Russian Visa

I am looking into the Eurodam with a 2 day stop in St.Petersburg. Does anyone know the rules and regulations and costs for a visa?

I heard if I book a tour through Holland America then I don't need a Visa but that I also wont be able to walk around alone or go to any local restaurants.

Please advise.

Thanks so much.

there are a lot of post on this board re visa and doing your own thing in SPB, if you look through the forum you should find all the answers you need, the most recent is headed "Questions re SPB ..Viking Ocean" .very comphrehensive in its replies.

I am looking into the Eurodam with a 2 day stop in St.Petersburg. Does anyone know the rules and regulations and costs for a visa?

I heard if I book a tour through Holland America then I don't need a Visa but that I also wont be able to walk around alone or go to any local restaurants.

Please advise.

Thanks so much.

If you book a ship's or local tour (we used alla tours on a 2 day tour) you won't need to do anything regarding visas. As long as you're with the guide you'll be fine. It depends what you mean by walk about alone. If you mean go off for half a day on your own, the answer is no.

To be honest, there is SO much to see at St Petersburg that you'll need a fully dedicated guide and a strict itinerary to have a chance to see the major attractions...and they are pretty major.

Most include lunch as they tend to be whole day or 2 day tours (return to the ship between days). We had one packed lunch (we were on a river cruise at the time) and one in a small restaurant.

Martin

If you are on a cruiseline or private tour you do not need a visa, the tour group/company gets one for the whole group. Otherwise you will need one. We looked into this years ago and the expense and difficulty in getting one was such that a small group private tour (we used SPB) made a lot more sense than doing it ourselves.

If you book a ship's or local tour (we used alla tours on a 2 day tour) you won't need to do anything regarding visas. As long as you're with the guide you'll be fine. It depends what you mean by walk about alone. If you mean go off for half a day on your own, the answer is no.

To be honest, there is SO much to see at St Petersburg that you'll need a fully dedicated guide and a strict itinerary to have a chance to see the major attractions...and they are pretty major.

Most include lunch as they tend to be whole day or 2 day tours (return to the ship between days). We had one packed lunch (we were on a river cruise at the time) and one in a small restaurant.

Martin

Agree with Martin's comments. We used SPB Tours. Many of the top tour operators have similar itineraries and all seem to be well regarded. For our 2 days, we had 2 sit down lunches in restaurants.

Keep looking around here on CC in this forum. Lots of good info!

Check Princess itineraries. We recently were in StP and did a Princess tour that took in the Hermitage and then we had 3 or 4 hours on our own. We roamed freely around the city and then met up with the bus at an appointed time and spot. No problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I started to look at the tour companies and wow......$250pp is alot. We are 8 people and if we wanted to see the greatest hits (amber room, etc) most economically, which and who would you recommend.

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I started to look at the tour companies and wow......$250pp is alot. We are 8 people and if we wanted to see the greatest hits (amber room, etc) most economically, which and who would you recommend.

Thanks again.

First of all you MUST read up on tours in St Petersburg, what you will see, what you might want to see. There are so many people who come here and ask the same exact thing as you did. Please even just skim this board, thru the first few pages, and you will see many answers to your questions.

What we refer to as a 'private tour' there are about 5-6 independent tour companies that offer 2 day tours in St Petersburg, opposed to taking ship's tours. These companies do an excellent job and almost everyone here has used one of them and have come back just raving about what a great time they have had. Ship's tours are OK, but a private tour company will show you more in the same time frame, the groups are limited to a max of about 14 or so, you go on mini buses and are not overwhelmed by huge tour buses with 60-80 people on them.

As was said there is just so much to see in St Petersburg, 2 days doesn't do it justice. The price you were quoted of $250 is a bargain. Most here, including myself paid about $300PP. But if you break it down it's $125PP per day for an all day tour, including lunch, which IS a bargain.

I've said it so many times already, a ship's excursion doesn't really care if you have a marvelous time. These private companies make their living off your recommendations and will bend over backwards to accommodate you and make sure you have the time of your life.

Forget any private visas, and use a tour company. We used SPB Tours and were thrilled with them. They also do several of the other ports you will be in and if you book multiple tours, you will save some money. https://www.spb-tours.com/

Cheers

Len

Thanks again.

If you want to see the Amber Room, you really must book a tour. Not only is the palace that contains it far from the port, but when we visited, the entrance line was hours long. At the front of the line was an SPB tour employee holding a spot for our tour group of 16. We all walked right in with no waiting. Did I feel a little guilty -- yes. Did I refuse to enter... nope. Same story at many other major sites.

You will be in St. Pete such a short time, and for most of us it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. My advice is to economize in other Baltic ports (all are easy to DIY) but bite the bullet in SPB and pay what it takes to maximize your time there.

