What is the most you've paid for a cruise?

25th wedding anniversary this year, so hubby an I doing Canadian Rockies / Alaskan cruise tour. Flying from the UK. Costing us around £8000 ($13,000) already booked Alaskan excursions and sorted out spending money. Probably looking at £10,000 all finished. So so excited. Think next year will be Blackpool lol

I live close to the Rockies in Calgary but am a home grown Geordie ;) if you have any questions I can help with feel free to PM me.

My splurge on RCI was a 7 niter oceanview cabin for $1230.00. :) My biggest splurge is my up and coming Princess cruise to Alaska with a ocean view cabin for 2138.00 for two.

Edited by caribsun

~$10,000 for a 10-night Alaska cruise on the Sky Princess in 1992(included airfare back then) for a cabin with two bunk beds and a porthole:eek:

We can do a GS almost anywhere RCL sails for less than that now:)

I Now - having said that, you might need to check back with me in a few years and ask the same question when I start to check off my bucket list... I might just be taking that $50K Icebreaker cruise that RIMMIT talked about earlier in this thread. Sounds like an experience of a lifetime!!

The irony is that expedition was the most stripped down cabin and ship. It was spartan at best. The Khlebnikov is not known for her creature comforts. It did have one treadmill, a ping pong table, and an indoor pool, that I am pretty sure was actually a ballast tank partially converted to a pool that only the Russian crew used.

The crossing of the drake passage is so bad they give you seatbelts to wear in bed, and everything is strapped down in the cabins. They wet the table cloths in the main dining room to keep the plates from sliding around. I never get sea sick, but there were times on this expedition I said I would rather be working bc the seas were so bad. It truly was the experience of a lifetime. Want to do South GA next.

This is a link to the book i made in 2008 of the endeavor.

http://www.blurb.com/b/647707-antarctic-expedition

Edited by rimmit

It's the one I'm sailing this weekend for our honeymoon. Haven Suite on the NCL Breakaway for $4,500 for both of us. But, my TA and NCL had a great perk sale going on when I booked, $365 OBC from the TA. And, free Ultimate Dining and Beverage Packages.

Although that's the most I've spent, I consider it a good deal.

25th Anniversary - 10 day cruise of French Polynesia on the Paul Gauguin (it was owned by Regent at the time). Upwards of the 10K mark and worth every penny. I never imagined there could be so many colors of blue in the water. I would say it spoiled me for cruising elsewhere, but it hasn't - even Carnival is still fun :p

Reading these posts, it seems to me cruise passengers in the US are getting much better prices than us in the UK. I'm paying £6600 sterling ( approx 11,000 US$) for my wife, me and 2 teenagers to go on the Indy in August. And for that we are only getting 2 inside cabins and no OBC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well to most of the posters here, this won't seem like much to spend, but it was around $2,000.00 almost a month ago on the FOTS, inner room for two people. Then we had to pay for flight, as well as transportation. This did not include what we spent on the ship, ports or islands during our 7 days cruise.

I have been on Carnival, Princess, NCL, Holland America and never paid that much for an inner room. With some of these ships we were upgraded to a window or balcony.

The ship was very nice, but there were still things on this ship, that I know would have been just as good on Carnival or Princess.

Our most expensive cruise (which we really couldn't afford) was when we found out Windstar was pulling out of Tahiti, so we paid about $6,600, including airfare from LA

Of course, now they are back, as well as the Paul Gaugan and Pacific Princess, and other ships, but, at the time, it seemed like a good idea

I still can't get over the person who booked a Loft Suite on the Oasis maiden cruise for $10k or $12k, and made the statement "Now I have to find a way to pay for it"

We always cruise reasonably, but we have friends that can only cruise at Christmas time and their cruise this year will be well over 11,000. That might not seem like a lot, but we are doing the exact same cruise during the off season for just over 3K including air fare !

The most we ever spent for just cruise fare, was $9k for a 17 day Panama Canal cruise on the Dawn Princess out of San Francisco. We had an awesome aft suite. It was a great cruise.

We have had a travel fund since we first were married and have never gone on a vacation that wasn't paid for before we left the house. Pretty sure the experience would not be nearly as enjoyable if I knew I couldn't afford the cruise.

Last couple of cruises have been $7k for cruise fare only...with the next one on the Allure in GS on Allure for 12 night TA. We'll still need airfare, but we are diligently saving now so we'll have plenty of time to save. The 14 day TA on the LOS in an OS in October 2013 was $6.3k for cruise fare, plus few days pre and airfare of course.

Dawn

It was quite an experience. We got to see the baby penguin chicks, at the parents feet like in march of the penguins. The Khlebnikov is an ice breaker vessel and can go through pack ice. It comes with 2 helicopters for the 80 people or so to use. The price is nothing compared to Quarks nuclear ice breaker the "100 years of victory" that goes to the north pole. I would love to go on that some day.

We did the artic circle out of Norway on National geographic, quite an experience and a bit pricey but worth it. we came within 100 miles of the north pole. It was called 'Land of the Ice Bears" cruise if you look at Lindblad you'll see it on National geographic's explorer. The Princess 111 day world cruise for Jan 2016 a balcony cabin which is running $35,000 PP then of course the on board expenses and excursions will easily push it up to seven figures, now that's serious money.

Edited by cruzsnooze

[quote name='russnob']Reading these posts, it seems to me cruise passengers in the US are getting much better prices than us in the UK. I'm paying £6600 sterling ( approx 11,000 US$) for my wife, me and 2 teenagers to go on the Indy in August. And for that we are only getting 2 inside cabins and no OBC.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. We see some of the great deals people post and the Aussie prices seem more expensive also. The competition for passengers is pretty fierce in the US, but also if you are in the right place at the right time and can get in just before a sale starts there can be some good pricing - and OBC! We are learning to search better.

We like to get a Balcony or Junior Suite and we tend to average about AUD$2500 to $3000 per week for the two of us (which would convert to about US$2200 to $2700 roughly). We find the price of airfares is just more than we are prepared to spend at the moment as we are limited in the amount of time we can be away. Also we would like to spend time there as well if we have paid for airfares, so we stick to Aussie cruises for now.

We have spent around the same amount for land trips, without great entertainment, and sometimes with much less satisfaction on the bed and food we have had. Cruising is great value in our opinion, and I don't think we have come close to our big splurge yet :D I can see Alaska or Mediterranean down the track being a big trip of many dollars :)