Lido buffet

Mandy

We ate dinner in the Lido only once in all our cruises.

It's too noisy for me in the morning when I wake up slowly. We will have coffee in the cabin and breakfast either in the MDR or the cabin.

For lunch, it's usually the Lido and dinner in in the MDR. That's become our routine.

We ate dinner in the Lido only once in all our cruises.

It's too noisy for me in the morning when I wake up slowly. We will have coffee in the cabin and breakfast either in the MDR or the cabin.

For lunch, it's usually the Lido and dinner in in the MDR. That's become our routine.

Funny we sometimes eat in the lido for dinner because the MDR can be deafening.

We agree with many of the previous posters. You will find many of the same items served in the MDR also being served in the Lido. There are lots of appetizers to try, soups and salads. Lots of bread options so you can pick whatever type you prefer. There are usually 5-6 entrees and lots of desserts, although, HAL isn't know for its great desserts.

We also prefer the Lido over the MDR. We have found the hot food hot and the cold items cold in the Lido. We don't mind serving ourselves and get into a rhythm quite quickly. We also find the noise level to be considerably less in the Lido than in the MDR. There are lots of little corners where you can easily get away from the main diners.

The staff, for the most part, are fairly quick to clear your table for you and are very friendly.

What I don't like are the small water glasses and the fact that it feels like someone else will take your table the minute you leave it. I have to figure out a quick and easy way to show that the table is occupied.[/QUOTE]

EZPZ! Simply tip the back of your chair against the table! Works for me, every time! ;)

Just a note for the person with the walker…the Lido staff is always extremely helpful (remember the evenings are not as crowded as the lunches) with bringing you items, carrying plates, glasses, etc. If you've not had dinner in the Lido it's quite a different experience from the lunch/breakfast crowd. Yes, the hot food is hot, the cold is cold.

Any buffet reminds me of eating in a cafeteria. We'll opt for the MDR anytime.

The Lido IS a cafeteria. MDR service is one of the attractions of a cruise - and, since most of what is served in the Lido was cooked in the galley close to the MDR, there is more "steam table" effect to be experienced in the Lido.

The Lido IS a cafeteria. MDR service is one of the attractions of a cruise - and, since most of what is served in the Lido was cooked in the galley close to the MDR, there is more "steam table" effect to be experienced in the Lido.

We often find food in the lido at dinner considerably warmer/hotter (when it should be) than in the MDR.

This has been a very informative thread. We're "MDR people" when it comes to dinner, but there are a lot of pros to the Lido that I wouldn't have thought of.

Thanks for that.

For our last cruise this past April/May on the Zuiderdam, we ate in the Lido less than any cruise before. Since we were in a Neptune Suite, breakfast was always at the PG. We always had dinner in the MDR, with one night at the PG.

For lunches, we ate off the ship at every port. On sea days, mostly we'd order in something from room service. I think out of our 18 days on board, we had lunch in the Lido 2 times, both enjoying the Asian selections of the day. Part of our avoiding the Lido was by design, since our cruise was unfortunately in code red for about the last quarter of the cruise. We preferred to simply stay away from the Lido, despite all the precautions the hard working crew was taking.

We often find food in the lido at dinner considerably warmer/hotter (when it should be) than in the MDR.

makes sense - it is kept on heat until placed on your plate individually. Even with infrared lights [assumption on my part] in the MDR prep line - once food is plated, it start cooling off. Then wait until every plate at your table is ready - much more likely chance its going to cool off.

I hope to be testing these assumptions in 675 hours based out of my up-sell balcony room!!!! Yep - I'm a happy girl and adding bubbles to my packing list!

makes sense - it is kept on heat until placed on your plate individually. Even with infrared lights [assumption on my part] in the MDR prep line - once food is plated, it start cooling off. Then wait until every plate at your table is ready - much more likely chance its going to cool off.

I hope to be testing these assumptions in 675 hours based out of my up-sell balcony room!!!! Yep - I'm a happy girl and adding bubbles to my packing list!

