Desert Menus and other

1153rsmith

I have seen a few copies of Dinner menus but have not seen any desert menus. What sort of deserts does Princess serve? Anything like cherries jubilee, or warm chocolate melting cake?

I have read something about buffets being served on deck for the Alaskan cruises. Is this accurate, and if so, what sort of food is served on the buffet?

What drinks are complimentary on the cruise? Tea? Lemonade? coffee? hot chocolate?

Does anyone know if the tea is from a syrup or is it brewed on the ship? On most of our cruises thus far, my wife has just requested hot tea and a glass of ice and brewed her own at the table because the stuff the ship made was less than desirable. The Disney Wonder the past year was the one exception so far.

What sort of activities are on board for sea days?

Deserts? Just the usual: Sahara, Atacama, Gobi . . . Sorry; couldn't resist.

ry this thread; I think she included dessert menus:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1887473

Their "signature" dessert is the Love Boat Dream, a flourless chocolate cake on a crust. Very nice. On the menu every night, as well as Creme Brulee and, I think, Cheesecake. I love the Key Lime Pie; they do an outstanding Opera Cake. And the souffles are usually excellent.

Tea, coffee, iced tea, lemonade in the buffet -- all complimentary. Juice at breakfast. Milk I wouldn't know about, not being a child. Hot chocolate, don't know as I don't drink it.

Re iced tea: yes, it's syrup-based. Here's my hint (although I, too, have "brewed" my own on occasion, but sometimes, you just want to get on with things!): mix the iced tea half-and-half with water. It tastes nearly perfect. And if you're a lemon person, they only have little pinwheel slices of lemon out near the tea, which are impossible to squeeze juice from. However, if you look around the buffet (sometimes near the salad, sometimes near the action pasta station), you can find real wedges for your tea.

Seems to me, they had a child menu for desserts and I was told to try a chocolate mess from there. I think it was called a volcano or something. The staff were fine with supplying to a child at heart. It was a bit much, but the kiddos might like all that sugar.

Hot chocolate is complimentary when your purchase a Coffee Card (is that what they're called?? I can't remember), you just need to present it when you order. Otherwise, you will need to pay for hot chocolate.

I am quite sure that Princess also brews their tea, but I have only been on cruises based in Australia so far (which seem to differ from those based in the US - so I've been told).

Deserts? Just the usual: Sahara, Atacama, Gobi . . . Sorry; couldn't resist.

A student once told me this trick to remember how to spell "dessert." It has two of the letter "s" because dessert is twice as nice. Really, I should have been telling her that,;) but I still remember it every time I need to spell the word.

A student once told me this trick to remember how to spell "dessert." It has two of the letter "s" because dessert is twice as nice. Really, I should have been telling her that,;) but I still remember it every time I need to spell the word.

I have heard that trick.... and I honestly do know how to spell it... I just got in a hurry and I can't seem to find an edit button anywhere to fix my goof.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful information. Everytime we have sailed with a new cruiseline I have the same type of questions.

Seems to me, they had a child menu for desserts and I was told to try a chocolate mess from there. I think it was called a volcano or something. The staff were fine with supplying to a child at heart. It was a bit much, but the kiddos might like all that sugar.

It's the Princess Volcano. It's only listed on the child's menu, but you can just order it by name from the waiter. It's a great Banana Split if you love those. They are good!

I surprised our table mates on our last cruise by ordering the Volcano. None of them had heard of it. I had heard of it here on CC and decided I wanted to see what it was like. It was larger than the "regular" deserts that are on the adult menu but I ate it all. It was very tasty. I don't know if I will ever order it again but I won't say for sure. I hope to have many more cruises and can't predict what I will feel, Ike having for dessert (although I do forsee quite a bit of Creme Brule in my future). ::rolleyes:

Whether I have the Volcano again or not I'm very happy that I tried it. I love cruising!!! :D

In 2012 in Alaska there was complementary hot chocolate all day in the HC with no card needed. Don't know if that is true this year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am hoping that is the case currently. I have been on 3 different cruise lines so far and all had complimentary iced tea, lemonade, coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate available 24 hours a day.

My son loves hot chocolate and will even drink it when we are in the caribbean.

I am hoping that is the case currently. I have been on 3 different cruise lines so far and all had complimentary iced tea, lemonade, coffee, hot tea and hot chocolate available 24 hours a day.

My son loves hot chocolate and will even drink it when we are in the caribbean.

You could always toss a couple of instant hot chocolate packets into your suitcase, some of them are very good.

Their "signature" dessert is the Love Boat Dream, a flourless chocolate cake on a crust.
The Love Boat Dream is a chocolate mousse on a thin brownie crunch. Some pastry chefs make it better than others.

It's the Princess Volcano. It's only listed on the child's menu, but you can just order it by name from the waiter. It's a great Banana Split if you love those. They are good!

DH loves this. He just tells the waiter he wants the Banana Split on the Kid's Dessert Menu. :D

LuLu

It's been ten years since our Alaskan cruise so I don't remember if there was a deck buffet. On our last couple of Hawaiian cruises (2010/11 and 2012/13), there was a luncheon buffet on some of the sea days right outside the Horizon Court (which is the name of the buffet dining room) with various themes -- Asian food, Mexican food, even a tropical dessert one (featuring many tropical fruits too).

There's a whole slate of activities that will be on the sea days. How many will depend on your cruise director.