Avalon One Bag Restriction

Squire5000

In reviewing our documents, we note that Avalon has a one bag restriction for baggage plus a hand held carry on. My wife was planning on bringing a wheeled carry on that meets the airline's overhead bin limitations in addition to the checked bag. Does Avalon really enforce these limitations that would require her to abandon the wheeled carryon?

My husband and I traveled with one checked suitcase, two wheeled carry-ons, and two shoulder bags and all of our luggage fitted comfortably under the bed. I had the impression from their literature that the restrictions applied to those doing the pre or post excursions. We did not do the Avalon pre or post trip excursions and made our own transfer arrangements, so the luggage wasn't an issue.

In reviewing our documents, we note that Avalon has a one bag restriction for baggage plus a hand held carry on. My wife was planning on bringing a wheeled carry on that meets the airline's overhead bin limitations in addition to the checked bag. Does Avalon really enforce these limitations that would require her to abandon the wheeled carryon?

Nobody is going to say anything but keep in mind that the cabin space is limited and you store your luggage under the bed. Also, your wife will learn that on River Cruises pax are not concerned with dressing up. There are several days when I noticed folks wearing the same clothes for touring as to dinner. My hubby and I are each taking an airline regulated carry-on size. That is enough. I launder our undergarments in the sink, and if need be send items to be laundered to the cruise laundry. Having less luggage is liberating. And we actually check our carry-on size suitcases, it is a hassle dealing with them.

Nobody is going to say anything but keep in mind that the cabin space is limited and you store your luggage under the bed. Also, your wife will learn that on River Cruises pax are not concerned with dressing up. There are several days when I noticed folks wearing the same clothes for touring as to dinner. My hubby and I are each taking an airline regulated carry-on size. That is enough. I launder our undergarments in the sink, and if need be send items to be laundered to the cruise laundry. Having less luggage is liberating. And we actually check our carry-on size suitcases, it is a hassle dealing with them.

Boy I wish I could pack this way!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do the other river cruise companies have the same restrictions for their transfers? We are doing the Ama transfer from Prague to Nuremberg.

Al the ones that we have traveled with have a one checked bag limit.

When I booked directly with Avalon for 2015 she said a bag and a tote but the tote could not have wheels as it must go in small overhead area of bus. Darn, I just bought a great new wheeled tote.

Boy I wish I could pack this way!!!

You can do it Nana! It all started one time when we had to catch an overseas flight but time was very tight because we had a mandatory appointment somewhere else. So we decided just to go with the wheeled carryon and our printed at home boarding passes so that would save time checking in, just in case. Turned out we had plenty of time to spare but it taught us we can live with just what we have in our wheeled carryons. Plus that time was an NCL ocean cruise. Black pants and different tops get lots of mileage.:D

You can do it Nana! It all started one time when we had to catch an overseas flight but time was very tight because we had a mandatory appointment somewhere else. So we decided just to go with the wheeled carryon and our printed at home boarding passes so that would save time checking in, just in case. Turned out we had plenty of time to spare but it taught us we can live with just what we have in our wheeled carryons. Plus that time was an NCL ocean cruise. Black pants and different tops get lots of mileage.:D

I am sure I am not the last big time over packer! And every time I swear I'll do better next time....ok so I WILL do better next time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The one checked bag isn't a problem, I am concerned about the carry on. Will we be able to bring a standard wheeled carry-on if we use Ama's transfers.

The one checked bag isn't a problem, I am concerned about the carry on. Will we be able to bring a standard wheeled carry-on if we use Ama's transfers.

Yes. My carry on is a small one with wheels. It went under the bus, in the cargo hold, after all the larger suitcases were put in. It would never fit in the tiny overhead space on the bus;not much does 😳. You will be amazed at what people do bring, even when told that they are not supposed to. Don't worry about it.

I think I could pull off an American carry on size but European size & weight is a whole different story. They weigh the carry ons!!! It was crazy, I was so glad we flew up front....

Edited by nana541

Yes. My carry on is a small one with wheels. It went under the bus, in the cargo hold, after all the larger suitcases were put in. It would never fit in the tiny overhead space on the bus;not much does 😳. You will be amazed at what people do bring, even when told that they are not supposed to. Don't worry about it.

Thanks!:)

No problem. We take as much as the airlines allow: 2 large wheeled checked bags and 2 wheeled carryons that just fit in the overhead bins on the newer planes and 2 "personal" carryons that we stash under the seat. The AMA transfer folks didn't pay any attention to what people were bringing, and everything fit under our bed just fine.

No problem. We take as much as the airlines allow: 2 large wheeled checked bags and 2 wheeled carryons that just fit in the overhead bins on the newer planes and 2 "personal" carryons that we stash under the seat. The AMA transfer folks didn't pay any attention to what people were bringing, and everything fit under our bed just fine.

Great to know! Sounds like we will just be limited by what Lufthansa and Swiss (and their codeshare carriers) allow their coach passengers.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. After the initial panic passed, my wife concluded she could do with just one large bag and a small tote. No fancy clothes for this trip, plus I don't have to bring a suit/sport jacket!!! I'm liking this river cruising already and we haven't even left yet!!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. After the initial panic passed, my wife concluded she could do with just one large bag and a small tote. No fancy clothes for this trip, plus I don't have to bring a suit/sport jacket!!! I'm liking this river cruising already and we haven't even left yet!!

My hubby won't even consider a large cruise ship now. You're going to love it.

If you have not flown in the last couple of months, do re-check the allowance on all the flights you will be taking as there have been some changes recently on some of the US based carriers which has reduced the size of the allowed carry-on and some others are more strictly enforcing the limits they already had.

If connecting to an EU based flight then just be aware as mentioned above, that it is quite common to have low weight limits for carry-on bags.

I believe that Avalon is trying to limit the luggage because of porterage fees paid at hotels, as well as ensuring there is enough space on the coach to the ship. I worked in a hotel for many years and it is frustrating when your gratuities are based upon 105 bags but in reality you just pull 140 off a bus.

The AMA cruise documents clearly state up to one (1) suitcase (embarktion section). Additional baggage will be subject to excess baggage charges.

I always bring a small rolling carryon with medications, cameras, change of clothing, etc., in addition to my regular checked bag.

If they decide to charge for it, I will pay.

I do wonder about the space on the transfer bus though and I don't see anything additional regarding transfers.