where do you stay pre cruise Port Canaveral and why?

jjdmom8

Actually, it's not in port Canaveral but last time I cruised out of there, I stayed at the airport LaQuinta right at MCO. Great price, location, wonderful staff and good, easy access to shuttle ride to the cruise terminal. I would probably do that again sometime the next time I cruise out of Canaveral. It does save a little money and eliminated the need for us to have to rent a car to drive from MCO to Cape Canaveral.

It does save a little money and eliminated the need for us to have to rent a car to drive from MCO to Cape Canaveral.

So how did you get to the port?

easy access to shuttle ride to the cruise terminal

at what cost?

not arguing ... people consistently say rent a car is cheaper .... what are your numbers?

I'm curious about this as well. We have the Ron Jon resort booked for Sept, but I have not heard anyone mention it. I'm also trying to decide if a shuttle or limo service would be easier than renting a vehicle.

It does save a little money and eliminated the need for us to have to rent a car to drive from MCO to Cape Canaveral.

So how did you get to the port?

easy access to shuttle ride to the cruise terminal

at what cost?

not arguing ... people consistently say rent a car is cheaper .... what are your numbers? Today 05:03 PM

Staying at the LaQuinta itself cost about half of what the room at the Radisson would cost. I got a great internet/special promotional rate that I qualified for and the shuttle ride was quick and free to the LaQuinta from MCO. The shuttle to the port was if I am not mistaken, like $20 per person each way from the hotel to the port, so 80 total. Renting a car for a week would cost into the hundreds, not including tolls and gas and the parking rate that is included in the cost of the Radisson stay. I would say we saved quite a bit of money, not to mention there are some decent restaurants in the near vicinity of the hotel we stayed at in Orlando also, and the best I saw in Port Canaveral was a few chain restaurants, McDonalds, and a decent pizzeria or two on A1A. Now, if you have a bunch of people in the group maybe renting a car will just make sense but then getting multiple rooms or a very large suite at the Radisson will be costly as well so I still think the MCO hotel stay option is more convenient and cheaper. We got the shuttle from the hotel on cruise day and the shuttle dropped us back at MCO on debark day for the trip home. But that is just my opinion. Not everybody will be interested in this option.

South Jersey, I don't know when you last stayed at the Radisson, but I was there in February and found it was not that nice. The rooms were on outdoor corridors, they were dark, musty smelling and not that clean. The carpets were old and stickey. I was not impressed. The shuttle service was excellent however!

I'm from Hackettstown in NW NJ, how about you?

We stayed at Comfort Suites and were pleased. It is not luxury, but the room was clean and breakfast good. Parking for the week was included and we parked right up at the hotel. Shuttle was efficient both ways. Excellent price. Enjoyed the extra room of the 2 room suite.

Wished we had stayed extra days. Will stay there again when in area.

We just booked the Residence Inn..anyone have experience staying there?

It's a good choice. I have stayed there twice, it's a nice clean property and it is the top rated Residence Inn in the country according to Marriott Hotels. It's close to the port and it's a quick taxi ride or drive over to the cove area where there are multiple restaurants.

Edited by Eng23

South Jersey, I don't know when you last stayed at the Radisson, but I was there in February and found it was not that nice. The rooms were on outdoor corridors, they were dark, musty smelling and not that clean. The carpets were old and stickey. I was not impressed. The shuttle service was excellent however!

I thought you were talking to me, but were talking to the OP. No problems, Its good information to have. We'll be staying at the Country Inn and Suites Orlando Airport for one night, which is close to family members, who will also be going on the cruise. We're using Cocoa Beach Shuttle to pick everyone up at the hotel, and to drop them off at the airport on the return.

I'm from Camden county, like 30 minutes or so from Philadelphia but I'm familiar with the NW NJ Area, Hackettstown is probably like 2 hours drive or so.

Maybe the Radisson has different management or something now but it was always pretty nice and reasonably priced when I have stayed there. The pizza place next door is pretty good although expensive. But it's only a couple minutes ride on the shuttle from the port and if you have a car, a fsw minutes down A1A to a few eateries and a grocery store with a wine section. I do have to say the ants are bad out by the pool and hot tub though. That is one of the more annoying parts of staying there or anywhere in Florida really.

Edited by FlyingCruiserNJ

I'm from Camden county, like 30 minutes or so from Philadelphia but I'm familiar with the NW NJ Area, Hackettstown is probably like 2 hours drive or so.

Maybe the Radisson has different management or something now but it was always pretty nice and reasonably priced when I have stayed there. The pizza place next door is pretty good although expensive. But it's only a couple minutes ride on the shuttle from the port and if you have a car, a fsw minutes down A1A to a few eateries and a grocery store with a wine section. I do have to say the ants are bad out by the pool and hot tub though. That is one of the more annoying parts of staying there or anywhere in Florida really.

