Extra Tips

cstrick

Should we tip in the premium restaurants? We have not done so in the past (we try to lock up our wallets and leave them so do not carry money about), but now I wonder if the staff there has a way of procuring tips?

I treat the specialities as somewhere "special" and perhaps a little different in atmosphere compared to the MDR. If the waitstaff went above and beyond and made my visit memorable, then I will tip. My last Nautica trip, I once had poor service and poor food so I didnt tip and on another occasions had an exceptional experience and left $20. The amount will vary according to how I feel the service has been for me and me only and will usually take a couple of 10's in my jacket pocket for that purpose.

Your $700 is shared by many hands ;)

Most cruise lines pay a small salary ($50) the rest comes from tips this is for waitstaff & housekeeping staff other get a set wage

They are not hired & paid by O directly but through a hiring agency who probably takes a cut/fee

Is that a day, a week, a month? Do you know this for sure or is it just a guess. And if you do the math this tipping adds up to quite a lot of money for the amount of cabins on each ship.

Is that a day, a week, a month? Do you know this for sure or is it just a guess. And if you do the math this tipping adds up to quite a lot of money for the amount of cabins on each ship.

Take the daily rate you are paying $15 pp divide by a hundred plus crew members that share that tip

then divide that figure by the number of hours they work pd usually 14+

I do not know what the Tip Pool staff get as a base but on other cruise lines forums you will see reports of $50 per month base salary plus a share of the tips

Bruce Muzz has some interesting posts on CC if you want to check them out

I think the comment cards are good, but let's be real. If you filled in the comment cards with good grades, then you got good service and I feel you should tip the Butler and Steward extra. Every time we do, they are thankful for the extra. I tip the night before we depart the ship.

Rick

We tipped the Butler and cabin stewards who would go out of their way to do the little extras - the butler who brought my coffee each morning at the exact requested time and delivered breakfast just right. Who on our anniversary brought us all the fixings for the caviar I brought on board and delivered the champagne I ordered. The cabin attendant who found me a vase for the flowers I bought in the Marche and then saw the water was changed so they lasted the entire cruise. I didn't have to and they didn't have to either. And yes, the comment card was filled out because these people are also concerned that when their contract is up that it will also be renewed.

We tipped the Butler and cabin stewards who would go out of their way to do the little extras - the butler who brought my coffee each morning at the exact requested time and delivered breakfast just right. Who on our anniversary brought us all the fixings for the caviar I brought on board and delivered the champagne I ordered. The cabin attendant who found me a vase for the flowers I bought in the Marche and then saw the water was changed so they lasted the entire cruise. I didn't have to and they didn't have to either. And yes, the comment card was filled out because these people are also concerned that when their contract is up that it will also be renewed.

You sound like a great person, doing the right thing at the right time-good for you!

Rick

There really is a minimum on extra tips and that is $0.00! Frankly am amazed that someone would ask that question as tips are a personal matter and the service received dictates the amount of the tip. If you ask 100 people how much they tip, you will probably get 100 different answers.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Why should there be any extra tips at all? Oceania charges about the highest added charges for tips in the industry. And their fares are getting pretty high also. We sometimes do give a little extra because we think someone is outstanding but do not feel compelled to extra tip every Tom, Dick and Harry that works on the ship. :):):)

Why should there be any extra tips at all? Oceania charges about the highest added charges for tips in the industry. And their fares are getting pretty high also. We sometimes do give a little extra because we think someone is outstanding but do not feel compelled to extra tip every Tom, Dick and Harry that works on the ship. :):):)

There is a huge difference between "every Tom..." And a butler who you see three times a day and stewards who work so hard to keep you happy and waiters who you may choose to have serve you often. Extra tips are greatly appreciated. Of course some folks may think the pre-paid tips suffice but we enjoy giving the tips and notes.

There is a huge difference between "every Tom..." And a butler who you see three times a day and stewards who work so hard to keep you happy and waiters who you may choose to have serve you often. Extra tips are greatly appreciated. Of course some folks may think the pre-paid tips suffice but we enjoy giving the tips and notes.

At the rate they are going they, meaning Oceania will start have pre paid extra tipping and then maybe some people would want to give extra/extra tips. I liked the old system of envelopes at the end of the cruise and putting cash in them for the people we wanted to tip. :):)

I will venture a guess that the level of pre-paid tips helps Oceania attract high quality staff. Just a little more means much to some of the staff from countries where litteraly every penny counts. We are glad to pay it for the excellent service we receive.