HAL Ryndam insult to British & American passengers

Hopefully I did not leave any one out in what I hope are, in my own opinion, the best quotes for my reply. (In case they all do not show up, I am trying to quote about 6-7 posters, to include RuthC, Sail7Seas 1st post and more)

Hubby is one of the "Baby Boomers," and I am of the Korean Conflict. We are, obviously, also part of the "Vietnam Conflict, as well as all the conflicts and wars since our births.

That being said, I do not expect to have a flag of the US of A sitting on my table in the MDR, nor hear an announcement made over the PA system when I board for our next Caribbean cruise.

We will be boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam on 7 December 2014...... Pearl Harbor Day.........THAT is also an important day in the USA and while I will remember the significance of that date in history, I do not expect the Captain or CD to make an announcement because there are a percentage of Americans on board.

While 7 December 1942 will "Live in Infamy," in the minds and hearts of many, there are those who remember, and perhaps even survived both Nagasaki or Hiroshima, and others.

International Night on board HAL ships is just that, International Night, and to be offended by the lack of the flag of your country and making it a focal point of dissatisfaction of a cruise, is just wrong.

God Bless all who gave, and are still giving their lives in order that we can make our views and thoughts so vocal.

Joanie

Apparently the date of the attack on Pearl Harbor does not "live in infamy" for this poster as is was December 7th, 1941; it was not 1942!

I feel that your diatribe about the lack of flags in just a wee bit over the top. If they put American flags on the table on July 4, do you think that the British people might feel insulted? How about the French on Bastille day? Every nationality has an event that was significant in their history. Do you expect the HAL to stock and put out flags for each one of them.

Besides, if as some other posters suggested, if you truly felt that the day was significant, you would be on Normandy and at the cemetery commemorating the day with the last group of Normandy vets that will be capable of attending the invasion anniversary and telling them how we all appreciate their bravery. That would be a true remembrance of the invasion and of the lives that were lost.

DON

Apparently the date of the attack on Pearl Harbor does not "live in infamy" for this poster as is was December 7th, 1941; it was not 1942!

LOL, and I was going to say that for me, Pearl Harbour has always been December 8th! We were living in Shanghai, so across the dateline, and that was also the day the Japanese made all the foreigners in China start wearing armbands with Chinese writing that said we were "enemy aliens".

The International Dinner is the International Dinner and the flags are the table decorations for it. I always try to guess what countries' flags are on our table and have never thought our table should have the American flag. Actually, I try to avoid this dinner as there is little on the menu that I like.

I'm glad we live close to the port, because our table will be rocking this on International night. It would be hard to pack if we had to fly.

81PVN8mQNVL._SY600_.jpg

We're on a back to back, so we'll get double use.

Beistle 57372 International Flag Miniature Cascade Centerpiece, 71/2-Inch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087ASFOS/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_feGNtb1KBVE96FVG

I'm sure we'll be missing some countries, but at least we'll be trying.

Edited by POA1

That quote from John Belushi in 'Animal House' comes to mind, but that's a whole different story ;)

That quote from John Belushi in 'Animal House' comes to mind, but that's a whole different story ;)

Please share the Animal House reference

I know John Belushi was in the movie 1941. Is that what you're thinking of, or was there something about December 7th in Animal House? -- just curious :)

I loved Animal House and I've been meaning to watch 1942 again, first time was when it was new, I wasn't impressed :)

I know John Belushi was in the movie 1941. Is that what you're thinking of, or was there something about December 7th in Animal House? -- just curious :)

I loved Animal House and I've been meaning to watch 1942 again, first time was when it was new, I wasn't impressed :)

1978 Film - adult language

Animal House: Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor:

I think he is referring to this :

What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

I could be wrong though - I often am:)

*LOL*

There is also the line that has been attributed to several people. Sam Goldwyn, Red Skelton etc.

When asked if he heard Pearl Harbor got bombed , the reply was "I didn't even know she drank" :)

I visited the Arizona a few years ago and was upset that there was so many Japanese on the vessel. When they threw their flowers into the water I felT ashamed that I was so upset seeing them. Many of us have memories of WW2 and that's what they are, MEMORIES.Not all the world is American or British.

My father was at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, serving on the USS Chew (hence my CC name) ... he was one of the PHSA founding members and was instrumental in having the Arizona memorial built ... over the course of his research & speaking engagements around the country, he met several of the Japanese pilots who participated in the raid. He & my mother became very good friends with one of them ... visited each other, wrote, exchanged holiday cards ... for many years.

Thank you for correcting my typo. I knew it was 1941 and honor the date with a prayer for all involved. I hit the wrong button on my keyboard when I typed it.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

There are many many dates that are important. We have new ones all the time. Sept. 11th means more to this generation than June 6th. 70 years is a long time. We were saturated with it here at home. Nothing wrong with that. My dad was in WW2 in the Canadian forces. He was at Dieppe. This is not something that would ruin my cruise I can tell you. any day on ship is a good day for me. :)

And here I thought that pic was your table :o

It was our table - I just have a really bad memory! :D

It did seem to me that there was a Canadian flag - I think my sister-in-law noticed there was no Australian one on our table.

I'm glad we live close to the port, because our table will be rocking this on International night. It would be hard to pack if we had to fly.

81PVN8mQNVL._SY600_.jpg

We're on a back to back, so we'll get double use.

Beistle 57372 International Flag Miniature Cascade Centerpiece, 71/2-Inch

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087ASFOS/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_feGNtb1KBVE96FVG

I'm sure we'll be missing some countries, but at least we'll be trying.

I hope you realize that weighs one whole pound! Of course, you don't have to worry about airline limits.:D

It was our table - I just have a really bad memory! :D

It did seem to me that there was a Canadian flag - I think my sister-in-law noticed there was no Australian one on our table.

That 3rd flag in your table pic appears to be dark green; that's why Pakistan came to mind; the 4th is not visible at all

Never mind, Pakistan's has a white field at the hoist side

Perhaps Portugal

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzDtLL_kaRrNQku2QrbEFQ_kHzXCA4A5Ew7RX-4s0dwjb4cAtd

Edited by Copper10-8