I know Camden Co! There's no pizza like Jersey Pizza!!!

On another board someone said to ask for a renovated room. Maybe that would make a difference.

Since there will be 5 of us on this cruise, I'm going to give the 2 bedroom suite at Residence Inn a try.

Cheryl

Flyin J

most folks do two one way one day rentals for their cars .... cost difference there

If all you saw was Mcy D and pizza around the port/A1A area you need to either explore or read more on these boards cuz you missed out big time

for others:

portcanav.jpg

Fishlips

http://fishlipswaterfront.com/

Rusty's Seafood and Oyster Bar

http://www.rustysseafood.com/

Grills Seafood (Grills/Rustys/Fishlips .. the portside trilogy ... I prefer Grills)

http://www.grillsseafood.com/newly-r...ort-canaveral/

The seafood restaraunts portside are fabulous! We always sit outside & wave the cruise ship(s) off as they pass. During a walk on the Jetty Park pier at sunset, we've seen dolphins in the moonlight on either side. Also watch for dolphins & manatees at sailaway.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Embassy Suites on 17th - clean, suite, happy hour, next to Publix, close to restaurants. Don't know about parking, sorry.

Hi,:) I think the original poster is asking about Port Canaveral, not

Port Everglades;)

Oh, you caught yourself on the next post...sorry too...:).........

But you are correct...17th Street in FLL is awesome:) Lots of restaurants, shops

and hotels!

Edited by Lois R

We have always stayed at the Comfort Inn (3 separate stays) but on our last stay there in early April we woke up to ants all over the table and the nightstand.

Needless to say we will definitely be staying at a different hotel on our next cruise out of Port Canaveral

We stayed at the Radisson both times prior out of Port Canaveral. Good experience both times, love the pool area. It has been a few years so no recent experience. This Sept we are with a big group of folks so we are staying at Wakulla Suites in Cocoa Beach. 2 bedroom suite with kitchen for $100 (AAA rate). No parking or shuttle so we are using Park Port Canaveral (same area as the Radisson) With splitting hotel ended up less than paying for single room with parking package

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Flyin J

most folks do two one way one day rentals for their cars .... cost difference there

If all you saw was Mcy D and pizza around the port/A1A area you need to either explore or read more on these boards cuz you missed out big time

for others:

portcanav.jpg

Fishlips

http://fishlipswaterfront.com/

Rusty's Seafood and Oyster Bar

http://www.rustysseafood.com/

Grills Seafood (Grills/Rustys/Fishlips .. the portside trilogy ... I prefer Grills)

http://www.grillsseafood.com/newly-r...ort-canaveral/

Well I knew the waterfront restaurants existed as you see them from the ship when sailing away from the port and they do look like fun but that's still a mile from the resort. To me that's not walking distance, especially when walking along a main road. Within walking distance there is only the pizza place, Zachary's (which I have never gone to) and McDonald's. Of course if you drive south from the hotel, there are a few other things but again that would require driving to. I still like the Radisson and there is a decent restaurant right there at the hotel if one doesn't mind spending a little extra $.

SJU cruiser, ive stayed at that Country Inn and it was very nice!

Thanks for the information. I was trying to decide between there, Wingate, LaQuinta, Comfort Inn and Hampton. I passed by the locations on the way to and from the airport to my family house north of the city. The area is pretty decent with plenty of restaurants and stores with a few minutes. I'm not sure if I'll rent a car for the day since I'll be arriving before noon, and the others in the early evening. Last Minute Travel had a great rate with breakfast included which is half the price of the hotels in Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral Area. Cocoa Beach Shuttle is $30.00pp roundtrip, so I thinks it a better deal than staying near the port, and our family members will be having someone drop them off, and we'll be catching the shuttle together from the hotel, so they save on parking for 7 days.

When we stayed there in 2009, the hotel shuttle actually took us over to a restaurant nearby for dinner and then picked us up afterwards. You are right that it is cheaper than the port. I'm driving down though, so I am going to park and stay by the port.

Cherl

We just booked the Residence Inn..anyone have experience staying there?

Keep in mind if you are driving and planning on parking at the port (not parking your car at the hotel for the duration of your cruise), you will still have to pay $6 for parking for the one night of your hotel stay. Residence Inn Cocoa Beach instituted this fee back in February of this year.

We're planning a family cruise on RCCL Freedom from Port Canaveral next summer. Will be first time on RCCL and from PC. Like what we read about Country Inn and Cocoa Beach shuttle.

We've only cruised Princess before. How do they compare re dining options, entertainment, kids to do's , etc?

Thanks