Isla Margerita? Any help ?

We might go on a cruise this december with Isla Margerita as a port of call. I looked into it and it looks like there are no bord tours for this

port. And in my caribbean cruise guide book that port doesn't show up as well.

Can anybody help what there is to see and do ?

We went there a few years ago and were able to take a ship tour. They maybe haven't confirmed the tours yet so they haven't been posted. It isn't the prettiest place, rather dry and barren. It is not commercialized at all. We did a tour to "see the sites" tho nothing stands out in my memory as stellar to see. Mostly saw terrain, people, little souvenier shop,....not much. The best part of going there was basically being able to say we had been to Venezuela.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

It is Margarita Island, and it’s off the coast of Venezuela. We were there several years ago, and it was beautiful. They stopped going there because of the political issues. We did a cruise ship excursion to a gorgeous beach. It was an absolutely perfect day, although we did have to go through security roadblocks, and there were armed soldiers everywhere back then.

2ntbtw3.jpg

Here is the port area from the ship. There are a couple of nice beaches right at the port. The beaches are a little small but nice. People we spoke to that spent their day here had a nice day.

2jam0sj.jpg

vctra0.jpg

These two are the little port beaches

22dc7l.jpg

This is the little shopping area in the port

From our beach excursion:

2d8rfoh.jpg

The sand was like carpet and the current came in towards the beach so you weren't dragged out to sea if you wanted to swim.

9iehwi.jpg

Edited by Kevin's girl

Many thanks, then it might be (as it will be also the most southern port of call on this cruise) that this will be our "day on the beach".

We will see and wait, maybe we get more information when we are on board.

RCI do not have any sailings scheduled there.

RCCL lines Pulmantur (Horizon) and TUI (Mein Schiff 1 ) call on Isla Margareta.

Costa, MSC and Oceania also have ships visiting the port.

We did a jeep tour when we went in 2006/7. We had a lovely day and for us one of the best excursions we did. We went to a nature reserve and the beach. This was our sons favourite tour he was 15 at the time and still talks about the day now.

We went there years ago but it was on a Princess ship. We spent the day at the beach near the port. It was a lovely beach; the water was very calm and clear. The shopping area near the pier had some really cute items and there are bars in that area as well. I remember pearls being a hot item there. Prices were very reasonable.

Donna

Went there as the last Princess cruise to hit that port a few years ago. Excellent local crafts for sale in huts at the port. Nice beach with very shallow water adjacent to the pier. Did not try any excursions there. The local school kids came out to sing to us as we sailed. Really nice people - good to see some cruise line is going back! They were the highest standard of living area in Venezuela due to the oil refineries and cruise traffic.

While I am glad to have seen Isla Margarita years ago, the region has been added to the UK general travel advisory for Venezuela now.

It is most likely a good thing that RCI do not have calls currently scheduled there.

While it appears Aida Cruises (German, Carnival Corp) will go back there in 2016, they pulled out this season following the murder of one of their passengers on the island in February.

Fraud alerts are out for any changing of currency or use of ATMs or credit cards on the island.

From the UK travel advisory (some is common sense, but violent crime has really picked up recently on the island)

There is a high risk of street crime (often armed) throughout Venezuela, especially in the major cities and on beaches, including on the popular tourist island of Margarita where there have been several incidents of armed robbery. Resistance to robbery has resulted in victims being shot dead. Take care at all times.

You should remain vigilant and be aware that common crimes such as mugging and pick pocketing are often accompanied by violence. Avoid displays of wealth, including visibly displaying your mobile phone. Take care if you make or receive calls. You can reduce the possibility of your phone being detected by criminals by switching off functions like Bluetooth and Wi-fi.

The risk of crime is higher after dark. Try not to go out alone. Don’t camp on or visit beaches after dark.

Don’t accept pamphlets in the street or major shopping centres, as there have been incidents of these having been impregnated with potent and disorienting drugs which permeate the skin. Tourists’ drinks have also been spiked. Don’t accept food or drink from strangers.

We went twice and had a wonderful time each time.

The tour was Rhumba on the Chiva - the music was blasting out of the converted bus and they were pouring the rum punches. The people on the bus were jumping around to the music and so were the people on land.

Then time at the beach , some empanadas were served and we relaxed for awhile. The town and local residents were real friendly./B]

I would go back, for sure.

Maryandi

We were there on a cruise quite some time ago. I think we took a ship tour, which is unusual for us. It wasn't great--just a ride to the city, touring around the city, a couple of stops and walking around.

We wished we had just stayed at the port area where there was a nice little beach. I'm sure we just chose the wrong excursion, but thought we wanted to see some of the island.

I didn't think any RCI ship went there. I wonder why the question was posted on this board?

I did some research on this forum and I put it on this board with

this reasons:

- my research showed me that there were some RCI-Ships going to this

island (not right now but in the past)

- there is nothing useful in the "port of call" section, no "Isla Margerita" and no "Venezuela" (I've put the same question on the South America Board and I got not that many answers there)

- I was on the jewel in march 2014 and beforehand I was on this board active, so I know that the RCI board is very well visited and there are a lot of experts, which will give me the information I need (and I was right)

We went there several years ago. BUY PEARLS! Prices cannot be beat. There is a little island dance performance right when you get off the ship. There is a marketplace right there too with lots of stalls for buying items such as native dolls, earrings, PEARLS and something else. I cannot remember. I do remember wondering if husband would like it. Maybe leather? Anyway... A short five minute walk from the ship is the beach. Known for open air massages. Also a tender port.I remember thinking I should have bought all my souvenirs there due to the affordability. Nothing else to do. My in-laws stayed on the ship.