Things that HAL could improve on....

RMLincoln

We love cruising on HAL and have cruised more on HAL than any other line. But having enjoyed many cruises on other lines we find that HAL could learn some things.

For instance:

We were impressed with Celebrity's face recognition kiosks for photo searches. So much easier to find your photos, so much less wasteful and more environmentally conscientious, and so much less crowded, all making for a much more pleasant experience for us.

And not having to stand in line at the Front Desk to get a copy of your statement by using Princess's print out kiosk or Carnival's or Celebrity's interactive TV system.

What comes to your mind? Maybe our suggestions would be noticed;). m--

1) Up the food game. Better food in the main dining room. I really feel its declined over the years to the point I really don't have much desire to eat there anymore. More and better specialty restaurants. The Pinnacle Grille is great, but Canaletto is a major disappointment. I would love to try Tamarind, but haven't been on that class ship yet. Dump the under used Northern Lights disco and add another restaurant option.

2) Better entertainment. How about an interesting band in the Crows Nest in the evenings. Maybe a blues or jazz combo. Or a cover band playing classic rock. The Crows nest is dreadfully boring in the evenings. On one cruise, the feature show performer, Joel Mason, joined some of the other musicians on board for a supposedly unplanned classic rock "jam session". It was great and the place was jam packed until the wee hours. Everyone seemed to love it. Hint!

Those are really my only two real complaints. Although, a better wine list with sensible pricing would be a much welcome change.

We love cruising on HAL and have cruised more on HAL than any other line. But having enjoyed many cruises on other lines we find that HAL could learn some things.

For instance:

We were impressed with Celebrity's face recognition kiosks for photo searches. So much easier to find your photos, so much less wasteful and more environmentally conscientious, and so much less crowded, all making for a much more pleasant experience for us.

And not having to stand in line at the Front Desk to get a copy of your statement by using Princess's print out kiosk or Carnival's or Celebrity's interactive TV system.

What comes to your mind? Maybe our suggestions would be noticed;). m--

I will select HAL every time if they provide itinerary I want. Having said that, here are some things I like about other lines:

- The thermal suites on many NCL ship are far better than what HAL offers. I'd like to see more exotic showers, Jacuzzis, pools, steam rooms, etc.

- More late night adult entertainment and I'm not talking discos here. On both NCL and Princess there are often cabaret style shows in one of the larger bars at 11 pm. Often these are the entertainers who performed in the showroom the night before.

- In the men's locker room, Celebrity provides disposal razors and shaving cream (no combs, but that would also be nice). I really enjoy taking a sauna and/or steam bath after a long day then showering in a big shower before dinner. It's great if I could shave as well without hauling shaving gear to the locker room.

- This may be blasphemy for HAL fans, but I like Princess MUTS. I don't care for the noise when videos are playing during the day but at night it is a great entertainment alternative. Princess provides blankets if it is cool and serves popcorn, cookies, milk, and pizza during the movie. You just lay there and watch.

I know not everyone agrees, but I'd like to see the muster drill handled more humanely. I have a very bad knee, and standing in the hot sun waiting for everybody to get rounded up so I can see the same instructions I've seen multiple times is the low point of any cruise on HAL.

I wish they allowed you to serve yourself more in the Lido. On a recent Norwegian cruise, I was really impressed with how smoothly and quickly the buffets were managed. And I didn't see any hygienic concerns--and believe me I'm vigilant about that.

I would have said desserts, until our last cruise on the Statendam. What an improvement! Some of the desserts were not merely edible, but in the "very good" range!

HAL has good Mariner rewards, especially a the 4 and 5 star level. I would like to see an improvement on the DELIVERY of these rewards.

For example:

1. a note explaining how the ship (this ship in particular, as opposed to the last one you sailed on) handles priority tendering.

2. Is it priority check-in and priority embarkation, or only one? HAL ships take their pick, with no consistency.

3. Get the accounting for the 2 complimentary Pinnacle dinners correct. This reward has been around now for over a year and some pursers still charge, or charge the price and then credit less that the price.

For 4 stars, some ships charge and do not give the 50% off until you ask.

4. Figure out the complimentary cooking class for 5 stars. If cooking classes are not offered, how is that a "reward" for the 5 stars who want to attend?

End of soap box!

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam, 14 day TA in April. Had very good food and service in the MDR. Menu items better than I have seen on Princess and Celebrity recently. So that was a plus for us. We cruise Princess, Celebrity, Cunard and NCL recently.

