Opinion time: best month for going to Alaska?

DanaLea73

My husband and I are seriously considering an Alaskan cruise for next summer. I have been on one cruise (Carnival Magic, Mexico and Jamaica, Nov 2011) and will be going on my second in a few days (Carnival Magic, Bahamas). The first with best friend and her family, second one with my mom. Hubby isn't interested.. he's got a tiny problem with not being able to see land. LOL

But he's willing to get on the boat for an Alaskan Cruise. My question is, which month? Is there one that is less likely to be rainy? I'm not a big fan of cold, but know it will be on this trip, but as warm as possible would be nice.

Also, I'm a teacher, so it's gotta be from mid June to mid August... any suggestions or advice? We haven't picked a ship or line yet, but from what I have read, I'm leaning towards Princess.

You can find historical weather data for each port in Alaska online (just Google it). It is helpful to see the range of temps and rain from one month to the next. The driest month appears to be July, but it could still rain on the day you are there.

Michele

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went in late June 2012. Chilly but not "cold" and had some light rain showers first couple of days out. Not a lot of sea life however we did see mountain goats and a bear in Skagway and eagles in Juneau. Went late July last year and had fantastic weather (it was 80 in Ketchikan!) and I don't think I ever wore my heavy coat. We had lots of sea life. Saw orcas, lots of humpbacks, dall dolphins, salmon spawning in Ketchikan. It was a much better trip for seeing wildlife. Both were great trips but because we saw so much sealifd in July, we're repeating it this year.

I talked to a store owner in Skagway last month. She said last 2 weeks of July .....1st week of August usually are best time..but it's Alaska..so be ready for rain. Hope you are able to cruise to Alaska..its an amazing cruising destination!

I would figure out what time works best with you and go with that. As many times as we have visited Alaska we realize that weather there changes frequently from hour to hour to day to day to week to week and year over year it is different too.

Keith

My husband and I are seriously considering an Alaskan cruise for next summer. I have been on one cruise (Carnival Magic, Mexico and Jamaica, Nov 2011) and will be going on my second in a few days (Carnival Magic, Bahamas). The first with best friend and her family, second one with my mom. Hubby isn't interested.. he's got a tiny problem with not being able to see land. LOL

But he's willing to get on the boat for an Alaskan Cruise. My question is, which month? Is there one that is less likely to be rainy? I'm not a big fan of cold, but know it will be on this trip, but as warm as possible would be nice.

Also, I'm a teacher, so it's gotta be from mid June to mid August... any suggestions or advice? We haven't picked a ship or line yet, but from what I have read, I'm leaning towards Princess.

If weather is your booking priority, then you need to consider elsewhere. :)

There is NO "best" time. You have to be well prepared for a wide range of weather. July is NOT any more likely to have "good" weather.

There is no way to predict weather in Alaska. You will get what you get. I've cruised all the time frames, multiple times, through out the season. No sure time frames.

Instead you may want to look at how you want to occupy your port times and what activities you wish to do. Then book based on peak timeframes, depending on your tour choices.

I've heard from Alaskan locals that May and June are the driest months in Alaska. Having said that, it can rain anytime.

Based on your requirements, I would recommend you go right after school is out. There is nothing like being in the north on the longest day of the year! This past May, it was dusky in Anchorage at 12:30 am...

For someone from Houston, you're likely going to be cold, in Alaska, no matter what time of year you cruise.

I talked to a store owner in Skagway last month. She said last 2 weeks of July .....1st week of August usually are best time..but it's Alaska..so be ready for rain. Hope you are able to cruise to Alaska..its an amazing cruising destination!

This is my usual time frame, and I've had pretty decent weather. My first cruise was earlier in July, and it was cooler and wetter. One of my cruises was mid-August and it was also cooler and wetter. My main reason for choosing end of July is that my anniversary is July 25, but we've been pretty darn lucky with the weather at that time. Then again, I'm from the Seattle area, so any time it doesn't rain all week is decent weather as far as I'm concerned. :D

Then again, I'm from the Seattle area, so any time it doesn't rain all week is decent weather as far as I'm concerned. :D

Sherry,

I'm down here near Longview,WA. It's easy to get moss growing on your body in this part of Washington:eek: As you know....winter can be be long, wet and depressingicon9.gif

like others said I wouldn't pick based on when you think it won't rain. I've been to Alaska in the month of July 3 times and once in August and it's rained every time.

you are almost guaranteed any week of the summer to have rain at some point during your cruise to Alaska.