Looking at the Russian Embassy website shows the cost for processing a single or double entry visa to be $140 per person. Makes the tours offered by the local companies an absolute fantastic deal for all they include. We are booked for a 10 person private tour this July with SPB and our cost is $330 per person. A great deal in my opinion.

We just returned from our Baltic cruise about a week ago and used SPB Tours, the deluxe tour for 2 days. It covers 2 sit down lunches and admission to everything, plus transportation and a terrific guide throughout the 2 solid days of touring. Just can't imagine going there without a guide if you really want to see the highlights when you only have 2 days in port. As someone pointed out, just the cost of getting a Visa and then the hassle can be pricey. Figure in admissions, transportation, lunches and a tour for $250 for 2 days looks much more reasonable. Some of the Baltic ports you can do on your own, but this one would be a difficult one if you have never been there and don't already have a visa.

We just got visas as we are staying in Russia for two weeks with a private tour company. The cost quoted for a visa doesn't begin to cover it. As the forms have to be presented to the embassy and picked up in person, you also have to hire a company to handle the visa (our tour company did it for us) unless you live near the Russian Embassy. The visa application is also a monster, wanting to know where I went to elementary school and the name and contact information for all my employers since I got out of school. The tour company told me I could ignore most of those questions but I wouldn't have known that. In the end, their visa department sent the form back to me because I got one digit wrong on the many pages I filled out.

This visa question pops up a lot as folks like to wander off by themselves. This is no longer the Soviet Union (where your tour guide was most likely KGB) but it is still Russia and the U.S.A. is not one of the favored western nations that does not need visas there. Also, Coral Reef is correct about the lines. In doing research and talking with our tour company we found that many, if not most, Russian tourist attractions have a policy of working with the tour companies. The guides go right in with their people while individuals often wait in long lines. You will also find that admission costs in Russia are high for visitors. That country has a policy, and maybe it does make sense, that these tourist attractions are generally supported by state funds and, as a result, Russian citizens and residents should get in cheap as it's their money at work. This is also a country that honors its veterans more than we do and a Russian war vet gets in many, if not most, places for little or no admission.

We just got visas as we are staying in Russia for two weeks with a private tour company. The cost quoted for a visa doesn't begin to cover it. As the forms have to be presented to the embassy and picked up in person, you also have to hire a company to handle the visa (our tour company did it for us) unless you live near the Russian Embassy. The visa application is also a monster, wanting to know where I went to elementary school and the name and contact information for all my employers since I got out of school. The tour company told me I could ignore most of those questions but I wouldn't have known that. In the end, their visa department sent the form back to me because I got one digit wrong on the many pages I filled out.

This visa question pops up a lot as folks like to wander off by themselves. This is no longer the Soviet Union (where your tour guide was most likely KGB) but it is still Russia and the U.S.A. is not one of the favored western nations that does not need visas there. Also, Coral Reef is correct about the lines. In doing research and talking with our tour company we found that many, if not most, Russian tourist attractions have a policy of working with the tour companies. The guides go right in with their people while individuals often wait in long lines. You will also find that admission costs in Russia are high for visitors. That country has a policy, and maybe it does make sense, that these tourist attractions are generally supported by state funds and, as a result, Russian citizens and residents should get in cheap as it's their money at work. This is also a country that honors its veterans more than we do and a Russian war vet gets in many, if not most, places for little or no admission.

Congratulations on your pending trip to Russia ! You are one of those rare , brave people willing to step out of your comfort zone to find a more exciting experience . We are sure that you will be rewarded with the visit of a life time by experiencing Russia like a visitor instead of like a tourist . You can find lots of pictures and information on visiting St. Petersburg and Moscow by Sapsan if you clip on our Red thread links at the bottom of our signature.

Happy travels , Joe and Pat

8284ebbb-324f-487a-874a-fc3d68ad839b_zpsb07bb30a.jpg

Congratulations on your pending trip to Russia ! You are one of those rare , brave people willing to step out of your comfort zone to find a more exciting experience . We are sure that you will be rewarded with the visit of a life time by experiencing Russia like a visitor instead of like a tourist . You can find lots of pictures and information on visiting St. Petersburg and Moscow by Sapsan if you clip on our Red thread links at the bottom of our signature.

Happy travels , Joe and Pat

8284ebbb-324f-487a-874a-fc3d68ad839b_zpsb07bb30a.jpg

Hi scubacruiser,

Did you visit Veliky Novgorod? We want to visit Novgorod as well as Moscow (and, of course, a more indepth visit to St. Pete). I definitely want to attend the closing ceremony of Peterhof fountains. :)

We will be in Russia for a little over 3 weeks - any suggestions for unique experiences/sights?

Thanks!

Hi scubacruiser,

Did you visit Veliky Novgorod? We want to visit Novgorod as well as Moscow (and, of course, a more indepth visit to St. Pete). I definitely want to attend the closing ceremony of Peterhof fountains. :)

We will be in Russia for a little over 3 weeks - any suggestions for unique experiences/sights?

