Clothes that shriek TOURIST!

ekkc10753

I walk quickly, carry my camera in my purse, and don't pull out a map in a visible public area -- these are cues to pickpocketers.

I also learn a few words of the local language and try to dress appropriately for the location.

I do not take ship tours very often or even private tours if I can use public transportation to get around.

.....you might be surprised how often I have been mistaken for a local. Or, if not a local, at least as someone who is a temporary resident.

ekkc10753, I have also had similar experiences at dinner, particularly in Italy. As I am often traveling alone -- and Italians regard eating alone as an invitation to strike up a conversation -- I have enjoyed some interesting conversations with locals who started out assuming I was (or could speak) Italian.

I agree. I dress conservatively, or at least appropriate for the setting. I try to blend in. Every time I'm in London someone asks me for directions. (And I can usually give them). But in some place like Istanbul, for example, I stand out no matter what I do. However, I'm not going to walk around Istanbul in shorts and a God Bless America t-shirt. You can be a tourist or you can be an ugly American (or whatever). There's a big difference.

There are places in this world where it can be safer to be a Canadian than an American. Sad to say.

Have been in a few of those situations in Europe. Not always a true issue of safety, but just to avoid conflict. Many large cities have had anti-American public protests to our "wars" in the Middle East. In these cases, if asked, it's just easier to say you live in Canada to avoid confrontation. I don't want to waste time discussing politics when I am on vacation.

We do not understand it either. As a practice, we do not bother with pins, luggage tags, tshirts, whatever that indicate our nationality. I think it looks a bit cheesy actually. Besides, what difference can it possibly make.

Edited by iancal

I walk quickly, carry my camera in my purse, and don't pull out a map in a visible public area -- these are cues to pickpocketers.

I also learn a few words of the local language and try to dress appropriately for the location.

I do not take ship tours very often or even private tours if I can use public transportation to get around.

.....you might be surprised how often I have been mistaken for a local. Or, if not a local, at least as someone who is a temporary resident.

ekkc10753, I have also had similar experiences at dinner, particularly in Italy. As I am often traveling alone -- and Italians regard eating alone as an invitation to strike up a conversation -- I have enjoyed some interesting conversations with locals who started out assuming I was (or could speak) Italian.

Don't need a map or a camera, just use my phone.

I respect the local customs regarding attire. (modesty)

Its fun to be a tourist, but I almost never take a tour.

I speak quietly and learn a few word, if possible for me to pronounce :-)

I would never deny that I am an American but I don't go around proclaiming it either.

Good points! Don't forget the sandals with dark socks! European all the way ;)

You are so right!

I many parts of the country (and world), I've noticed that male tourists tend to wear cargo shorts to hold all of their travel gear. I know that I do. But here in SoCal, locals wear them also. It is the footwear and t-shirt logos that often give them away as tourists. Shorts with sandals and dark socks are a dead giveaway! Local guys tend to wear flip-flops or running shoes with low-cut socks.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I was there for 10 days while my husband worked. I went around by myself, and time and time again I was taken for a local. People started speaking to me in Finnish. At night at dinner, waiters would turn to me to speak in Finnish. I think they thought my husband was an American married to a Finn. I loved it. I am mainly of Irish-Scandinavian descent, and dressed pretty conservatively. Maybe that was it. I've also been taken for a local in London. Somehow, "passing" for a local when I'm a tourist is thrilling to me. I can spot the Germans in California and elsewhere because their footwear is always different. Like scientifically-designed sandals. Well thought out for hiking and walking.

We live in the UK, on the outskirts of the small Village of Haworth, famous for where the Bronte Sisters lived and wrote all of their famous books.

The Village has a park, local hikes, pubs, cafés and restaurants that locals and tourists use alike.

We often walk in for drink or an afternoon stroll and I can tell immediately who are visitors.

Ok we get many Japenese and Americans so we can tell by accent and look, but most visitors are White British, but you can "just" tell the visitor.

To be honest I am not sure how, because as we walk up and down the cobbled Main Street we are acting in the style of a visitor, not rushing, as we are retired not dressed for work, etc etc.

Also because of our weather locals and visitors will often dress alike.

Funny isn't it........

And no We don't wear the Carribian shirts at home, only in the Carribian.....:-)

Edited by 1160451

We live in the UK, on the outskirts of the small Village of Haworth, famous for where the Bronte Sisters lived and wrote all of their famous books.

The Village has a park, local hikes, pubs, cafés and restaurants that locals and tourists use alike.

We often walk in for drink or an afternoon stroll and I can tell immediately who are visitors.

Ok we get many Japenese and Americans so we can tell by accent and look, but most visitors are White British, but you can "just" tell the visitor.

To be honest I am not sure how, because as we walk up and down the cobbled Main Street we are acting in the style of a visitor, not rushing, as we are retired not dressed for work, etc etc.

Also because of our weather locals and visitors will often dress alike.

Funny isn't it........

And no We don't wear the Carribian shirts at home, only in the Carribian.....:-)

As it us a small northern village, could it be the inhabitants are your relatives, therefore easily recognised?

