Recent Poor Reviews -Has Something Really Changed

dag144

I have not been on the CB, but have been on the Diamond and the Grand earlier this year. Was everything absolutely perfect? Nope. Did we still have a wonderful time? You bet and I'm sad that I have to wait until next June for another cruise. Desserts? I thought there was a nice variety of choice each night in addition to the always available menu. And if that wasn't enough, I thoroughly took advantage of the IC on the Grand! What's not to like?

Best kept dessert secret? Ice cream and all the possibilities thereof. When I don't see any dessert that tickles my fancy, I improvise. My favorites are vanilla ice cream with strawberries or strawberry sauce and a dollop of real whipped cream. I also like vanilla and chocolate with chocolate sauce. When I'm feeling daring I order vanilla, chocolate and if available strawberry ice cream with sauce (chocolate, strawberry and occasionally blueberries), a banana and LOTS of whipped cream. Yum Yum!

I used to look forward to creme brulee on the menu. Now that it's always available, it doesn't seem quite as special. I'll usually order it once during a cruise, but most of the time I get the fresh fruit plate.

What Im saying is that some pax will find the most mundane things to bitch about no matter what ship or line. Okay, sometimes I get annoyed but then realise heh i'm on vacation and those unfortunates back home are still working!:) Then I'll find a bar and have a beer or 2. (Oh no the prices might have increased:rolleyes: how do I smuggle booze onboard? Tongue firmly in cheek:D)

I'm with Avcruz....any cruise over no cruise!

Enjoy your 50 plus cruise.

Paul

This just made me smile.... thanks Paul. Yes, cruising is not the same as it was 15 years ago - but the ships are more 'entertaining' and the price is actually much less (given inflation and all). Still an excellent way to relax and have fun. I'm still working (yikes!), so it is great to put the computer and cell phone to sleep and just relax and enjoy life for a week or two. But, I suppose I'm just young and inexperienced. I like the Princess ships and have sailed on them about 18 times or so - and will continue to do so (lack of dessert choices and all - although I've not had that issue.....).

i was on the cb last summer (transatlantic)

Me, too. Food was good. Cabin was clean and comfortable. Staff was cheerful and efficient. I pay very little attention to reviews. It's usually the people who have something to complain about who write them in the first place.

If you're looking for something special (and since you have that nice balcony :p), book the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. I believe that it'll be $100 for two, but well worth it.

That's your best choice:D. Before your special day, some one will come to show you possible menu choices, although I imagine you can ask for anything you would like. That evening room service brings in a chairs and a table and sets it nicely. Flowers arrive, and a photographer comes and takes several pictures, one of which is included in the price. You can choose a cocktail, hors d'oeuvres are provided. Dinner is brought in courses, and there is a half bottle of champagne. We had a delicious salad followed by surf and turf, which was excellent. The chocolate dessert was to die for, and specialty coffee was available.

I personally feel that, at least in the USA these days, there are more and more complainers about things. Turn on any cable news program or read the comments of an online news article, and you can hear or read the constant complaining going on, more often without actual solutions. And there are more people who like to complain very loudly, use bad language, or make personal attacks when they know they can do so anonymously. Also, part of the problem is that people expect a premium experience for an economy price. Myself, even after one cruise, I am already more fortunate than 99.9% of the people on Earth, so I keep that in mind before I feel the urge to whine and complain about a stain on the carpet or having 2 dessert choices instead of 6. Opportunities to improve stated in the form of helpful suggestions are different than complaining, in my view, and should be made in the evaluation emailed to all passengers. Also, it is helpful to take a deep breath and examine the source of one's bad experience, because often it has a lot to do with the person who is unhappy. Just my thoughts.....

Well I'm not a whiner, but do notice a difference on that ship. Perhaps it's the demographic on that itinerary? I don't know. Some people whine...and I avoid them like the plague.

I personally feel that, at least in the USA these days, there are more and more complainers about things. Turn on any cable news program or read the comments of an online news article, and you can hear or read the constant complaining going on, more often without actual solutions. And there are more people who like to complain very loudly, use bad language, or make personal attacks when they know they can do so anonymously. Also, part of the problem is that people expect a premium experience for an economy price. Myself, even after one cruise, I am already more fortunate than 99.9% of the people on Earth, so I keep that in mind before I feel the urge to whine and complain about a stain on the carpet or having 2 dessert choices instead of 6. Opportunities to improve stated in the form of helpful suggestions are different than complaining, in my view, and should be made in the evaluation emailed to all passengers. Also, it is helpful to take a deep breath and examine the source of one's bad experience, because often it has a lot to do with the person who is unhappy. Just my thoughts.....

Couldn't agree more.

We were on the Diamond last year, anytime dining, table of 6. One couple continually complained through out dinner.

