young boy's aged 11 and 16 smart shorts mdr

My 2 cents..

Wear what YOU AND YOUR FAMILY want to!

Let the ship staff enforce it's suggested dress codes. It's not up to everyone on these boards. If they don't enforce it, WHO CARES? You are on vacation. If you are going to allow someone in shorts and t-shirt ruin your dinner, you have many other problems going on upstairs.

My 2 cents..

Let the ship staff enforce it's suggested dress codes. It's not up to everyone on these boards. If they don't enforce it, WHO CARES? You are on vacation. If you are going to allow someone in shorts and t-shirt ruin your dinner, you have many other problems going on upstairs.

See this is an opposing viewpoint I can respect . You understand the guidelines, and make a conscious decision whether to accept the suggestions or not. Much better than trying to pretend there really isn't a dress code or that they didn't really mean you because you're some kind of special snowflake.

For the record, if I had my personal preference, everyone would follow the suggestions at dinner. Does it make or break my meal or vacation either way? Absolutely not, but I do think it makes the dinner experience a little nicer when people are dressed nicer. But sadly the world isn't designed around my personal preferences ;)

To me the guidelines take care of this, as most people follow them. No changes to the guidelines or enforcement necessary IMO. Most people are in the suggested dress, and if it's really a big deal to someone to wear shorts, they can without being hassled (except on message boards :D)

It is confusing to me that some here will pick a cruise line that prohibits bringing booze onboard, smoking on the balcony. or even shorts in the dinner venue, and then come here to complain about it.

Until recently RCI didn't let you bring on wine. People complained. Policy was changed.

Until recently RCI allowed smoking on balconies. People complained. Policy was changed.

Customer feedback is the impetus for policy change. RCI monitors these boards and is sensitive to actionable feedback.

My 2 cents..

You, too, are having a problem differentiating between a suggestion and a rule. Pity. Do you also advocate sending someone out to reserve six pool loungers early in the morning for the whole family? After all, it is YOUR vacation and that rule is often not enforced either.

No, what you are wearing will certainly not spoil my dinner but if we happened to be seated at the same table I'm afraid I'd be mentally putting you in the category of a self-centered all about me individual. I have little regard for that type of person. No, I would never say anything as I've got too much class for that - although if I've had a couple of predinner drinks in the CL, I might look pityingly in your direction and say oh, no, they lost your luggage!

Until recently RCI didn't let you bring on wine. People complained. Policy was changed.

Until recently RCI allowed smoking on balconies. People complained. Policy was changed.

Customer feedback is the impetus for policy change. RCI monitors these boards and is sensitive to actionable feedback.

Absolutely. It is what I was trying to say but you do so much more succinctly. :D

Yes, which is why I believe the prohibition of shorts will be dropped at some point. I think most people don't care if someone wears a pair of shorts.

Sherri:)

You, too, are having a problem differentiating between a suggestion and a rule. Pity. Do you also advocate sending someone out to reserve six pool loungers early in the morning for the whole family? After all, it is YOUR vacation and that rule is often not enforced either.

No, what you are wearing will certainly not spoil my dinner but if we happened to be seated at the same table I'm afraid I'd be mentally putting you in the category of a self-centered all about me individual. I have little regard for that type of person. No, I would never say anything as I've got too much class for that - although if I've had a couple of predinner drinks in the CL, I might look pityingly in your direction and say oh, no, they lost your luggage!

By what the poster is saying I don't think he minds what you think at all, I'm sure he would just like you to get on with your holiday.

Edited by Adayatatime

Do you also advocate sending someone out to reserve six pool loungers early in the morning for the whole family?

Do you engage in or advocate bringing on water or soda? After all that TOO is a RULE. Why do we not see you and your always condescending and rude remarks in the "can I bring on water" threads the same way you are in the dress code threads?

People that feel the need to remind others of how much class they have generally dont have much class at all.

Do you engage in or advocate bringing on water or soda? After all that TOO is a RULE. Why do we not see you and your always condescending and rude remarks in the "can I bring on water" threads the same way you are in the dress code threads?

People that feel the need to remind others of how much class they have generally dont have much class at all.

No, actually I neither advocate nor engage in bringing on water or soda.

Makes me wonder what mental category Lovetocruise75 would put you in after a crack like that. Condescending, judgmental attitudes cut both ways.

I doubt anyone on these boards would ever dare confront another individual on board regarding their choice of dress; only the anonymity of these boards gives them the "courage" to do so.

No, actually I neither advocate nor engage in bringing on water or soda.

ryano, you've been flogging that horse pretty hard, over and over. I asked you just who you think does that here a couple days back. I took your lack of response as an inability to point to anyone who does. So unless you can point to someone who is being hypocritical in that regard, how about letting that poor horse rest from the repeated floggings you've been inflicting - without any evidence!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Makes me wonder what mental category Lovetocruise75 would put you in after a crack like that. Condescending, judgmental attitudes cut both ways.

I doubt anyone on these boards would ever dare confront another individual on board regarding their choice of dress; only the anonymity of these boards gives them the "courage" to do so.

Judgments are not always unfounded, nor are judgments arrived at but not verbalized displaying any condescension. In this case, the silent judgment that the person openly displaying their attitude of "I don't have to pay attention to or follow the rules, and I don't intend to" is rude & self-centered is simply... correct.

And she said nothing about confronting them.

Again, I will say that this all becomes moot if something like Dynamic Dining becomes standard.

People who want to dress a certain way will avoid/attend certain dining rooms based on what they wish to wear.

You and I both know someone will complain that they can't dress a certain way in a certain dining room

The fun will never end

:cj

Edited by Captain Jake

My 2 cents..

Let the ship staff enforce it's suggested dress codes. It's not up to everyone on these boards. If they don't enforce it, WHO CARES? You are on vacation. If you are going to allow someone in shorts and t-shirt ruin your dinner, .

But why should it be an issue at all. Do as the rules say and RCCL staff would have no need to enforce the rules. It plainly states, with few exceptions, that you have to be 21 to get a cabin. That makes people an adult, act like it!!!

Again, I will say that this all becomes moot if something like Dynamic Dining becomes standard.

People who want to dress a certain way will avoid/attend certain dining rooms based on what they wish to wear.

You and I both know someone will complain that they can't dress a certain way in a certain dining room

The fun will never end

Oh, that already has happened here, within a day or so of the announcement about Quantum Dynamic Dining.

"If the menu in The Grande is what I want to eat, I should be able to go there without dressing up if I don't want to! It's my vacation and I paid for it!!"

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Every time one of these "dress code threads" goes over 200 posts it just gets too funny. My god people, don't you ever tire of it????:D

Haha! You're here, so obviously you don't! :rolleyes:

How about a Toddler or Baby in a Carriage? If someone really going to go stomping mad to the Maitre D' if a baby comes in wearing a jumper? Is there some acceptable age threshold for a parent to allow children to ignore this rule :confused:

Last I checked you had to be an adult to book NCL, or be an adult with significantly more disposable income to book Disney. They allow shorts in the dining room. I don't believe that guests on NCL or Disney act any less "like adults" for doing so in comparison to people sailing RCI. The demographics are probably pretty similar in regards to age, living situations, income, educational levels, etc.

How about a Toddler or Baby in a Carriage? If someone really going to go stomping mad to the Maitre D' if a baby comes in wearing a jumper? Is there some acceptable age threshold for a parent to allow children to ignore this rule :confused:

Last I checked you had to be an adult to book NCL, or be an adult with significantly more disposable income to book Disney. They allow shorts in the dining room. I don't believe that guests on NCL or Disney act any less "like adults" for doing so in comparison to people sailing RCI. The demographics are probably pretty similar in regards to age, living situations, income, educational levels, etc.

and your point is...?????:rolleyes:

and your point is...?????:rolleyes:

The first part is an honest question. Does this rule pertain to babies and toddlers?

The second part is an observations. Other cruise lines of similar or greater expense allow this, so it's clearly not a matter of not acting like an adult.

Haha! You're here, so obviously you don't! :rolleyes:

Haha!! I did tire of participating in the "debate" a long time ago. But it's always entertaining to read the posts from the people who take both sides so seriously......:rolleyes: And they NEVER tire of re-stating their positions time after time after time....... :) Maybe it's been a while since a dress code thread hit 300 posts, just doing my part to get this one there!!!! :)

Edited by bouhunter

I don't believe that guests on NCL or Disney act any less "like adults" for doing so in comparison to people sailing RCI. The demographics are probably pretty similar in regards to age, living situations, income, educational levels, etc.

Yeah, but I've been told that our opinions don't count until we've got an undisclosed number of RCI cruises under our belts.

:D

The first part is an honest question. Does this rule pertain to babies and toddlers?

The second part is an observations. Other cruise lines of similar or greater expense allow this, so it's clearly not a matter of not acting like an adult.

most people dress their babies and toddlers nicely.

All cruise lines have different rules. Many will sell you a litre for your cabin. RCCL does not