Regal Princess Aft Pool

dedosr

I certainly plan to take advantage of the aft pool. I'm thrilled they put it there. On my Royal Princess cruise I enjoyed swimming laps at the Retreat pool. The aft pool on the Regal will be great for a relaxing soak while enjoying the view of the wake of the ship. I'll let you know how much I use it... but we have to wait until January. Sigh.

This lover of the Terrace Pool is very happy with the Regal aft pool. It's really about a place to gather around and then cool off. If they fill it to overflowing and make it a bit of a splash pool, I see many hours in my future sitting there listening or reading.

I think it was done just enough to say they added an aft pool. It sort of reminds me of the weird pool that is aft on the Coral Princess. I keep asking "what the heck were they thinking".

I agree about the lack of pools on these ships. Disappointing! I am one who only gets to swim/use a pool on cruises.

I agree. I would never take a cruse on the Royal/Regal in the Caribbean. I always believed that Princess did the whole pools and pool deck concept better than any other line. Why would they take something that was such a strength and turn it into a weakness? This and the tiny balcony concept are two ideas that lead me to believe that the people in the Princess marketing department either flunked Marketing 101 or that the marketing people were not enough involved in the ship design.

I'll be on the Royal Princess in a little over four weeks. I have no problem with these two ships doing a Baltic or British Isles itinerary. They just have no business being in the Caribbean or Mediterranean.

I agree. I would never take a cruse on the Royal/Regal in the Caribbean. I always believed that Princess did the whole pools and pool deck concept better than any other line. Why would they take something that was such a strength and turn it into a weakness? This and the tiny balcony concept are two ideas that lead me to believe that the people in the Princess marketing department either flunked Marketing 101 or that the marketing people were not enough involved in the ship design.

I'll be on the Royal Princess in a little over four weeks. I have no problem with these two ships doing a Baltic or British Isles itinerary. They just have no business being in the Caribbean or Mediterranean.

I also agree! I would never pick these ships in the Caribbean or Med. Too few pools and too small of pools. I wish Princess would go back to having a covered pool.

That may be your opinion, but the Royal was a pleasure to cruise in the Caribbean for us and many others. To each his own.:)

Edited by Mom33

That may be your opinion, but the Royal was a pleasure to cruise in the Caribbean for us and many others. To each his own.:)

Have to agree with you! Sailed the Royal when she first came out and must admit at first we were disappointed by the lack of some of our favorite things. We decided to focus on the positive new things and ended up enjoying the ship......so much so that we're booked on her again for October.

I'm not one for change but in this world change is inevitable and you have to change too......just my opinion;)

Great that you enjoyed your cruise on the Royal in the Caribbean, but I hope you understand that tiny balconies and downgraded pools are deal breakers for Caribbean cruises for so many of us when it comes to Caribbean and Med cruises. I'm pretty sure that's the reason why both the Royal and Regal are getting the cooler weather ports next year. Regal gets Baltic itinerary and Royal moves to British Isles. I think these ships are great for those itineraries, but also agree that they would have been better served for those itineraries if they had covered pools. The problem with that is that there are only two decent sized pools and they aren't going to cover 50% of their main pools. I think Princess got too cute when designing these ships and were more focused on driving up revenue once people got on the ship while not paying enough attention of what it takes to get people on these ships in the first place. I suspect that the next ships Princess builds will more closely resemble the Ruby than the Royal.

We enjoyed it in the Caribbean also and would do it again. In fact, we're doing the Regal this fall in the Caribbean.

We enjoyed it in the Caribbean also and would do it again. In fact, we're doing the Regal this fall in the Caribbean.

We are hoping we can get away by then to sail the Regal or the Royal. :)

Don't want to hijack this thread, but if any of you did your own thing on your Caribbean cruise and posted a thread about it, would you share the link? We are doing Eastern and Western for the first time and don't do snorkeling or lay on the beaches. Any suggestions of where to look for ideas would be welcomed.

We loved the Royal on the TA so much booked the Regal for the Caribbean.

Thanks.

Don't want to hijack this thread' date=' but if any of you did your own thing on your Caribbean cruise and posted a thread about it, would you share the link? We are doing Eastern and Western for the first time and don't do snorkeling or lay on the beaches. Any suggestions of where to look for ideas would be welcomed.

We loved the Royal on the TA so much booked the Regal for the Caribbean.

Thanks.[/quote']

For Princess Cays, Grand Turk, St. Thomas and Grand Cayman you can check out my blog for some ideas for doing things on your own. We used a ship's tour in Cozumel. Tags are on the right side.

http://www.pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com

I think Princess got too cute when designing these ships and were more focused on driving up revenue once people got on the ship while not paying enough attention of what it takes to get people on these ships in the first place.

