Mini Suite

We are booked in a mini suite on the Breakaway. Are there any perks to booking this type of suite or only if you book the Haven suites?

Do you get to go to Cagneys for breakfast and lunch if you are in a mini suite?

Thanks for any help and info.

C. Witek

A mini-"suite" is not an actual suite. Basically it is a balcony statetroom which has a slightly nicer bathroom perhaps depending on location it may have a larger balcony too.

No perks like breakfast at Cagney's.

We are booked in a mini suite on the Breakaway. Are there any perks to booking this type of suite or only if you book the Haven suites?

No, I'm afraid not. It's really just a balcony room with a better bathroom and slightly larger sitting area. No other perks are involved.

We got upgraded from a BC balcony to a mini-suite on Breakaway in February. We really liked it.

C. Witek

None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

A mini-suite gets nothing extra.

I wish the cruise lines would discontinue the "VANITY" labeling of a glorified balcony suite !

These staterooms should be labeled as "DELUXE" Balcony cabins !

Over all the total square footage may be from 10 to 20 square feet greater than a balcony cabin.

The ONLY plus side to a - Ahem - a Mini-Suite is a larger bathroom facility generally a tub instead of a shower and/or possibly separate vanity sink.

The balcony space varies by ship could be the same or a few more square inches of space compared to a balcony cabin.

Otherwise no significant perks:

No early boarding

No Butler or Concierge

No special dinning reservations

No special handling leaving the ship

It has been reported here at Cruise Critic that the Mini-Suites on the NCL SUN are the best to be found anywhere.

Regular minisuites on the breakaway don't have a tub (I think those are only in Spa ones) - at least ours didn't.

Ours did. I thought it was true of most mini-suites. It was nice to take a shower in there -- much more room than the standard cruise ship shower stall.

If I am in a mini-suite and my friends are across the hall in an inside, can they not join me when I'm not allowed in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch? I hate to not include them in the mini-suite perks. Since I'm not allowed in Cagney's at all for breakfast or lunch, maybe the concierge would let them not join me, maybe just on embarkation day? I wanted to have them join me in the mini-suite so they could not enjoy the non-perks for the mini-suite, but they wanted their own bathroom. Anyone have experience with this?

C. Witek

By the way, other REAL suites get perks, not just Haven suites.

If I am in a mini-suite and my friends are across the hall in an inside, can they not join me when I'm not allowed in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch? I hate to not include them in the mini-suite perks. Since I'm not allowed in Cagney's at all for breakfast or lunch, maybe the concierge would let them not join me, maybe just on embarkation day? I wanted to have them join me in the mini-suite so they could not enjoy the non-perks for the mini-suite, but they wanted their own bathroom. Anyone have experience with this?

They can join you in your tub if your mini happens to have a tub.

Perhaps we should insist that NCL make more changes. After all, isn't an oceanview cabin nothing more than an inside with a window? Why not just call it a "Deluxe Inside?" Isn't a balconly nothing more than an oceanview with a porch? That's a "Deluxe Oceanview" in my book!

I've never understood the issue some people have with the word "minisuite". Especially the need to parse out part of the word as a basis to compare it to something else. If people are thinking that a "minisuite" is a suite simply because it contains the word "suite", then they should also think that a "person" is always male because it contains the word "son". :rolleyes:

Cabins on the ships are advertised as having a "minifridge"

However, you NEVER see people confused and complaining because the cabin contained this:

df40open.jpg

and they were expecting this:

open-refrigerator-jswbgecz.jpg

Perhaps we should insist that NCL make more changes. After all, isn't an oceanview cabin nothing more than an inside with a window? Why not just call it a "Deluxe Inside?" Isn't a balconly nothing more than an oceanview with a porch? That's a "Deluxe Oceanview" in my book!

I've never understood the issue some people have with the word "minisuite". Especially the need to parse out part of the word as a basis to compare it to something else. If people are thinking that a "minisuite" is a suite simply because it contains the word "suite", ....