Agree 100 percent with both of these comments. I have rarely had anything hot in the mdr. When i suggested this posters told me their food is always hot and that it is plated immediately before going to the table. I don't see how that could happen when you are feeding that many guests.

This has been a very informative thread. We're "MDR people" when it comes to dinner, but there are a lot of pros to the Lido that I wouldn't have thought of.

Thanks for that.

So are we -- main dining room or specialty restaurant.

Have never had dinner in the Lido. But who knows -- maybe on our next cruise we might try a dinner in the Lido -- just to see what it is like.

What type of items are available for dinner in the buffet? We will skip the dining room on occasion. On Princess, I was surprised the dinner buffet had many of the same options being served in the dining room.

First HAL cruise, on the Westerdam coming this fall.

On the Amsterdam it was pretty much the same thing as the lunch or day before.... they just gave it a new name :rolleyes:

On a longer cruise, the Lido staff will get to know you and your habits if you become a regular. They can see that you are not done, but getting another course and will gently clear the items that you won't need.

We have had too many inconsistencies in service in MDR, so our last two cruises on HAL (28 and 42 days) found us eating our evening meal in the Lido or Canaletto. It got to be like a restaurant where the staff knows you.

Jim

On the Amsterdam it was pretty much the same thing as the lunch or day before.... they just gave it a new name :rolleyes:

Are you saying that on the Amsterdam the menu served in the Lido for dinner is the same as the Lido lunch menu and not what is served that evening in the MDR?

Lido missed the boat that day

He left the shack

But that was all he missed

And he ain't comin back

Every once in a while, especially late on a Sunday night, you need a Box Scaggs reference.

Lido o-o-o-oh!

(The song is from 1975's "Silk Degrees" album. Albums were big, flat spinning things that stored music before there were iPods. They could go a really long time between charges.)

Edited by POA1

My DD, who doesn't much like dressing up for formal nights has told me she has had no trouble getting her favourite - 2 lobster tails - on surf and turf night in the Lido. I don't know that that happens every time, but it has happened on occasion. I think it is a good idea to get to dinner in the Lido in good time; they do run out of things.

Every once in a while, especially late on a Sunday night, you need a Box Scaggs reference.

Lido o-o-o-oh!

(The song is from 1975's "Silk Degrees" album. Albums were big, flat spinning things that stored music before there were iPods. They could go a really long time between charges.)

Ha ha ha - love it!

Are you saying that on the Amsterdam the menu served in the Lido for dinner is the same as the Lido lunch menu and not what is served that evening in the MDR?

Most of what was served for dinner in the MDR was served in Lido except no chilled soups same desserts or steaks. I did observe items at lunch being served at dinner just with a new name. Lunch was the exact same two days in a row. Also no trays so you are handed hot plates. As the week went on many people commented the bread got harder. We laughed that you needed strong teeth to eat the cookies. Hopefully it was the ship and not all of Hal ships that suck on food choices.

I went to tea twice and you were allowed 2 small finget sandwiches. If you came in 20 minutes late they gave none.

My DD, who doesn't much like dressing up for formal nights has told me she has had no trouble getting her favourite - 2 lobster tails - on surf and turf night in the Lido. I don't know that that happens every time, but it has happened on occasion. I think it is a good idea to get to dinner in the Lido in good time; they do run out of things.

On our most recent Zuiderdam cruise, I specifically walked through the Lido before going to the MDR on lobster night because I was curious about the offerings. I did not see any lobster in the Lido. Also, the pre-plated appetizers were more limited than in the MDR.

Agree with your suggestion of having dinner early. They stop serving in the Lido at a ridiculously early hour (8pm), and some have commented that they don't replenish all the dishes right up to the end.

Hi !

As I suggest you in a previous post, just ask a room service for the dinner on your balcony. And I also recommended you to ask the waiters to «built» a romantic table with the glasswares, the right silver ustensils, a white tablecloth, a candelabra, etc...

The outstanding Holland America Service, as I remember, and I received will provide you these things, IMHO.

Good Luck !

Smooth sailings !

Holacanada on the Veendam in less than a month... :)