Holland

xnavydoc2

My Lovely Wife Opal has always wanted to go to Holland to "See the Tulips in Bloom". I would like to surprise Her with a Cruise for our 10th anniversary. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? We would be going next year.

Thanks

My Lovely Wife Opal has always wanted to go to Holland to "See the Tulips in Bloom". I would like to surprise Her with a Cruise for our 10th anniversary. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? We would be going next year.

Thanks

You need to be in Holland during the proper season which is usually around the end of March into mid April (it does vary). The place to go is called Keukenhof Gardens (you can Google the place) which can be a day trip from Amsterdam. When we wanted to see the Tulips we simply flew into Amsterdam in early April, spend a few days, and then took a wonderful 14 day River cruise to Budapest. If you can find a repositioning cruise that would get you to Holland that time of the year, it is also an option. But the Tulip season is best enjoyed by spending time on land. We saw lots of Tulips by simply driving our rental car around Holland...especially in the area of Haarlem. But Keukenhof is such a special place for Tulip lovers that folks plan trips to Holland (from all over the world) just so they can spend a day at those amazing gardens.

Hank

You need to be in Holland during the proper season which is usually around the end of March into mid April (it does vary). The place to go is called Keukenhof Gardens (you can Google the place) which can be a day trip from Amsterdam. When we wanted to see the Tulips we simply flew into Amsterdam in early April, spend a few days, and then took a wonderful 14 day River cruise to Budapest. If you can find a repositioning cruise that would get you to Holland that time of the year, it is also an option. But the Tulip season is best enjoyed by spending time on land. We saw lots of Tulips by simply driving our rental car around Holland...especially in the area of Haarlem. But Keukenhof is such a special place for Tulip lovers that folks plan trips to Holland (from all over the world) just so they can spend a day at those amazing gardens.

Hank

Good point. Thanks Hank.

Fred Olsen has cruises from the UK to Amsterdam in April and May next year, as does Cruise and Maritime and Cunard. Aida, Costa and MSC cover this region on cruises in spring, too.

Check out the various river cruise lines, Vantage, Grand Cirlce, Viking, AMA, Avalon and probably others. Choose a late March/April sailing to/from Amsterdam that includes a stop at Keukenhof gardens. We went a couple of yrs ago. It was absolutely spectacular! If you google Keukenhof gardens you can check out the photos, info, etc.