I would choose dates based on what works best for your schedule or if you're celebrating something.

weather aside there are some reasons to go in July or early August. like the salmon runs will start in July through mid August. with that you can usually find bears and eagles and other wildlife along some of the Salmon creeks and rivers. if you're traveling from out of town and heading out of Seattle or Vancouver July and August are usually a nice time to visit those cities.

I would research things that interest you like if seeing whales or bears or salmon interest you or if there's a certain tour you want and then you can go from there as far as when those tend to be the best time of year.

is having more daylight is important to you than you want to go closer to the summer solstice.

I really feel with Alaska you can't go wrong, it's gorgeous year round. and any week you pick you can have hit or miss rain and hit or miss animals.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

May and June typically are the drier months. As summer progresses so does the rain. I've been once in June and a few times in July and August and always get rain. August was the worst ... only 3 days of 14 w/o rain.

If weather is your priority, i'd go for the earliest date in your timeframe.

Having said that .... weather is unpredictable in Alaska and the PAcific NW. The end of June might be sunny and 80,or. raining and 50. You get what you get.

You can find historical data on various weather sites, like http://www.wunderground.com. Plug in the name of a town and select the same date for 5 different yrs

As everyone has said, the weather is unpredictable in Alaska.

I used this site to figure out what was statistically the best time, from "The Amount of Rain" point of view.

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/climate.php?stnid=PAFC&mon=7&yr=2013&obs=true&normals=true&extremes=true&precip=true

When we went last year from June 26th to July 14th on an Alaska/Yukon CruiseTour we had exceptional weather. It rained lightly for 2 of them and poured in the morning while we were in Ketchican. Our waterproof jackets proved very useful that day.

I've heard from Alaskan locals that May and June are the driest months in Alaska. Having said that, it can rain anytime.

Based on your requirements, I would recommend you go right after school is out. There is nothing like being in the north on the longest day of the year! This past May, it was dusky in Anchorage at 12:30 am...

For someone from Houston, you're likely going to be cold, in Alaska, no matter what time of year you cruise.

I agree 100% with this post. I'm in Juneau now and have been here for almost 2 weeks. Although it has rained 7 out of the last 10 days I've been here, my friends who are locals always tell me May and June are typically driest.

We had a nice sunny 65 degree day on Monday but otherwise, it's only been in the 50s every day. It chilly, but great weather if you like to take strenuous hikes. Today was mostly sunny and hiking Mt Roberts was awesome.

schools on the west coast get out mid June. thinking a lot of Alaska travelers are from this coast.

Our room we have booked triples four weeks later after kids are out of school. (thus why i'm taking my kids out)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Sherry,

I'm down here near Longview,WA. It's easy to get moss growing on your body in this part of Washington:eek: As you know....winter can be be long, wet and depressingicon9.gif

Yep, but it makes us more prepared for Alaska. We are used to just throwing on a rain jacket and going on with life. :cool:

We are cruising to Alaska one month from today to celebrate my son's high school graduation. Initially he talked about going to Disneyland for his graduation trip, until I pointed out how hot it would be in July. He has previously been in May, with his school band, and complained about how hot it was the whole time. It was mid-70s. :rolleyes:

As others have already shared, the weather is unpredictable. Best suggestion is to be prepared for anything so the weather doesn't keep you from enjoying being outside on the ship or in port!

For your first Alaska cruise, I highly recommend an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. Also, a northbound or southbound itinerary will generally have you cruising closer to land for more of the cruise (compared, for instance, to the RT Seattle itinerary). Princess is our preferred cruise line--July 5th we'll board the Golden Princess for our 8th Alaska cruise (it's become an addiction of which we hope never to be cured!).

Whenever you go and whatever itinerary you choose, I hope you and your hubby enjoy glorious Alaska as much as my hubby and I do!

This year: May was dry.

June is glug....wet. Windy. Fallish. El nino ish. Warm ocean waters are being mean to us...

Yep, I was on a cruise in May for 3 weeks with only 1 day of rain, and that was a sea day. :) No rain in "Alaska".

So the last couple weeks have been not ideal?

I have been once in early August and only experienced a half day of rain, while we were hiking but you're in Alaska si it's all good. The second time was in early Sept and again only one day of torrential down pour in Sitka but it stopped right away. Ketchikan on both trips was a balmy 80 degrees. So you can experience a wide range of weather. Just prepare for it. A good water resistant jacket works good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I know that the OP can't go during the school year, but FYI for others, we have gone twice in September and the weather has been wonderful both times. Just to show how unpredictable Alaska weather can be. We like Sept. As there are fewer crowds, fewer children, and usually good bargains.