Lower fares - do they "cheapen" your experience?

Mytime2014

I know the exact thread that you are referring and am grateful that another poster commented how condescending the statement was.

In the short time that I have been on CC, I have learned that most of the ideas and criticisms that are vehemently displayed on CC are just that - they are on CC only. These are the opinions of the very small minority who have discovered an outlet to express their opinions. Twenty years ago these would have been the same people who would have called into radio phone in shows but now have online forums to whittle their time.

CBR - I think your assessment is spot on. I will admit to a little pre-cruise anxiety [not fitting in, not knowing the right words or having the "right" clothing] but I've found the non-cruise line boards to be much more helpful and less judgmental, so I'm focusing there when I have a chance to be online.

CBR - I think your assessment is spot on. I will admit to a little pre-cruise anxiety [not fitting in, not knowing the right words or having the "right" clothing] but I've found the non-cruise line boards to be much more helpful and less judgmental, so I'm focusing there when I have a chance to be online.

Your anxiety is normal - you want it to be so special and perfect. We all want that and most times we get it. You will definitely fit in and you will find all the crew and staff so nice and friendly. We attend a lot of the cooking demonstrations and always find the culinary hosts wonderful.

The biggest thing that I have learned when cruising is to not let things get to me. It's a huge ship with thousands of people and sometimes things might not always be perfect. So what? We try a dish we don't like, for instance, we just ask for something else. A meal is served cold in the MDR - no big deal. We just leave and have another meal somewhere else. Lots of choices. Perfect for us is having those choices and you will have them. (oh, and having that afternoon nap also, cause the gentle rocking of the ship and the sounds of the engines and I am out like a light. Those dam ships are great for sleeping :-)).

Demographics of cruise passengers has certainly changed over the years. I started cruising as a kid with my parents over 40 yrs ago. The base prices haven't changed much over the years. I was looking at some old cruise memorabilia and a ticket from 30 yrs ago cost the same as one 2 yrs ago, for same cabin category, itinerary, # of days. Obviously, you have to get less. They (the cruise line industry) won't dare charge more, lest they scare away potential newbies. Just give less, and have WAY more discretionary on board spending. I hope the intent of the OP wasn't that "to cheapen the experience" meant to attract clientele that once upon a time thought cruising was not within their social an financial means. Does any one remember the film "Now Voyager" with Bette Davis? When she was a young girl and she and her mother were on a ship and the mother said to her daughter, played by Bette; "Remember Charlotte, we are not common ocean voyage travelers". God forbid...those "common ocean voyage travelers" might have cheapened their experience!

Negative people need drama like normal people need oxygen.

Remain positive and take their breath away !!! :D

Like this!!! I have a feeling that being on a ship in Alaska is going to take MY breath away

I started cruising as a kid with my parents over 40 yrs ago. The base prices haven't changed much over the years. I was looking at some old cruise memorabilia and a ticket from 30 yrs ago cost the same as one 2 yrs ago, for same cabin category, itinerary, # of days. Obviously, you have to get less.

Keep in mind that with inflation, current cruises do NOT cost the same as they did 40 years ago. For instance, a $1,000 cruise in 1974 would now cost $4,825.56 (source: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=1000&year1=1974&year2=2014 ). And all the same basic amenities available then are still available today for the base fare. How many people would be cruising today if the costs had kept up with inflation? Probably only the wealthy. Certainly not me.

So, for about 20% of the cost of a cruise in the mid '70s, we get a mighty fine value today on beautiful ships with much more to do than on the smaller ships of four decades ago, and they also go to so many more destinations, giving us almost unlimited variety. Also keep in mind that the cabins on those older ships were smaller, typically few had balconies, or even a porthole, there was only one restaurant where you dined at all three meals, and not many entertainment options on board, especially for kids.

I think all of the cruise lines do a fantastic job of providing us with memorable adventures aboard their ships at prices the average person can afford. We're lucky to be living at such a good time.

I am not interested in "the good old days of cruising". I wouldn't be able to afford them. :eek:

Edited by boogs

And all the same basic amenities available then are still available today for the base fare. How many people would be cruising today if the costs had kept up with inflation? Probably only the wealthy. Certainly not me.

So, for about 20% of the cost of a cruise in the mid '70s, we get a mighty fine value today on beautiful ships with much more to do than on the smaller ships of four decades ago, and they also go to so many more destinations, giving us almost unlimited variety. Also keep in mind that the cabins on those older ships were smaller, typically few had balconies, or even a porthole, there was only one restaurant where you dined at all three meals, and not many entertainment options on board, especially for kids.

I think all of the cruise lines do a fantastic job of providing us with memorable adventures aboard their ships at prices the average person can afford. We're lucky to be living at such a good time.

I am not interested in "the good old days of cruising". I wouldn't be able to afford them. :eek:

I realize that a lot of what you say is true. I was lucky enough to start my cruising career as a kid, just when "cruising" was in its infancy. My first ships were Sitmar's wonderful Fairwind out of Fort Lauderdale, and her sister Fairsea on the West coast.

To say that all the same "basic" amenities are available today for less is true in a sense -- and yet also not true. Service and food were both at an elevated level compared with today's ships.

The MDR was comparable to fine dining in a specialty restaurant like Murano. (So, you didn't miss not having specialty restaurants.) Tableside service was common. I remember Caesar salads, pasta dishes, cherries jubilee -- all made by the head waiter at your table. And your waiter and busboy only had two tables to serve (no such thing as a two-top either). Salads dressed at table, meat carved, fish boned, silver service for your sides.

Princess also had a separate pizzeria on board -- a real Italian pizzeria with a brick oven. Every day there were three varieties of pizza available free (2 standard and one special). No extra cost. To this day I miss that pizza!

Entertainment wasn't fabulous -- but then, it's not fabulous today either. The ships had a dedicated cinema though, with a big screen better than you find on most ships today. Also, there was more live music on board. And every activity was free except bingo and wine-tasting. No charges for any exercise or dance classes. (Wait, I take that back, you may have had to pay for skeet shooting off the stern. Now that was entertaining to watch...)

Room stewards had far fewer cabins to service as well. They had time to actually stand and chat for a moment. I seem to remember that every time we stepped out of the cabin for even a minute, he had whisked in and done something (new towels, fruit basket, iced water, beds made and re-made.)

Well, enough of a walk down memory lane. :o Yes, balconies were not common (we never had one, never missed having one), yes we had to dress for diinner nearly every night, yes there was no dedicated buffet, though on sea days they would set up a wonderful poolside buffet and then dismantle it all again after lunch. There was less "high tech" stuff for kids to do, but never did we feel a lack.

So I guess I'd have to say that while cruise ships have done a good job (with a lot of smoke and mirrors) of making it seem that you are still getting the "same basic amenities", it's a hollow "same" -- similar on the surface but not really comparable.

Probably explains why I still prefer smaller ships, resist eating in specialty restaurants, like sharing a table, and don't tend to spend a lot of time in my cabin. :D

On a related note, there's a thread started by someone who got bent out of shape that they paid full fare and someone else, who I gather purchased a discounted fare, got an upgrade. As near as I can figure without knowing the full details of the person's booking, travel agent, etc., they feel they should've had first kick at the cat for the upgrade simply because they paid more.

shaking my head. Once I book a cabin, I don't bother to obsess about what other cabins in the same category are now going for (assuming we'd booked before most cabins have been sold). And since we book a specific cabin (so we get the location we want), I don't obsess about getting an upgrade. If fact, we've been marking our booking "no upgrade."

Princess also had a separate pizzeria on board -- a real Italian pizzeria with a brick oven. Every day there were three varieties of pizza available free (2 standard and one special). No extra cost. To this day I miss that pizza!

Oops, realize I wrote "Princess" where I meant "Sitmar". For those not familiar, Sitmar was bought by Princess. Princess continued to have pizzerias on some of their ships for a while. I think they were on the Coral and Sea Princess....and I think they have been brought back again on the newest ships.

I don't think what's offered by most ships is a "mighty fine value" at all - but we all have different preferences. For those that want to be at a hotel resort at sea, I guess it's a better value, but for those that want to be on a ship traveling the ocean, those larger cabins, fewer dining choices, and more kid centered (or wanna-be-kid centered) entertainment options aren't necessarily a desired benefit.

Different strokes........

A while back someone posted on the Princess board their observation that on sea days the passengers around the ship reading or playing cards must be too cheap to book a larger cabin with a sitting area so as not to take up space in the public areas of the ship. Why anyone would take the time and energy to form such an opinion--let alone put it in print--is beyond me; they were rightly taken to task for it. So please take this as proof that this attitude is by far the exception rather than the rule.

Agree. On our last cruise we had a balcony and sitting, but enjoyed spending time in various public areas.

Unless we are sailing on a large ship again, we will not likely book a balcony. We do find it necessary on the large ships to get away from the crowds and noise.

I don't think what's offered by most ships is a "mighty fine value" at all - but we all have different preferences. For those that want to be at a hotel resort at sea, I guess it's a better value, but for those that want to be on a ship traveling the ocean, those larger cabins, fewer dining choices, and more kid centered (or wanna-be-kid centered) entertainment options aren't necessarily a desired benefit.

Different strokes........

Depends on the cruise line. I have been on most of the well known cruise lines over my cruising background. If you travel only on Carnival or NCL or RCI, I would agree with you somewhat. They do cater to families and are as you call them "kid-centered". But no one forces anyone onto their ships. These cruise lines still offer good value at a much more manageable cost compared to the '70s. And there are other cruise lines out there that present an elegant, refined product at a much more manageable cost compared to what you are are spending on your next cruise. Not everyone can afford to, or wants to, cruise on Crystal lines as you do. And not everyone would look down their noses at those of us who don't. Pomposity is not a attractive personality trait to have.