We do not understand it either. As a practice, we do not bother with pins, luggage tags, tshirts, whatever that indicate our nationality. I think it looks a bit cheesy actually. Besides, what difference can it possibly make.

It obviously makes a difference to some. We don't wear pins or anything either. BUT, we have seen several people who were American wearing Canadian pins, even a Canadian flag t shirt. Of course the minute they spoke you knew they weren't Canadian. When I asked them why (we were walking together) - I was told that Canadians were better liked and they thought they would get a better reception.

Just reporting what we were told. :D

LOVE this:D

Good one! And on a marvelous private tour arranged by a member of CC roll call, our group was recognized as visitors at a local religious festival in Sicily. The servers would not accept our euros for the very nice meal as we were their guests! So touching and I will never forget that little village.

Thank you for that link..... I've saved it for future reference when travelling to new countries. Always good to know local expectations of visitors.

Thanks from me too. A very valuable link for women travellers.

As it us a small northern village, could it be the inhabitants are your relatives, therefore easily recognised?

As everybody is called Ogden in the Village it's very hard to distinguish relatives, although the clogs and whippets are a give away.....:-)

I think Roysten Vasey was based on the Village

We live in a popular American resort town in California and it is easy to spot the American tourists - they are much fatter. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I live near Seattle and the joke around here is that you can always tell the tourists from the locals because they are the only ones that use umbrellas.

White sneakers just scream "American" if you ask me! :rolleyes: My son has traveled to many more countries than we have and he says he can always spot the Americans by their shoes. :)

...and they are not just white, they are brand new, never been worn before, blinding white!:eek: I know because DH insists on getting a new pair every time we travel!;)

Good one! And on a marvelous private tour arranged by a member of CC roll call, our group was recognized as visitors at a local religious festival in Sicily. The servers would not accept our euros for the very nice meal as we were their guests! So touching and I will never forget that little village.

We had a similar experience at a festival in a very small town on the island of Rhodes. It was also a private tour arranged by a CC roll call member. That small village and their "orange festival" and their kindness remains one of my fondest travel memories.

As everybody is called Ogden in the Village it's very hard to distinguish relatives, although the clogs and whippets are a give away.....:-)

I think Roysten Vasey was based on the Village

Did you meet Stan and Hilda:D:D:D:D

Why would anyone want to make out they are Canadian if they are American?

This has been going on for years. Backpackers often have Canadian badges on their rucksacks, they feel safer when travelling. There are many places in the world where the American govt is disliked and blamed for all their ills.

They were from the Lancashire side of the Family, we only met them when the Yorkshire border was opened....... :)

You must change your location in your profile to 'Oop North'.:D

My family has roots in Yorkshire - from a dale where where the commonest surname is Hutchinson.

I'm sure there are many other examples in 'God's Own County' (I was born Yorkshire so I have a strong emotional attachment to the place - even though I came down South at a year old.)

Edited by SteveH2508

...and they are not just white, they are brand new, never been worn before, blinding white!:eek: I know because DH insists on getting a new pair every time we travel!;)

Can we have a link to these WHITE sneakers. Or a photo.

Don't think you can buy them over here :)

DW says Yes, maxi skirts and dresses are being worn in Europe (we are currently on an extended driving trip around France and Switzerland). On the other hand, if you really want to blend in just wear jeans :). But to truly blend in you must learn the languages, wear the right shoes, walk like a European, etc. After over forty years of extensive travel we do not try to be what we are not, but rather be comfortable with ourselves. It is almost humorous to see Americans and others trying to "blend in" when they are always running around as part of larger tour groups. Last night we dined out in Chamonix, France and our waiter actually mentioned that it was nice to see some Americans not traveling as part of a tour group. We chatted with him and his own observation was that both Americans and Japanese get so caught up in their groups that they do not discover the real soul of Europe. I should mention that Chamonix is a wonderful Alps town quite frequented by Brits but largely ignored by Americans.

Hank

Chamonix is lovely. My husband and I spent several days in Annecy and spent the day in Chamonix , wonderful place.

It is interesting. I am an expat , born in Iowa , raised in California and have lived over hallf my life in Brazil. I love to travel and travel quite a bit ( cruises and land trips). It is quite hard for people to tell where I am from...people always tell me I speak English quite well. That makes me chuckle. I think after transiting back and forth so much , I kind of blend in.

I think clothes do say a lot , but posture and and the way you speak , gesture and move are very revealing as well. Although I have lived in Brazil for over 20 years , as soon as I open my mouth , every knows I am foreign. Never have lost my accent. I just pack clothes I like when I travel. Feeling good about yourself helps enhance the travel experience.

In New York, I usually can spot tourists by the large camera around their neck.

:) And they are looking around wide eyed , mouth open saying things like "Look Al , That's the theater David Lettermen does his show " or "There's the building King Kong climbed."

And they think those watches the guys sell on the streets out of attaché cases are real Rolex's *LOL*