The big downer for us this cruise was the entertainment. They had a sole guitar player (think 1960s coffee shop music) the entire 14 days in the Crows Nest. The Crows Nest is one of our favorite venues on HAL, could not stand to stay there 1 minute this last cruise. Bring back the 3 piece combo bands HAL had for years, love them. They could play any tune requested.

We are not fans of the new Blues/Jazz entertainment on board, more bar entertainment. Realize others may enjoy it.

The Flameno act they brought on in Gilbrater was a big disappointment.

This is the first time we thought the entertainment was so bad on HAL.

We don't cruise HAL often, this was our first cruise in 4 years, only 2 star, so we saw a big difference.

Better food availability hours (longer hours for lunch and dinner, earlier hours for breakfast) and keep the burger and pizza places open past 5pm (like until 10 or 11pm).

Online viewing of ship charges instead of having to ask for a print out every time we want to see it.

Muster drill more handicap friendly, I had to push my way through hordes of people to get to our station while on the scooter and the staff had to get people to move and make a space for me to sit and listen.

Dang!

I thought I liked HAL, but maybe not after reading this thread...

Actually - When I am on HAL, I think of it as cruising back in the 80's and don't expect anything too special with the technology etc...

Cruising on HAL is a people thing. If I want technology, entertainment and Glitz - RCI is where I spend spend most of my time.

For simple R&R - then HAL wins.

I wish they allowed you to serve yourself more in the Lido. On a recent Norwegian cruise, I was really impressed with how smoothly and quickly the buffets were managed. And I didn't see any hygienic concerns--and believe me I'm vigilant about that.

I haven't been on HAL yet, but the more I read about this the more I shake my head. From moment one on Disney the buffet is a BUFFET where you serve yourself. And there are a lot more germ pools (kids) on Disney than I predict I will be seeing on HAL. And they pretty consistently get top scores health-wise!

Also shaking my head that your account is not accessible on your stateroom TV. Crazy!!

I know I will badly miss being announced as I board, but that makes Disney special, and will just help me look forward to February that much more

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally agree that the Muster Drill is very difficult for many people. The drill was so long and drawn out on my cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale in May that people were fainting from the heat. On Norwegian those who cannot stand, have respiratory problems, etc. are permitted to sit in the theater after checking in at their station.

Yes! Please extend Lido hours. Pax often return from excursions in midafternoon cold, wet, hungry, and looking for something light to eat. By that time, the meager offerings look and taste well past their "sell by" date and the service is nonexistent. A burger spoils one's appetite for dinner and the pizza is a joke.

Better salad bar choices in the Lido would be great. Include some tuna, ham, shredded cheese, etc. so you could make a meal type salad. We ate waay too many burgers and fries for lunch on our last HAL cruise.

HAL used to have carbonzo beans, baby corn, shredded cheese, and lots of other goodies to top off your salads at lunch.

Sometimes now you see chopped up eggs and sliced radishes.

You can actually stop by the sandwich section to get tuna and ham.

Better food availability hours (longer hours for lunch and dinner, earlier hours for breakfast) and keep the burger and pizza places open past 5pm (like until 10 or 11pm).

Online viewing of ship charges instead of having to ask for a print out every time we want to see it.

Muster drill more handicap friendly, I had to push my way through hordes of people to get to our station while on the scooter and the staff had to get people to move and make a space for me to sit and listen.

Check with the front desk and they will assign you to another area inside to report to.

The only good desserts we have had lately are in the Pinnacle and the Tamarind (0nly on 2 ships).

We used to like HAL's cobblers -- but they have changed and we have found them to be more sour.

Some of the cold soups are not more sour -- bring back the cheesy potato soup, the roasted peach soup.

Ditto more crew, better pizza, and better entertainment. The last two cruises the blues shows were quite popular, but I didn't check in. I always seemed headed for something else I wanted to do. As far as burger and pizza hours, I can't comment on the burgers since I only have, maybe, one on the entire cruise. The pizza is lousy (and I am the sort that enjoys Dominoes) so that is saying a lot for me. But, I recall the pizza place open until fairly late. At least on Eurodam. I'm also all for more alternative dining venues. I am fairly well read on most of the cruise lines, whether I use them or not, and it seems that HAL has the fewest number on it's ships than most of the other's ships of the same or somewhat greater size. What gives? I would eat all meals at alternative restaurants if I cruised NCL or RCI, regardless of service charge. Pinnacle Grill is the only place I would be willing to do that on HAL.

Better salad bar choices in the Lido would be great. Include some tuna, ham, shredded cheese, etc. so you could make a meal type salad. We ate waay too many burgers and fries for lunch on our last HAL cruise.

And croutons. There was no toasted breads or even nuts available for salads.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk