Dubrovnik Tour options?

Hi all,

Got a family of 6, 4 adults, and 2 kids (12 and 15). We want to do a tour when we land in Dubrovnik, i believe timings are 12pm to 8pm.

The cable car option looks nice, but we don't want to tour to be too overbearing either. Is it worth it to do a tour in Dubrovnik? I'm a fairly big Game of Thrones fan as well (only me, no one else) so I want to kind of experience the shooting sites (and ideas here)?

Let me know if any thoughts. As for pricing, not too expensive either.. 6 people = a lot of money if we keep taking expensive tours.

Edited by jubbing

Strongly suggest this port is a do it yourself port. The city is easily walkable, including the walls.

We loved the city, visited the Monastery, a couple of museums, walked the walls, etc. Also, there are places in the city that explained the damage done during the Yugoslav civil war.

In Dubrovnik the best activities for first timers are just walking through the old walled city, including a walk along the top of the walls and a ride on the cable car. It is very doable on your own and a formal tour isn't really needed unless you'd like a guide to explain the city as you walk along. The cable car is close to one or two of the city entrances, although not the main entrance. We've gone to the main entrance (using Celebrity shuttles) and at some point walked out to the cable car, done the ride, and back into town. But another option is to have a cab take you to the cable car top and take the ride down, walk to the Old City to explore and then take a cab back from there.

View from the cable car station of the old walled city (click for more photos):

IMG_3476-W-M.jpg

For lots of information search through Cruise Critics port of call forum for "other Mediterranean ports": http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

Edited by Lsimon

See the marina in the photo above. Your ship may have a boat shuttle there to return you to the ship. Check that on the Ports msg board.

I suggest a cab to the Old Town and a walking tour on your own. Old Town gets very crowded. A tour guide slows you down.

There's a church with interior in shades of purple marble. It was unique for me. The church was located at a large square.

Eve

Hi all,

Got a family of 6, 4 adults, and 2 kids (12 and 15). We want to do a tour when we land in Dubrovnik, i believe timings are 12pm to 8pm.

The cable car option looks nice, but we don't want to tour to be too overbearing either. Is it worth it to do a tour in Dubrovnik? I'm a fairly big Game of Thrones fan as well (only me, no one else) so I want to kind of experience the shooting sites (and ideas here)?

Let me know if any thoughts. As for pricing, not too expensive either.. 6 people = a lot of money if we keep taking expensive tours.

Walk around the town.Walk the wall for photo ops . Take cable car to peak for more photo ops Have lunch waterside. Enjoy

Carole

We spent a long weekend in Dubrovnik a few years ago , you could tell the cruise tour trips , they were the group of people looking very tired and bored .like a lot of ports you do not need to book a tour , do some research and wander round , Dubrovnik is lovely.

We also noticed last year people taking tours in Bergen , Norway.....why? You can walk round it in an hour lol

We joined another couple and jumped in a cab right off the ship. The cabbies will offer a brief tour for the price of the ride into town. They bring you to the top of where the cable car lets out and tell you all about the war. There is a great view of the old city and wall from the top. Be careful about time though. If the cabbie offers to take you different places they'll charge you for the extra time. We did decide to drive to a small waterside town and thought it was worth the side trip. The walk along the wall was nice, but very hot. Bring water. Also, when you go to buy tickets to climb the wall bypass the first station. There's a second ticket booth further down the alley with a much shorter line.

See the marina in the photo above. Your ship may have a boat shuttle there to return you to the ship. Check that on the Ports msg board.

I suggest a cab to the Old Town and a walking tour on your own. Old Town gets very crowded. A tour guide slows you down.

There's a church with interior in shades of purple marble. It was unique for me. The church was located at a large square.

Eve

No water shuttle service is available to the port. You may find a private owner which will charge an exorbitant amount of cash for the trip. I strongly suggest either the ship shuttle service or a taxi.

Hi all,

For your family it may be best to do walk the wall, ride the cable car to the top of Mt Srd and wander about the old part of town. Most private tours charge per person and it would be costly for your family. I doubt highly the kids are going to be interested in hearing about the history of the area. Try visiting the tourist bureau website, it is a great source for research.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/#.U5B9VPmSxyl

There are 2 major entrances to the city wall, neither of which is down an alley. The main entrance is located closest to the Pile gate entrance, the west side of town. The other is located at the opposite end of town, it is the Ploce entrance and is closest to the Ploce gate our eastern entrance.

I highly recommend entering at the Pile side, walk the sea side and go down at Ploce to return to the old part of town. Take bottled water, make sure you have sun hats and very good walking shoes or sandals. No shade up there and the sun beating down can make the trip difficult for some.

The wall is 2 kilometers long with a grand total of 1,080 steps. Entrance fee is 100 Croatian kuna per adult and I believe it is still 30 Kuna for kids. You can pay with credit card, NO foreign currency. Normally it takes about 1 hour to just walk the sea side, it is a one way trip beginning counter clockwise. Once up there is no place to go down until you reach the half way point at Ploce exit.

From Ploce exit it is an easy stroll to the cable car, which is outside the Ploce gate and up to the left after you exit the arch. Cable car also accepts credit cards and entrance fee is 100 Kuna per person, the age break for kids is 12 and under.

There is lots of information online for the Game of Thrones sites here, but many will not look the same as they are shown on the series. The production company added some towers and such to our natural sites.

Enjoy!

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Let me know if any thoughts. As for pricing, not too expensive either. 6 people = a lot of money if we keep taking expensive tours.

I just returned from this port. I highly recommend doing a kayaking tour with AKT kayaking. They took us to a bay, we kayaked, cliff jumped, swam and had lunch at a beach bar. Best tour ever, plus that will give you time to see the city also!

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from a cruise that stopped there. We had a great tour by Tom on Tours by Locals. It started as a Game of Thrones tour, but since not everyone was interested in that, we also had a great overall tour. Tom is a licensed guide, knows the history of the region, and lived there growing up. He arranged a private tour for the 6 of us, including some private transport and some walking. It was a very pleasant day in spite of the rain. Be prepared for crowds in the old city!

We just caught a taxi and did the wall and fort. No need for a tour. Check out my blog at

winenchocolate dot com

I did a detail write up on our day in Dubrovnik along with pictures. The best advise I have is get there as soon as it opens. Your pictures will be amazing.

Just wondering if there are lots of cruise ships, and tourists in town, will it be easy enough to get taxis to and from the ports ?

Thanks

Your ship arrives in Dubrovnik on 13 September, one of three arrivals. There are always many taxis waiting for passengers at the pier. You should have no problem getting a taxi to the old part of town.

Since you had mentioned being GoT fan, I returned to let you know about our experience.

We arrived in Dubrovnik on a rainy Sunday, and we're met by Tom, who I had found at Tours by Locals. We had pre-arranged a GoT Tour, and were thrilled to learn that Tom was both a GoT fan and knew his history and the area. We saw a number of places outside the city, then headed to the old city. We ended our day by sampling some local wine.

Only part of the family is into GoT, but we all enjoyed the tour!