Thanks!

Wow ! Three weeks sounds great ! To answer your question , we have not been to Novgorod. May we ask - when are you going ? Many things are seasonal - like the closing of the fountains in mid - September or concerts , cruises etc. We are planning for our next visit on Victory Day in May of next year. We are considering a 4 night river cruise from St. Pete to Kizhi island or an overnight stay in Moscow. Some of our favorites in St. Pete, will be a helicopter ride (on the weekend) and a return to the banya and Dacha. Are you considering a SPB card ? It's a DYI's best friend. If you want to contact us directly , scubacruiserx2@gmail.com :D

Wow ! Three weeks sounds great ! To answer your question , we have not been to Novgorod. May we ask - when are you going ? Many things are seasonal - like the closing of the fountains in mid - September or concerts , cruises etc. We are planning for our next visit on Victory Day in May of next year. We are considering a 4 night river cruise from St. Pete to Kizhi island or an overnight stay in Moscow. Some of our favorites in St. Pete, will be a helicopter ride (on the weekend) and a return to the banya and Dacha. Are you considering a SPB card ? It's a DYI's best friend. If you want to contact us directly , scubacruiserx2@gmail.com :D

We will be there for the closing of Peterhof fountains. Have already checked this out. :)

Actually, I have not looked into the SPB card yet. I know it exists, just haven't done any research.

Is there a website for the helicopter ride?

Thanks!

We will be there for the closing of Peterhof fountains. Have already checked this out. :)

Actually, I have not looked into the SPB card yet. I know it exists, just haven't done any research.

Is there a website for the helicopter ride?

Thanks!

The price of the helicopter has gone sky high ! $89 for a flight from Peter and Paul Fortress or Peterhof.

http://www.baltairlines.ru/en/pages/72/

Europe09366.jpg

In contrast to the SPB card which for 5 days ( 40 museums , hydrofoil to Peterhof and a Hoho bus) cost only $ 107. You can also use the card for the Metro or bus lines and add money - if needed .

http://www.petersburgcard.com/eng/about-card/guide_and_city_map/

Check Princess itineraries. We recently were in StP and did a Princess tour that took in the Hermitage and then we had 3 or 4 hours on our own. We roamed freely around the city and then met up with the bus at an appointed time and spot. No problems.

kiwimum you are my HERO !!!! :)) This is what I would like also to do. But I wanted to ask. We are on the Royal Princess - 6th of July Baltic Cruise and want to do the same. Does this "Hermitage Museum & St Petersburg On Your Own" also include the VISA or do I have to issue a tourist VISA on my own ?

Here is a link to the tour in question and it seems to imply - Visa not needed.

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=R&exType=S&tourCode=LED-280

The visa was included as it was part if a ship sponsored tour. We visited several stores, did some geocaching, had lunch, and walked around the city no problems what so ever. The Hermitage portion was okay, short and very controlled, crowded in some rooms, but the best thing it was open for Princess tours only. Price of the day was perfect.

The visa was included as it was part if a ship sponsored tour. We visited several stores, did some geocaching, had lunch, and walked around the city no problems what so ever. The Hermitage portion was okay, short and very controlled, crowded in some rooms, but the best thing it was open for Princess tours only. Price of the day was perfect.

kiwimum was the 3-4 hours enough to catch up and see some of the main attractions in the city ? have you used a Hop-on Hop-off bus ?

I am think of doing this for the first day of the cruise and on the next day either do "St. Petersburg River & Canal Cruise" which is 3.5 hours or "City Drive"

My question is - are they flexible and leave us explore a little more on the second day or do they expect to be on time of the 3.5 hour window.

I find it more convenient to explore on my own rather than be in a guided tour. Again is my personal opinion and I respect the decision of others to pay a little more and have everything planned for them.

Here is a link to the tour in question and it seems to imply - Visa not needed.

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=R&exType=S&tourCode=LED-280

Thanks scubacruiserx2,

This is what I have in mind. Its just there is nothing said on the page about visas and thats why I wanted to ask.

We took the city tour the first day and saw most if the sights, some from a distance. Fortunately it was a Sunday so there was not a lot of traffic. Stopped at 3 or 4 sights and had around 15 - 20 minutes to roam around. Gave a good overview and idea of where we wanted to go the following day. The tour lasted around 4 hours. Second day was Hermitage and on your own. Adequate time to walk to Sacred Blood, parks, along canals, lunch, shop, geocache and watch people. The day was very hot, 85, so we were ready for pick up time and air conditioning. Our bus only had 21 people on it, plenty of room. The day before we had low 30's for city drive. Good tour guides on both days. Very well educated (both PhD's), one a retired journalist, knowledgeable and very easy to understand. I would definitely recommend both tours. We did not what to spend 12 hours each day in a small van.