kinds of food back to the cabin from lido over the years with no problem.

All menu items could be sent to the rooms and the rooms had the space to eat a meal.

I think Regent is a league of it's own. If I was on one, I'd expect it too. I think I'd be bored though.

I'm guessing there's going to be a lot different on Carnival than Regent :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is usually a sign posted that food cannot be removed from the dining room.

Like all things, folks would be calling up the dining room and ordering takeout. Even sitting and waiting at the table, collecting items would disrupt service ..folks would be ordering appetizers, entrees and desserts ..and since they aren't eating, pulling the tips..

I have done the ultimate balcony dinner in princess and it was awesome

If you ever go on princess it is so worth it .

On carnival last year my hubby didn't feel well so I asked to take his dinner back for him. We had become super friendly with our wait staff and they packed it all up and let me take it to him. I think it's the luck of the draw with the wait staff

If you want to try it I would. Good luck!

Kathy

There is usually a sign posted that food cannot be removed from the dining room.

Like all things, folks would be calling up the dining room and ordering takeout. Even sitting and waiting at the table, collecting items would disrupt service ..folks would be ordering appetizers, entrees and desserts ..and since they aren't eating, pulling the tips..

20-25 cruises and dont think we have ever seen that sign.

On my last cruise, one of our tablemates asked for a plate of mac & cheese to take to her sick roommate. The waiter would not allow it. I guess it depends on who you ask.

Wonder if that was on the instructions of his boss the MD? I would have asked why and if he didnt have a reason like that would have remembered that when thinking if he was deserving of a tip in addition to the auto tip.