For instance: Their suite is smaller than the one on the QE2 (what does a suite even look like, we always go inside, means we're able to afford more cruises)

The entertainment isn't up to much.

The food on board, from the cafe, Horizon Court and MDR is very mediocre.

Wouldn't tip due to the lack of service.

I could go on! And on!

The ironic thing is that they both went through the menu leaving nothing on their plates. AND then apologised because they had to leave so they wouldn't miss the show.

The other couple at our table were as dumbfounded as we were. But gratefull they left.;) We avoided them in the future as a ship should an iceberg!

Just can't please some people.

Paul

I am always amazed at how much people complain. You are on vacation folks so you are not working. Relax and have a great time. I just try to focus on the positive and ignore the whiners.

Haven't been on the Caribbean Princess yet but hope to in the future.........would like to try a cruise on all the Princess ships! I think those folks that feel fortunate enough to take a cruise enjoy the cruise what ever the circumstances may be! We do!

We can all now afford the price of a cruise.:D

I remember when my pals and I were invited to spend the day on the Pacific Princess in the 1970's only the wealthy could afford.

When one compares with food prices in restaurants on shore for the quality of food on Princess there is no comparison. most folks would not be able to afford fine waiter served dining.

I myself are a picky diner who prefers the low salt meals and Princess has always gone out of their way to please.If one wants a special dish that is not listed on the menu,give them 24 hours notice and it will be made for you.:)

We were on the CB last November and found her to be a great ship. The Cruise director was a bit of a jerk, but that was minor. Overall, I did not see her as an ailing ship at all. I found the crew to be great and service was very good.

As with everything, there are always mistakes and problems. If you choose to focus on the occasional mistake, you may end up having a miserable cruise.

It is the old "half-full half-empty" situation. Some people only loo at the negative-sometimes they go out of their way to find it. Others, like me, tend to not see minor flaws and just enjoy the ride.

And so it goes....

• 2 months later...

My first cruise ever was on the CB in 2005 so I guess if she is 10 years old she was pretty new then. I was hooked. I am so happy to be sailing her again in about six weeks.

If there is only one desert on the menu I hope it's the love boat dream! I could eat that for five night and be very happy!

I do not ever remember seeing dessert soufflés on the menu every night?

I don't think anyone mentioned the creme brûlée? For me, when they added that to the Always Available menu, that was nirvana. There are also a lot of nice desserts available in the international cafe for a late sweet and coffee.

What? You mean there are other deserts besides the crème brûlée? WHY? As for the souflee offerings - they are OK but don't get me very excited. I tend to stick with the crème brûlée. It...Is...GOOD! :D

I will be on a one week Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess leaving July 5th. This will be my seventh Princess cruise and my 50th cruise overall. I have always enjoyed cruising and really never have been disappointed with a single cruise. However, I have been reading recent reviews (June 2014) most of which have complaints about the ship. I know that one can read two reviews of the same cruise and get two very different impressions, but is the Caribbean Princess that far gone. Is that why she is doing one weekers out Fort Lauderdale this summer.

Love to here from you.

PS I suspect that I will thoroughly enjoy myself!

Forget about reviews. Ignore them and make up your own mind. Your past history tells you the truth.

In a lot of cases reviews are written by loonies with a lot of time on their hands with nothing better to do whose lives are so dull that they must find something to complain about. It is much like military inspections where you get the deranged senior officers walk in, lick their finger and run their finger along a ridge, ledge or something head high and out of the way, pick up a few sprinkles of dust and proclaim the inspection an almighty fail.

I don't read reviews and I don't post reviews. They are useless and to be perfectly honest who really is a credible person to review a ship? Even the likes of Douglas Ward the self proclaimed worlds most foremost authority on cruising publishes reviews that in my opinion a useful four letter word could describe. The Berlitz books he publishes present him as an incredible snob who frowns upon lines like Princess. Believe it or not Douglas Ward once wrote in one of his books that one of his pet peeves about cruising were "passengers who sport tattoos"

So just forget about the reviews and have a good time. You don't know who wrote them or what these people who write reviews are like.

These types of forums are only useful for information gathering. Reviews should be ignored.

We were on the Caribbean Princess for a Western Caribbean (with Cdngrl) and a NY to Houston via Southern Caribbean trip this last year.

We are again booked to sail on her for a Transatlantic next year.

I have no idea where people get the opinion she is different than other comparable Princess ships, as the experience for us has been great. Certainly the demographics are slightly different for different itineraries, but that has not been a problem. The only negative we've experienced is the putting green vs. a mini-golf course on Crown Princess. Food and desserts are great.

We have been on other ships with Norovirus, but that is a function of what people bring onboard ship with them (I am convinced many contract it on airplanes). So far, with following the health recommendations, no problem. And I appreciate it when they serve food in the Horizon Court, as that lowers the risk of cross-contamination. Princess does an excellent job controlling the issue.