An oceanview has a VIEW of the ocean

A balcony has a BALCONY - pretty sure most know that means

An inside is INSIDE the ship

A mini suite is NOT A SUITE

call whatever you want, but take the word SUITE out of it

it is not a suite by any stretch of imagination

I've heard that at some time in the distant past on NCL minisuites actually received some small perks. That ended way before my time. I think even then they did not receive breakfast/lunch perks. More like the use of concierge and a couple of other things.

Nowhere in NCL's documentation do they ever list suite perks for minisuites. It is just a name, as others have said, no different than inside or balcony.

Mostly wishful thinking on the part of some I think.

I've heard that at some time in the distant past on NCL minisuites actually received some small perks. That ended way before my time. I think even then they did not receive breakfast/lunch perks. More like the use of concierge and a couple of other things.

Nowhere in NCL's documentation do they ever list suite perks for minisuites. It is just a name, as others have said, no different than inside or balcony.

Mostly wishful thinking on the part of some I think.

Back when I started cruising you did get perks with the minisuite. They have since gone away. Although back then a full suite didn't have breakfast & lunch in Cagney's. A matter of fact there were no special arrangements for B&L. Although I seem to remember 1 year they did have the 2 main dining rooms available for breakfast. Minisuite & above had 1 & inside up to balcony had the other. Kind of strange looking back. I do appreciate the B&L at Cagney's. It really is one of the best perks of being in a suite!

Agreed. You certainly cannot fault people for asking about perks. They most definitely should rename these cabins.

Well, of course! :rolleyes:

A BALCONY also has a view of the ocean.

A PENTHOUSE also has a balcony.

And the last time I checked, ALL cabins are inside the ship! ;)

The problem is with people trying to parse the word "minisuite" so make a ridiculous argument. You CAN'T take the word suite out of it...it is a "minisuite" and thats all it is.

Anyone who can truely claim to be confused because the word "minisuite" contains the letters "suite" as PART of the name is also someone who looks at this:

da-norwegian-cruise-line-nuovo-look-per-pride-L-NYgklf.jpeg

and actually believes it is a country because it's name contains the word "America". :rolleyes:

I've never understood the issue some people have with the word "minisuite". Especially the need to parse out part of the word as a basis to compare it to something else. If people are thinking that a "minisuite" is a suite simply because it contains the word "suite", ....

Balcony Plus, Extended Balcony, Luxury Balcony, Deluxe Balcony, whatever.

Edited by garycarla

Sorry that one of my posts hit here twice. (moving location and well....)

Anyway, in response to another poster. Maybe the inside should be called a micro-suite.

LOL!

Though we will never, ever get us all to agree on things (think any election)... I do think that there is a very high percentage that dislike the term mini-suite - thinking well into the 80-90%.

Doesn't really matter though. NCL will continue to market this just like some other cruiselines do. At least one calls their balcony cabins "Veranda".

Whatever.

True, but you are paying actual suite prices for a mini on the Sun. They are very nice, but also very expensive.

I had a mini-suite (1010) NCL SUN SB Alaska July 2013 single occupancy and the cost was $430 more than the Balcony Cabin.

Compared rates with my cousin and her husband who had a Balcony Cabin booked at the same time as mine.

But neither was any where near the price of a suite of any kind.

Of course when you make reservations for your cabin will/can make the difference in price.

Wait until the last minute and perhaps the mini-suite fares can match the base level suite fares.

YMMV

Mini (Oh how I dread that word) Suites are very popular and sell like hot cakes - so plan to book one early for best results.

For some of the best photos of the NCL SUN mini-suites go to:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php?ship=Norwegian Sun

You will have to be a member at that website to view the photos and check on the features of deck arrangements i.e. "Drag Decks" but for frequent cruisers

it is worth it - all cruise lines and all ships are noted in detail some more than others.