Edited by swsfrail

Oops, realize I wrote "Princess" where I meant "Sitmar". For those not familiar, Sitmar was bought by Princess. Princess continued to have pizzerias on some of their ships for a while. I think they were on the Coral and Sea Princess....and I think they have been brought back again on the newest ships.

We sailed on the former Crown Princess as well as the former Ocean Princess when she was a new ship. One or the other had a pizzeria. Our first cruise ever was on the former Royal Princess but I do not recall that ship having a pizzeria but she sure served wonderful pasta in MDR. :)

Oh, dear, I don't even know you and yet I feel sad that you had these anxieties! Were they all engendered by reading CC? How horrifying! And the "non-cruise boards" you speak of -- I guess I'm a little confused -- are you getting cruise tips on "non-cruise" boards?

Oh, dear, I don't even know you and yet I feel sad that you had these anxieties! Were they all engendered by reading CC? How horrifying! And the "non-cruise boards" you speak of -- I guess I'm a little confused -- are you getting cruise tips on "non-cruise" boards?

Now I am focusing on the Alaska board, fashion, west coast departures instead of the board for the cruise line and doing much better. I'm addicted tho and its hard to stay away - especially since I'm under 200 hours until sail away!! I'm going to pamper me a little this weekend, do laundry and pack to leave on Thursday for Seattle. It is going to be a blast!

to be honest, my son would tell you - if there is nothing to worry about, I worry that I'm missing something!!! THAT is a work in process.... :o

I understand the OP's anxieties. When you find yourself visiting boards with thread after thread of posters complaining about the cutbacks, the watering down of service, smokers, tippers, other passengers not being dressed to their standards....it can start to have an effect on you.

But here is what we discovered on our cruise. All the posters complaining about having to pay corkage for wine - we didn't hear a peep about it whenever we embarked on the ship. No one commented on how anyone else was dressed. Our next door neighbour smoked on their balcony and it didn't bother us one little bit. We found everyone to be very friendly and helpful and the most common complaint amongst other passengers we spoke with was, "I am eating wayyy too much." We didn't hear anyone lament that they weren't getting enough or that the service wasn't enough.

And on our next cruise, the same thing happened. Everyone was having a wonderful time. Loved the ship, loved the service. I will admit, there were 2 common themes this time: we were in Alaska and the first was, "I brought the wrong clothes, the weather is so beautiful" and the second, of course, "We spend so much time dining".

You learn a lot on CC, some of it really helpful and will enable you to enjoy your cruise even more. But sometimes, boy do you ever have to waddle through a lot to get it. :)

LOL about the pomposity -- nothing at all like the pomposity of people who not only think but say outright that others are 'suckers' for not getting the so-called great deal that they did (rolling my eyes). I am certainly not looking down at people who enjoy those kid-wannabe entertainment options, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't like or want them. Why does my preference offend you?

These cruise lines still offer good value at a much more manageable cost compared to the '70s.

I still maintain that it's not great value if what they're selling isn't what you want. Yes, the price may still be attractive in today's dollars if you want what they're selling at that price, but if it doesn't appeal, no price would make it a good value.

Don't confuse value with price.

I cruise with Crystal because they offer a product I like, and because I appreciate not having to pay almost double to travel solo. That's important to me, whereas for others it either may not apply or may not be important. To each his/her own, which is apparently something you're not willing to accept ;)

Edited by calliopecruiser
formatting

Now I am focusing on the Alaska board, fashion, west coast departures instead of the board for the cruise line and doing much better. I'm addicted tho and its hard to stay away - especially since I'm under 200 hours until sail away!! I'm going to pamper me a little this weekend, do laundry and pack to leave on Thursday for Seattle. It is going to be a blast!

to be honest, my son would tell you - if there is nothing to worry about, I worry that I'm missing something!!! THAT is a work in process.... :o

Use what info that is helpful and ignore the rest, but most of all have a great time in Alaska. :)

I have never been asked what type of cabin we were in and we have never asked anyone we've met on board which cabin. We're more interested in whether they've cruised before' date=' maybe where they live (it could be someplace we've visited or are interested in visiting).

If someone starts boasting about being in a suite, I think I would just nod, maybe ask if they like their cabin. But I'm not going to assume anything along the lines of how they afforded it (maybe they got a special or an upgrade, maybe it was an anniversary present to themselves, maybe they got a ton of money -- it's none of our business).[/quote']

the one and only time was on Princess and we had anytime dining. One night at dinner we sat with a couple whose last name was my maiden name. Well I had seen that was our neighbors across the hall name so I asked them if they were on the aloha deck near room # (ours)and yep they were. Now we had booked a balcony, nothing special about it, except yes we had a balcony,and so yes I realized they were in an inside, (probably the mirror of our room, without a balcony)not that I cared but they felt the need to to tel us they preferred booking an inside in order to cruise more often, we did not let it bother us, we simply replied, becasue of hubby's vacation times , and him have to spend some of that with family,etc, that normally we could only book once a year, which was why we liked to book a balcony to enjoy it since we could not go as often.