Bingo.

While there's much about the Royal that's lovely, the enterprise does have an "exit through the gift shop" feel. (Some elevators literally did dump you at the gift shop.)

Eliminate a full promenade deck, and a deck's worth of obstructed OV cabins become higher-priced balconies. The Piazza decks become more inward-looking, with views to the outside monopolized by gift shops. A reduction in non-revenue-producing public spaces - bingo always has sufficient room, trivia rarely. Sanctuary takes up more real estate, and one of the pools surrounded by silly cabañas. (Does anyone ever rent those things?)

I'm a CCL shareholder, so it's fine if Princess turns a profit. But I suspect that those who loved the Royal in the Caribbean didn't prioritize finding room to soak in one of the sparse Jacuzzis. I, on the other hand, couldn't care less about shopping for Godiva chocolates.

Bingo.

While there's much about the Royal that's lovely, the enterprise does have an "exit through the gift shop" feel. (Some elevators literally did dump you at the gift shop.)

Eliminate a full promenade deck, and a deck's worth of obstructed OV cabins become higher-priced balconies. The Piazza decks become more inward-looking, with views to the outside monopolized by gift shops. A reduction in non-revenue-producing public spaces - bingo always has sufficient room, trivia rarely. Sanctuary takes up more real estate, and one of the pools surrounded by silly cabañas. (Does anyone ever rent those things?)

I'm a CCL shareholder, so it's fine if Princess turns a profit. But I suspect that those who loved the Royal in the Caribbean didn't prioritize finding room to soak in one of the sparse Jacuzzis. I, on the other hand, couldn't care less about shopping for Godiva chocolates.

On the contrary, we had no problem soaking in a hot tub.:D

Bingo.

The cruise line is in business to make money...your comments are no surprise.

. I think Princess got too cute when designing these ships and were more focused on driving up revenue once people got on the ship while not paying enough attention of what it takes to get people on these ships in the first place. I suspect that the next ships Princess builds will more closely resemble the Ruby than the Royal.

I agree 100%. I will never sail on Royal or Regal (unless on an unbeatable itinerary) as they lost what was important to me. I really hope they don't keep going down this path and return to their signature features

I agree 100%. I will never sail on Royal or Regal (unless on an unbeatable itinerary) as they lost what was important to me. I really hope they don't keep going down this path and return to their signature features

And I agree completely; there was nothing about Royal Princess that would make me want to sail her again.

Great that you enjoyed your cruise on the Royal in the Caribbean, but I hope you understand that tiny balconies and downgraded pools are deal breakers for Caribbean cruises for so many of us when it comes to Caribbean and Med cruises. I'm pretty sure that's the reason why both the Royal and Regal are getting the cooler weather ports next year. Regal gets Baltic itinerary and Royal moves to British Isles. I think these ships are great for those itineraries, but also agree that they would have been better served for those itineraries if they had covered pools. The problem with that is that there are only two decent sized pools and they aren't going to cover 50% of their main pools. I think Princess got too cute when designing these ships and were more focused on driving up revenue once people got on the ship while not paying enough attention of what it takes to get people on these ships in the first place. I suspect that the next ships Princess builds will more closely resemble the Ruby than the Royal.

10828987125_c9d28e5512_m.jpg

Perfectly stated.....:):):)

Bob

The cruise line is in business to make money...your comments are no surprise.

Indeed the cruise line is in business to do just that. The question is "When does the anything for a profit motive start to be counter-productive?" Which is to say, when does change for profit's sake start to alienate a core clientele that does have other choices, and does that matter?

Now, I can't pretend to be one of the Old-line Princess Veterans around here; I've just recently gone Elite. When I first cruised Princess, it seemed like a perfect match, and for many reasons, it still does. And yes, I get perks, and yes, Princess is the only line to regularly sail out of my hometown of San Francisco. And so yes, I have another four weeks of Princess cruising booked.

I'm pretty much a value shopper. So if other people want to pay exorbitant amounts for bottled water when going ashore, play low-payback Bingo, and otherwise subsidize my fare, more power to 'em.

But it does feel like Princess, despite its great loyalty program, is definitely going after a new market - younger first-time cruisers who, on the Royal, won't miss standing aft and looking at the wake or strolling all the way around the promenade deck because they've never done it. (And they'll be more likely to buy lots of photos and the Reflections DVD.)

On the other hand, how thrilled am I that I can stand on the Skywalk or watch a 5-minute dancing fountain show? Not very.

All other things being equal - which they aren't - if I wanted to sail a Royal-esque ship, I'd choose X's Solstice class.