Formal nights

On my last 2 cruises (Celebrity and RCI ) many men came to the MDR in dress shirts and slack. Several came with shorts .Is this the norm in 2014?

Yes. This is "the norm" - "many men" in dress shirts and slacks, and "several" in shorts. Simple question, it's all you asked, and my answer is YES.

and some do not know the meaning of suggestion

And some will just insist that because it's their money and their vacation, they'll do whatever the heck they want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

And some will just insist that because it's their money and their vacation, they'll do whatever the heck they want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Pretty good argument....assuming that what they do is within the rules and doesn't adversely affect others in a tangible way.

Edited by comxkid

Actually, this is business attire in Bermuda, NOT formal attire.

You are wrong Carol having lived in Bermuda for 5 years, and being male, I speak with experience. Attended many a function (non business) where this was actually formal attire.

Those wearing trousers actually looked out of place:)

Even Prince William took the plunge and wore his shorts and long socks at one

Of the do's...

It can also be worn for business as well, just like trousers can.

Potatoes, tomatoes!!!

Actually they are considered formal by Bermudan standards, although not always recognized as such by the rest of the world.

The popular Bermuda Shorts, that are up to the knee length and are often treated as casuals elsewhere in the world, are considered quite reserved clothing and even as a formal attire in Bermuda.

Quoted from Bermuda Formal Attire search:) (and yes have been there on business)

Well, when it comes to the formal wear as in case of formal attire in Bermuda, the shorts would typically need to be accompanied by a pair of long socks, a pair of black or dark brown shoes, a buttoned down formal short sleeves shirt, a formal tie, a blazer or a linen jacket that contrasts with the shorts. The best socks are Bermuda Hose that are of knee length and imported. The best shoes are loafers with tassels that are imported from the USA.

Bow tie not required..

All joking apart, I dress up in MDR, for my ladies.. Once dinner is over, straight back into my formal Bermudian wear:D