Seeking advice - which cruise to choose?

Hi

Please see the following detailed info. I am looking for any info that will help me make a decision. I also want to know which is the better ship, service, food etc....

I am interested in photography and I dont really party. I am interested in scenery as photography is my idea of a vacation.

I am going by my lself.

Option 1: Royal Carribbean Explorer of the Seas,

14 nights departing January 28, 2016 on

Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas

ITINERARY

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Thu Jan 28 Sydney, Australia 7:00pm

Fri Jan 29 At Sea

Sat Jan 30 At Sea

Sun Jan 31 Milford Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)

Sun Jan 31 Doubtful Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)

Sun Jan 31 Dusky Sound, New Zealand (Cruising)

Mon Feb 1 Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand 8:00am 6:00pm

Tue Feb 2 At Sea

Wed Feb 3 Picton, New Zealand 8:00am 6:00pm

Thu Feb 4 Wellington, New Zealand 8:00am 6:00pm

Fri Feb 5 Napier, New Zealand 8:00am 1:00pm

Sat Feb 6 Tauranga, New Zealand 7:30am 6:00pm

Sun Feb 7 Auckland, New Zealand 7:00am 6:00pm

Mon Feb 8 Bay of Islands, New Zealand 8:00am 6:00pm

Tue Feb 9 At Sea

Wed Feb 10 At Sea

Thu Feb 11 Sydney, Australia

Option 2;

12 nights departing January 11, 2016 on

Princess' Diamond Princess

ITINERARY

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART

Mon Jan 11 Sydney, Australia 4:00pm

Tue Jan 12 At Sea

Wed Jan 13 At Sea

Thu Jan 14 Auckland, New Zealand Noon 9:00pm

Fri Jan 15 Tauranga, New Zealand 7:00am 6:00pm

Sat Jan 16 At Sea

Sun Jan 17 Wellington, New Zealand 8:00am 6:00pm

Mon Jan 18 Akaroa, New Zealand 7:00am 5:00pm

Tue Jan 19 Dunedin (Port Chalmers), New Zealand 7:00am 5:00pm

Wed Jan 20 Fiordland National Park, New Zealand (Cruising) 7:00am 5:00pm

Thu Jan 21 At Sea

Fri Jan 22 At Sea

Sat Jan 23 Sydney, Australia 7:00am

Well, the first one gives you Napier and Bay of Islands extra, which are both photogenic choices, to tie in with your interests.

One visits Picton, the other Akaroa, so that's even. I'd prefer Akaroa, but both give you different choices, it's not that one's better than the other.

Then the only other differences are the ships. Both are larger, but Princess is a bit more refined, whereas Explorer is bolder with a lot more activities. Both are good, but they're just different. Princess is graded slightly higher than RCL for food and service as the tradeoff for the extra activities, but it's not a massive difference.

Based on your preferences, because of the extra ports, I'd go for Explorer. But I think you'd equally enjoy Diamond if other factors swung you that way.

Edited by The_Big_M

Napier is famous for its "Art Decor" style buildings which were built following the big earthquake in 1931 and would provide some good photo opportunities. On the other hand the Diamond Princess would seem to suit you better as Voyager has lots of large Disney characters and a skating rink etc more suited to the younger more active people.

Whichever one you select, New Zealand will provide fantastic photo opportunities, from the thermal area of Rotorua to the scenic beauty of the Otago Peninsula and Doubtful and Milford Sounds.

I'd go for the first one purely based on the itinerary.

I'm not sure of the weather around NZ in January but we went in Dec a couple yrs ago and missed getting into Napier, Doubtful and Dusky Sounds due to rough bad weather.

When you speak of scenic photography, what sort of scenery are you hoping to see?

I only ask because I do worry that people hoping to see what I consider to be NZ's most scenic places, will be disappointed if they try to do it on a cruise.

Both of those itinerarys will allow you to see NZ's cities and coastline, so if you are interested in this type of scenery, great; both those itinerarys will suit you well. (My preference would be for the one that visit The Bay of Islands). The same applies if you just love cruising in general and would be happy travelling anywhere by ship.

However, if you are interested in lakes and mountains you may be better to consider a coach tour instead (or even better, hire a car and drive yourself). I love photography as well, and have pretty much travelled like a tourist to every part of my country. My favourite places for NZ scenery include the road from Christchurch to Wanaka (Lake Pukaki, Mt Cook/Aoraki, and Lake Tekapo), Lake Matheson, Wanaka, Arrowtown, Arthur's Pass, and the road into Milford Sound (as opposed to the fiord itself). There are also some pretty impressive waterfalls and coastlines in the Catlins.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but I do think that when it comes to NZ, it's worth investigating all your options to make sure you are going to see what you are expecting. :)

Both are great but I think the itinerary of the RCI slightly beats the Princess cruise. As you are into the photography, then ship board activities and demographics will not matter Most likely the price (as you are by yourself) may be the biggest denominator here.:D

I'm looking at doing the rci cruise in January 2016.

Remember the ocean is rough at this time of year.

I have cruised both rci & princess and loved the RCI cruise more than the princess. Princess has an older crowd where as rci was younger more family orientated. Depends on what you like. Food better on princess.

Cruised to NZ on princess 5 years ago & loved it.

Both cruise lines are very very good. Try to go out of school holidays

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am also contemplating a new zealand cruise but am unsure.....I look at the itinararies and keep thinking to myself ...new zealand is so small why are there som many stops at one smallish island.....can some of the cruisers familiar with this ares tell me...is it really that different at each stop?....I don't want to be seeing the same things every day...but, then I think...the lines would not run so many cruises to new zealand if it did not have something going for it......any help would be appreciated

Hi,

I am also contemplating a new zealand cruise but am unsure.....I look at the itinararies and keep thinking to myself ...new zealand is so small why are there som many stops at one smallish island.....can some of the cruisers familiar with this ares tell me...is it really that different at each stop?....I don't want to be seeing the same things every day...but, then I think...the lines would not run so many cruises to new zealand if it did not have something going for it......any help would be appreciated

The stops are all different. Here are the usual ports -

Bay of Islands - lovely scenery.

Auckland - medium size city in scenic location also with lots to see in the area.

Tauranga - mainly used as a base to travel to Rotorua where there is a lot of thermal activity (hot mud pool, geysers etc.) and also Maori cultural shows. Other activities as well.

Napier - Small city rebuilt in mid 1930s in art deco style. Very lovely.

Wellington - capital with a lot to see. Highlights - Te Papa Museum, Parliament House, rose gardens.

South Island -

Akaroa - attractive small town in a stunning location on a former volcanic caldera. Some water-based activities. This port is used instead of Lyttleton (for Christchurch).

Dunedin - Tieri Gorge railway trip from here is good. Otherwise Banks Peninsula and local area (Lanarch Castle, brewery, chocolate factory)

Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound etc - a day of stunning scenic cruising.

Am partial to Royal but based on itinerary alone, i would go with Explorer. Also take a look at Legend of the Seas from Brisbane to NZ R/T on 25 Jan 16. this is also an excellent itinerary on a smaller ship and have tentative booking on this cruise.

Late January/Feb would be better weather than early Jan based on past reports.

Picton and surrounding waterway is also very picturesque plus you have some excellent nearby vineyards.

Hi,

Firstly NZ isn't as small as you think ;), and there are two main islands plus a number of small ones. Not sure where you are from so I can't give you anything to compare it with. However the scenery is different all around the country and quite spectacular in parts. That's why it is so popular for cruises.